Crews and stepping up in tier advice

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Zombie_Mortis #1 Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:09 PM

Private

• 4265 battles

Hey guys.

Have been playing WOT for a couple of months off and on, but my BAD WN8 rating tells me i am still a beginner/new player.

I started playing a couple of years ago and liked the faster light tanks so have followed the Light tank path for a bit. (probably starting out in the lights was not the best choice at the time)

I liked the locus and then stepped up to the leapard. Scouting seems to be a good option for me also as camping is a easy option when my pings get up around the 300ms on SG.  (ANZ server is much better but take so long to get into a match). 

(I like this tank except for the fact that the tracks fall off any time someone looks at it).

I have it Elite and crew at 60% on second skill, but only about a 45% win rating.  (finally got the 1500Hp spotting mission complete in this last night)

Looks like the VK 28.01 is going to be an expensive grind but may be a slightly better tank.

Question is when stepping up to a new tier tank do you guys usually start a new crew or bring your lower tier crew up and perhaps start a new crew for the lower tier tank..

Thinking: Being I like the Leopard and its the only tank above tier 4 I have really used so far, i should start a new crew for the VK and start again, but I know this is going to take some time with my play level.

guessing switching the crew between the two is not really a workable option.

Also wondering if it is worth continuing with this tech path as it looks like the rest of the German lights are very low armoured tanks too.

Any advice appreciated.

spacewolf #2 Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:22 PM

I still think it's morally wrong so in fact I'm right.

• Beta-Tester
  • 69575 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

You're only 2k games in, so there's plenty of time to change your stats.

As for grind lines, the first thing to consider is doing a line you're interested in. Simply grinding a line because someone else thinks you should is going to make it feel like a chore.

Second thing is do your research. If you're ever going to play end game content - clan wars - you'll need useable tier 10's. Have a look through previous threads about tanks that are mentioned and how they get used.

Skills - I always use the same crew for the line I am grinding. By the time tier 10 rolls around you'll have a 3 skill crew usually, depending on your avg xp per game.

To fix your stats, watch a few streamers like Val and Saffee. Read threads like Proloser's. You tube vids - the list of online resources is near endless. TBH I'd just watch Saff , Pro and Val tho, you'll learn quite a lot from those 3 alone.

Good luck on your journey :)

Proudly sponsored by WG

The_average_tanker #3 Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:43 PM

Wallet warrior extraordinaire!

• 10884 battles
  • [F-S-A] F-S-A

Well you are a relatively new player. So do not think of stats for now. Also lights are a very difficult class to do well in (i cant do it even now). So do not be hard on yourself.

As for the crew question, i recommend you move up your crew into the next tank. But be in no hurry to move up. play at the lower tiers for a while to learn the maps, etc and then move up.

A few recommendations i have:

1. Branch out. Like i said lights are extremely difficult to do well in and are extremely punishing. Also playing the other tank classes will give you a better idea of how the other classes play. playing tds show you regular td spots and where you need to be careful of shots coming from. same about artillery. Heavies and mediums are much more forgiving and are ideally what you should be starting with. Another advantage of branching out that you can get campaign missions completed (in tier 4+ tanks). these campaign missions give out some really cool prizes so are worth it. i would recommend the russian heavies, russian mediums, american tds and american arty. these are my personal choices and you can change them up, but are generally recommended for new comers. You can also try the british/ american mediums for tanks with gun depression which can play a ridge line well.

2. depending on how much time you have, i recommend you watch a lot of streams/ youtube videos. If you like tank gameplay/ scouting just check out 4tankersanddog (http://forum.worldof...ting-locations/) and ilya red on youtube. other streamers/ youtubers i can recommend are Circon (great guy, plays lower tiers too), Val, Quickybaby as you are a new player (but do not stick around long), Zeven (very good teacher), skill4ltu (focusses on 3 marking but great guy and gameplay). remember focus on their positioning, where they are going on the map and try to understand their thought process. If you can only see one guy, i would recommend Zeven. Also check out Cody Menz aka Wotguru. he has the wotguru site too with lots of guide and stuff and he streams on youtube too.

3. Try out the wot university clan maybe. they can help you out as they have training sessions where you can get to pick up a few good pointers.

Feel free to ask anything here.

Edited by The_average_tanker, 17 May 2018 - 01:43 PM.

ThomChen114 #4 Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:18 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 35200 battles
An important part of branching out and trying several other tanks from other nations adn types is that way you'll better understand how those tank work and how to beat them. Even SPGs too. 

Owned Tier 10s: Obj 907, IS-7, Obj 140, M60, M48A5 Patton, STB-1, WZ-111 5A, 113, Centurion Action X, Super Conqueror, Badger

Zombie_Mortis #5 Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:46 PM

Private

• 4265 battles

Thanks guys.

I think playing some games in Frontline showed me a new side of the game at higher tier and I wanted to get into these games only with out the crappy FL rentals, so I may have been looking to step up too soon.

_EzioAuditore_ #6 Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:50 PM

Rushes mid every game :^)

• 58731 battles
  • [MYTH] MYTH

The higher tier german (or others) lights aren't really that good anymore after the light rebalance.
Heavy, Medium and TDs are pretty much what you will see for the most part in higher tier random battles and used mostly for clan wars.

There isn't much point retraining crew below t5, start keeping a set of crew from t5 and move them up the line. Ideally you should have 2-3 crew skills by tier x, make use of crew exp bonuses and boosters to do so.
With so little battles stats doesn't really matter, spend the time learning the game first and having fun, grinding crew skills and choosing tanks to play which suit your playstyle

http://forum.wotlabs.net/
http://wiki.wargamin.../World_of_Tanks
These two will help as well as this forum, just ask whenever you have questions.

Obj 260 Get! 296/300 done with honors!  75/75 obj 260 missions done,71 with honours! :^)

3 mark: 1390 leo pta is-7 e5 t26a 2 mark: m46,obj 907, 50100, e100, batchat 25t,  t57 heavy, grille 15, obj 140, is-6, is-3, vkd, pzivh, mutz, spic, CAX, 113

Helljumper, Helljumper, where you been? Feet first into hell and back again! When I die please bury me deep! Place an MA5 down by my feet! Don't cry for me, don't shed no tear!
Just pack my box with PT gear! Cuz one early morning 'bout zero-five! The ground will rumble, there'll be lightning in the sky!
Don't you worry, don't come undone! It's just my ghost on a PT run!

http://cdn-frm-sg.wa...-1407289026.gif

Zombie_Mortis #7 Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:06 AM

Private

• 4265 battles

Started playing Tier 4 medium last night...  must say it gave me an idea of how important the job I have been doing in my light tank was to my team.

almost every game i played I got killed by someone who was not lite up on the map.

One game I managed to be first killed, Took 4 hits in about 3 seconds (and there has not even been a single red dot on the map even 10 seconds after I was killed). Have to get used to not being the first to push forward after some many scout games.

ThomChen114 #8 Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:53 AM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 35200 battles
Being in a light tank can be a thankless job, but it's still essential on a lot of maps despite what others might say about it.

Owned Tier 10s: Obj 907, IS-7, Obj 140, M60, M48A5 Patton, STB-1, WZ-111 5A, 113, Centurion Action X, Super Conqueror, Badger

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users