The Arty... How do We avoid it?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

FramFramson #21 Posted 11 June 2018 - 03:43 PM

Major

• 38763 battles

I don't care about doing all the missions with honours necessarily, but I just want to be able to complete one mission set for the 260 and then blow 16 orders and never think about that campaign again.

LT-playing masochist. It's too much fun to be a mosquito.

izgoy0899 #22 Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:37 AM

Corporal

• 1494 battles
It's the level of accuracy that has been annoying me.  Full speed in a LT, boom.  Full speed in a turn in a LT, boom.  Actively turning to evade in a LT or MT a second after your 6st sense goes off, yep you guessed it....boom. 

Edited by medoyehd, 12 June 2018 - 02:37 AM.

FramFramson #23 Posted 12 June 2018 - 04:04 AM

Major

• 38763 battles
Accuracy is not necessary if your splash radius is large enough... :trollface:

daNEBish #24 Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:23 AM

Private

• 2081 battles

@ OP

I'm currently trying to grind my first HT and yes I agree it is frustrating but to be fair it is only REALLY bad on some maps, open maps mostly.  To give some credit to WG, remember that they have limited arty to 3 in a match as opposed to the bad old days when there was NO limit (ok I rarely saw more than 3 on a side anyway).  +2 matchmaking is probably the real problem as I can weather somewhat the arty from my tier and +1 but +2 can usually one shot me.

The quick answer to your question is unfortunately if you're in a heavy, and there is no arty cover you can't really - but let me elaborate.

The answer is highly dependent on which map you're on and the battlefield situation.  I will try to plan where I'm going to stand and fight - depending on what cover is available, how many arty there is and what tier they are.  If that means I need to let the enemy push in more than normal - so be it!  No point sitting there getting shelled and doing nothing.  If there is just no cover then I generally have 2 options:

1) I push HARD with my team, basically try to do as much damage as possible before the arty inevitably kills me.  Just keep moving and focus down enemies that your team is targeting.

2) focus on NOT being spotted, try and re-cloak up before reengaging - some arty players have short focus times so if you disappear and are not in an obvious spot they'll just focus on something else, which buys you time to reengage the enemy and by the time arty re aims for you, you disappear again.  Obviously this is heavily dependent on what else is going on on the field but it can be an option at times, just keep it in the back of your head.

Be advised that I'm not hugely experienced or consider myself a great player - This is based solely on my personal experience in games and finding what has worked and what hasn't.  Don't feel pressured to just blindly charge at the enemy either.  Think about the situation and use YOUR judgement to determine the best strategy.

FOR MEDIUMS, LIGHT TANKS

Just keep moving really - keep in mind that arty is just as capable of "lucky" shots same as any other tank - so if you're in the open and spotted then it doesn't matter how much you maneuver you will not completely eliminate the chance of arty hitting you - BUT YOU WILL SIGNIFICANTLY DECREASE IT.

Hope this helps you out.

azmania3000 #25 Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:29 PM

Captain

• 43006 battles
  • [BURN] BURN

View PostWarhammer124, on 08 June 2018 - 09:11 PM, said:

So anyways, I conclude this post with a question: How exactly do avoid arty? When they pick me for a target, it stays that way for the rest of the match.

1). Expect arty to focus you every game. 

2). Do the WASD worm dance; Pick a spot on the ground and WASD around this spot, without passing through it. Be predictable and you will be shot.

3). Disengage, relocate if possible.

4). Achieve a high W/R then get XVM focused anyway. Now you can win games by having 3 arty focus your tank, while the rest of the team shoots stuff and has fun

FramFramson #26 Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:37 PM

Major

• 38763 battles
I will say that when I play arty, few things piss me off more than a guy who's been slowly reversing but then moves forward the instant I line up and press fire.

Mother_Of_All_Rommel #27 Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:38 PM

Ambassador of silly strat

• 20908 battles

View Postazmania3000, on 12 June 2018 - 02:29 PM, said:

1). Expect arty to focus you every game. 

2). Do the WASD worm dance; Pick a spot on the ground and WASD around this spot, without passing through it. Be predictable and you will be shot.

3). Disengage, relocate if possible.

4). Achieve a high W/R then get XVM focused anyway. Now you can win games by having 3 arty focus your tank, while the rest of the team shoots stuff and has fun

No need high w/r to get focused, just being the biggest thing to hit is enough.

They are rage, brutal without mercy. But you, you will be worse. Rip and tear until it is done.

azmania3000 #28 Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:46 PM

Captain

• 43006 battles
  • [BURN] BURN

View PostMother_Of_All_Rommel, on 12 June 2018 - 05:38 PM, said:

No need high w/r to get focused, just being the biggest thing to hit is enough.

yeah that can work too. Japan HT are bigger than some houses

kickim #29 Posted 12 June 2018 - 04:22 PM

First lieutenant

• 44729 battles
  • [CALM] CALM

a few tips I have learned.. the hard way.

1) look out for pock marks/craters on the ground. If arty can hit there, it can hit again...dun park near that.

2) look out for stunned friendly tanks, and the stun timer. It can give you clues like, arty had just fired so it is reloading.

3) some helpful players will ping likely arty locations after getting hit, can roughly guess direction and location with the damage indicator. use that information to figure out arty safe zones.

4) count the arty reload times.

5) look at enemy list before game starts, look out for :

- high tier arty, big damage, big splash

- bc arty, autoloader, multiple hits, long reload between clips

- high arc arty, not safe unless behind cover higher than 2 stories...even then not completely safe.

In 3 arty situations, dun be the only tank spotted by the enemy... steel rain will fall imminently.

Expect 1 shell every 10 sec or so...

TL;DR, Invisibility is your armour.

Sir_Direkin #30 Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:55 PM

Purveyor of Salt

• 10226 battles

View Postazmania3000, on 12 June 2018 - 03:46 PM, said:

yeah that can work too. Japan HT are bigger than some houses

And yet my M40/M43 can still miss it by lobbing a shell right over it. Oh RNG...

But you play derp, you deserve to get artied.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCumyqpRUeOPCy1RcKXl96VA

2nd MoE: AMX 12t, KV-85, M6 Heavy, M24 Chaffee, T-34, T-50, T1 Heavy

FramFramson #31 Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:06 AM

Major

• 38763 battles
Also: Don't park in the middle of 3 other tanks. Nothing is quite such a wonderful target to see as a half-dozen idiots all trying to hang on to a spot designed for one or two tanks, bumping into each other and generally making sure there's a jam-up where no one is moving much.

Puggsley #32 Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:34 PM

Captain

• 61880 battles
  • [LEFT] LEFT
As good a place as any!!

Was going to put something together on my findings from days of watching super Unicom and how much they get targeted by arty but with the recent WG shenanigans I totally lost interest in WoT!

Anyway this is based on over 500 games watching only YETI players who are deep purple unicums. I wanted to understand can sniping initially.

Some people will disagree with my analysis but deniers gonna deny. The vast majority of arty stories are anecdotes, not a steady stream of results over say 15 games.

Most times you face 1 or 2 arty and usually 1. Server average is a very consistent 1.35 per game. Facing 3 arty is uncommon and the price you pay for zero arty games.

A very common result is you get hit by arty once every two games. Even top players with zero xvm cover (best clan and super Unicom) get about this result.

Getting focused by arty is pretty uncommon, arty fires into congregation zones in the first part of the game and rarely at one player. As the game goes on and there are less targets arty will focus on spotted tanks wherever they are. Avoid choke points at the start of the game and arty will not bother you too much. If you go to choke points use every scrap of cover there is, arty will fire at easy targets first.

A common  misconception is not poking in the same place. Top players totally ignore this and don't get punished by arty, even when playing in choke points. See bol's streams to see this. What they do is poke where they can be hull down. This makes it a little harder to hit than a flat corner. And if splashed then enemy can only shoot turrets. Cal and Bol were hardly ever repairing tracks after getting hit by arty because they fight from hull down spots. Poke on a corner and you are asking for it.

NEVER park next to another tank. Arty loves multiple targets and this is by far the worst thing you can do. Can't stress how dangerous this is DONT DO IT!!!

Get close to arty and you make it a lot harder for them, small obstacles become serious cover. Arty does not punish aggressive play as much as is commonly said. Watch saffe or Bol to see this. Saffe in particular. They play hyper aggressively and don't suffer much arty attention, certainly when you consider they stay alive for so long.

Camp and arty will not hurt you except for when your team is loosing map control. Then you will get smashed, not because of who you are, but because your are one of the last targets and the arty is pre aiming on likely spots. Was amazing how much damage crazib took when he was playing a support tank and his team lost map control.

Arty punishes silly play. Good players fight at choke points to get the damage in but fight by themselves and hull down. They take little arty damage as a result and almost no damage while stunned.

Keeping map control is vital. Win one flank at least. Arty works best when the choice of target areas is reduced. This happens at the start of the game and when you don't win a flanknand get boxed in.

Proloser_The_Atomistic #33 Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:26 AM

No hOpE left.

• 26179 battles

Arty also punishes non-silly play on a lot of maps maps regardless of how much one wiggles. Serene coast C1 or Steppes lower side push for example is awful with arty. Not because of XVM focus/general focus but because there being no arty cover + that being a main choke point. Hill on malinovka, mid on glacier, HT brawl corner on mannerheim line, and K line or mid on sand river are some others that are bad too that I can remember off the top of my head. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users