Help me choose a T9 Heavy

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

FramFramson #1 Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:59 AM

Major

• 38763 battles

I don't have a T9 Heavy anymore and was thinking about getting one again. Currently looking at Russian, French, Chinese, or possibly Polish. I have Russian, French, and Chinese HT trainers (and I will probably break down and buy the super-Defender Polish premium), and other than the British line, nothing is really grabbing my attention.

As far as other nations go, the 103 is pain even though I'm researching the American line, and while the Conqueror and Juan Juan Juan Juan Four are technically options under consideration, I have zero British or Chinese tech tree tanks (though I do however have a Chinese Heavy crew, which is the only real reason I'd still consider grinding out the 11114).

The leftovers... well... German Heavies - forget it. Not interested. The AMX 50 120 is easily the worst of all the autoloading French heavies. The Emil 2's gun handling means you might as well have Parkinsons when playing it. Type 4 is memes but I'm not sure I want to play something so slow that the buildings on the map can outrun it.

So anyway... At TX, I currently enjoy the IS7 a lot, as I always love playing the fast, heavily armoured breakthrough role, dragging along the team to the fight. It's my best TX, even though it's technically not my favourite - but it is fun. The IS-7 is pretty idiot-proof.

Looking at the options, here's my quick take:

257 - Garbage frontal armour, very strong side armour, horribly derpy gun. Not sure how this is meant to be played without figuring out how to drive sideways.

705 - Slow. Good Alpha. Massively armoured turret but surprisingly soft hull. Fantastic for sidescraping, but shit at hull-downing so need to choose engagements wisely. The TX seems like the real deal with it's huge alpha and armoured hull. The T9 seems like it would come up short in a lot of instances.

ST1 - Similar to the 705, but obviously better at hull-downing (best dep among T9 Russian HTs), so the drawbacks are switched. I think a lot of what was unique about the ST-1 has been used on otehr tanks now though, so it's not super-attractive. Plus it leads to a pretty garbage TX.

T10 - Great all around other than the absolutely crap hull, which was frustrating for me at times. Bonus is that all I'd need to do is re-buy it and stick a new crew in it. No grind of any sort needed.

M451 - All about that Frontal armour. Good DPM and gun dep and decent mobility too. Worst pen among my choices though. Familiar with the playstyle from the M4 49. Probably the best of the French traditional heavies, tier for tier. I have also have a 4-skill crew just sitting in the M4 49 currently (well, technically they're my BDR crew, but I can stick a new crew in that).

11114 - An inferior T-10 with the usual Chinese big alpha as a tradeoff. Honestly the T-10 has pretty great alpha already, so I really don't see myself chasing this one. The only advantage is that I have a 3-skill crew already trained and ready to go.

50TP - (BASED ONLY ON SUPERTEST STATS - subject to change). Slow as dirt with seemingly poor armour, but a big HP pool, best gun dep, and big fat alpha (high rolls for 700+ dmg will be memes). Good pen too. A lot will depend on how the armour performs in-game - even though the values seem quite low, the hull is heavily sloped (more than 45 degrees) and the turret front is almost entirely gun mantlet; plus, hulldown.

I have the T-10 and the 257 unlocked, but don't mind backtracking to grind a new one. I could also backtrack fairly easily in the French line (I only have the autoloaders unlocked). China would be a grind from the bottom, so that counts against them. No idea what the Chinese heavy grind is like up to T9 as I've never seriously looked at it. How bad is the 110 to play? Similar to the Alpine? Obviously the Poles would be a new grind as well.

Anyway, the top contenders are probably the T-10, M4 51, or 50 TP (last one subject to testing).

Edited by FramFramson, 14 June 2018 - 11:01 AM.

LT-playing masochist. It's too much fun to be a mosquito.

Ezz #2 Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:03 AM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 64069 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

T10 is great. It benefits from glorious raashan side armor, a good turret as well as having a great gun and mobility. Plus the 277 looks like a worthwhile 10 to grind.

Of the others, 705 very meh. Didn't enjoy. 257 never played but seems pretty meh to fight against. ST1 never played but might be interesting if you can get its armor to work.

Edited by Ezz, 14 June 2018 - 11:05 AM.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

Mystblade #3 Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:05 AM

Sergeant

• Community Contributor
  • 11607 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

My pick's for tier 9 heavy would be the t-10.. absolutely beast of a tank even with the weaker hull. The speed and maneuverability and the gun on it are great.

That would be my pick since others you have ruled out.

FramFramson #4 Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:14 AM

Major

• 38763 battles

View PostMystblade, on 13 June 2018 - 10:05 PM, said:

My pick's for tier 9 heavy would be the t-10.. absolutely beast of a tank even with the weaker hull. The speed and maneuverability and the gun on it are great.

That would be my pick since others you have ruled out.

Yeah, I know I ruled out a lot. Grinding German HTs would be an absolute nightmare, and there's nothing that's all that amazing in any of the lines other than the Tiger I, E75, and Maus, none of which I'm really a fan of the playstyle of. The others have their faults, though maybe I'm being a bit too harsh on the M103.

crazib #5 Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:00 PM

Captain

• 54797 battles
  • [CROWN] CROWN

imo the best tier 9 HT is the amx m4 51, good armor and decent mobility. do not ever use the 127mm gun as the pen on that is utter trash, instead go with the stock 120mm and lolrolfstomp everything in your way. 

then my tied in 2nd  best HT would be the t-10 and the wz juan juan juan juan dash four. The wz has that painful boomstick, but overall has weaker armor then the t-10 due to the 2 cupolas on the turret. But i still like it mainly because i know how to manage the weakspots on the wz111 just by making erratic movements. The t-10 is mobile and can hulldown comfortably and has better gun handling then the wz

Edited by crazib, 14 June 2018 - 12:05 PM.

Come visit my stream: twitch.tv/crazib

my replays thread

The_average_tanker #6 Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:17 PM

Wallet warrior extraordinaire!

• 10596 battles
  • [F-S-A] F-S-A

T-10 all the way. Decent mobility, good gun, workable armor.

I have heard so many good things about the WZ 111-11111111111-4, and so many bad things about the tanks up to tier 9, that i am considering free xping the line up to tier 9.

_EzioAuditore_ #7 Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:46 PM

Rushes mid every game :^)

• 58309 battles
  • [MYTH] MYTH
amx m4 41, t10, wz-11111111114 and st-1(In that order, though for me I rather liked the st-1 almost as much as amx m4 41, and t-10 close enough, didn't really like the wz lmao)

Obj 260 Get! 296/300 done with honors!  75/75 obj 260 missions done,71 with honours! :^)

3 mark: 1390 leo pta is-7 e5 t26a 2 mark: m46,obj 907, 50100, e100, batchat 25t,  t57 heavy, grille 15, obj 140, is-6, is-3, vkd, pzivh, mutz, spic, CAX, 113

Helljumper, Helljumper, where you been? Feet first into hell and back again! When I die please bury me deep! Place an MA5 down by my feet! Don't cry for me, don't shed no tear!
Just pack my box with PT gear! Cuz one early morning 'bout zero-five! The ground will rumble, there'll be lightning in the sky!
Don't you worry, don't come undone! It's just my ghost on a PT run!

http://cdn-frm-sg.wa...-1407289026.gif

crazib #8 Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:55 PM

Captain

• 54797 battles
  • [CROWN] CROWN
noteable mention would be the buffed conqueror

Come visit my stream: twitch.tv/crazib

my replays thread

AKASHA178 #9 Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:18 PM

Smurfette

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 33727 battles
  • [CRAZY] CRAZY

View PostFramFramson, on 14 June 2018 - 10:59 AM, said:

I don't have a T9 Heavy anymore and was thinking about getting one again. Currently looking at Russian, French, Chinese, or possibly Polish. I have Russian, French, and Chinese HT trainers (and I will probably break down and buy the super-Defender Polish premium), and other than the British line, nothing is really grabbing my attention.

As far as other nations go, the 103 is pain even though I'm researching the American line, and while the Conqueror and Juan Juan Juan Juan Four are technically options under consideration, I have zero British or Chinese tech tree tanks (though I do however have a Chinese Heavy crew, which is the only real reason I'd still consider grinding out the 11114).

The leftovers... well... German Heavies - forget it. Not interested. The AMX 50 120 is easily the worst of all the autoloading French heavies. The Emil 2's gun handling means you might as well have Parkinsons when playing it. Type 4 is memes but I'm not sure I want to play something so slow that the buildings on the map can outrun it.

So anyway... At TX, I currently enjoy the IS7 a lot, as I always love playing the fast, heavily armoured breakthrough role, dragging along the team to the fight. It's my best TX, even though it's technically not my favourite - but it is fun. The IS-7 is pretty idiot-proof.

Looking at the options, here's my quick take:

257 - Garbage frontal armour, very strong side armour, horribly derpy gun. Not sure how this is meant to be played without figuring out how to drive sideways.

705 - Slow. Good Alpha. Massively armoured turret but surprisingly soft hull. Fantastic for sidescraping, but shit at hull-downing so need to choose engagements wisely. The TX seems like the real deal with it's huge alpha and armoured hull. The T9 seems like it would come up short in a lot of instances.

ST1 - Similar to the 705, but obviously better at hull-downing (best dep among T9 Russian HTs), so the drawbacks are switched. I think a lot of what was unique about the ST-1 has been used on otehr tanks now though, so it's not super-attractive. Plus it leads to a pretty garbage TX.

T10 - Great all around other than the absolutely crap hull, which was frustrating for me at times. Bonus is that all I'd need to do is re-buy it and stick a new crew in it. No grind of any sort needed.

M451 - All about that Frontal armour. Good DPM and gun dep and decent mobility too. Worst pen among my choices though. Familiar with the playstyle from the M4 49. Probably the best of the French traditional heavies, tier for tier. I have also have a 4-skill crew just sitting in the M4 49 currently (well, technically they're my BDR crew, but I can stick a new crew in that).

11114 - An inferior T-10 with the usual Chinese big alpha as a tradeoff. Honestly the T-10 has pretty great alpha already, so I really don't see myself chasing this one. The only advantage is that I have a 3-skill crew already trained and ready to go.

50TP - (BASED ONLY ON SUPERTEST STATS - subject to change). Slow as dirt with seemingly poor armour, but a big HP pool, best gun dep, and big fat alpha (high rolls for 700+ dmg will be memes). Good pen too. A lot will depend on how the armour performs in-game - even though the values seem quite low, the hull is heavily sloped (more than 45 degrees) and the turret front is almost entirely gun mantlet; plus, hulldown.

I have the T-10 and the 257 unlocked, but don't mind backtracking to grind a new one. I could also backtrack fairly easily in the French line (I only have the autoloaders unlocked). China would be a grind from the bottom, so that counts against them. No idea what the Chinese heavy grind is like up to T9 as I've never seriously looked at it. How bad is the 110 to play? Similar to the Alpine? Obviously the Poles would be a new grind as well.

Anyway, the top contenders are probably the T-10, M4 51, or 50 TP (last one subject to testing).

T-10, Mauschen, conqueror and M103

In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him.

more than 400 new vehicles are still planned for World of Tanks

Mother_Of_All_Rommel #10 Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:41 PM

Ambassador of silly strat

• 20908 battles
My personal fave right now would be T-10 > E75 > Type 4 > 705 > 257.
Good to know T9 french M4 51 are good. That line was in my target list to grind, 50B just dont look as good.

They are rage, brutal without mercy. But you, you will be worse. Rip and tear until it is done.

Alastor_N #11 Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:53 PM

Bish Bash Bosh

• In-Training Moderator
  • 10664 battles
  • [HKUE] HKUE

I played the IS-7 line back when T-10 was a part of it. And my ultimate goal is not the is-7, it is the T-10. It is just a great tank with great fun and mobility. Don’t rely on its armour. It is more like a heavy-medium. Fight mediums so you are more likely to bounce their shots. Back in the days, T-10 at tier 9 had better gun handling, better accuracy, better penetration, better DPM and arguably better mobility their the tier 10 IS-7, so apart from the armour, there really wasn’t many point for me to play the is-7. Now however the gun handling of is-7 has improved, it has improved mobility so it is more relevant.

You can’t go wrong with the T-10, go for it. 

Hate the game, not the player

mttspiii #12 Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:58 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 29563 battles
  • [CALM] CALM

- T-10 is fun, and (apparently) leads to a comfy (if overnerfed) Russian tier X

- ST-I was too passive for me. Hull is too soft to push comfortably. True, the turret is still good, but its "epic turret" days were from a time when its contemporaries had pathetic pre-buffed turret armor (Conq, T-10). Only good reason to play ST-I, is because with the introduction of the MTLS, WG might add the ST-II.

- 257 was meh. Front armor was bad. I did once manage to drive it like a crab, but my enemies already know how to autopen my turret roof so it went garbage can.

- AMX M4 51 is apparently the best in its line (AMX 65t worst tier 8, AMX M4 54 isn't CW material). Should be a serious contender for your list...

- AMX 50 120 is not really bad at all. It may not wipe out a same-tier HT like AMX 50 100, it may not have any gun elevation at all, but WG recently buffed its gun depression to -9 which is USA-level. Its 4-shot 120mm handles relatively decently, and of all the AMX tanks it has the best arty resistance and sidescrape potential of them all with 80mm hull sides.

- WZ1114 leads to CW-able tier X'es, and has a good gun...and that's it. The 110 is easily one of the worse tier 8's, the grind to the 1114's elite gun is bad, and the 1114's armor profile itself has module issues that the T-10 doesn't get.

- Conq is good ever since the turret buff. Problem is, your only crew trainers for it atm would either be the HMS ToggyMcTogFace, or the FV201 (WG still hasn't released their horrid hybrid Caern Action X). Another problem is, you'd have to go through the Churchill VII and Black Prince, which are both way behind the meta. Past the Churchills though, you start getting comfy decent tanks with 2.8k DPM like Caern onwards.

You don't even consider the 4502B?

Edited by mttspiii, 14 June 2018 - 02:00 PM.

I'm fierce and I'm feeling mighty,

I'm a golden girl, I'm an Aphrodite

MagicalFlyingFox #13 Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:06 PM

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW

• Beta-Tester
  • 29989 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostAKASHA178, on 14 June 2018 - 03:18 PM, said:

T-10, Mauschen, conqueror and M103

M103 has been absolute trash ever since the conquerer was a thing. 

http://www.theuselessweb.com/

A. Guy on 02 June 2018 - 12:40 AM, said:

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW... says it all about you.

FramFramson #14 Posted 14 June 2018 - 03:40 PM

Major

• 38763 battles

View Postmttspiii, on 14 June 2018 - 12:58 AM, said:

- T-10 is fun, and (apparently) leads to a comfy (if overnerfed) Russian tier X

- ST-I was too passive for me. Hull is too soft to push comfortably. True, the turret is still good, but its "epic turret" days were from a time when its contemporaries had pathetic pre-buffed turret armor (Conq, T-10). Only good reason to play ST-I, is because with the introduction of the MTLS, WG might add the ST-II.

- 257 was meh. Front armor was bad. I did once manage to drive it like a crab, but my enemies already know how to autopen my turret roof so it went garbage can.

- AMX M4 51 is apparently the best in its line (AMX 65t worst tier 8, AMX M4 54 isn't CW material). Should be a serious contender for your list...

- AMX 50 120 is not really bad at all. It may not wipe out a same-tier HT like AMX 50 100, it may not have any gun elevation at all, but WG recently buffed its gun depression to -9 which is USA-level. Its 4-shot 120mm handles relatively decently, and of all the AMX tanks it has the best arty resistance and sidescrape potential of them all with 80mm hull sides.

- WZ1114 leads to CW-able tier X'es, and has a good gun...and that's it. The 110 is easily one of the worse tier 8's, the grind to the 1114's elite gun is bad, and the 1114's armor profile itself has module issues that the T-10 doesn't get.

- Conq is good ever since the turret buff. Problem is, your only crew trainers for it atm would either be the HMS ToggyMcTogFace, or the FV201 (WG still hasn't released their horrid hybrid Caern Action X). Another problem is, you'd have to go through the Churchill VII and Black Prince, which are both way behind the meta. Past the Churchills though, you start getting comfy decent tanks with 2.8k DPM like Caern onwards.

You don't even consider the 4502B?

The biggest problem with the 50 120 is the MASSIVE interclip.

Anyway, looks like the top contenders are the ones I was already looking at: the T-10 and AMX M4 51. They have different enough play styles (Heavium vs Riot Shield) that maybe I'll just get both.

Too bad the 65t is so godawful (and is at the dreaded T8), that I will almost certainly just free XP it...

FramFramson #15 Posted 14 June 2018 - 03:41 PM

Major

• 38763 battles

View PostMagicalFlyingFox, on 14 June 2018 - 01:06 AM, said:

M103 has been absolute trash ever since the conquerer was a thing. 

I still want to get the E5, but I refuse to go further up the US HT line until the M013 and even the T32 get some love.

Politx_killer #16 Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:56 PM

Loard of Luck™

• Beta-Tester
  • 41845 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

Best T9 heavy is the T30. Not even joking.

M103 is alright, just maintain 200m+ from the enemy to utilise its weird armour profiles. (great all rounder, E5 is sorta meh) 

Edited by Politx_killer, 14 June 2018 - 05:57 PM.

Forever duelling with pistols for Reaps hat collection.

Also just for Feet

FramFramson #17 Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:45 AM

Major

• 38763 battles

View PostPolitx_killer, on 14 June 2018 - 04:56 AM, said:

Best T9 heavy is the T30. Not even joking.

I get where you're coming from - I can totally see this.

ThomChen114 #18 Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:17 AM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 35024 battles

T-10 is just a right balance of mobility, protection, and firepower.

The 65t sucks, and the KV-4 as well. 

Edited by ThomChen114, 15 June 2018 - 11:17 AM.

Owned Tier 10s: Obj 907, IS-7, Obj 140, M60, M48A5 Patton, STB-1, WZ-111 5A, 113, Centurion Action X, Super Conqueror, Badger

mttspiii #19 Posted 15 June 2018 - 12:30 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 29563 battles
  • [CALM] CALM

View PostFramFramson, on 14 June 2018 - 03:40 PM, said:

The biggest problem with the 50 120 is the MASSIVE interclip.

Anyway, looks like the top contenders are the ones I was already looking at: the T-10 and AMX M4 51. They have different enough play styles (Heavium vs Riot Shield) that maybe I'll just get both.

Too bad the 65t is so godawful (and is at the dreaded T8), that I will almost certainly just free XP it...

Dump 2 shots, hide, wait, dump 2 shots again. It really cuts into your effective DPM in a fight, is not needed in either the TVP or the Standard B (or even T54E1 if it manages to pen), but that's the cost of being an OG autoloader. I once switched back to the 100mm because I got annoyed with the 120mm; went back to the 120mm.

As for the 65t, it was a glorious tank in Frontlines, and was truly enjoyable there. Best mix of effective armor, DPM, mobility, alpha, and gun depression at FL because FL is so hilly, and because without tier IX or X guns (or sprem) your armor actually is useful. Missed chance there.

I'm fierce and I'm feeling mighty,

I'm a golden girl, I'm an Aphrodite

mig31foxhound #20 Posted 15 June 2018 - 02:39 PM

Frenchie of RTA2

• Beta-Tester
  • 20508 battles
  • [T-B-F] T-B-F
Here is veteran tip, if you wanna stop at tier 9, anything else is fine but don't touch the Type 4. Not because it's kind of "i'm noob i have no skill" but it's super weak and it need tons of brain and gut (and good teammates and maybe dumb enemies) to play.

Don't mind me, I'm just a green tomato.

I'm just a Derp Apprentice of The Derp Side.

Come to the Derp Side...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users