Bonds - What's Next? Ideas and thoughts

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

stewiejp #1 Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:39 AM

#GetOnBoard

• Community Contributor
  • 39825 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

The introduction of Bonds to the game some time ago was met with excitement, disappointment, confusion and joy - Depending on who you were I guess, and how much you understood the new currency to World of Tanks. At the time it was directives or enhanced equipment - nothing else was available, and I guess a number of players utilized bonds for directives occasionally, I doubt many people bought enhanced equipment given how long it can take to get the 3 - 5k Bonds in the first place for the average player.

Clan Wars Reward Tanks - should you qualify - at 4,000 Bonds seems better value for money compared to a piece of equipment - especially for someone with a lot of Tier 10's or other favourite tanks they play - putting enhanced equipment on all of their favourite tanks could be a challenge.

This Clan Wars Campaign also saw the introduction of bidding for Reward tanks - starting at 4,500 - I for one will be interested in seeing what they go for.

What next for bonds? Given there are now more opportunities to get them - Front-lines saw a lot of bonds awarded, Football mode looks like even more - and one could assume future events/game modes may award bonds as rewards, as well as clan wars events.

Buying Premium Tanks has been mentioned by players and at least one WG staff member as a possible future way to enable players to utilize their bonds - personally I think this could be a good idea be it at all times for people who don't want to / cannot purchase through the Premium Shop or Tech tree via Gold, or as an "every now and then" promotion, maybe for the rarer tanks out there.

What else? Other than being a substitute for Gold as a currency. 

Here's one idea I had a while back - Enable (with the use of bonds) players to change a regular tech tree tank into a unique Premium Tank to enable the bonus XP and credits as well as utilization of the crew in more than one tank. Previously if you had a favourite tank at any tier but Tier 10 if you wanted to keep the tank you would either need to put a new crew into the thing, or start a new crew at the next vehicle in the Tech Tree. This would enable players to keep an old favourite whilst still utilizing the crew at the higher tiers (if that makes sense). Price would depend on the Tier.

Any other ideas? 

Also - sale of Bonds. I have seen players say WG has said they will/may sell Bonds in the Premium Shop but cannot find any WG staff member stating this. Would selling Bonds in the shop be a good thing? With the option to bid for CW reward tanks I don't see selling Bonds as a good idea myself by YMMV... 

#GetOnBoard Studios - Where the Magic Happens: www.youtube.com/c/stewiejp     https://www.twitch.tv/stewiejp

FramFramson #2 Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:07 AM

Major

• 35235 battles

The problem with bonds is that only top players get a useful amount of them. I have earned max bonds for all fixed prizes for everything except Ranked battles as well as a fair amount from TX matches and I've still earned less than 8000 since bonds were introduced.

They need to beef up the bond payouts for random match medals and/or lower the prices on enhanced equipment for people to start caring about them at all (the disparity between Dirty Equipment cost versus Clan War rewards tanks is absurd). At it is, most players can't afford any of the listed items, or can only buy one item per year, so increasing the number of unique things you can do with bonds will only lead to further frustration.

I did a comprehensive bond earning and use survey a while back, which you might find interesting: http://forum.worldoftanks.asia/index.php?/topic/80695-bonds-their-acquisition-and-use/

Edited by FramFramson, 15 June 2018 - 10:11 AM.

LT-playing masochist. It's too much fun to be a mosquito.

Ezz #3 Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:16 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 60926 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostFramFramson, on 15 June 2018 - 12:07 PM, said:

The problem with bonds is that only top players get a useful amount of them. I have earned max bonds for all fixed prizes for everything except Ranked battles as well as a fair amount from TX matches and I've still earned less than 8000 since bonds were introduced.

They need to beef up the bond payouts for random match medals and/or lower the prices on enhanced equipment for people to start caring about them at all (the disparity between Dirty Equipment cost versus Clan War rewards tanks is absurd). At it is, most players can't afford any of the listed items, or can only buy one item per year, so increasing the number of unique things you can do with bonds will only lead to further frustration.

I did a comprehensive bond earning and use survey a while back, which you might find interesting: http://forum.worldoftanks.asia/index.php?/topic/80695-bonds-their-acquisition-and-use/

Pretty much this. The current economy pretty much rules them out. And that's on top of the bad press they had at launch. To be honest i just presumed WG basically forgot about them. But who knows, maybe they'll change them somehow to make them interesting.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

Buck3t #4 Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:22 AM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 16048 battles
  • [YETI] YETI

It seems that WG didn't have a road map when they implemented "Bonds" into the game. They recognised a need for a new form of currency as reward for players who play Ranked Battles (Obviously they couldn't reward credits because that would mean less people buying gold/credit packs etc). The Improved Equipment seemed like a bit of an afterthought when you look at the price of them compared to the rate you actually are able to obtain bonds. Directives however, I find super interesting, helpful and should be used as a base for some of the improvements WG could make to the overall "Garage/Tank Progression" system in my opinion.

Before I go into this, my disclaimer is that this isn't a post about "being entitled", anyone that knows me, knows I'm an advocate for going and doing it yourself, earn your rewards and be deserving of what you get, don't expect it to come to you.

When we look back at the "Old Days" there were fairly small differences between your casual player and your hardcore player (in terms of advantages), very few people had more than 4 or 5 crew skills on their tanks, maybe the most casual players didn't use equipment on all their tanks but for the most part, the playing field was even. As of right now, players who have been playing since the early days have a huge advantage over new players for more reasons than skill and experience.

The combination of crew skills that have been grinded over many years with the addition of Improved Equipment, has made a large gap between the casual player and the hardcore player for more reasons than just skill. As it is right now, if I have to grind a new crew for a tank, I almost would prefer to quit the game all together knowing how awful it is to start with 0 or 1 crew skill. I know WG has implemented boosters to try and combat this a small amount but I still feel as though the crew skill system could do with a rework and in turn, allowing "Improved Equipment" to be the new gap spacer between hardcore players and casuals. Not to mention the impact crew skills have on some tanks compared to others (Batchat being a good example with only having 3 crew members and almost requiring most of the skills to be competitive with an opposing batchat). The inclusions of "Directives" has further helped to cure this a small amount - as an example, I use Firefighting on EVERY tank that I don't carry a fire extinguisher on even if I have full Firefighting Crew Skills as the bond cost is 2 per game and can often be the difference of completely ruining your game or having a small health disadvantage.

My suggestion is a simple one, rework the crew skills in a way that doesn't completely destroy the hard work and time put in by players to grind them but also make them easily obtainable by new players (and experiences players who want to grind new crew members). Make Improved Equipment as the main separator of hardcore players and casuals by making bonds accessible through systems only the most committed can get to (i.e. maybe weekly tournaments, strongholds, clan wars, ranked battles, team ranked battles, etc). Please, whatever you do, don't make them purchasable through the premium shop.

As of right now, I'm in the process of deciding whether my clan reward bonds go towards equipment or a reward tank. On one hand, if I get the 121b, I need to grind a fresh set of crew for it which is painful and mind numbing for the most part (especially without a tier 8 premium of the same nation and tank type) or alternatively, get another piece of equipment which I'll be able to mount on ONE of my multiple tier 10 tanks. I'm leaning towards tank at the moment just for the keep sake of it and the fact that Improved Equipment is always available but will have to wait and see.

If I didn't explain myself right, please let me know and I'll try rewording any part that people didn't understand.

Mother_Of_All_Rommel #5 Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:58 AM

Destroyer of WoT

• 20034 battles
I gather up to 2k bonds for now, no way new or casual plyr will have any chances to use them unless 1/2 yrs have passed since its introduction. WG should just forget about that bullcrap and focus on something more important rather than bond use. What bond have to offer now are way more then enough, and probably 90% of plyr wont get any benefit from it now. Dont focus on end game content when the real trouble are early/mid game stuff. 

Edited by Mother_Of_All_Rommel, 15 June 2018 - 12:02 PM.

DON'T LIKE MY TANKING?

DIAL

010-GO[EDIT]YURSELF

TERMS AND CONDITION APPLY. 8HRS A DAY,  5 DAYS PER WEEK. MAY OR MAY NOT REPLY.

atlas1347 #6 Posted 15 June 2018 - 12:41 PM

Corporal

• 14408 battles
  • [HERO] HERO
Pretty sure bonds only gave more grief and misery to the game

_EzioAuditore_ #7 Posted 15 June 2018 - 01:35 PM

Major

• 55708 battles
  • [CROWN] CROWN
They seem to be giving out bonds for the football mode, both through leader board and subsequent tournament - https://worldoftanks.asia/en/content/docs/football-tournament-regulations/ 
https://worldoftanks.asia/en/content/docs/silver-cup-regulations/

Obj 260 Get! 286/300 done with honors!  75/75 obj 260 missions done,62 with honours! :^)

3 mark: 1390 leo pta is-7 e5 t26a 2 mark: m46,obj 907, 50100, e100, batchat 25t,  t57 heavy, grille 15, obj 140, is-6, is-3, vkd, pzivh, mutz, spic, CAX, 113

Helljumper, Helljumper, where you been? Feet first into hell and back again! When I die please bury me deep! Place an MA5 down by my feet! Don't cry for me, don't shed no tear!
Just pack my box with PT gear! Cuz one early morning 'bout zero-five! The ground will rumble, there'll be lightning in the sky!
Don't you worry, don't come undone! It's just my ghost on a PT run!

http://cdn-frm-sg.wa...-1407289026.gif

southerner #8 Posted 15 June 2018 - 01:48 PM

Captain

• 13533 battles
  • [2MEKE] 2MEKE
I find it a struggle to get bonds, but i save every bond i can get, I will eventually have enough to purchase a tank or some purple equipment. I got most of my bonds when them awarded them in the 100's for pub battles a while back.
indignatio regis nuntii mortis et vir sapiens placabit ea 

buntoy561 #9 Posted 15 June 2018 - 03:41 PM

Sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 68447 battles
  • [PVP] PVP
currently have 7 IE (7x5000), spent 4k to get the m60 from operation gambit campaign, 5.6k on hand, and still waiting reward from arms race campaign...
​I guess playing tier 10s are the easiest way for a non CW active player to earn bonds...

Edited by buntoy561, 15 June 2018 - 03:42 PM.

Ezz #10 Posted 15 June 2018 - 03:59 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 60926 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View Postbuntoy561, on 15 June 2018 - 05:41 PM, said:

currently have 7 IE (7x5000), spent 4k to get the m60 from operation gambit campaign, 5.6k on hand, and still waiting reward from arms race campaign...
​I guess playing tier 10s are the easiest way for a non CW active player to earn bonds...

It raises one of the initial concerns with bonds - that IE would be essentially confined to the CW players given how poor the earnings are in pubs. It was initially suggested to just leave IE to CW rather than allow its use in pubs. Pretty sure this would have helped build engagement with them for the masses rather than the current situation where most people couldn't care less as they know they'll never be able to do anything with them.

Edited by Ezz, 15 June 2018 - 04:08 PM.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

Sir_Direkin #11 Posted 15 June 2018 - 04:05 PM

Captain

• 9295 battles
Ultra-premium ammo purchasable only with bonds. We're talking serious unicum rounds here; the ultimate crutch. Ignores armour, and deals full HE levels of damage.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCumyqpRUeOPCy1RcKXl96VA

2nd MoE: AMX 12t, KV-85, M24 Chaffee, T-50, T1 Heavy

stewiejp #12 Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:10 PM

#GetOnBoard

• Community Contributor
  • 39825 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

I think the rate of earning them is low enough NOT to have any players who can afford to put the dirty equipment on a great number of their tanks. Buffing the earn rate would likely cause more grief than good (many will scream "only the good players....." etc as happened when the dirty equipment was introduced). Having a low earn rate helps prevent players having too many tanks with the good equipment on them (I guess). Assuming they won't be sold having a low amount up for grabs is a good thing IMO, though there seems a lot up for grabs in the football mode.

I have never spent a bond on anything, though I am hardly an active CW player (I "ready up" when I am on but shift work often gets in the way) and have just on 7k. I know people with 20-30k - very active people. I have played 2 seasons of Ranked Battles relatively casually (last season 4 nights maybe 5). Personally I think saving them for whatever could be coming next is the smartest move - but if I was in line for a CW Reward tank I'd likely go for it.

Helping train crew was mentioned - I think this could be another option for the future. 

#GetOnBoard Studios - Where the Magic Happens: www.youtube.com/c/stewiejp     https://www.twitch.tv/stewiejp

Cranky1 #13 Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:16 PM

Sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 70530 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-
Maybe if you have enough Bonds you can buy your soul back from WG ? 

Ezz #14 Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:23 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 60926 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostCranky1, on 15 June 2018 - 11:16 PM, said:

Was that in the new EULA?

Bitter_Night #15 Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:26 PM

Corporal

• 6781 battles
  • [YETI] YETI

I think if they made the cost of demounting the equipment way less, more players would be happy to have it in the game. It kinda feels like once it's on a tank, it's staying there.

Ezz #16 Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:00 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 60926 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostBitter_Night, on 15 June 2018 - 11:26 PM, said:

I think if they made the cost of demounting the equipment way less, more players would be happy to have it in the game. It kinda feels like once it's on a tank, it's staying there.

Very good point. At 200 a demount - ie a shedload of pub battles - you really need to be sure about what you want and where you want it.

Mother_Of_All_Rommel #17 Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:17 PM

Destroyer of WoT

• 20034 battles

View PostEzz, on 15 June 2018 - 03:59 PM, said:

It raises one of the initial concerns with bonds - that IE would be essentially confined to the CW players given how poor the earnings are in pubs. It was initially suggested to just leave IE to CW rather than allow its use in pubs. Pretty sure this would have helped build engagement with them for the masses rather than the current situation where most people couldn't care less as they know they'll never be able to do anything with them.

This is a pretty good. Less impact bond have on pub, the better.

DON'T LIKE MY TANKING?

DIAL

010-GO[EDIT]YURSELF

TERMS AND CONDITION APPLY. 8HRS A DAY,  5 DAYS PER WEEK. MAY OR MAY NOT REPLY.

stewiejp #18 Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:44 PM

#GetOnBoard

• Community Contributor
  • 39825 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

View PostCranky1, on 15 June 2018 - 11:16 PM, said:

Lost that years ago but that is another story!

_EzioAuditore_ #19 Posted 16 June 2018 - 03:15 AM

Major

• 55708 battles
  • [CROWN] CROWN

View PostBitter_Night, on 15 June 2018 - 09:26 PM, said:

imo they should make it either demountable for gold, or 10-20 bonds(which is like 1 or 2 games)

Obj 260 Get! 286/300 done with honors!  75/75 obj 260 missions done,62 with honours! :^)

3 mark: 1390 leo pta is-7 e5 t26a 2 mark: m46,obj 907, 50100, e100, batchat 25t,  t57 heavy, grille 15, obj 140, is-6, is-3, vkd, pzivh, mutz, spic, CAX, 113

Helljumper, Helljumper, where you been? Feet first into hell and back again! When I die please bury me deep! Place an MA5 down by my feet! Don't cry for me, don't shed no tear!
Just pack my box with PT gear! Cuz one early morning 'bout zero-five! The ground will rumble, there'll be lightning in the sky!
Don't you worry, don't come undone! It's just my ghost on a PT run!

http://cdn-frm-sg.wa...-1407289026.gif

FramFramson #20 Posted 16 June 2018 - 03:20 AM

Major

• 35235 battles

View Poststewiejp, on 15 June 2018 - 07:10 AM, said:

I think the rate of earning them is low enough NOT to have any players who can afford to put the dirty equipment on a great number of their tanks. Buffing the earn rate would likely cause more grief than good (many will scream "only the good players....." etc as happened when the dirty equipment was introduced). Having a low earn rate helps prevent players having too many tanks with the good equipment on them (I guess). Assuming they won't be sold having a low amount up for grabs is a good thing IMO, though there seems a lot up for grabs in the football mode.

I have never spent a bond on anything, though I am hardly an active CW player (I "ready up" when I am on but shift work often gets in the way) and have just on 7k. I know people with 20-30k - very active people. I have played 2 seasons of Ranked Battles relatively casually (last season 4 nights maybe 5). Personally I think saving them for whatever could be coming next is the smartest move - but if I was in line for a CW Reward tank I'd likely go for it.

Helping train crew was mentioned - I think this could be another option for the future. 

Disagree. I feel like the right balance is that a pub player should have enough to put 2-3 equipment on their "favourite" tank (or put one equipment each on some of their key tanks), but that dedicated Clam Wars players would be able to fully equip 3+ tanks.

Reason being, the difference between 0 and 1 is infinitely greater than the difference between 1 and 2. If a pub player can't get enough bonds to do ANYTHING useful with them, but top players can buy the equipment and Clam Wars tanks, then the pubbie feels completely shut out. But if they have enough to buy a LITTLE BIT of the good stuff then at least they can have their one favourite tank all tricked out, and sure, top players and tryhards will get more, but at least everyone is participating. 

LT-playing masochist. It's too much fun to be a mosquito.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users