The Comet

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Yekaterina #21 Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:22 PM

Major

• Community Contributor
  • 5998 battles
Go see comix  play a Comet and say that again with a straight face.

-Yekaterina

If winning and losing are both irrelevant, then win!

Моё судно на воздушной подушке полно угрей

ouchthathurts #22 Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:38 PM

Major

• 18784 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostYekaterina, on 01 May 2013 - 02:22 PM, said:

Go see comix  play a Comet and say that again with a straight face.

Ok, let me amend that to, I can't go rampaging in a Comet the way I can in a Cromwell.

I expect that applies to most of us non-unicums. Looking at his stats (78% 60-day WR), I expect that comix could go rampaging in an AMX 40.

All tier I through VI tanks played and elited.

notsonooby #23 Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:16 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 7777 battles
  • [EQRG] EQRG
Well, after plating the cromwell (and keeping it), i find the comet to be a *le sigh tank. Just cant figure out to make it work aside from sniping. Not very agile either..... Pen is somewhat bad for sniping

The guy who started the Ace Combat Skin Thread. Visit It!

Yeah, I'm an Ace Combat nut. And Ace.

Note: That's a EA-18G Growler, not a F/A-18E Super Hornet

"Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..."

notsonooby #24 Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:17 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 7777 battles
  • [EQRG] EQRG
Its even weighed like a heavy in mm! Makes it worse

"Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..."

Thorium220 #25 Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:22 PM

Sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 7757 battles
  • [SMP] SMP

View Postnotsonooby, on 02 May 2013 - 04:17 PM, said:

Its even weighed like a heavy in mm! Makes it worse

uh, no. Heavy MM means there's a higher chance of being top tier, and lower chance of being bottom tier (this happens to the VK30.02D too). It does however come with a caveat: your team will (probably) have one less heavy of your tier than the other team.

ouchthathurts #26 Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

Major

• 18784 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostPrincessWoona, on 02 May 2013 - 09:22 PM, said:

uh, no. Heavy MM means there's a higher chance of being top tier, and lower chance of being bottom tier....

That's interesting; do you have a source for this? My understanding (from a source I can't find again off-hand) was simply that MM weighting assigned points to tanks based on tier, and just made sure that the points were pretty much equal across teams. Heavies got 20% more points at a given tier than other tanks, and there may have been other modifications. So this wouldn't change your chances of being top-tier or not, but simply mean that, being ranked at e.g. 120 points rather than 100 because of heavy matchmaking, the other side would also get tanks rated at a bit more points overall.

Melcyna #27 Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 13413 battles
Comet may not be able to turn as fast as most other T7 meds, but it compensates this with it's powerful engine/weight ratio (this despite it being heavier than Cromwell and with the same engine, Cromwell has a pretty crazy engine/weight ratio to begin with) giving it better acceleration and climbing capability than all of them ie: it still pretty much gets to places faster than all other T7 meds except on a non stop downhill.

to give an idea: Comet even with it's heavier weight than Cromwell still has near 20Hp/ton engine/weight power ratio, more than pretty much all other T7 meds

The penetration on Comet isn't stellar that's true, which it makes up with 2 things:
1. excellent accuracy
2. vertical stabilizer (being 1 of the only 2 medium tank at T7 that can mount one)

Thorium220 #28 Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:59 AM

Sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 7757 battles
  • [SMP] SMP

View Postouchthathurts, on 03 May 2013 - 09:29 AM, said:

That's interesting; do you have a source for this? My understanding (from a source I can't find again off-hand) was simply that MM weighting assigned points to tanks based on tier, and just made sure that the points were pretty much equal across teams. Heavies got 20% more points at a given tier than other tanks, and there may have been other modifications. So this wouldn't change your chances of being top-tier or not, but simply mean that, being ranked at e.g. 120 points rather than 100 because of heavy matchmaking, the other side would also get tanks rated at a bit more points overall.

What you have said is true, and I can find no evidence of what I've said. Sorry for false/speculative information.

Does anyone know why the Comet gets the MM it does?

Melcyna #29 Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 13413 battles
Most likely because of it's capability

For reference, in the T7 med field comet has:

1. One of the highest if not THE highest engine power/weight ratio
2. Very accurate gun, though not quite as good as panther's L/100, but second only to that.
3. Access to vertical stabilizer (1 of only 2 T7 meds that can do so)
4. high DPM
5. good agility
6. low profile

and about the only thing it lacks is exceptional penetration, with it having mediocre penetration for a T7 med...
but otherwise comet will easily outperform it's brethren with the stacks of good attributes it has.

WG most likely simply ran out of options on how to balance the tank, without suppressing some of it's stats, and resorted to increasing it's weight as a crude band aid at least for now.

tk208 #30 Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

Sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 20764 battles
Yea its a nice tank I did a lot better in the crommie tho.

OvidiusNaso #31 Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:30 PM

First lieutenant

• 9412 battles
  • [STGGA] STGGA
So, how exactly do Comet tank commanders drive this tank? More cautious than the Cromwell because of lesser speed, or more boldly because of increased armor? I'm still some weeks away from this tank, but I want to know the anecdotes of Comet tankers.

"No Matter How I Look At It, It's Wargaming's Fault That The FV4202's Not Popular!"

Melcyna #32 Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 13413 battles
The armor has no real value on comet, it's still thin enough that if someone hits you, you can expect penetration more often than not...
the turret is semi decent though, some shots can bounce with enough luck and angle... but don't count on it.

At the end, i'd say both... the lesser speed does mean you need to think a bit further ahead on how much risk to take and how deep u can penetrate the line since u can't egress as fast as Cromwell, but on the flip side the vertical stabilizer gives Comet a much faster transition from moving, to stationary accurate firing mode making it an excellent mobile gun platform.

For the most part i used comet still formidable speed and engine power to move the tank into good firing position, preferably a flanking hull down position somewhere with view of the field. Then from there take a shot at anything that enters the field, reverse quickly if someone tries to zero in, then pop the turret back out and snap another shot... etc until things become too dangerous to linger in the area and egress. The gun accuracy and aim time along with vertical stabilizer also makes the tank capable of drive by shooting at short-medium range with good results if necessary.

OvidiusNaso #33 Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

First lieutenant

• 9412 battles
  • [STGGA] STGGA
I have another question regarding the comet, what is its research path when I buy it stock?

Should it be: (A34A Suspension -> Comet Mk. 1 Turret -> OQF 77 mm Gun Mk. II -> WS No. 22 Radio) Do I have it right? Or can I get the 2nd Turret + 2nd Gun first, then the suspension, then the radio?

"No Matter How I Look At It, It's Wargaming's Fault That The FV4202's Not Popular!"

notsonooby #34 Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:52 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 7777 battles
  • [EQRG] EQRG
better go with suspension first

ouchthathurts #35 Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:31 AM

Major

• 18784 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostOvidiusNaso, on 05 May 2013 - 07:30 PM, said:

I have another question regarding the comet, what is its research path when I buy it stock?
Should it be: (A34A Suspension -> Comet Mk. 1 Turret -> OQF 77 mm Gun Mk. II -> WS No. 22 Radio) Do I have it right? Or can I get the 2nd Turret + 2nd Gun first, then the suspension, then the radio?

You just need to look at the weights to figure it out. The stock Comet weighs 30.52 tonnes, and the stock suspension has a capacity of 32 tonnes. The first turret weighs 5 tonnes, and the second 7, for a difference of two tonnes. Adding two tonnes to the stock weight would bring it to 32.52 tonnes, more than the capacity of the standard suspension, so you need to upgrade the suspension (or add an Enhanced Christie Suspension module) in order to mount the second turret.

mig31foxhound #36 Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:30 AM

Frenchie of RTA2

• Beta-Tester
  • 16318 battles
  • [GOT] GOT
This looks-like-suck-tank can be monster if played properly. It's likes mini T29 minus long 105 instead, you got a 77mm machine gun that create huge damage output compared to its contemporaries. Hull down and sneak attack is the way to go. With thick turret armor (armor plate + gun mantlet) allow you to facehug some tank that lack of gun depression and/or penetration. And with turret position, you can do side scrapper.

Newbie: I suck today but I'll be pro someday, so I can finally carry fail team.

Noob: I'm pro but my teammates are baddies, I must have premium so I'll be in losing team less often.

OvidiusNaso #37 Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:32 PM

First lieutenant

• 9412 battles
  • [STGGA] STGGA
I got the Comet recently, and I've played a few games on it. It's not as fast as the Cromwell, but I can live with it; pros say this is the real medium tank speed and I should get used to it. However, why does matchmaking like to put my Comet as the top tank in Team A, and put a heavy tank (like the IS) as its equivalent on Team B? I feel kinda picked on by the MM when this happens.

regentcid #38 Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

Staff sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 12212 battles
  • [SDRHB] SDRHB

View PostOvidiusNaso, on 15 May 2013 - 09:32 PM, said:

I got the Comet recently, and I've played a few games on it. It's not as fast as the Cromwell, but I can live with it; pros say this is the real medium tank speed and I should get used to it. However, why does matchmaking like to put my Comet as the top tank in Team A, and put a heavy tank (like the IS) as its equivalent on Team B? I feel kinda picked on by the MM when this happens.

Your Comet are Top tank of this Tier 7 because the Comet is start with ''C'' .  If your Team got French Heavy AMX 1945 .. then His tank will be top of list because it start with ''A''

Edited by regentcid, 16 May 2013 - 09:49 AM.

German: Tiger l , Panther ll , Tiger ll , E-100
British: Matilda Black Prince , Cromwell , Centurion MK7/1 , FV4202 , FV215B 183
USSR: KV-1S , T-34-85 , Tetrarch
Japan: Chi-Nu Kai , Chi-Ri , Type 61 , STB-1
US: M60

AoTenjou #39 Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

The First of His Name

• 4558 battles

View Postregentcid, on 16 May 2013 - 09:49 AM, said:

Your Comet are Top tank of this Tier 7 because the Comet is start with ''C'' .  If your Team got French Heavy AMX 1945 .. then His tank will be top of list because it start with ''A''
Or maybe because it's weighted as a tier 7 heavy.
Melcyna will surely respond to this.

AoTenjou, on , said:

The forum loads, and my poasting begins; It shall not end until my permaban. I shall make no friends, do no meaningful work; Nor form any long-term relationships. I shall wake and sleep by my screen. I am the writer of sarcastic replies. I am the lurker in your threads. I am the defender of stats and their importance. I pledge my social life and economic welfare to the Forum Warriors; For this poast and all the poasts to come.[/quote]

Certified Trusted MemberTM of the "Majority"TM

Melcyna #40 Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:17 AM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 13413 battles
To the best of my knowledge, the weight does not affect it at all as far as the list order is concerned

It's ordered based in descending order of:
1. Tier (note that this is based on the effective tier the tank is considered, ie: some light tanks like the end of the line scouts at T5 are considered T6 iirc, etc in the past)
2. Type or Class (heavies go first, then the rest follows... the order of which i am not entirely sure)
3. Name (if everything else above is equal then it's sorted by name)

(the above was based on what Mick42 stated)

note: do not under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES assume you are equal to the direct opposite of your tank on the enemy list...

the list does not care of your direct counterpart within that same list, nor did it arrange it with such assumption unless there's an information to the contrary since the last time.

The part where Comet MM weight influences things however is when the matchmaker is trying to determine how to mix and arrange for the T7 tanks put into the match...

With it's MM weight it's entirely probable that a mix of T7 tanks with Comet within the lineup meet the other T7 tanks with more heavies.

Edited by Melcyna, 19 May 2013 - 03:59 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users