Wz-111-5A Guide and Review!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Defiant_Duck #1 Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:59 AM

Corporal

• 26942 battles
  • [LIFE] LIFE

Hi guys, I think it is time I did a guide/review of one of my most favourite tier 10 tanks; the Chinese Wz-111-5A heavy tank. This guide/review will go over the usual stuff; its strength, its weaknesses, and my overall opinion of the tank. Feel free to ask me any questions regarding the tank, your opinion/personally experiences of the tank, whether you found this review/guide useful, etc down below. :)

Advantages:

- Highly mobile, capable of keeping up with mediums
- Well angled frontal hull, troll spaced side armour, and a very tough turret
- Amazing gun with a good combination of gun handling and high alpha damage
- Good elevation and depression angles (-7
° and +23°)

Disadvantages:

- Weak cupolas and turret roof

- Pre-angled hull makes it difficult to sidescraper effectively

- Poor accuracy 0.37 makes sniping difficult at long range

Equipment Loadout:

- Vertical Stabilizer: Reduces the gun’s reticle bloom when the vehicle moves

- Large Caliber Gun Rammer: Lowers the reload and increases the DPM

- Improved Ventilation: Increase the overall stats of the vehicle by a small percentage

Characteristics:

Armour: The armour of the 5A is acceptable and is well suited for its role on the battlefield. The turret is very tough with armour values ranging from 260mm to 400mm+. However, it does have two weak cupolas that can be penned in close quarters combat. The hull is most effective when left untangled and pointed straight towards the enemy tank due to its sloped pike nose design. The lower plate is weak and easily penetrated usually resulting in a damaged ammo rack or a dead driver. The side of the tank has a strip of 30mm thick spaced armour which helps with absorbing shells especially HEAT rounds. The tank has 2200 hit points which is enough to take a few hits from other heavies, but try to preserve them for the late game. Armour Model

Mobility: The Wz-111-5A has above average mobility giving it the edge over other heavies. It has a power-to-weight ratio of 15 and a top speed of 50 km/h allowing to relocate/change flanks with ease. The 5A can easily circle slower tanks like an E-100 or Maus with ease if presented the opportunity. The track traverse is a decent 37.54 degrees a second which helps it from being outflanked by faster tanks. The ground resistances are nothing special, not bad nor great.

Firepower: The Wz-111-5A sports a highly competitive, hard hitting 130mm gun. The gun’s high alpha damage of 490 combined with its good gun handling characteristics makes it a formidable machine. Its low aim time of 2.4 seconds (with a 100% crew) allows it to aim in shots quicker and fire them off with more precision than its brother the 113. On the contrary, the gun has disappointing accuracy of 0.37 preventing it from sniping effectively at long range. The high alpha damage means that it can outtrade all mediums and other heavies when brawling. Despite its high alpha damage, the tank still has a respectable DPM of 2700 thanks to its amazing 5.59 rounds a minute rate of fire. The gun fires AP as its standard ammo, HEAT as its premium, and also HE. The AP rounds have 250mm of pen which is not a disaster but certainly not great. With the said, the AP rounds have enough penetration to reliably go through moderately armoured tanks and the weak spots of heavily armoured tanks. For example, the lower plate of an E-100. The HEAT rounds have 340mm of penetration and is capable of penetrating most heavy tanks frontally with ease. The AP and HEAT rounds have the same shell velocity of 930m/s which is somewhat slow so a bit of lead is required when sniping at long range. The HE rounds on the tank have 65mm of penetration but can do an average of 640 damage if it penetrates. The large 130mm calibre HE rounds are great for finishing low health targets and for completely wrecking lightly armour vehicles like the FV4005. So it would be useful to bring one or two HE rounds for those kinds of situations. The gun can depress 7° around the entire front of the vehicle and most of the side making it very flexible on ridgelines. It can also elevate its gun 23° upwards for shooting up at tanks cresting over a ridge/hill.

Tactics:

The Wz-111-5A should be played like a well armoured medium. Use its good mobility to take aggressive positions at the start of the game and advance/retreat once the position is no longer usable. Do not ever sit in a position where you cannot do anything useful, flex to another flank. Otherwise you’re just wasting/not utilizing the vehicle’s good mobility which is one of its key advantages over other heavies. Wolf packing with mediums is a viable tactic that works very effectively (depending on the map and flank of course).

The tank should employ hull down tactics (Hide the hull and only expose the turret) to improve its chance of survival as its hull armour good enough to reliably bounce tanks of the same tier. The -7° gun depression allows the tank to utilize shallow ridgelines to go hull down. Something to note is that the 5A is very low profile; so in actual fact the tank feels like it has -8° of gun. The low profile and strong turret means that it can side hug tall tanks like that Maus or Type 5 and they will struggle to shoot you back. Face hugging is another viable tactic that can be used but be aware that your cupolas and turret roof are completely exposed and can be easily hit. In a face hugging situation, raise your gun and try to align with the enemy gun to increase the chance of them hitting your gun and absorbing the shot. In close to mid ranged engagements try to wiggle the tank from side to side between reloads to increase the chance of bouncing shots. The turret is situated at the front of the hull (as opposed to the center) meaning it exposes much less of its hull when poking around corners compared to other tanks. In a brawl, avoid side scraping as it is not very effective nor time efficient. Just poke around the corner and snap in a shot; by doing this you have a higher chance of the enemy missing/ bouncing the return shot because you are exposing the most minimal amount of your tank to them. As with any other tank, preserve your hit points at the start of the game so that you can use them late game to deal out more damage. Reverse side scraping is another way to use the armour. But personally I don’t find it very effective because it only works on flat ground (due to the bad gun depression over the rear), it doesn’t work if the enemy has multiple angles of fire on you, and it is very time consuming to get into the position. The side armour functions similar to that of a Russian heavy; it is a black hole that soaks up damage and gets the enemy player triggered.

Additional Notes: Just some side notes that I may not have mentioned above in the review/guide but you might need to be aware of. Despite how well armoured the turret is, it can still get penned by HEAT rounds through the gun mantlet and even by lucky AP rounds at the bottom of the cheeks. This rarely happens but I’m just trying to emphasis trying to rock backwards and forwards when on the reload to avoid stuff like this from happening. The turret traverse is slower than the track traverse which feels awkward but it shouldn’t have much impact on the overall performance of the tank.

My Overall Opinion:

The Wz-111-5A is definitely a tank worth grinding for because it has perfect balance between armour, firepower, and mobility. It is a beast of a tank when played correctly but it is also very player friendly for those who are still new to playing tier 10s. Personally this is one of my most favourite tanks in the game and I will still continue to play it in the future whether it be in clan wars or in pub matches. The 5A is a refreshingly fun tank to play especially since I researched and played the 113 first. The 113 is so stiff and inflexible compared to the 5A. The 5A doesn’t have the awkward gun depression angles like the 113 has where the gun can only depress -5° over the front. I won’t even mention the tragically long aim time and center mounted turret of the 113, I’ll save that rant for another time. But long story short, I would choose to play the Wz-111-5A over the 113, 9 out of 11 times. And needless to say, China Number One! ;)

Edited by Defiant_Duck, 18 June 2018 - 02:15 PM.

"Step 1 - Git, Step 2 - Gud"

"You're never getting into any goooodd clan" - LittleKiddy

Proloser_The_Atomistic #2 Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:56 PM

Pls buff Arty!11

• 25635 battles
Nice one duck. Agreed, definitely the best tier 10 HT for pure fun. 

CelestiaLudenberg #3 Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:07 PM

First lieutenant

• 16074 battles
  • [LIFE] LIFE
Here's hoping we can occupy the top 10 for this month even more than last month, so far our record is 5 out of the top 10.

3 M.O.E Tanks: E-100, Panzer VII, Leopard 1,  E-75, Leopard PT A, Type 61, Tiger II, VK 45.02A, Indien Panzer, STA-1, Tiger P, Jagdpanther, StuG III G.

Mother_Of_All_Rommel #4 Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:24 PM

Destroyer of WoT

• 20145 battles
1) rrr
2) press 2
3) profit?

:P

Anyone know how to put meme on sig, plss PM me, tq.

Defiant_Duck #5 Posted 19 June 2018 - 04:17 AM

Corporal

• 26942 battles
  • [LIFE] LIFE
Does anyone want to hear my 113 vs Wz-111-5A rant? 

spacewolf #6 Posted 19 June 2018 - 04:24 AM

Space Yolo Best Yolo

• Beta-Tester
  • 67886 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostDefiant_Duck, on 19 June 2018 - 06:17 AM, said:

Does anyone want to hear my 113 vs Wz-111-5A rant? 

Sure.

CelestiaLudenberg #7 Posted 19 June 2018 - 08:49 AM

First lieutenant

• 16074 battles
  • [LIFE] LIFE

Am I weird for liking my 113 more than my 5A?

That said the 113 needs better gun handling and the side armor should actually be the 120mm stated rather than having the minuscule 120mm strip with the rest being 90mm.

3 M.O.E Tanks: E-100, Panzer VII, Leopard 1,  E-75, Leopard PT A, Type 61, Tiger II, VK 45.02A, Indien Panzer, STA-1, Tiger P, Jagdpanther, StuG III G.

Ezz #8 Posted 19 June 2018 - 08:53 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 61413 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
So the 277 has been out for at least 8 minutes on our server... guide / comparo plox.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

Defiant_Duck #9 Posted 19 June 2018 - 08:59 AM

Corporal

• 26942 battles
  • [LIFE] LIFE

View PostEzz, on 19 June 2018 - 12:53 PM, said:

So the 277 has been out for at least 8 minutes on our server... guide / comparo plox.

WZ-111-5A > Obj 277
because China Number One

Defiant_Duck #10 Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:29 AM

Corporal

• 26942 battles
  • [LIFE] LIFE
I'll do a proper comparison between the Obj 277 once I've played a few matches in it. But looking at it from a statistically point of view the 5A still looks better. 

Defiant_Duck #11 Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:30 AM

Corporal

• 26942 battles
  • [LIFE] LIFE
I've posted a rant between the 113 and Wz-111-5A if anyone is interested in read: Link to the forum post

Ezz #12 Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:35 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 61413 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostDefiant_Duck, on 19 June 2018 - 11:29 AM, said:

I'll do a proper comparison between the Obj 277 once I've played a few matches in it. But looking at it from a statistically point of view the 5A still looks better. 

Key differences appear to be slightly better pen, slightly better turret, slightly better acceleration / mobility, and an interesting one will be the 'pikeless' UFP - more like a 907. It will be interesting to see whether that allows for better poking or not. Tho the DPM and gun depression could be the real issue.

Edited by Ezz, 19 June 2018 - 09:35 AM.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

Defiant_Duck #13 Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:16 AM

Corporal

• 26942 battles
  • [LIFE] LIFE

View PostEzz, on 19 June 2018 - 01:35 PM, said:

Key differences appear to be slightly better pen, slightly better turret, slightly better acceleration / mobility, and an interesting one will be the 'pikeless' UFP - more like a 907. It will be interesting to see whether that allows for better poking or not. Tho the DPM and gun depression could be the real issue.

I recently got the Obj 277 and I've only played a few battles in it so far. After I reach 20+ battles I'll give a brief comparison between the 277 and 5A. 

MagicalFlyingFox #14 Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:45 PM

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW

• Beta-Tester
  • 28259 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Looking forward to it.

http://www.theuselessweb.com/

A. Guy on 02 June 2018 - 12:40 AM, said:

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW... says it all about you.

Defiant_Duck #15 Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:54 AM

Corporal

• 26942 battles
  • [LIFE] LIFE

The Object 277 vs the Wz-111-5A. Here we go!

FIrepower:
The 5A is the winner of this category. The 277 is noticeably more accurate, it doesn't donk as many of its shots. The 277 has better moving dispersion but the 5A has a slightly better aim time. The biggest difference between the two tanks would be their DPM. The 5A has a 1 second faster reload giving it over 300+ DPM than the 277. The 5A also has much better gun depression (-7 degrees) than the 277 (5.5 degrees) giving it more flexibility when working rigdes.

Armour:

The 277 wins in this category. The 277 has very good armour better designed for bouncing incoming rounds than the 5A. Both turrets are strong but the 5A has two large and annoying cupolas whilst the 277 only has a small flat one. The 277's hull shape is very similar to that on the 907. Its got a well sloped curved front and side armour that is sloped inwards giving it a "v" shaped hull. The advantage of the 277's 907-like hull compared to the 5A's pike nose is that the armour thickness is much more consistent and more troll as well. Regardless of what angle the 277's hull is angled at, some parts of the hull will always be at an auto ricochet angle. I've had HEAT spamming E-100s and T30's drive out and try to put off shots without fully aiming (clearly underestimating the capability the hull armour) and bouncing right off. The 5A's hull on the other hand is alright but is much easier to pen because its more rigid and it losses effectiveness when angled. Both tanks have spaced side armour which help absorb HEAT rounds and reduce damage done by HE, I won't go into detail but they both do their job.

Mobility:
The winner of this category is the 277 hands down. The 5A has considerably good mobility. 50km top speed with decent ground resistances, good traverse speed, and a respectable power to weight ratio of about 15. The 277 just throws all that crap out the window because its just proven to me it runs on magic. I'm going to digress a bit here but I think its going to help emphasis what I'm about say about the 277's mobility. The 277 and the IS-7 both have IDENTICAL ground resistances. However, the IS-7 has a higher top speed and a slightly better power to weight ratio. But for some reason the 277 runs faster in a straight line than an IS-7 (huh how does that work???). The 277 is ludicrously fast for a HT. It has great acceleration and a high top speed of 55km allowing it to out run a lot of mediums and relocate from one side of the map to another with ease. 

Overall Opinion:

Imo both tanks powerful and formidable machines on the battlefield. However the 277 would be the better than in pub matches as it is slightly more adaptable than the 5A and I highly recommend new players to try grind for it as it more noob-friendly and helps teach and get new players into playing the role of a frontline heavy. But the 5A would be the better choice for more experienced players because it offers more of a challenge. When it comes to clan wars, the 277 has not replaced the 5A (5A is still meta yay!). The 277 (from personal experience) is used to take and hold positions during clan wars. For example, 277's were used (by a clan I won't mention) to storm up the hill on malinovka and hold the top. Because they got to the top before the 5As did meant that they had the battle in their favour. On the other hand, a battle I had on Ensk (which is a very flat map). The 5A's easily out brawled the 277s thanks to its better DPM. So both tanks have their strengths and weakness and I guess its up to you guys to decided on which one you think is better. Hope you guys found this useful. :)

Edited by Defiant_Duck, 12 July 2018 - 07:55 AM.

MagicalFlyingFox #16 Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:53 PM

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW

• Beta-Tester
  • 28259 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

I do believe acceleration formula takes into account the total weight of the tank too which is likely why its more mobile than the IS-7. Hurray for WG hidden stats and formulas. 

How does the 277 feel in terms of accuracy compared to the 5A? Does the aim time difference make a difference or is the 277 like the IS-3 where it has a long aim time which literally doesn't matter because the dispersion on the move is minuscule anyway? 

http://www.theuselessweb.com/

A. Guy on 02 June 2018 - 12:40 AM, said:

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW... says it all about you.

Defiant_Duck #17 Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:17 AM

Corporal

• 26942 battles
  • [LIFE] LIFE

View PostMagicalFlyingFox, on 12 July 2018 - 06:53 PM, said:

I do believe acceleration formula takes into account the total weight of the tank too which is likely why its more mobile than the IS-7. Hurray for WG hidden stats and formulas. 

How does the 277 feel in terms of accuracy compared to the 5A? Does the aim time difference make a difference or is the 277 like the IS-3 where it has a long aim time which literally doesn't matter because the dispersion on the move is minuscule anyway? 

The 277 is more accurate than the 5A and its quite noticeable too. It can hit more consistently compared to the 5A when its fully and semi-fully aimed. 

Profanisaurus #18 Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:05 AM

le sigh

• 2012 battles
  • [PBFG] PBFG
So what I'm reading Ducky is I should get both...

Defiant_Duck #19 Posted 14 July 2018 - 05:07 AM

Corporal

• 26942 battles
  • [LIFE] LIFE

View PostProfanisaurus, on 13 July 2018 - 02:05 PM, said:

So what I'm reading Ducky is I should get both...

Yeh why not? :)

CelestiaLudenberg #20 Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:21 AM

First lieutenant

• 16074 battles
  • [LIFE] LIFE
Yeah, it's worthwhile getting all 3 though, the 5A and 277 are obviously the go-to but the 113 is still relevant over them on certain maps, though being in PBKAC, CW obviously doesn't concern you anyway.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users