Skirmish mode needs reviving. Make Skirmish Mode a monthly leaderboard competition?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

BrutalOlyx #1 Posted 23 June 2018 - 09:56 AM

Staff sergeant

• 31852 battles
  • [BAMF] BAMF

As the title says, skirmish mode is pretty much dead,  so I suggest it gets turned into month-by-month leaderboard competition mode, with rewards of bonds, camo - same as all the other clan wars completions.

Details I would suggest is:

Two separate competitions for each server - 6pm-10pm AEST for the AU server, then a separate competition for the SG server that starts an hour or two after that. The separation of the competitions are important or otherwise the Asian based players with their time zone advantage (particularly over Kiwis and West Australians ) will be able to spam more battles and wipe ANZ clans out of the leaderboard

Points awarded are weighted more heavily to damage/kills as opposed to wins. This will then allow the weaker clans to still earn points and get a sense of achievement even if they lose most of their games and this feature is important to incentivize the weak clans to stay in the fight for the whole tournament. I also think this points weighting system leads to more aggressive gameplay rather than camping draws or quick caps for the wins.

All battles are randomly generated. You put your team together, click battle, and are placed in a queue. If you draw a strong strong team of good players then bad luck, just try to get as much damage/kills as you can, because the most poinst come from damage/kills - winning is secondary for clan/personal points

A nightly limitation of the amount of battles a clan can chip. Otherwise big clans can use their numerical advantage to spam battles and wipe out the small clans from the leader board. This mode needs to be used to revive the clan system and I think many more smaller clans competing is far preferable to a small group of large clans dominating

Maybe a personal leader-board, and/or special missions so there is both is a clan incentive and a personal incentive.

Have a decent spread of rewards to incentivize the weaker clans to fight throughout the entire competition - rewards spread into ten different tier. And make them worthwhile- maybe purely bonds and directives for rewards (these cost WG nothing)

Rotate which tier is to be fought each month. It might be tier 6 one month, tier 4 the next, tier5 after that whatever. Just mix it up, Wg will benefit from this because people will start rebuying old tanks back, retraining crews for them, and give some relevance to all the tiers, not just 6, 8, 10.

Have the leader-board accessible within the client  - not require people to log into the website to get the information.

And advertise it well to all the players, so they know about it . The clan system is pretty important to the WG business model, the more guys getting back into clan activities the better for WG.

If tier6 (and maybe tier8) CWs is to be ended, this skirmish mode competition could perhaps be a fair solution to the problem, it gives the weak clans and low tier players a healthy clan wars competition to participate in, and you can leave the Global Map to tier 10, everyone will be happy.

Skirmish mode is dead. The small / weak clans are dying out due to a lack of viable competition. Some players just want the global map to be tier 10 tanks only. This is a possible solution that maybe satisfy all everyone.

Run_Away_Brave_sir_Robin #2 Posted 23 June 2018 - 10:54 AM

Professional Runner Away-er

• 26876 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
A part to your first section. Perhaps to help distinguish the chip limit\front idea. Go off clans timezone frequency (activity during certain timezones) of the last global map season and just this recent even. (alot of clans competed after the AU server would switch, on normal map season, but then dipped into au server time in clan event, because event.)
Or even take into account the prime times clans have *as of right now, or before they may get changed to take advantage*
As a limit to the front they are allowed in.

To reboot skirms i think this could be an idea to get off the ground with ofc disscusion kept on topic, and without starting C\rD or adhominem attacks.
(please you all know who you are)

In saying this, the advances mode we have right now, is a step in this direction too, which helps set a base platform (game limits, tier limit, rewards on the wargames day etc)

2nd Gen Pyromaniac, born of the ANZAS winds.......crazy commando of anzaf of old, and namer of BadIntent..

"He Bravely Ran, where no man would run..."

LOOK! a wild Robin appeared! "YIKES!!~~~RUN AWAY~~~~"

PBKAC, proudly Sponsored by the WGM

MagicalFlyingFox #3 Posted 23 June 2018 - 01:22 PM

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW

• Beta-Tester
  • 30562 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

This is a good idea imho. Maybe we can make/keep advances to tier 10 only with SH ELO-based MM, with larger rewards and skirmishes with smaller rewards with the changing tiers and what-not and no skill-based MM. 

Make this the 'casual' competitive clan mode with rewards more based around the clan stronghold, so basically boxes. 

Edited by MagicalFlyingFox, 23 June 2018 - 01:23 PM.

http://www.theuselessweb.com/

A. Guy on 02 June 2018 - 12:40 AM, said:

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW... says it all about you.

Mother_Of_All_Rommel #4 Posted 23 June 2018 - 02:22 PM

Ambassador of silly strat

• 21170 battles
Rewards that benefit plyr more instead of clan would attract more casual towards this. Something like bonds instead of just box. I can see lots of casul involve in this if the rewards was right, no need to be as fancy as cw, but not just useless box.

1940- In 2018, we will have flying cars.

2018- Tonk=lyfe, proven by scientist

JOC469 #5 Posted 23 June 2018 - 07:38 PM

Carried by [KELLY]

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 68207 battles
  • [CZARS] CZARS
Once CW kicks off again they well get more use. When FL and not soccer mode we’re running they just distracts players. Credits are just as easy.

View PostSir_British, on 11 February 2016 - 11:24 PM, said:

joc469, the great purporter of  'name-changer' and 'clan-leaver' all hail the JOC469!

BrutalOlyx #6 Posted 24 June 2018 - 08:40 AM

Staff sergeant

• 31852 battles
  • [BAMF] BAMF

View PostMother_Of_All_Rommel, on 23 June 2018 - 02:22 PM, said:

Rewards that benefit plyr more instead of clan would attract more casual towards this. Something like bonds instead of just box. I can see lots of casul involve in this if the rewards was right, no need to be as fancy as cw, but not just useless box.

I have no idea why WG reward in the things that players play real money for. Bonds cost them nothing, as well as all the things bonds buy.

And I agree that rewards should be weighted towards the player rather than the clan, and personal missions would be a way to do this. As you finish kills/damage/assist personal missions you earn the rewards just like the normal personal missions, except they can only be achieved through skirmish mode.

But the whole point of this would be to re-ignite clan activity so their has to be a clan purpose as well to make it interesting. And perhaps make it so only clan members can participate, no legionaries. 

Anyway they need to do something for the smaller/weaker/casual clans, they cancelled tier6 CWs a long time ago. Also, a lot of people dont have time to sit around all night waiting for battles to pop, and a lot of clans dont have the people with enough energy to organise it all.

With skirmish mode, you dont have to sit around all night waiting, organise players, callers dont have to stress about calling strats, you just join the queue, click battle, have some clan fun against rival clan, simple easy and it will be a plus for players and WG

Flying_Elite #7 Posted 24 June 2018 - 03:54 PM

Always blame Hema!

• Forum Moderator
  • 27721 battles
  • [CHE] CHE

View PostBrutalOlyx, on 24 June 2018 - 10:40 AM, said:

Anyway they need to do something for the smaller/weaker/casual clans, they cancelled tier6 CWs a long time ago. Also, a lot of people dont have time to sit around all night waiting for battles to pop, and a lot of clans dont have the people with enough energy to organise it all.

Smaller/weaker clans could merge? Casual clans are casual, so don't really apply to the competitive scene.
Tier 6 is gone and good riddance, it was used for reasons that don't grow CW. Again, clans can merge to gain the playerbase needed to go from 'smaller' to active clan size, there's a reason why there is 100 spots in a clan, because as you've said, not everyone will be online or have the time, merging means you could potentially have double the amount of people online with each clan you merge with.

Now all of that above doesn't mean that WG can't do their part in fixing clan inactivity, I like the idea of more personal rewards instead of clan rewards, though I believe it should be down to who in your skirmish/advance does well, such as if you get top damage on your team, you get a credit bonus. I can see it being abused but if WG saw how popular FL was for credits I'm sure they'd be fine with letting people farm credits in other modes, getting it more active at the same time.

Spoiler

Mother_Of_All_Rommel #8 Posted 24 June 2018 - 04:54 PM

• 21170 battles

View PostBrutalOlyx, on 24 June 2018 - 08:40 AM, said:

I have..

Bonds will be good rewards, lots of casul dont even have collected 3k bonds total. Making a system/battle that flexi enough for casual to join while increasing clan activity would be good for WG and plyrbase. As for T6, cant say much, it dont have much use anyway. Lets just hope WG dont destroy kiddie pool for sake of end game content. Thats stupid since both need to be build and protect at the same time.

BrutalOlyx #9 Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:51 PM

Staff sergeant

• 31852 battles
  • [BAMF] BAMF

View PostFlying_Elite, on 24 June 2018 - 03:54 PM, said:

Smaller/weaker clans could merge? Casual clans are casual, so don't really apply to the competitive scene.
Tier 6 is gone and good riddance, it was used for reasons that don't grow CW. 

Ending tier6 clanwars killed the clan system, what are you talking about?

This is about a game where people get together in little social clans and like to play clan activities. Why should they merge with other clans? Most here on this server could not give a damn about the competitive scene. 

You are like an old man that has forgotten what it is like to be young.  You had your fun, and damned if the youn-uns coming through enjoy the same you enjoyed.

This trend of merging, players leaving weaker clans for stronger clans, is the same principle of Monopoly. Every round less and less players and then the game is over

Edited by BrutalOlyx, 24 June 2018 - 09:52 PM.

BrutalOlyx #10 Posted 24 June 2018 - 10:02 PM

Staff sergeant

• 31852 battles
  • [BAMF] BAMF

View PostMother_Of_All_Rommel, on 24 June 2018 - 04:54 PM, said:

Lets just hope WG dont destroy kiddie pool for sake of end game content. Thats stupid since both need to be build and protect at the same time.

Well they have. They killed the social clans by ending tier 6 clan wars and never replaced it with another option. They just doubled down and tripled down on the same failing formula and left all those hundreds of social clans to wither on the vine.

I agree what you say, and would go further to say that end game content is less important than bringing in new players, and making the new player experience fun.  Kill off the grassroots, the whole ecosystem degrades then dies

Flying_Elite #11 Posted 25 June 2018 - 06:18 AM

Always blame Hema!

• Forum Moderator
  • 27721 battles
  • [CHE] CHE

View PostBrutalOlyx, on 24 June 2018 - 11:51 PM, said:

Ending tier6 clanwars killed the clan system, what are you talking about?

This is about a game where people get together in little social clans and like to play clan activities. Why should they merge with other clans? Most here on this server could not give a damn about the competitive scene. 

You are like an old man that has forgotten what it is like to be young.  You had your fun, and damned if the youn-uns coming through enjoy the same you enjoyed.

This trend of merging, players leaving weaker clans for stronger clans, is the same principle of Monopoly. Every round less and less players and then the game is over

If they aren't interested in the competitive scene why is tier 6 skirmishes so dead then? no competition in those, you can play for as long as you'd like and whenever you'd like in prime time...

No I'm a player who believes that you should put time into playing the game in order to play CW, it's up to the devs to fix the map, which in turn will give the social/smaller clans an opportunity to get in on the action with everyone else. Getting to tier 10 is pretty easy if you only grind the one tank. 

Spoiler

Ezz #12 Posted 25 June 2018 - 06:57 AM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 64501 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

Boxes could work as that may instill a clan based mentality for the casual clans and hence act as a feeder mechanism for actual competition based formats. This would create a clear pathway delineation. Ie get competitive on the cw map or don't get competitive rewards.

Alternatively of course if the restrictions on large competitive clans were removed this could work as well. Ie no artificial battle limits and winning dominates the rewards. 

Edited by Ezz, 25 June 2018 - 07:00 AM.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

BrutalOlyx #13 Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:12 AM

Staff sergeant

• 31852 battles
  • [BAMF] BAMF

View PostFlying_Elite, on 25 June 2018 - 06:18 AM, said:

If they aren't interested in the competitive scene why is tier 6 skirmishes so dead then? no competition in those, you can play for as long as you'd like and whenever you'd like in prime time...

No I'm a player who believes that you should put time into playing the game in order to play CW, it's up to the devs to fix the map, which in turn will give the social/smaller clans an opportunity to get in on the action with everyone else. Getting to tier 10 is pretty easy if you only grind the one tank. 

Skirmish mode is dead due to a lack of personal and clan goals within the mode.It would be like the current football mode if you took away the leaderboard and the missions, no-one would play it because there would be no competitive point. People would have a few games and stop and it would die like skirmish mode.

No, I,m the player that believes that you should not be punished because life limits your ability to grinding out tier 10 tanks and getting good at them. Which is the vast majority of the player base. Think of all the small casual clans out there right now that have NO option of competitive play. Its a travesty.

The skirmish mode is dead, but it does not have to be. The 'elite' can have their elite competition, and the pubbies can have their own (though I am sure the bigger clans will have  crack if their are rewards up for grabs). A skirmish mode competition as I outlined in the OP would be fun, inclusive for all clans, and healthy for the server. WG would sell more tier6 tanks, get more gold sales for crew re-training, and have more player on the server thus more premium membership.

Everyone wins, no one loses

Ezz #14 Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:18 AM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 64501 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
If people wanted competitive organised play, skirmishes wouldn't be dead. Instead it seems people want to be in small casual clans but get the rewards that would normally require being competitive.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

CaptainNoch_01 #15 Posted 25 June 2018 - 09:49 AM

Sergeant

• 19396 battles
  • [G-I] G-I

The OP needs a simple answer. Either get good or play casual. CW is made for competitive gameplay, not for a bunch of casual players to fool around and that's the reason why 'elite' clans wipe out casual ones, they're simply not up to the competitive rigours of CW. 

The reason SH is dead is not because casual clans have no rewards, they're simply not interested. They'd rather run around in low tier doing crazy things than being bothered to play in an organised manner. If you really want something competitive, join clans that participate. No point making WG change the current system just because casual clans can't succeed in competitive game modes. 

Why Tier 6? I saw it as a boring tier with the never ending spam of Cromwells, T37s and the occasional O-I walls. Tier 8 is enough. 

But the point is, casual clans are casual for a reason and it is expected that they'll either not shine in CW or not participate in clan-based game modes in the first place. Of course, there are exceptions.

Other than that, I guess your idea can't be rejected for it is a great way to make Skirmishes live again. Something to clarify though, how do you separate ANZ players from Asian players? What if players from the other server hops over? You will be surprised that some Asians can be home early to play earlier and they can easily join the ANZ server despite the 200ms ping or so. 

Edited by CaptainNoch_01, 25 June 2018 - 09:56 AM.

signature.png

Why do I still play this game? 

Mother_Of_All_Rommel #16 Posted 25 June 2018 - 10:48 AM

• 21170 battles

View PostBrutalOlyx, on 24 June 2018 - 10:02 PM, said:

Well they have. They killed the social clans by ending tier 6 clan wars and never replaced it with another option. They just doubled down and tripled down on the same failing formula and left all those hundreds of social clans to wither on the vine.

I agree what you say, and would go further to say that end game content is less important than bringing in new players, and making the new player experience fun.  Kill off the grassroots, the whole ecosystem degrades then dies

You should look at random, theres no kiddie pool in random. You dont need to be WG stat keeper to tell WoT have problem in maintaining new plyr. I cant figure why, but even some old veteran are very repulsive about trying to get new blood into the game.

CaptainNoch_01 #17 Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:29 AM

Sergeant

• 19396 battles
  • [G-I] G-I

View PostBrutalOlyx, on 24 June 2018 - 10:02 PM, said:

Well, if it all revolves around Tier 6 CW, the question is, why not play Tier 6 SH then? No offence but if a casual clan can't win stuff during the campaigns, they'd rather win some credits and resources in Skirmishes. 

WG is not leaving casual clans to wither, it is casual clans who refuse to adapt. 

End game is less important than new player experience? Oh please! You expect a new player with a Loltraktor to start venturing into clan-related competitive game modes for experience? I can tell you, he won't stay! I find end-game experience more important because it is a question of how does WG keep its playerbase? No point trying to pursuade new players to try when veterans are leaving en masse because they've unlocked all tanks and 3 marked all tanks.

signature.png

Why do I still play this game? 

MagicalFlyingFox #18 Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:41 PM

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW

• Beta-Tester
  • 30562 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

Tier 6 CW was never the reason why CW has been dying out, the removal of tier 6 CW was because CW was dying out. 

Those seriously banging on about it are just delusional about their successes. 

Like i said earlier, box rewards are good, because SH bonuses are no joke. They are really good and a casual clan would be better off using them to help with prime-time activity. 

Edited by MagicalFlyingFox, 25 June 2018 - 02:43 PM.

http://www.theuselessweb.com/

A. Guy on 02 June 2018 - 12:40 AM, said:

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW... says it all about you.

BrutalOlyx #19 Posted 26 June 2018 - 11:29 AM

Staff sergeant

• 31852 battles
  • [BAMF] BAMF

View PostMagicalFlyingFox, on 25 June 2018 - 02:41 PM, said:

Tier 6 CW was never the reason why CW has been dying out, the removal of tier 6 CW was because CW was dying out. 

You cant re-write history if the threads remain archived Flyinfox

http://forum.worldof...the-global-map/

They tried your way, and it proved a complete failure. Your way failed, other options now need to be tried

BrutalOlyx #20 Posted 26 June 2018 - 11:40 AM

Staff sergeant

• 31852 battles
  • [BAMF] BAMF

View PostCaptainNoch_01, on 25 June 2018 - 11:29 AM, said:

Well, if it all revolves around Tier 6 CW, the question is, why not play Tier 6 SH then? No offence but if a casual clan can't win stuff during the campaigns, they'd rather win some credits and resources in Skirmishes. 

Tier 6 clan competition does not mean other clans can't have high tier competition too. The two can exist at the same time you know..

The small casual clans are more important to the server health, more than most here apparently recognise, and they need some form of a competition for them to remain alive and relevant.

Server numbers are dropping at an alarming rate, I am one of the few that enter this forum to identify problems and offer solutions, The fact is, Skirmish mode is dead, and the casual clan scene is dead. and the above suggestion may be a solution.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users