About my PTA underwhelming performance.

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

STEM_JVM #1 Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:02 PM

Corporal

• 20236 battles
  • [ACTX] ACTX

Hi there, I recently started grinding the Leopard 1 line, and now reached PTA, which is a awesome tank... if maxed out.

However, the stock grind is not the case.
In fact, though the stock gun has decent gun control and good dispersion(especially after that magical turret), it lacks alpha and pen.(sry but I don't spam gold.)

During my stock grind, I encountered this game:
http://wotreplays.eu/site/4432589#prokhorovka-stem_jvm-leopard_prototyp_a
I was forced to be a sniper in the west flank, which I thought was doable, using that little hill to dodge the shell and hull-down and use a little bush to snipe.(and spot a little bit)

However, our mountain side failed and we are forced to snipe, and when they came over the rail, the team collapsed.
I tried to use the remaining bushes to snipe(I followed 15m rule.), so I wasn't able to spot.

But our team got erased so quickly that I can't put in many shots in order to stop them. (i was trying to track that T95.)
At this moment, our Jg.Pz.E100 told me that I was a great noob, I can't even spot.

Since I've been doing what I seemed as right(maxed out camo both skill and paint, mount optics, rammer, stab), I can't quite accept his criticism.
Am I doing it right, or he is actually being frank?

Or my PTA should've worked in another way?

I want to git gud, so any reply(even if it is harsh) would be appreciated.

Ezz #2 Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:34 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 61436 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostSTEM_JVM, on 06 July 2018 - 09:02 PM, said:

PTA, which is a awesome tank... if maxed out.

I'll be honest, i'm not sure your expectations really align with the current meta. The leo pta has a fairly high skill requirement to really perform. It's a bit like the light tanks in that it can be very map dependent on how it performs and can be frustrating when you're on the maps where playing distance and vision isn't possible.

As to the replay...

First thoughts... that camo.... moving on...

Guessing by the speed and gun you basically only have the turret upgraded. Honestly, the tank may not be 'awesome', but in the state you're playing it, it won't be easy.

Next general prok strat - i tend to aim to get the mid ridge and peak a bit but obviously not a lot. Clearly you can't be poking in the same spot or anything, but you need to at least be around there, especially if most of your team is camping at the back of the 1 line. If you play it well it's only really arty that will bother you, and if you're smart with where you are spotted you can at least make it difficult for them. You can then get shots to the hill - noting in this battle your team didn't even bother, but normally a team would.

The next general prok strat is to look at the map and try to make sure your team wins at least part of it. Ie if your team gives up hill, then you need to make sure you win 1 line, otherwise you are screwed.

Beyond the prok basics above, your team basically all went 1 line, without any vision (i think i saw your t92 camped next to you at one point), gave up hill, and so was flanked in mid. From there about the only thing that could have helped would be to be aggressive on 1 line and at least try to win that for your team. You probably wouldn't have done much damage, but with all those TDs behind you the hope would be you'd get a fair amount of spotting.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

Mother_Of_All_Rommel #3 Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:00 PM

Destroyer of WoT

• 20145 battles
I pass pta stock grind mainly by farming tracking assist dmg. Terrible winrate and long grind, barely make it 45%. Gun to small to spam HE, but accuracy are on par with 88/L71. keep trying to track stuff at brawl point so you can get assist score when arty shot.

Anyone know how to put meme on sig, plss PM me, tq.

CelestiaLudenberg #4 Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:58 PM

First lieutenant

• 16104 battles
  • [LIFE] LIFE

It was my first tier 9 (with the Leopard 1 being my first tier 10, and boy what a mistake that was) and as a result my stats in them show it.

Nevertheless, tomorrow I'll play some games in my PT A and throw up a replay or two for you to watch if you want.

3 M.O.E Tanks: E-100, Panzer VII, Leopard 1,  E-75, Leopard PT A, Type 61, Tiger II, VK 45.02A, Indien Panzer, STA-1, Tiger P, Jagdpanther, StuG III G.

STEM_JVM #5 Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:21 PM

Corporal

• 20236 battles
  • [ACTX] ACTX

View PostEzz, on 06 July 2018 - 07:34 PM, said:

I'll be honest, i'm not sure your expectations really align with the current meta. The leo pta has a fairly high skill requirement to really perform. It's a bit like the light tanks in that it can be very map dependent on how it performs and can be frustrating when you're on the maps where playing distance and vision isn't possible.

As to the replay...

First thoughts... that camo.... moving on...

Guessing by the speed and gun you basically only have the turret upgraded. Honestly, the tank may not be 'awesome', but in the state you're playing it, it won't be easy.

Next general prok strat - i tend to aim to get the mid ridge and peak a bit but obviously not a lot. Clearly you can't be poking in the same spot or anything, but you need to at least be around there, especially if most of your team is camping at the back of the 1 line. If you play it well it's only really arty that will bother you, and if you're smart with where you are spotted you can at least make it difficult for them. You can then get shots to the hill - noting in this battle your team didn't even bother, but normally a team would.

The next general prok strat is to look at the map and try to make sure your team wins at least part of it. Ie if your team gives up hill, then you need to make sure you win 1 line, otherwise you are screwed.

Beyond the prok basics above, your team basically all went 1 line, without any vision (i think i saw your t92 camped next to you at one point), gave up hill, and so was flanked in mid. From there about the only thing that could have helped would be to be aggressive on 1 line and at least try to win that for your team. You probably wouldn't have done much damage, but with all those TDs behind you the hope would be you'd get a fair amount of spotting.

Thank you for your reply and your patience of watching my uploaded replay.

So you mean I should have gone rushing the line 1?(probably die fast) But even after running food, my camo still wasn't very good.(about 30)

Last time I rushed down line 1 I was shot down without spotting any tanks.(passed E4)

So judging by my previous experience, I decided to wait for someone else with some actual armor to rush.

And yes your inspection is correct.

I only upgraded my turret and tracks.

STEM_JVM #6 Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:22 PM

Corporal

• 20236 battles
  • [ACTX] ACTX

View PostMother_Of_All_Rommel, on 06 July 2018 - 08:00 PM, said:

I pass pta stock grind mainly by farming tracking assist dmg. Terrible winrate and long grind, barely make it 45%. Gun to small to spam HE, but accuracy are on par with 88/L71. keep trying to track stuff at brawl point so you can get assist score when arty shot.

Thank you for your suggestions. :)

STEM_JVM #7 Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:28 PM

Corporal

• 20236 battles
  • [ACTX] ACTX

View PostCelestiaLudenberg, on 06 July 2018 - 08:58 PM, said:

It was my first tier 9 (with the Leopard 1 being my first tier 10, and boy what a mistake that was) and as a result my stats in them show it.

Nevertheless, tomorrow I'll play some games in my PT A and throw up a replay or two for you to watch if you want.

Thank you for your reply.

This is my third ( WT PZ IV, T49, PTA).

If you are willing to do so, I would be very happy :).

Thank you in advance.

Ensign_Brendoonigan #8 Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:19 AM

Staff sergeant

• 5744 battles
  • [WOT-U] WOT-U

I've just got the PTA as well and spent 90k upgrading the turret and gun. I took it out for some training with the clan and have already decided to either buy more free xp when the next sale comes on or I've built up enough to get the engine as well.

Up until that time I'll probably keep her parked in garage. She feels sluggish imho without the tracks and engine and she really needs that mobility to stay alive.

Ensign

To Leopard 1, or not to Leopard 1 is the question!

British Line (Conqueror & Challenger), Chinese Lines (T34-2, 111 5A & WZ-131), French Line (AMX M4 mle. 45), German Line (Leopard PTA), Italian Line (P43.ter). 

2nd MOE: PZ III/IV, T-34

CelestiaLudenberg #9 Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:59 PM

First lieutenant

• 16104 battles
  • [LIFE] LIFE

Here's two back-to-back games I just did.

Mid tier on a good map but typical Leopard gun handling ruining shots. Admittedly quite a boring match due to being so passive.

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4433643#redshire-celestialudenberg-leopard_prototyp_a

Top tier but on a bad map for it where the gun [For the most part] did what it is supposed to.

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4433646#siegfried_line-celestialudenberg-leopard_prototyp_a

3 M.O.E Tanks: E-100, Panzer VII, Leopard 1,  E-75, Leopard PT A, Type 61, Tiger II, VK 45.02A, Indien Panzer, STA-1, Tiger P, Jagdpanther, StuG III G.

SaltyBob_ #10 Posted 07 July 2018 - 04:34 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 42787 battles
  • [CRAZY] CRAZY
Apparently both the PTA and Leo 1 are sniping tanks from the red line  ... I don't have them but that's where I see them all the time   :P

Mother_Of_All_Rommel #11 Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:17 PM

Destroyer of WoT

• 20145 battles

View PostSTEM_JVM, on 06 July 2018 - 11:22 PM, said:

Thank you for your suggestions. :)

If your crew are good, go for spotting assist too. If not, just snipe track second line till you unlock top gun. I havent touch pta for almost a year, busy grinding and edelweiss are far better for mission. Plus, its crew skill not as same as T55A.

Anyone know how to put meme on sig, plss PM me, tq.

NameWasStolenStresslevel #12 Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:54 PM

First lieutenant

• 34561 battles

if you wanna succed working on getting the top modules on leopard PTA without suffering or hurting your PTA stats (which might be the reason of your frustration of  playing with stock gun), my suggestion to you is to play PTA only once a day (the doubles or triples first win XP) and activate XP boosters and preferably get some premium account days.

Also to be honest, i had totally no problem at all with playing PTA stock since 212mm at tier 9 is not really worst than playing tier 8 MM. Also firing some gold at the right targets will help to speed up the process, but firing too much gold will hurt your economics.

Leopard PTA is a balanced tank, i have never felt so much power in my hands when playing that tank (it was my first tier 9 medium tank outside the american tech tree, T55a is still not a single battle played sitting in garage). When i got the top gun and played a few matches, i even stopped playing because i will keep this tank for later when i am inspired. I dont remember which order i got the modules, i think i was following the leopard PTA wiki tips and followed the order to research the modules provided in that site. You should take a look at it.

The stock gun on PTA has crazy good DPM when combined with top turret. You should really value that in that gun.

The top gun on the PTA is delciious... I wanted to get marks in that tank but then i started working night shifts and stopped at 90% after dropping from 94 point something %

Edited by NameWasStolenStresslevel, 07 July 2018 - 06:09 PM.

Forum Guy: "All that Marks of Excelence does is to encourage Damage farming over winning".

Me: "YES sir, MOE does encourage dmg farm over winning, just like winning does encourages: YOLO, Camping far back, gold spamming,"world of capping" mindset, OP premium tier 8's purchases, chat rage, platooning to farm win ratio, toxicity, seal clubbing, arty spam etc..... So i guess winning is much more toxic and bad behavior than dmg farming???"  Wait a minute, wow no one has ever thought about that this way??? Then I must be a genius                                                                                                                                                            https://worldoftanks.asia/en/hall-of-fame/vehicles/A100_T49/#wot&w_ts=overall&w_nb=500

Currently Hall of Fame T49's number 1 in WTR!!! (parameters are *battles +500* and *since 2014's* ranking)

ksthegreat91 #13 Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:06 PM

Corporal

• 9416 battles

Simply put, you'll need to be fully upgraded in the PTA to be even remotely competitive in the current meta.

Unless you want to exp to the top modules, be prepared to suffer.

I took the suffer route and man, did I regret that.

Edited by ksthegreat91, 07 July 2018 - 06:09 PM.

STEM_JVM #14 Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:22 PM

Corporal

• 20236 battles
  • [ACTX] ACTX

View PostEnsign_Brendoonigan, on 07 July 2018 - 08:19 AM, said:

I've just got the PTA as well and spent 90k upgrading the turret and gun. I took it out for some training with the clan and have already decided to either buy more free xp when the next sale comes on or I've built up enough to get the engine as well.

Up until that time I'll probably keep her parked in garage. She feels sluggish imho without the tracks and engine and she really needs that mobility to stay alive.

Yeah....that stock engine power is kind of unbearable.(though I had even more painful St. Emil lol)

STEM_JVM #15 Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:25 PM

Corporal

• 20236 battles
  • [ACTX] ACTX

View PostCelestiaLudenberg, on 07 July 2018 - 12:59 PM, said:

Here's two back-to-back games I just did.

Mid tier on a good map but typical Leopard gun handling ruining shots. Admittedly quite a boring match due to being so passive.

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4433643#redshire-celestialudenberg-leopard_prototyp_a

Top tier but on a bad map for it where the gun [For the most part] did what it is supposed to.

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4433646#siegfried_line-celestialudenberg-leopard_prototyp_a

Thank you! I'll definitely look into your replay later!

STEM_JVM #16 Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:27 PM

Corporal

• 20236 battles
  • [ACTX] ACTX

View PostSaltyBob_, on 07 July 2018 - 04:34 PM, said:

Apparently both the PTA and Leo 1 are sniping tanks from the red line  ... I don't have them but that's where I see them all the time   :P

Yeah....but to effectively support, Leo in fact need to make use of its mobility to switch flank, or even ambush with double bushes scheme.

STEM_JVM #17 Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:30 PM

Corporal

• 20236 battles
  • [ACTX] ACTX

View PostMother_Of_All_Rommel, on 07 July 2018 - 05:17 PM, said:

If your crew are good, go for spotting assist too. If not, just snipe track second line till you unlock top gun. I havent touch pta for almost a year, busy grinding and edelweiss are far better for mission. Plus, its crew skill not as same as T55A.

Well...T55A is actually a T-54 with a weaker Hull.

STEM_JVM #18 Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:52 PM

Corporal

• 20236 battles
  • [ACTX] ACTX

View PostNameWasStolenStresslevel, on 07 July 2018 - 05:54 PM, said:

if you wanna succed working on getting the top modules on leopard PTA without suffering or hurting your PTA stats (which might be the reason of your frustration of  playing with stock gun), my suggestion to you is to play PTA only once a day (the doubles or triples first win XP) and activate XP boosters and preferably get some premium account days.

Also to be honest, i had totally no problem at all with playing PTA stock since 212mm at tier 9 is not really worst than playing tier 8 MM. Also firing some gold at the right targets will help to speed up the process, but firing too much gold will hurt your economics.

Leopard PTA is a balanced tank, i have never felt so much power in my hands when playing that tank (it was my first tier 9 medium tank outside the american tech tree, T55a is still not a single battle played sitting in garage). When i got the top gun and played a few matches, i even stopped playing because i will keep this tank for later when i am inspired. I dont remember which order i got the modules, i think i was following the leopard PTA wiki tips and followed the order to research the modules provided in that site. You should take a look at it.

The stock gun on PTA has crazy good DPM when combined with top turret. You should really value that in that gun.

The top gun on the PTA is delciious... I wanted to get marks in that tank but then i started working night shifts and stopped at 90% after dropping from 94 point something %

I know that the stock gun is not the end of the world, and its stat is even better than 105, which is apparently worse.

However, when you can only shoot those heavily armored tanks frontally, you actually can do nothing but try to track them, since aiming a very small weakspot(for 212 pen) is unreal for the gun with so called .31 accuracy.

If you can offer your replays to me I will be very happy :).(not limited to the 90mm gun)

STEM_JVM #19 Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:57 PM

Corporal

• 20236 battles
  • [ACTX] ACTX

View Postksthegreat91, on 07 July 2018 - 06:06 PM, said:

Simply put, you'll need to be fully upgraded in the PTA to be even remotely competitive in the current meta.

Unless you want to exp to the top modules, be prepared to suffer.

I took the suffer route and man, did I regret that.

Well, I believe that crawling through these researching process, I will be a better PTA player.(as well as my IS-3):)

BrutalOlyx #20 Posted 07 July 2018 - 10:34 PM

Staff sergeant

• 27897 battles
  • [BAMF] BAMF

I have played quite a few games in the PTA, but never went to the Leapord1

The lack of turret armor is a killer, and the general lack of any armor at all is a greater killer. On big maps it is a fun tank to play, but not as fun as the AMX 13 90.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users