Telstra NBN issues?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

ShippingSteel #1 Posted 19 July 2018 - 01:35 PM

Private

• 40 battles
Hi all, I downloaded the game but was unable to log in. I kept getting the server down/network connections issue message coming up. I contacted support and eventually they were able to identify the problem being that my NBN F@st 5355 router needed port forwarding to connect so suggested I contact Telstra. To cut a very long story short, Telstra wanted to charge me $90 for port forwarding plus $10 per month for the static IP address they said I needed for the port forwarding process to work.  I'm not hugely tech savvy so I'm just wondering firstly if that sounds feasible and also if other Aussie players on NBN have had the same problem?  Thanks!    

manofleisure #2 Posted 19 July 2018 - 02:36 PM

Corporal

• Beta-Tester
  • 19180 battles
  • [LEFT] LEFT
Sounds like mumbo jumbo to me -- depends on the network set up where you play but you shouldn't need static ip or port forwards. I am on Telstra NBN and dont require either of those

Angus775n #3 Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:34 PM

Sergeant

• 52954 battles
  • [PRC] PRC

Nope, on NBN, no change to how the game connected when it changed over from ASDL2 to NBN either.

Maybe a ticket to support (Wargaming) to see if they can assist?

ShippingSteel #4 Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:43 PM

Private

• 40 battles
Thanks guys.  Support at Wargaming were very helpful and were the ones that narrowed it down to a router issue.  If I plug my modem directly into the PC then I could log into the game fine, but then no one else in the house has internet access... which they got upset about for some reason!  I just don't know enough to understand all the stuff Telstra gave me about port forwarding and a static IP... and don't think I should have to pay for something that is clearly a router issue rather than something with my PC or this game. 

wasaabi #5 Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:03 PM

This Dude Abides

• Senior Moderator
  • 21256 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

View PostShippingSteel, on 19 July 2018 - 07:43 PM, said:

Thanks guys.  Support at Wargaming were very helpful and were the ones that narrowed it down to a router issue.  If I plug my modem directly into the PC then I could log into the game fine, but then no one else in the house has internet access... which they got upset about for some reason!  I just don't know enough to understand all the stuff Telstra gave me about port forwarding and a static IP... and don't think I should have to pay for something that is clearly a router issue rather than something with my PC or this game. 

I am on Telstra NBN and have no issue connecting without port forwarding.  My router is attached to a switch and all internal connections are default.  My advice is to have the router configured to provide addresses via DHCP, and to have your PC set for automatic addressing.

The Dude abides.

Spoiler

ShippingSteel #6 Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:07 PM

Private

• 40 battles
Thanks for the advice wasaabi. I'll try to get that sorted out over the weekend. 

manofleisure #7 Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:53 AM

Corporal

• Beta-Tester
  • 19180 battles
  • [LEFT] LEFT

How did you go mate?

also should have asked how you are connecting to your router at the moment (wireless, via a LAN cable + switch? etc)

ShippingSteel #8 Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:45 AM

Private

• 40 battles
Thanks for following up mate. I went to see a local tech at the weekend to follow wasaabi's advice and he mentioned that he'd heard of a couple of others with issues like mine (not with WoT.. just NBN customers trying to get onto other game servers) and while he was happy to charge me for the work, he didn't reckon I should be paying for it so I went back to Telstra and they still wouldn't budge on the costs or sending me a new router to try out so I rang the ombudsmen's office.  Telstra suddenly became very happy to provide me a new router (apparently the type I have has been phased due to issues!!) and the new model is due in the next couple of days.  Hopefully that sorts it out for me. 

Edited by ShippingSteel, 25 July 2018 - 10:57 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users