Any tips on how to improve?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Gok_winner #1 Posted 03 October 2018 - 10:58 PM

Corporal

• 1536 battles
Hello, I just started Wot several weeks ago.  I am also a Wotb player of several years, so I do know some things like side scraping. However, I am still very noob in playing the PC variant, usually getting exposed and killed quickly. I have tried watching replays of good players, however, are there any tips experienced players can provide? Eg. how to avoid getting hit by arty, getting isolated and destroyed, etc etc. Thank you for any tips offered!

MadHouse10101 #2 Posted 03 October 2018 - 11:28 PM

Legit T-22 btw

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 21335 battles
  • [YETI] YETI
not getting art'ed is hard but obviously once you learn where the arty normally position them selves you can line your self up with the arty and put high cover between you and that position, and getting islated and destroyed is just staying with the team, even if it means not going to where your tank is "Suppose" to go, and if you see a position is falling and dying moving your self out of that position to a new one before you end up being part of the destruction. It just takes time and learning from your mistakes to get good at this game, if you do something where you really get messed up, theres a good chance if you do it again, the same result will occur. No one starts off good at this game, theres just to much to learn, but watching replays, videos streams in my opinion is the fastest way of getting good at the game.

DoYouAreHaveStupid #3 Posted 03 October 2018 - 11:45 PM

No hOpE left.

• 26894 battles
What Mad said, the best way to learn really is just watching good players play and trying to analyse what they're doing. 

My Replay Thread | YouTube | Want Your Replay Reviewed?

"...if that battle had KAC players there would be some of the worst gameplay the server has seen. I'd be yoloing, Ezz would be ramming, Robin would tk siggy, everyone else would likely afk at base as we'd struggle to get more than 5 on at one time. Shit did I just let out our master tier 4 strat?" - King Yolo, PBKAC

Puggsley #4 Posted 04 October 2018 - 11:12 AM

Captain

• 65107 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

Taking a moment to think about each battle after it ended helped me a fair bit. What worked, what didn't, what should I do more, what should i do less.

Watching other players is good, I recall someone saying to pause the play regularly and see if you can predict what the good player will do, then see how close you got. Then think about why.

The "why" is by far the most important thing. And it is rarely the thing you get from watching - Pro's videos were good in explaining the why. That puts everything into context. Doing action X can be both good and bad depending on what is happening in the game.

Minimap as big as you can get it. It is your key to awareness.

Check your game settings as well, there are a few people with vids about how to set it up. Might be some really easy gains just from that.

Another thing which really helped me was understanding about aggression. Well directed, it wins lots of games, especially ones in the balance. 4tankersandadog has some good vids on this.

x_GaRRuK_x #5 Posted 04 October 2018 - 04:08 PM

Planeswalker

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 46244 battles
  • [LEFT] LEFT

Play less battles on tanks incompatible with your play style. 

If you don't like getting hit by arty, either play arty or fast tanks with high camo rate, and Tds good at defending the base. Playing Hts, you are required to push on the front-line, else you'll get a lot of complaining from your team. If you play a MT, then make you sure you do more of a support role rather than an mvp ending up with so many kills but still losing the battle, what I meant is, don't be greedy on kills if you know you might end up losing, and don't be too overconfident not to cap if you have the chance to win a fast one. I saw too many battles turned around from winning to losing just because tanks didn't cap to pressure the enemy team into committing more mistakes. Overall, know your tank role in every battle. 

To be a good player you need at least 6th sense (makes you aware that you are a target and you need cover) for the commander and a good gun for your tank. You need to read the team and enemy lineup, so you could decide early on where on the map your tank is needed most. Example is if there ain't no ht on your line up and your an mt with a good armor then you are next in line to to position yourself in the heavy lane. And don't leave a post unless it is really necessary. If you leave a post then you are opening your team's back to enemy fire. 

Read the map, and analyze the movement of the tanks of your team, then adjust, no need to die solo, battles are won by teamwork and not by individual prowess (though it helps to have unicums in your team) you might want to retreat from losing flanks and better to set up an ambush or hold a position where u can delay your enemy push and provide your winning flank enough time to give your team the advantage and  finally win the battle.

Always lend a helping hand to your team, if you could save a tank from dying, do it without hesitation, every gun in the battle matters. Avoid fighting within the team. Never press negative unless you have to, keep the team morale high. And don't imitate others firing shells in the air at the start of the battle. It makes your hit stat ratio or accuracy rate on a low level, and you waste small credits from doing so. Bring the 3 type of shells, use 2 if u need to save yourself or you wanted a kill so bad. Use 3 on blind-firing, tracking or destroying modules of heavily armored tanks, and for resetting cap points. And use 1 on improving your target skills. 

Study the map, see what locations good players go and why are they so successful in it. But first try to go with tanks you know that need your support and try to watch and help from the back, until you are very comfortable on doing it first in line. Go to training and get a feel on the maps you are not used to. Study the terrains and find good locations for the type of tank you intend to play with. 

Finally join clans active on platooning and doing tier 6 strong holds, it will help you realize  map strategies and positional values on each map you'll encounter. 

The Sky is Blue

Gok_winner #6 Posted 04 October 2018 - 08:54 PM

Corporal

• 1536 battles
Thanks for the tips! Will keep that in mind. In the meantime, I think I will switch from using the OI heavy to some other mediums. Thanks!

azls73 #7 Posted 05 October 2018 - 06:00 AM

Staff sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 34336 battles

View PostGok_winner, on 03 October 2018 - 10:58 PM, said:

Hello, I just started Wot several weeks ago.  I am also a Wotb player of several years, so I do know some things like side scraping. However, I am still very noob in playing the PC variant, usually getting exposed and killed quickly. I have tried watching replays of good players, however, are there any tips experienced players can provide? Eg. how to avoid getting hit by arty, getting isolated and destroyed, etc etc. Thank you for any tips offered!

WOT wiki page always been all tankies ultimate tips and info despite friendly tips. 

Check it out,,!! 

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Main_Page

Horse_the_mountain_goat #8 Posted 05 October 2018 - 02:00 PM

Sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 48337 battles
  • [YETI] YETI

Happy to jump in a training room and show a few tips if you wish over voice chat.

Im no pro but have experience in all vehicles.

Feel free to contact ingame

MagicalFlyingFox #9 Posted 05 October 2018 - 03:46 PM

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW

• Beta-Tester
  • 31619 battles
  • [YETI] YETI

View PostProloser_The_Atomistic, on 04 October 2018 - 01:45 AM, said:

What Mad said, the best way to learn really is just watching good players play and trying to analyse what they're doing. 

And actually playing and trying to apply what you learn.

http://www.theuselessweb.com/

A. Guy on 02 June 2018 - 12:40 AM, said:

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW... says it all about you.

Gok_winner #10 Posted 05 October 2018 - 08:49 PM

Corporal

• 1536 battles
Thanks for all the help! Really appreciate it.

Arista_Skyfall #11 Posted 15 October 2018 - 08:40 AM

Sergeant

• 16153 battles
Happy to hope into discord and plat with you if you want at some point. Same goes for anyone else, just shoot me an invite in-game

CelestiaLudenberg #12 Posted 15 October 2018 - 11:35 AM

On Conan's Naughty List

• 19844 battles
  • [TEAL] TEAL

The bulk of it has been covered by the others.

The best thing to do is assess what your preferred playstyle is, then go down a tank line that is most suited to said playstyle.

Something I find a lot of players do not do is to set your loading screen to the minimap. Knowing which spawn you are on during the loading screen gives you that extra time on top of the 30s countdown to assess what tanks your team and the enemy team have and where they are likely to be going. This is very useful as it lets you decide where you are going to go. Say you are in something like and Object 140, you see you are on Westfield and are matched against an M48 Patton, it is safe to assume that there is a good chance they will go up top and go hulldown against the heavy tanks, meaning you can generally be more aggressive playing the south side since there hopefully not be a tier 10 medium to oppose you there.

Also do not be afraid to reach out beyond the forums alone to unicums/superunicums, PM us in-game and ask to plat or go into a training room to show you where you should go in certain tanks as well as how to use the specifics of that area once you get there. 

Something else to keep in mind is, if you see your flank is falling and is realistically not going to be winnable, do not throw away your HP trying to hold off. Just fall back and become a more passive/support player, or go and help push the other flank so you can free up breathing room. If when doing this, some pubbie who was with you complains about you 'running away' and berates you in chat, just ignore them, you were smart enough to see the situation at hand, they were not. It is as simple as that.

That said, sometimes it may also be one of said unicums/superunicums who is raging, once again, just ignore us as it will be due to us being on tilt, and playing on tilt is a surefire way to make yourself play even worse, which becomes an endless cycle. Moral of the story, ignore people raging in chat, regardless of who they are.

Asking for replays and watching streams/YT videos is also a good resource, though sometimes you may need the person on-hand to actively explain what they are doing and why they are doing it.

The learning curve in this game gets very steep, I am most definitely not the best player on the server, I'd probably give that title to Top_Player_CN, but if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask, either here on the forums or in-game. 

[If in-game you may need to reference this thread as I am not the best at remembering names of players I am not often around]

Edited by CelestiaLudenberg, 15 October 2018 - 11:35 AM.

>When I hear a 4 door 20e auto 33 going WADADADADADADADADADADADADADADA in the rain

Ezz #13 Posted 15 October 2018 - 04:12 PM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 65665 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Wait... You can change your loading screen? Jeepers! That could actually be useful. 

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

Puggsley #14 Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:54 PM

Captain

• 65107 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

View PostEzz, on 15 October 2018 - 08:12 AM, said:

Wait... You can change your loading screen? Jeepers! That could actually be useful. 

I just recently changed this and its very useful.

And if overall stats are important to you, then I totally agree with Cel about finding your preferred playstyle and hence suitable tanks. I've just had a look at my tank by tank stats as a result to see any trends.

I'm got a try it all approach and have nearly every TX tank (only the Kranvagn, K91 and Prog 65 are not in the garage). 

Some worked for me, some didn't but they all go into my stats. The increased performance in my decently armoured turret tanks is obvious (56% to 61%). If I was a lot more selective about which lines I played (assuming I went to the trouble of identifying which attributes made me win more) then I could potentially have much better overall stats. My collecting urges and stats focus seem to be at odds with each other. :)

If you are looking to get decent stats, for my 2 cents I'd strongly suggest looking at lines which feature strong turrets early on. Nearly all maps have places which you can abuse this, and it suits the current meta (and probably most metas which might evolve).

Gok_winner #15 Posted 16 October 2018 - 01:38 PM

Corporal

• 1536 battles
For my bootcamp reward, I chose the OI, however, I don’t exactly like it as I find it too slow and an easy target for artillery. How do I play it better?
I like using my French sarl 42, but every game I seem to get few shots only before dying. Any other tips on improving?

Gok_winner #16 Posted 16 October 2018 - 01:41 PM

Corporal

• 1536 battles

View PostPuggsley, on 16 October 2018 - 12:54 PM, said:

I just recently changed this and its very useful.

And if overall stats are important to you, then I totally agree with Cel about finding your preferred playstyle and hence suitable tanks. I've just had a look at my tank by tank stats as a result to see any trends.

I'm got a try it all approach and have nearly every TX tank (only the Kranvagn, K91 and Prog 65 are not in the garage). 

Some worked for me, some didn't but they all go into my stats. The increased performance in my decently armoured turret tanks is obvious (56% to 61%). If I was a lot more selective about which lines I played (assuming I went to the trouble of identifying which attributes made me win more) then I could potentially have much better overall stats. My collecting urges and stats focus seem to be at odds with each other. :)

If you are looking to get decent stats, for my 2 cents I'd strongly suggest looking at lines which feature strong turrets early on. Nearly all maps have places which you can abuse this, and it suits the current meta (and probably most metas which might evolve).

I’ll try to use more tanks with heavily armoured turrets. I was a blitz player, and I got up to the amx 50b. Should I try going up the auto loader lines in pc too? They sound fun and challenging to play.

Gok_winner #17 Posted 16 October 2018 - 01:42 PM

Corporal

• 1536 battles
I heard the Swedish line has auto loading tanks with strong turrets. How are they? Should I try them?

mttspiii #18 Posted 16 October 2018 - 01:49 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 30527 battles
  • [CALM] CALM

View PostGok_winner, on 16 October 2018 - 01:42 PM, said:

I heard the Swedish line has auto loading tanks with strong turrets. How are they? Should I try them?

If you don't mind horrid aim time and gun dispersion, and don't mind being bombed by arty for 20% of your HP every time you aim, give it a try.

I'm fierce and I'm feeling mighty,

I'm a golden girl, I'm an Aphrodite

BrutalOlyx #19 Posted 17 October 2018 - 10:27 PM

Staff sergeant

• 32699 battles

The best way to improve is to rush up the line and get the highest tier tank you can. It is only logical that if you have a better tank than the one you are currently playing, you will naturally have better games right?

And once you rush to that tier 10 tank, play it all the time. And disable chat because you dont want people writing to you and distracting you while you play your tier 10 tanks.

Ignore winrate (matchmaking is rigged, there are 14 others on your team too, so those losses will not really be your fault), instead focus on your improved average damage per game stat.

I suggest the Tiger II line for starters, so you can play the legendary King Tiger.

MagicalFlyingFox #20 Posted 17 October 2018 - 11:24 PM

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW

• Beta-Tester
  • 31619 battles
  • [YETI] YETI

View PostBrutalOlyx, on 18 October 2018 - 01:27 AM, said:

The best way to improve is to rush up the line and get the highest tier tank you can. It is only logical that if you have a better tank than the one you are currently playing, you will naturally have better games right?

And once you rush to that tier 10 tank, play it all the time. And disable chat because you dont want people writing to you and distracting you while you play your tier 10 tanks.

Ignore winrate (matchmaking is rigged, there are 14 others on your team too, so those losses will not really be your fault), instead focus on your improved average damage per game stat.

I suggest the Tiger II line for starters, so you can play the legendary King Tiger.

If you are going to do that, at least grind up to something good. Like the Leopard 1. 

http://www.theuselessweb.com/

A. Guy on 02 June 2018 - 12:40 AM, said:

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW... says it all about you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users