Map Suggestion: Manila

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Warhammer124 #1 Posted 08 October 2018 - 09:26 PM

Representative of the anti drama organization

• 10518 battles
  • [GUARD] GUARD

Before you start saying that I'm suggesting this because I'm filipino, that's not just it. I feel manila would make a great city map in wot. 

Its also historical. There were shermans brought to the philippines during ww2. I guess it would look like the map "Kharkov" before it was removed

Carrots Only Become salty when you roast them with flavor. - Warhammer124

Sir_Direkin #2 Posted 08 October 2018 - 10:06 PM

Purveyor of Salt

• 10192 battles
So the plan is to introduce a map that looks like Kharkov, which was originally removed due to being imbalanced? Might as well just bring Kharkov back, with WG's patent "improvements".

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCumyqpRUeOPCy1RcKXl96VA

2nd MoE: AMX 12t, KV-85, M6 Heavy, M24 Chaffee, T-34, T-50, T1 Heavy

ThomChen114 #3 Posted 08 October 2018 - 10:31 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 34997 battles

View PostWarhammer124, on 08 October 2018 - 09:26 PM, said:

Before you start saying that I'm suggesting this because I'm Filipino, that's not just it. I feel Manila would make a great city map in WoT. 

It's also historical. There were Shermans brought to the Philippines during ww2. I guess it would look like the map "Kharkov" before it was removed

They're reworking Kharkov, it'll come back soon enough.

And I don't think it would look like Kharkov either. I'd compare it more to Stalingrad in terms of how much of the city was devastated by shelling and bombing by the US forces, but unlike Stalingrad, it would have more landmarks and character to it (at the very least have a different color palette in terms of tropical). 

it would help if you could back it up with some detailed suggestions on what part of Manila.

It'd be a good guess that it would be around the Old City, with prominent landmarks including the Pasig River, the Intramuros, City Hal, Manila Cathedral, and Manila Hotel.

Manila_capture.jpg

Spoiler

Due to map size restrictions of up to 1000x1000, it'd probably be just set within Intramuros or include the northeast section of it, with the Pasig River bordering the north (so that arty can drown themselves in it).

Owned Tier 10s: Obj 907, IS-7, Obj 140, M60, M48A5 Patton, STB-1, WZ-111 5A, 113, Centurion Action X, Super Conqueror, Badger

ManilaDjo #4 Posted 08 October 2018 - 11:31 PM

Private

• 3256 battles
  • [WOT-U] WOT-U
I obviously support the motion. Hehe

B7_NAGATO #5 Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:56 AM

M4SOPMOD2 POWER OP

• In-Training Moderator
  • 15942 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

yeah, for my perspective , I want Asian server to get some attention for their presence in wot community. and making maps for us is also happy to hear to be honest. like from manila (Philippines), Surabaya (Indonesia) ,and many Asian war theaters.

pokeranger24 #6 Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:03 AM

Dark Meister of Tanks

• 9626 battles
  • [SPIDA] SPIDA

View PostB7_NAGATO, on 09 October 2018 - 12:56 AM, said:

many Asian war theaters.

Then Saipan would be a great choice, WG did sponsor a video for Extra Credits a month or so back

I did hear there is an Island Map in super test but I dont know what happened to it

Edited by pokeranger24, 09 October 2018 - 02:04 AM.

The Great Overlords of Wargaming have bestowed me with the Title of Dark Meister of Tanks, The controller of RNG and MM

Thou must shout my name if you want favorable RNG and MM

FramFramson #7 Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:41 AM

Major

• 38648 battles

Yeah, I remember the Island preview. Looked like a neat map, but then the preview of the original test Province showed an amazing map and instead we got a shitpile.

There's also the Great Wall map which is coming out soon and looks okay (it's corridor-y with different corridor styles, like Windstorm used to be, but APPEARS to have better crossover between corridors with a fair number of alternate paths).

LT-playing masochist. It's too much fun to be a mosquito.

Warhammer124 #8 Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:43 AM

Representative of the anti drama organization

• 10518 battles
  • [GUARD] GUARD

View PostSir_Direkin, on 08 October 2018 - 10:06 PM, said:

So the plan is to introduce a map that looks like Kharkov, which was originally removed due to being imbalanced? Might as well just bring Kharkov back, with WG's patent "improvements".

I'm not saying it should be like kharkov. I'm just saying in terms of looks, and terrain. Not in terms of structure. By "looking" like it, I meant it would be a ruined city, just like what kharkov looked like.
Carrots Only Become salty when you roast them with flavor. - Warhammer124

The_average_tanker #9 Posted 09 October 2018 - 11:26 AM

Wallet warrior extraordinaire!

• 10557 battles
  • [F-S-A] F-S-A

Some desert maps for the many many real tank battles india and pakistan have had! More maps are always welcome.

mttspiii #10 Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:10 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 29504 battles
  • [CALM] CALM

View PostWarhammer124, on 09 October 2018 - 07:43 AM, said:

I'm not saying it should be like kharkov. I'm just saying in terms of looks, and terrain. Not in terms of structure. By "looking" like it, I meant it would be a ruined city, just like what kharkov looked like.

It shouldn't have been a ruined city had the 31st Naval Base-sitters followed Yamashita's orders to defend Baguio. But again the IJN would do anything to undermine the IJA, even if it means failing the main mission of buying time for the defense of Japan.

This insubordination only delayed the Allies by a month, but practically burned down Manila and its inhabitants in doing so (including McArthur's Manila Hotel penthouse, for which he was very pissed). They also committed atrocities in the defense, for which Yamashita was blamed for as war crimes and executed for it.

Moral of the story: even if you're good, if your lower-tiers are bad then you're still in trouble.

So anyway, back to the Manila map: a 1kmx1km map around Intramuros gives it the look of a jumbled, tropical Paris (true to its pre-war moniker "Paris of Asia" ). Except of course, it's 1945, with the heavy, smoggy dark air from fires all around (same as Manila today actually), mostly upright buildings (at least, those that haven't been 'intermittently' shelled), and surprisingly, no traffic. At the horizon you could see what is today BGC as an American fort, a few haciendas before it became Makati, parts of Pasig River, the hospital at the river full of TB patients, maybe Malacanang, Binondo, and Manila Bay with a few ships. It will be nice, but it's up to Conan if it can be really viable as a map.

Edited by mttspiii, 09 October 2018 - 02:12 PM.

I'm fierce and I'm feeling mighty,

I'm a golden girl, I'm an Aphrodite

mttspiii #11 Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:14 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 29504 battles
  • [CALM] CALM

View PostB7_NAGATO, on 09 October 2018 - 12:56 AM, said:

yeah, for my perspective , I want Asian server to get some attention for their presence in wot community. and making maps for us is also happy to hear to be honest. like from manila (Philippines), Surabaya (Indonesia) ,and many Asian war theaters.

I personally thing Singapore is a nice map. One side forest other side big modern port city. Has big naval guns pointing seawards. Would also be good for an Assault map.

I'm fierce and I'm feeling mighty,

I'm a golden girl, I'm an Aphrodite

FramFramson #12 Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:24 PM

Major

• 38648 battles

View Postmttspiii, on 09 October 2018 - 01:10 AM, said:

Moral of the story: even if you're good, if your lower-tiers are bad then you're still in trouble.

Take it to the Failure To Carry thread. :P

ThomChen114 #13 Posted 09 October 2018 - 10:24 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 34997 battles

mttspiii, on 09 October 2018 - 02:10 PM, said:

It shouldn't have been a ruined city had the 31st Naval Base-sitters followed Yamashita's orders to defend Baguio. But again the IJN would do anything to undermine the IJA, even if it means failing the main mission of buying time for the defense of Japan.

this seems to be a common theme, even before Japan went to war with the USA. The IJN really pushed for the southbound strategy (ignoring the fact that the Japanese troops was still fighting in China), partly to acquire fuel from the Dutch East Indies, or all so that the IJN could sail their shiny new ships (while they still had the fuel to do so).

Japan had wanted half the Pacific Ocean.

America gave them the bottom half.

Owned Tier 10s: Obj 907, IS-7, Obj 140, M60, M48A5 Patton, STB-1, WZ-111 5A, 113, Centurion Action X, Super Conqueror, Badger

FramFramson #14 Posted 10 October 2018 - 03:39 AM

Major

• 38648 battles
Well, it's widely known that Yamamoto anticipated exactly what would happen in terms of a Pacific war, and was correct almost to the day (Midway).

Edited by FramFramson, 10 October 2018 - 03:40 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users