Rental tank review: Somua SM

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #1 Posted 04 November 2018 - 04:11 PM

Blue Mountain Aoyama

• Beta-Tester
  • 70279 battles

The Somua is one of the string of P2W tanks that WG is releasing. But is it really OP on the ASIA server?

Good tank, bad matchmaker

The international stats above provided by The Armored Patrol above shows an OP 52.5%. Yet here on the ASIA server, even doing >20% more damage, more kills, and more assists, does not give it a winrate better than 50%. I started with 17% and managed to get it to 53 or 54 at one point, but from how the tank handles the 50% winrate is justified. At best in the low 50's.

Why it is said to be OP (or what is mentioned in the advert)

Armor. Gun handling. DPM. Intra-clip reload. Autoloader burst. Penetration. Basically firepower in general.

The AMX 50 has paper-thin armor to balance out the autoloader. Having armor may fix the problem and make the French autoloader HT an overpowered vehicle, considering how the Emil series is doing with less firepower and only turret armor.

What is not mentioned in the advert

The mobility. I expected the mobility of a moderately-fast heavy, not an IS-6. This tank has the lowest mobility when compared to all meta-relevant tanks. Even IS-6 feels more responsive.

Its strength is its weakness

So the armor is its strength. However the armor is useless on the ASIA server. 250mm penetration cuts through it easily. Which means pretty much any gold round from tier 8 and higher, and tier 9 and high-penetration tier 8 can hit through it without gold. And considering the 357MM and the gold meta on this server, you can see what's wrong.

And even if you don't have that much penetration for the hull, the turret presents another target with even less armor. The target is smaller than the hull, but with the whole of the turret vulnerable it is still a pretty large target.

With the armor useless, the mobility loss is lost for nothing. It does get good firepower and accuracy, but seldom gets the chance to make it useful. The strength of autoloader lies in ambush and support, and the Somua is too slow. Other autoloaders can rush forward at the start of the match and kill any opposing rusher, but by the time the Somua reaches, at least 2 enemy tanks have reached. So it becomes a peekaboo battle, which is never good for an autoloader with a big paper turret. How about relocating / flanking / supporting / jungling? Too slow too. Want to push? Well you can't do that in an AMX 50 but you can do that in the Emil series.

So the only time the Somua does well, is against lower tiers and same tiers that are not shooting gold. Which does not happen a lot on the ASIA server or with skill-based MM.

And sometimes even if you are top tier, if the matchmaker wants you to lose, you lose.

Welcome to ASIA server. Welcome to skill-based MM.

The Somua SM is an overpowered tank on other servers where it gets many chances to bully lower-tier tanks with 200mm or less pen. But on ASIA server and skill-based MM? You'd be better off with a Lorraine or something and actually support the team to victory.

Edited by Aoyama_Blue_Mountain, 04 November 2018 - 04:15 PM.

FramFramson #2 Posted 04 November 2018 - 05:20 PM

Major

• 39810 battles
  • [AVAST] AVAST

Dat game.

Weeewwwwwwwww.

LT-playing masochist. It's too much fun to be a mosquito.

mttspiii #3 Posted 04 November 2018 - 10:12 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 29753 battles
  • [CALM] CALM
So...TL;DR ASIA goldspams so hard that game balance is destroyed and entire premium-tank products from WG lie unbought because of it.

Edited by mttspiii, 04 November 2018 - 10:12 PM.

I'm fierce and I'm feeling mighty,

I'm a golden girl, I'm an Aphrodite

Dan_Nukem #4 Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:20 PM

Corporal

• 12716 battles
dont forget that in SEA sever meta is relly bad i do not see support (even kv2) because of its reload time however this tank is fun ...

BrutalOlyx #5 Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:31 PM

Staff sergeant

• 31852 battles
  • [BAMF] BAMF

This tank is slow, has poor camo, and barely usable armor unless against tier6 or 7.

But if you can get in close and dump that clip, the SM is a brute even against tier10 tanks.

I very much like playing the SkopG, Strv S1 Lorraine 40t and Somua SM because the standard ammo is very good and they are great money makers and are competitive against tier10 tanks shooting standard ammo. The EVEN 90 is another good money maker due to the epic spotting.

The rest of the tier8 premiums suck IMO.

You dont play tier8 premiums for the winrate, you play them for the coin. Tier9 and 7 is where the good winrates are.

Edited by BrutalOlyx, 05 November 2018 - 09:32 PM.

FengQingQingZhuang #6 Posted 06 November 2018 - 01:10 AM

Tiny Tank Connoisseur

• 10960 battles
Just curious as a side note , are you playing in HK or ANZ sub-servers ? The two servers still differ greatly in play style , ANZ still allows for great flexibility .

Playing K-91 makes me happy XD

CelestiaLudenberg #7 Posted 06 November 2018 - 09:51 AM

On Conan's Naughty List

• 18861 battles
  • [MYTH] MYTH

I found it to be a pretty solid tank, the armor on it can, and does, block shots, especially from tier 6/7 and lower pen tier 8's.

The gun is also far better than that of the 50 100, losing one shell in the clip but having a clip reload that is 13s faster as well as having the intra-clip be 0.5s faster makes a huge difference. 

I only played 30 games in mine during my rental time as I was focused on grinding, but I came out with 2.3k DPG and 69%, which I think is pretty respectable compared to my 50 100 which is sitting at 2.5k and 54% respectively.

It isn't overpowered, it is a nicely balanced tank imo.

3 M.O.E Tanks: E-100, Panzer VII, E-50M, Leopard 1,  E-75, Leopard PT A, Type 61, Tiger II, VK 45.02A, Indien Panzer, IS-3, STA-1, T-34-2, Type 59, Tiger P, Jagdpanther, StuG III G.

mttspiii #8 Posted 06 November 2018 - 12:32 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 29753 battles
  • [CALM] CALM

View PostFengQingQingZhuang, on 06 November 2018 - 01:10 AM, said:

Just curious as a side note , are you playing in HK or ANZ sub-servers ? The two servers still differ greatly in play style , ANZ still allows for great flexibility .

HK. I try my best to bring ANZ-style AP-spamming aggressive gameplay to HK but it simply falls flat in the face and fails badly.

I'm fierce and I'm feeling mighty,

I'm a golden girl, I'm an Aphrodite

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #9 Posted 06 November 2018 - 01:52 PM

Blue Mountain Aoyama

• Beta-Tester
  • 70279 battles

View PostFengQingQingZhuang, on 06 November 2018 - 01:10 AM, said:

*200mm (effective) armor is no armor*

*Bottom tier 357 every battle*

What do you think?

Edited by Aoyama_Blue_Mountain, 06 November 2018 - 01:53 PM.

FengQingQingZhuang #10 Posted 06 November 2018 - 03:39 PM

Tiny Tank Connoisseur

• 10960 battles

View Postmttspiii, on 06 November 2018 - 12:32 PM, said:

HK. I try my best to bring ANZ-style AP-spamming aggressive gameplay to HK but it simply falls flat in the face and fails badly.

AP or APCR is still workable on both server given the high penetration nature of the French 100mm , what I think is you probably play the Somua as a traditional heavy and did not get much opportunities .

View PostAoyama_Blue_Mountain, on 06 November 2018 - 01:52 PM, said:

*200mm (effective) armor is no armor*

*Bottom tier 357 every battle*

What do you think?

Hard to determine , both HK and ANZ puts me on the bottom tier half the time but HK does have more chance on seeing mid to lower tier given the larger population .

Playing K-91 makes me happy XD

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #11 Posted 06 November 2018 - 07:38 PM

Blue Mountain Aoyama

• Beta-Tester
  • 70279 battles

View PostFengQingQingZhuang, on 06 November 2018 - 03:39 PM, said:

AP or APCR is still workable on both server given the high penetration nature of the French 100mm , what I think is you probably play the Somua as a traditional heavy and did not get much opportunities .

Hard to determine , both HK and ANZ puts me on the bottom tier half the time but HK does have more chance on seeing mid to lower tier given the larger population .

Half?

It's like 57% are bottom 357 and 16% are bottom 510 here. I have literally 2 threads on this.

_HoPeY_ #12 Posted 06 November 2018 - 09:15 PM

Major

• 94265 battles
  • [MARIO] MARIO
112 games 65% WR without trying. Things pretty good. Nuf said.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users