How to be Very Good in SPG's?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

HoPeY_ #1 Posted 23 November 2018 - 03:35 AM

Major

• 99981 battles
  • [SABRE] SABRE

I'm an average SPG player. I think my set up, crews etc are fine. I can usually see why people are worse than me in them but the opposite I just don't get.

How are people getting better WR's than me in SPG's? How do some players get outstanding KDR's? I thought we just had to click and eat chips, am I missing something?

Ezz #2 Posted 23 November 2018 - 05:29 AM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 67772 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Bia, food and vents help. Know key locations where battles turn. Be good at leading targets both in over head and battle assistant. Look for opportunities to hit multiple targets. Identify key targets based on map. Use right click to hold aim where a target is when you're scanning for others / looking for cb.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

HoPeY_ #3 Posted 23 November 2018 - 05:33 AM

Major

• 99981 battles
  • [SABRE] SABRE

Do all that. Must be more... (although location they might park could be different)

I have very good awareness of pub games, most of them go certain places.

spacewolf #4 Posted 23 November 2018 - 05:44 AM

I still think it's morally wrong so in fact I'm right.

• Beta-Tester
  • 72737 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Scruffytrap used to be a bloody monster in spg's. Not sure if he's still around but see if you can get some replays off him (if he is about).

Proudly sponsored by WG

Ezz #5 Posted 23 November 2018 - 05:45 AM

• Beta-Tester
  • 67772 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Oh and blind fire too. Beyond that maybe your awareness isn't as good as you think. 

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

HoPeY_ #6 Posted 23 November 2018 - 05:48 AM

Major

• 99981 battles
  • [SABRE] SABRE

View Postspacewolf, on 23 November 2018 - 05:44 AM, said:

Scruffytrap used to be a bloody monster in spg's. Not sure if he's still around but see if you can get some replays off him (if he is about).

Thanks.

View PostEzz, on 23 November 2018 - 05:45 AM, said:

Oh and blind fire too. Beyond that maybe your awareness isn't as good as you think. 

Yeah maybe. I do get lots of damage out of innocent looking bushes :)

Fluffy_Water_Bear #7 Posted 23 November 2018 - 08:12 AM

wat

• 23565 battles
  • [BLAP] BLAP
If there is another arty dont be in the same position as them, try and situate yourself so you have a different field of fire.

Also move after each shot, even if it's only 15m. Helps to counter counter-battery.

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #8 Posted 23 November 2018 - 08:34 AM

Blue Mountain Aoyama

• Beta-Tester
  • 74329 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY

Because people with lower global WR gets better team matchup?

Block Quote

Occam's razor (also Ockham's razor or Ocham's razorLatinlex parsimoniae "law of parsimony") is the problem-solving principle that the simplest solution tends to be the correct one.

Noobs don't snipe because they are good at snipe; noobs snipe because they can't do anything else / People don't lose because they lemming; people lemming because they are losers

Do not confuse team strength with individual strength; a single enemy killed in a 1v3 is worth more than two enemies killed in a 4v2 / Lanchester's Square Law predicts in a 2v1, the side with 2 will end with 1.5 tanks remaining, so if you won with less than that remaining, you're actually noob, not pro

When you are not losing because you outnumber the enemy, your other flank is losing because they are outnumbered; it's just math

Law of mirror: When you are holding a 1v6 against the enemy, you own team is also getting 6v1 held by the enemy

Noob self-balancing theory: When you release a good tank, enough noobs will flood to play it, until the server stats become average again

HoPeY_ #9 Posted 23 November 2018 - 08:49 AM

Major

• 99981 battles
  • [SABRE] SABRE
Do all this, I need more. No good vids?

Ezz #10 Posted 23 November 2018 - 08:53 AM

• Beta-Tester
  • 67772 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View Post_HoPeY_, on 23 November 2018 - 10:49 AM, said:

Do all this, I need more. No good vids?

They don't exactly make for scintillating game play. I guess you could look on wotreplays to see if anyone uploads them.

HoPeY_ #11 Posted 23 November 2018 - 08:54 AM

Major

• 99981 battles
  • [SABRE] SABRE
Maybe they plat more or something? Personal scouts, better body guards?

spacewolf #12 Posted 23 November 2018 - 09:05 AM

I still think it's morally wrong so in fact I'm right.

• Beta-Tester
  • 72737 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

Nah Scruff rarely platooned. Being in previous clans with him, I can say that the bulk of his games (when he played mainly only arty) were done solo and he maintained a 56ish win rate. 

I have no idea what he did - as Ezz mentions, to me it's bloody boring gameplay, but he clearly was doing something most of us can't replicate.

Proudly sponsored by WG

HoPeY_ #13 Posted 23 November 2018 - 09:13 AM

Major

• 99981 battles
  • [SABRE] SABRE
Scruffytrap on comparison looks similar to me. But god knows who has more pre nerf games etc. Games updating so can't look too closely into it.

Ezz #14 Posted 23 November 2018 - 09:32 AM

• Beta-Tester
  • 67772 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View Post_HoPeY_, on 23 November 2018 - 11:13 AM, said:

Scruffytrap on comparison looks similar to me. But god knows who has more pre nerf games etc. Games updating so can't look too closely into it.

Which 'nerf'? The general one or the one that changed them to stun? IMO the stun change wasn't really a nerf at all.

Edited by Ezz, 23 November 2018 - 09:48 AM.

HoPeY_ #15 Posted 23 November 2018 - 09:49 AM

Major

• 99981 battles
  • [SABRE] SABRE
Yeah I'm unsure how it affected results ie Average damage and Exp per game. But in the days of one shooting something maybe WR was up?

MagicalFlyingFox #16 Posted 23 November 2018 - 10:00 AM

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW

• Beta-Tester
  • 32203 battles
  • [YETI] YETI

It seems to be mainly how many shots you end up connecting, your awareness in shifting positions to get shots and what you are shooting at. 

Its hard to identify what exactly you need to do though because I personally just click shit and dont think too much.

http://www.theuselessweb.com/

A. Guy on 02 June 2018 - 12:40 AM, said:

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW... says it all about you.

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #17 Posted 23 November 2018 - 10:12 AM

Blue Mountain Aoyama

• Beta-Tester
  • 74329 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY

The difference between 53% and 55% is 2 battles out of 100

95% of battles probably wouldn't matter if your SPG existed or not

Is how people play the remaining 5%

And since arty depends on teams, the best battles are gotten when teams are good = would have won anyway

Is the bad team battles that we have to find and that nobody posts.

Focusing good players seems to help with getting higher wr.

Edited by Aoyama_Blue_Mountain, 23 November 2018 - 10:13 AM.

Noobs don't snipe because they are good at snipe; noobs snipe because they can't do anything else / People don't lose because they lemming; people lemming because they are losers

Do not confuse team strength with individual strength; a single enemy killed in a 1v3 is worth more than two enemies killed in a 4v2 / Lanchester's Square Law predicts in a 2v1, the side with 2 will end with 1.5 tanks remaining, so if you won with less than that remaining, you're actually noob, not pro

When you are not losing because you outnumber the enemy, your other flank is losing because they are outnumbered; it's just math

Law of mirror: When you are holding a 1v6 against the enemy, you own team is also getting 6v1 held by the enemy

Noob self-balancing theory: When you release a good tank, enough noobs will flood to play it, until the server stats become average again

Ezz #18 Posted 23 November 2018 - 10:18 AM

• Beta-Tester
  • 67772 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostAoyama_Blue_Mountain, on 23 November 2018 - 12:12 PM, said:

95% of battles probably wouldn't matter if your SPG existed or not

While definitely less influence than a normal tank, based on observed WR in arty i'd say the spread is somewhere between 10 - 15% as compared to closer to 20% for normal MM tanks and greater for high influence tanks (9s, pref 8s and 10s).

mttspiii #19 Posted 23 November 2018 - 10:21 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 31393 battles
  • [CALM] CALM

View PostAoyama_Blue_Mountain, on 23 November 2018 - 10:12 AM, said:

Focusing good players seems to help with getting higher wrg higher wr.

This though. Most damage in battles is dealt by 2 or 3 players, with the 12 others as meatshields. Suppress those 2 players and you might turn the tide.

Downside though is that the damage is usually dealt by camo-ey vehicles so you can't see them except for a brief period of time they take risks.

I'm fierce and I'm feeling mighty,

I'm a golden girl, I'm an Aphrodite

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #20 Posted 23 November 2018 - 10:41 AM

Blue Mountain Aoyama

• Beta-Tester
  • 74329 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY

View PostEzz, on 23 November 2018 - 10:18 AM, said:

While definitely less influence than a normal tank, based on observed WR in arty i'd say the spread is somewhere between 10 - 15% as compared to closer to 20% for normal MM tanks and greater for high influence tanks (9s, pref 8s and 10s).

Is the spread centered around 50% tho? Or is the center dependant on the player?

View Postmttspiii, on 23 November 2018 - 10:21 AM, said:

This though. Most damage in battles is dealt by 2 or 3 players, with the 12 others as meatshields. Suppress those 2 players and you might turn the tide.

Downside though is that the damage is usually dealt by camo-ey vehicles so you can't see them except for a brief period of time they take risks.

Not all good players are statpadders...

And for the statpadders, just shoot their scout

Unfortunately both identifying statpadders and identifying good players in general require XVM installed and I'm not risking anything that uploads battle data in real time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users