How to be Very Good in SPG's?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Ezz #21 Posted 23 November 2018 - 11:01 AM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 67774 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostAoyama_Blue_Mountain, on 23 November 2018 - 12:41 PM, said:

Is the spread centered around 50% tho? Or is the center dependant on the player?

Not all good players are statpadders...

And for the statpadders, just shoot their scout

Unfortunately both identifying statpadders and identifying good players in general require XVM installed and I'm not risking anything that uploads battle data in real time.

Spread centered on the server mean with a slight skew such that the mode is below 49%.

As for the XVM focus discussion i suspect one oft overlooked aspect is that good players (not the red liners) tend to be the most lit, hence the most obvious targets. May as well repeat the anecdote of a salty good who accused me of xvm focus when plain and simple he was the easist and most lit target. Oh and i didn't even have XVM running in the first place...

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

mttspiii #22 Posted 23 November 2018 - 11:24 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 31406 battles
  • [CALM] CALM

View PostAoyama_Blue_Mountain, on 23 November 2018 - 10:41 AM, said:

Not all good players are statpadders...

And for the statpadders, just shoot their scout

Unfortunately both identifying statpadders and identifying good players in general require XVM installed and I'm not risking anything that uploads battle data in real time.

Not statpadders. I've seen reds carry battles because they're in a ISU or WZ-FT in an obvious bush. Bombing them even if they're unspotted either damages them, or suppresses / permasstuns them. This lets your flank creep forward.

I'm fierce and I'm feeling mighty,

I'm a golden girl, I'm an Aphrodite

ZULUL_Warrior #23 Posted 23 November 2018 - 11:59 AM

Captain

• 58486 battles
  • [YETI] YETI

i play my spgs mostly solo and my recent spgs m53, lorr 155 50/51 has wr above 50% 

and yes its hard to actually carry in spg, even though they are annoying to face. If your team wants to crumble it will crumble.

How to actually be good? Just play more spg. The reason why my recents are dropping is because of spg.

And actually playing spg widened my knowledge of where and what i could be hit or not hit.

Side note: battle assistant is broken. as shown here http://wotreplays.eu...aine_155_mle_51

Edited by crazib, 23 November 2018 - 12:02 PM.

Come visit my stream: twitch.tv/crazib

my replays thread

Zynth #24 Posted 23 November 2018 - 12:45 PM

Aufklärungspanzer Panther

• 25722 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

Most of it is positioning. Sometimes you need to use your WASD hacks to get into a position with good line of fire on certain areas. Most important for fast SPGs like the French and M53/55. If possible you can push up alongside your team if you win a flank to get side shots on the other flank.

Another one is being aware of the minimap, specifically aware of your own team. You need to pay attention to where your team is moving and where to pre-aim in case they spot something. If your team gets shot at without being spotted you might even be able to extrapolate and blindfire. On that note, when you have nothing to do, blindfire.

A small tip I learned for artillery with narrow horizontal arc, you can hold down the right mouse button and lightly tap A or D to make minor corrections to your aim without blooming too much.

RIP Aufklärungspanzer Panther 16th July 2015. You will be missed, friend.

But not for long. For "Heroes never die."

This account is proudly sponsored by Wargaming.

Mother_Of_All_Rommel #25 Posted 24 November 2018 - 04:18 PM

Ambassador of silly strat

• 21248 battles
When you moving out for new postition, stop when your reload got 8 sec left and start aiming. By the time you shot ready, youre also fully aimed. Shot and move after that, dont wait for red to get into your aim, you get it yourself. Just make sure you fire aroud 4-5sec after finish reload, if you had to waste 30 sec waiting for good target too shot, you in wrong place. Gud luck and happy clicking :great:

1940- In 2018, we will have flying cars.

2018- Tonk=lyfe, proven by scientist

ZULUL_Warrior #26 Posted 24 November 2018 - 04:53 PM

Captain

• 58486 battles
  • [YETI] YETI

View PostMother_Of_All_Rommel, on 24 November 2018 - 04:18 PM, said:

When you moving out for new postition, stop when your reload got 8 sec left and start aiming. By the time you shot ready, youre also fully aimed. Shot and move after that, dont wait for red to get into your aim, you get it yourself. Just make sure you fire aroud 4-5sec after finish reload, if you had to waste 30 sec waiting for good target too shot, you in wrong place. Gud luck and happy clicking :great:

nah i would say 8secs is too short, give yourself 15 secs. This is also important when you are playing narrow arc spg and during that 15secs if you need to change targets, you can give yourself allowance.

my replays thread

Saffelicious #27 Posted 24 November 2018 - 04:54 PM

Master flipper !

• Live Streamer
  • 37403 battles
  • [YETI] YETI

I honestly have no idea, I just apply the same theory in arty as I do to normal tanks.

Look at key position on the maps,

Decide if I think my team will win or lose, and then I just make a judgement call if I want to help the snowball effect on the winning side, or try to slow down the losing side.

aim and everything is rather irrelevant, not like you can [edited] up SPG aim to much.

Tank selection is really about which tank do I think will cause the most issues for my team. 

So really its just big picture things. 

my t92 is 56.92 and that was before the changes to arty.

my cgc is at 59.4 or something and thats between both patches. 

Most of them are solos, T92 I think is almost 100% solo. 

Did some tripple CGC platoons with the boys and also some LT with bailez when I attempted to 3 mark it.

So they would even out the winrate I reckon

Pubbie 1
"You guys run around in t10 tanks with, prem consumables, prem rounds, prem crews and even prem modules and that is not fair on the newbies in t8, how do you expect the server to survive if this is what they get from your clan. Some of us want this server to survive."
Pubbie 2
"What's pathetic and un Australian is you and the other [edited] complaining about those here behind their backs on the other forum. What's pathetic is thinking you are better than others on forums and in the game and big noting yourself when blind Feddy can see your sudden improvement on purchasing vpack"

Mother_Of_All_Rommel #28 Posted 25 November 2018 - 01:48 PM

Ambassador of silly strat

• 21248 battles

View Postcrazib, on 24 November 2018 - 04:53 PM, said:

nah i would say 8secs is too short, give yourself 15 secs. This is also important when you are playing narrow arc spg and during that 15secs if you need to change targets, you can give yourself allowance.

Giv 15sec and my SU-14/212 will only relocate 1 grid away :D. But yeah, ill try that.

1940- In 2018, we will have flying cars.

2018- Tonk=lyfe, proven by scientist

Zynth #29 Posted 25 November 2018 - 01:59 PM

• 25722 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostIrrelevant_Saffe, on 24 November 2018 - 04:54 PM, said:

Tank selection is really about which tank do I think will cause the most issues for my team.

Tank selection is about who I want to ruin the game for. Usually pick Defenders or Obj 268 v4s.

Ezz #30 Posted 25 November 2018 - 02:29 PM

• Beta-Tester
  • 67774 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostZynth, on 25 November 2018 - 03:59 PM, said:

Tank selection is about who I want to ruin the game for. Usually pick Defenders or Obj 268 v4s.

So like XVM focus except broken balance focus.

Speaking of focus, rather disappointingly targeting any and every cartoon tank in my T92 did not actually lead to a positive win rate. Yet somehow i never went blue while in it.

Edited by Ezz, 25 November 2018 - 02:30 PM.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

HoPeY_ #31 Posted 25 November 2018 - 04:30 PM

Major

• 100010 battles
  • [SABRE] SABRE
Saffee the only one here a jump above me in SPG's I think. I reacon it may be that I focus a bit too much and sometimes lose the big picture and good opportunities.

Zynth #32 Posted 25 November 2018 - 04:50 PM

• 25722 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View Post_HoPeY_, on 25 November 2018 - 04:30 PM, said:

Saffee the only one here a jump above me in SPG's I think. I reacon it may be that I focus a bit too much and sometimes lose the big picture and good opportunities.

That tends to happen a lot to me since I usually alt-tab out or play phone games in between reloads.

Ezz #33 Posted 25 November 2018 - 06:14 PM

• Beta-Tester
  • 67774 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View Post_HoPeY_, on 25 November 2018 - 06:30 PM, said:

The interesting thing about arty is that while it's absurdly easy for a lot of players to be mediocre, to get to that step up takes a certain amount of awareness. Maybe put up some replays and we can have a look at where you're looking.

Saffelicious #34 Posted 25 November 2018 - 09:12 PM

Master flipper !

• Live Streamer
  • 37403 battles
  • [YETI] YETI

View PostZynth, on 25 November 2018 - 04:59 PM, said:

thats one way to do it :) 

and not a bad way :P

View Post_HoPeY_, on 25 November 2018 - 07:30 PM, said:

Yeah, I don't really know, half the stuff I do is just automatic now a days so pretty hard to pin point.

but I tend to purely look at the "two" main engagements that happens on each map between each shot, and decide which one do I need to annoy more. 

unless a scorpion or something I know I can pen gets lit, then no fucks given about anything else and full damage shot away! 

Pubbie 1
"You guys run around in t10 tanks with, prem consumables, prem rounds, prem crews and even prem modules and that is not fair on the newbies in t8, how do you expect the server to survive if this is what they get from your clan. Some of us want this server to survive."
Pubbie 2
"What's pathetic and un Australian is you and the other [edited] complaining about those here behind their backs on the other forum. What's pathetic is thinking you are better than others on forums and in the game and big noting yourself when blind Feddy can see your sudden improvement on purchasing vpack"

Ezz #35 Posted 25 November 2018 - 09:54 PM

• Beta-Tester
  • 67774 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
I think at the core you just need to practice. As mentioned, to get to the 'good player' level you need a good understanding of the rest of the game in addition to basic leading.

MagicalFlyingFox #36 Posted 25 November 2018 - 11:30 PM

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW

• Beta-Tester
  • 32224 battles
  • [YETI] YETI
Defenders' seem to have a hard time when they are on the enemy team. Its rather amusing.

http://www.theuselessweb.com/

A. Guy on 02 June 2018 - 12:40 AM, said:

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW... says it all about you.

ZULUL_Warrior #37 Posted 25 November 2018 - 11:32 PM

Captain

• 58486 battles
  • [YETI] YETI
and its good to play other tank classes so you have a good perspective of what tanks will be positioned at common positions. And i use that to my advantage so i can blind fire certain LT bushes that i know during my 1st minute of the game, or blindfiring common td positions i.e steppes line 8 TD spots

my replays thread

MagicalFlyingFox #38 Posted 25 November 2018 - 11:33 PM

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW

• Beta-Tester
  • 32224 battles
  • [YETI] YETI
Its amusing to find a light tank on the enemy team get lit for the first time left on 500 hp. 

http://www.theuselessweb.com/

A. Guy on 02 June 2018 - 12:40 AM, said:

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW... says it all about you.

HoPeY_ #39 Posted 26 November 2018 - 09:30 AM

Major

• 100010 battles
  • [SABRE] SABRE

A fairly average game.

https://wot-record.c...46/hopey_gwe100

Funny ending.

https://wot-record.c...hopey_funny_end

Edited by _HoPeY_, 26 November 2018 - 09:31 AM.

Ezz #40 Posted 26 November 2018 - 10:21 AM

• Beta-Tester
  • 67774 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

Ok, from the steppes battle, a few things.

I'd suggest having a different mouse sensitivity when you use arty. It allows much quicker scanning and getting the mouse on target. Plus realistically you don't really need much precision with arty.

Second you seem to purely use battle assistant in that one. It's useful to switch in between to check shots are centered where you want them. Also i find scanning for targets easier in over head view. It can take a bit of time getting used to switching.

Third your general target priority wasn't that great. You seemed to choose a target early in your reload, then fixate. Eg i think once you prioritised a progetto and so missed a shot on the grille and also only took one at that bat chat. Further you seemed to be aiming at tier 8s when quite a few times there were higher tier and hence higher priority targets available. I think once you aimed for an iffy shot vs the is3 rather than the 705. If there are kill shots available, just like with a normal tank, look for those - eg the light tank that was splashable and barely moving which would have balanced him. Basically have a look at their line up, where they are on the map and try to work out which of them is most likely to win the battle for them, then balance the shit out of them. And if there is a point on the map where a key battle is going to happen, make sure you can get shots into it.

A smaller thing but when you are reloaded and you spot danger, you have to assess pretty quick if you can get a shot off, even a hail mary at a blind target, and if so take it prior to relocating. You lost about a full reloads worth there and extra shots are extra opportunities to balance campers.

And side question that i'm never sure on when watching replays, but the map was really small, not sure if that's how small you have it or just what replays default to. Hence may or may not be applicable, but make that map BIG!

The other replay i get an error on so can't really help you on that one.

Edited by Ezz, 26 November 2018 - 10:33 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users