How to be Very Good in SPG's?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Saffelicious #41 Posted 26 November 2018 - 11:09 AM

Master flipper !

• Live Streamer
  • 37403 battles
  • [YETI] YETI

I only watched up until 11 minutes and kind of skimmed through it. 

But I think what I said earlier sums it up in regards to who are you actually clicking on. 

In the steppes game, you did not really help your team push forward, and you did not really try to delay the other flank, you were kind of in between.

Without breaking the game down to much I would just say this.

Could you have helped the winning flank move forward quicker? yeah you could,

what tanks looks like it was holding your team back from pushing, once identified, put pressure on them.

Could you have delayed the other flank, doubtful, but you could have made them hesitate a little bit about being that aggressive. 

This just helps with not losing to much map control.

Also, I never use the arty mod as I find it very misleading plus I pretty much know all the terrains inside out so I know if I have to aim behind of in front of the tank and so on.

Only time I use that assistant is when I go for meme shots between buildings like the clip below.

https://clips.twitch...oisedLarkTTours

And like ezz said, increase your minimap, it will help with awareness. 

Edited by Irrelevant_Saffe, 26 November 2018 - 11:12 AM.

Pubbie 1
"You guys run around in t10 tanks with, prem consumables, prem rounds, prem crews and even prem modules and that is not fair on the newbies in t8, how do you expect the server to survive if this is what they get from your clan. Some of us want this server to survive."
Pubbie 2
"What's pathetic and un Australian is you and the other [edited] complaining about those here behind their backs on the other forum. What's pathetic is thinking you are better than others on forums and in the game and big noting yourself when blind Feddy can see your sudden improvement on purchasing vpack"

HoPeY_ #42 Posted 26 November 2018 - 11:09 AM

Major

• 100010 battles
  • [SABRE] SABRE
Was a bit of an ordinary game for me but just thought i'd put it up for reference. Thanks for the review. Map is full. I'll try for what I think is a good game for me and put that up.

neokai #43 Posted 26 November 2018 - 11:24 AM

hunts pixels from red line

• Senior Moderator
  • 41355 battles

View Post_HoPeY_, on 23 November 2018 - 09:13 AM, said:

Scruffytrap on comparison looks similar to me. But god knows who has more pre nerf games etc. Games updating so can't look too closely into it.

You can watch my youtube channel for spg games - saved all the ace games and a few interesting spg games pre- and post-stun patch. Just search for the appropriate spg to see its ace game. If you have questions I can try answering them, but honestly spg play mostly boils down to target selection (i.e. map awareness) and knowing how to lead targets.

View PostEzz, on 26 November 2018 - 10:21 AM, said:

And side question that i'm never sure on when watching replays, but the map was really small, not sure if that's how small you have it or just what replays default to. Hence may or may not be applicable, but make that map BIG!

Interface settings are customized by account, i.e. if you are viewing a replay from someone else it will use default settings like the smallest minimap size, but if you view your replays it will use the custom settings that you tweaked during gameplay.

Spoiler

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #44 Posted 26 November 2018 - 11:42 AM

Blue Mountain Aoyama

• Beta-Tester
  • 74390 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY

Wonder if there is any SPG streamer

Want to see how they counter arty

Noobs don't snipe because they are good at snipe; noobs snipe because they can't do anything else / People don't lose because they lemming; people lemming because they are losers

Do not confuse team strength with individual strength; a single enemy killed in a 1v3 is worth more than two enemies killed in a 4v2 / Lanchester's Square Law predicts in a 2v1, the side with 2 will end with 1.5 tanks remaining, so if you won with less than that remaining, you're actually noob, not pro

When you are not losing because you outnumber the enemy, your other flank is losing because they are outnumbered; it's just math

Law of mirror: When you are holding a 1v6 against the enemy, you own team is also getting 6v1 held by the enemy

Noob self-balancing theory: When you release a good tank, enough noobs will flood to play it, until the server stats become average again

HoPeY_ #45 Posted 26 November 2018 - 11:44 AM

Major

• 100010 battles
  • [SABRE] SABRE

View PostAoyama_Blue_Mountain, on 26 November 2018 - 11:42 AM, said:

Experience. Most go to certain spots, look for broken objects, movement, then smoke trails from the SPG. If nothing else to shoot I just target known spots.

MagicalFlyingFox #46 Posted 26 November 2018 - 11:49 AM

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW

• Beta-Tester
  • 32224 battles
  • [YETI] YETI

View PostAoyama_Blue_Mountain, on 26 November 2018 - 02:42 PM, said:

Aim at usual spots, look at tracer.

Its pretty simple tbh but I'm too lazy to do it when there are Defenders to click

http://www.theuselessweb.com/

A. Guy on 02 June 2018 - 12:40 AM, said:

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW... says it all about you.

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #47 Posted 26 November 2018 - 12:36 PM

Blue Mountain Aoyama

• Beta-Tester
  • 74390 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY

I mean how they look at tracer

I mean the tracer fly and disappear very fast and often don't even start at where the SPG is, so there must be some technique for searching and identifying the shooter location.

Often I am looking at the screen. The tracer appear. I still can only roughly guess where. Yet the dedicated CB-ers seem to know the exact point every time. Even when usually I don't stay in bush nowadays to counter bush shooting but it never seem to work.

Edited by Aoyama_Blue_Mountain, 26 November 2018 - 12:45 PM.

Noobs don't snipe because they are good at snipe; noobs snipe because they can't do anything else / People don't lose because they lemming; people lemming because they are losers

Do not confuse team strength with individual strength; a single enemy killed in a 1v3 is worth more than two enemies killed in a 4v2 / Lanchester's Square Law predicts in a 2v1, the side with 2 will end with 1.5 tanks remaining, so if you won with less than that remaining, you're actually noob, not pro

When you are not losing because you outnumber the enemy, your other flank is losing because they are outnumbered; it's just math

Law of mirror: When you are holding a 1v6 against the enemy, you own team is also getting 6v1 held by the enemy

Noob self-balancing theory: When you release a good tank, enough noobs will flood to play it, until the server stats become average again

Zynth #48 Posted 26 November 2018 - 12:46 PM

Aufklärungspanzer Panther

• 25722 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostAoyama_Blue_Mountain, on 26 November 2018 - 12:36 PM, said:

I mean how they look at tracer

I mean the tracer fly and disappear very fast and often don't even start at where the SPG is, so there must be some technique for searching and identifying the shooter location.

Often I am looking at the screen. The tracer appear. I still can only roughly guess where. Yet the dedicated CB-ers seem to know the exact point every time.

Some locations you can tell via broken fences or fallen trees to get the general location of where they are. After that it's just paying attention. Pressing "V" to turn off the HUD can sometimes help you by giving you a clearer view.

Usually I don't counter battery, don't find it worth it to spend my time trying to hit something I can't see and may be moving after every shot.

RIP Aufklärungspanzer Panther 16th July 2015. You will be missed, friend.

But not for long. For "Heroes never die."

This account is proudly sponsored by Wargaming.

Saffelicious #49 Posted 26 November 2018 - 01:03 PM

Master flipper !

• Live Streamer
  • 37403 battles
  • [YETI] YETI

I tend to just lock in my crosshair after firing on certain maps, 

then swipe down to known arty locations and look for 20 seconds, then swipe back to main engagement if I dont spot any tracers.

Not like I got anything else to do assuming its a bit of a stale mate and I dont have to track any other engagements on the map

Pubbie 1
"You guys run around in t10 tanks with, prem consumables, prem rounds, prem crews and even prem modules and that is not fair on the newbies in t8, how do you expect the server to survive if this is what they get from your clan. Some of us want this server to survive."
Pubbie 2
"What's pathetic and un Australian is you and the other [edited] complaining about those here behind their backs on the other forum. What's pathetic is thinking you are better than others on forums and in the game and big noting yourself when blind Feddy can see your sudden improvement on purchasing vpack"

kickim #50 Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:03 PM

First lieutenant

• 51802 battles
  • [CALM] CALM

interesting discussion, learning some extra stuff here fm the masters.

Quick question:

When you are leading a slow moving target but it disappears like 1-2 secs before aiming circle is fully aimed, do you shoot immediately before fully aimed or wait for fully aimed at the further 'expected' spot? or forgo the target and find another one? wait for it to reappear?

For M53/55, I just shoot for the splash since reload is not too bad.

Puggsley #51 Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:22 AM

Captain

• 67645 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

^^

Depends

If(they are the only lit target, if(if they are near hard cover, shoot now, if(driving very predictably, let fully aim, shoot now), shoot at best target).

Best target is either multiple tanks, tanks which my allies can shoot while stunned, very aggressive players damaging my allies.

FramFramson #52 Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:41 AM

Major

• 43379 battles
  • [AVAST] AVAST

Really late to this topic, but I've played with a couple very good SPG players a few times and hearing them talk as they played it seemed they had a really good predictive sense, that based on a small look at a player they were good at reading that person's motions. It's the sort of instinct that makes for a good fighter pilot, if maybe that helps explain? They just had that really good sense of rhythm and reading it. 

Now while that's difficult for most of us to replicate, the other part is something we can all do: Hammering away at crucial targets, players who are carrying the enemy team or holding your team back. Too often arty can rack up damage and kills by clowning on low tiers but losing the game by letting the top players roam free. If you want wins you got to identify those key players. But I think Saffee and Neo were already talking about that ITT.

LT-playing masochist. It's too much fun to be a mosquito.

DEADMEAT82 #53 Posted 06 May 2019 - 01:48 PM

Corporal

• Beta-Tester
  • 33931 battles
  • [LUCK] LUCK
This is certainly the part i hate XVM the most. Getting zone in by SPGs even where are more juicy targets around. Doesnt help when you are a glaring purple. XVM just makes it hard for good players to camouflage themselves Within the sheep herd.

blades29 #54 Posted 10 May 2019 - 01:24 PM

Sergeant

• 32030 battles
  • [ETC] ETC
knowing where to aim is important for SPG. I was trying to do a tough mission to get 1,500 dmg within first 3 mins of battle using HTs. Got it once in SPG because first few shots all hit enemies at the usual places they normally start off a game. Often SPG can get first hit when pre-aimed at locations where LTs, HTs, even TDs and SPGs usually go to.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users