• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

_argost_ #1 Posted 23 December 2018 - 03:55 PM

Private

• 0 battles

Soooo

I am starting World Of Tanks

And I want suggestions:

1. What Tank Line(s) to grind? (I only play 4hours a week)?

2. Tips?

Your response Is Highly Appreciated 

Wodka_Warrior #2 Posted 23 December 2018 - 04:05 PM

Potato Juice Connoisseur

• 17994 battles

Hi there congrats on finding the forums.

Russian meds.

Russian heavies.

Don't play arty. 

Have fun & good luck. 

_A_M_G_ #3 Posted 23 December 2018 - 04:18 PM

First lieutenant

• 17844 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

USA Meds to tier 10 are good to start with as are US heavies to tier 7.

--- 3MoE: M4, T37, T21, T20, WZ-131, Type 62, M46 KR, Pershing, T26E4 Scrub. :-(

PBKAC - Proudly sponsored by WG since 2013

Ezz #4 Posted 23 December 2018 - 07:33 PM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 65657 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

General tip - try to get a good feel for the game at around tier 5 or 6. Firstly you'll be making credits even on a standard account, plus the general play level is more forgiving. Don't be tempted to rush into the upper tiers. And be very patient. The game has a long learning curve that can take thousands of battles to get the hang of. Don't get frustrated if you can't jump in COD style and pew pew your way to victory. And read the wiki on mechanics. There is a lot to learn so good luck and welcome to the forums.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

Bert_Olio #5 Posted 23 December 2018 - 08:54 PM

Corporal

• 4875 battles
Getting head around vision mechanics is the key, even heavies need to know who they can and can't see, and who can see them. Make sure you have all the circles including "Draw Range" turned on in your settings and enlarge the mini-map as far as possible.

And train your crews to at least one skill each before moving up too many tiers.

I turned my play around from full-time-Muppet to occasionally-not-a-total-Muppet by watching YouTube, mainly Four Tankers and a Dog, Quicky Baby and Claus Kellerman.  

_argost_ #6 Posted 23 December 2018 - 08:54 PM

Private

• 0 battles

Also additional questions:

3. Is The Swedish Heavies/TDs Noob friendly (IT LOOKS SOOOO TEMPTING TO PLAY)?

4. What/How many Tank lines to grind ( I prefer vehicles with Decent Speed, have decent armor and huge alpha damage)?

Thank you for your replys

Happy Hunting!

Edited by _argost_, 23 December 2018 - 08:55 PM.

Twit_ #7 Posted 23 December 2018 - 11:09 PM

Corporal

• 12790 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY

View Post_argost_, on 23 December 2018 - 03:55 PM, said:

Soooo

I am starting World Of Tanks

And I want suggestions:

1. What Tank Line(s) to grind? (I only play 4hours a week)?

2. Tips?

Your response Is Highly Appreciated 

The answer can be pretty complicated depending on your playstyle. 

If you are brand new to the game, most players are drawn to the M48 Patton, Leo 1, IS-7, Maus and the Type 5, as they are featured in some of the advertising and posters of the game. For me when I started the Sherman M4 was one of the most identifiable tanks to me, as I had seen it before IRL and in movies many times; that led me to eventually grind out the M48 Patton.

If you were to look at the tech tree, it can be quite daunting simply due to the vast amount of tanks there are and the excessive amounts of grinding that would be required to unlock the Tier X tank. So, for me, I would pick a line that I can enjoy throughout grinding. This means having a line that has the most amount of enjoyable and competitive tanks to get, these spring to my head:

• The M48 Patton (M2 Medium, M4, Sherman Jumbo/Easy 8, T20, M46 Patton)
  •  Strv 103B (Ikv 72, Sav m/43, Ikv 103 Ikv 65 II, UDES 03, Strv 103-0, Strv 103B)
  •  Centurion AX (Covenanter, Cromwell, Comet, Centurion I, Centurion 7/1)
  • Obj. 268 V4 (SU-85B, SU-85, SU-100, SU-100M1, SU-101, Obj. 263)
  • Obj. 277 (T-28, KV-1, KV-85, IS, IS-3, T-10)

As for any tips for a new player, I would say to watch what others do, and learn from their mistakes and successes. To be a an ok player, you need to cause damage - which can be done through positioning and skill. To be a good player, you need to combine your ability to cause dmg in the same capacity as having awareness of your surroundings, and using knowledge gained from that awareness to win games. "Should I push this flank, is it worth falling back, how is my team performing?" are all questions you should be gradually asking yourself as the game goes on. 

For the most part having awareness is only necessary in high tier (tier VII+) gameplay. For lower tier gameplay which is what you are likely to be playing with, just focus on helping the team by causing damage and positioning yourself in line with the rest of the team.

One final tip is I would recommend watching good players on YouTube perform. Players like Taugrim, 4TankersAndDog, and TRUvoodoo are good outlets to watch and learn.

Hope this helps :)

Want to learn about World of Tanks and how to play it? Click the below link to find out more:  

http://forum.worldoftanks.asia/index.php?/topic/82500-a-general-guide-to-playing-world-of-tanks/ 

Twit_ #8 Posted 23 December 2018 - 11:32 PM

Corporal

• 12790 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY

View Post_argost_, on 23 December 2018 - 08:54 PM, said:

Also additional questions:

3. Is The Swedish Heavies/TDs Noob friendly (IT LOOKS SOOOO TEMPTING TO PLAY)?

4. What/How many Tank lines to grind ( I prefer vehicles with Decent Speed, have decent armor and huge alpha damage)?

Thank you for your replys

Happy Hunting!

3. Sorta, and Yes. The Kranvagn line is one of the more compelling of the autoloading heavy tanks, due to its impressive turret armour and high dmg output. Personally I would recommend getting the Strv 103B over the Kranvagn simply because it has decent armour but can stay hidden away while firing. To do well in the Kranvagn you have to play aggressive and that can lead to mistakes being made if you are not used to the tank.

4. If you were looking for speedy tanks, armour and high alpha here is a list of a couple...
  • Obj. 277 (Heavy tank) 55kmph | 490 alpha damage | ~420mm effective turret armour
  • Obj. 268 V4 (tank destroyer) 50kmph | 650 alpha dmg | Strong superstructure armour and lower plate
  • Obj. 430U (medium tank) 50kmph | 390 alpha dmg | strong upper hull and turret armour
  • WZ 111 5A (heavy tank) 50kmph | 490 alpha dmg | ~450mm effective turret armour
  • UK/USA mediums

Want to learn about World of Tanks and how to play it? Click the below link to find out more:  

http://forum.worldoftanks.asia/index.php?/topic/82500-a-general-guide-to-playing-world-of-tanks/ 

_argost_ #9 Posted 24 December 2018 - 10:55 AM

Private

• 0 battles

View PostThe_Twit, on 23 December 2018 - 11:32 PM, said:

3. Sorta, and Yes. The Kranvagn line is one of the more compelling of the autoloading heavy tanks, due to its impressive turret armour and high dmg output. Personally I would recommend getting the Strv 103B over the Kranvagn simply because it has decent armour but can stay hidden away while firing. To do well in the Kranvagn you have to play aggressive and that can lead to mistakes being made if you are not used to the tank.

4. If you were looking for speedy tanks, armour and high alpha here is a list of a couple...
  • Obj. 277 (Heavy tank) 55kmph | 490 alpha damage | ~420mm effective turret armour
  • Obj. 268 V4 (tank destroyer) 50kmph | 650 alpha dmg | Strong superstructure armour and lower plate
  • Obj. 430U (medium tank) 50kmph | 390 alpha dmg | strong upper hull and turret armour
  • WZ 111 5A (heavy tank) 50kmph | 490 alpha dmg | ~450mm effective turret armour
  • UK/USA mediums

Is the WZ 111 5A (damn these names are a handful) noob friendly?

What tank line should I grind First?

Thx for the reply!

Edited by _argost_, 24 December 2018 - 10:56 AM.

Twit_ #10 Posted 24 December 2018 - 11:16 AM

Corporal

• 12790 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY

View Post_argost_, on 24 December 2018 - 10:55 AM, said:

Is the WZ 111 5A (damn tgese names are a handful) noob friendly

What tank line should I grind First?

Not really. To grind the tank line you would need to play:
  • Type 58 - a worse version of the T34-85 with no gun depression
  • IS-2 - an arguably worse version of the IS, with little gun dep, worse armour, worse gun handling, and a terrible engine
  • 110 - arguably worse than the IS-3, due to the low alpha gun, iffy armour angling that only works when you face front-on, and a hideous lower plate that anyone can shoot

As for the 5A itself, it rewards aggressive play. For most new players that may find themselves sitting back a bit, this tank is honestly wasted with that playstyle.

Personally I went with the M48 Patton as my first tier X, and I think it is one of the most well-rounded tanks in the game - a jack of all trades! And it has fairly decent line to grind.
Other tanks that I would recommend you grind would be the Strv 103B, the 430U, Type 5 Heavy and one tank that you can play for fun, a Sheridan perhaps?

One more thing, don't worry about things like win rate statistics and all that jazz for the first couple of thousand games you play, most people are still learning how to play Tanks with 15 thousand games in! Just focus on having fun and learning about how to play from other people. Ignore [edited]that call you a tomato and move on, there are always toxic people in any game. Enjoy :izmena:

Dieselnuts #11 Posted 24 December 2018 - 04:26 PM

Sergeant

• 12314 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY

Good suggestions so far. I would suggest grinding to the Cromwell at tier 6.

Do not be afraid to lose HP if its for a reason. Do not throw them away, but its fine to take a hit for many reasons, e.g to secure a kill, or to reposition. You need to regularly look at your team mates hit points. If you are at the back on full HP whilst your team mates are on the front lines with no HP, you need to move and help them. This is a team game. You can't take your HP with you to the next game. If the game is ending, and your team is losing, and you are still on full HP, you have played badly. Even as a no armour tank destroyer.

Proloser_The_Atomistic #12 Posted 24 December 2018 - 08:27 PM

No hOpE left.

• 26864 battles
  • [MYTH] MYTH
Go for the IS-7, one of the easiest tier 10 tanks to play and the grind is also easy. Once you get better I highly recommend the WZ-111 5A (my personal favourite tank in the game) but it's harder to play than the IS-7 as it has a lot less armour and a weaker turret. It makes up for this with a very fast reload & flexibility but it's not something you will be able to use to its full potential until you have a lot more experience. 

My Replay Thread | YouTube | Want Your Replay Reviewed?

"...if that battle had KAC players there would be some of the worst gameplay the server has seen. I'd be yoloing, Ezz would be ramming, Robin would tk siggy, everyone else would likely afk at base as we'd struggle to get more than 5 on at one time. Shit did I just let out our master tier 4 strat?" - King Yolo, PBKAC

FramFramson #13 Posted 25 December 2018 - 04:14 AM

Major

• 42010 battles
  • [AVAST] AVAST

The main Russian HT line leading to the IS7 is very noob-friendly and (I suspect) is deliberately designed to be so by WG. The Russian bias in this game is very real. Most Russian mediums, heavies, and even TDs are solid choices.

Don't go for the Swedish HTs, as they have disastrous gun handling which can be incredibly frustrating to play and their weak hulls and low HP for a heavy mean mistakes are punished very swiftly and severely. The Swedish TDs aren't exactly noob-friendly either, but aren't TOO harsh and they excel at hidden sniping, which is a good skill to learn (but also learn when NOT to do that... i.e. in tanks which are NOT snipers). If you're really tempted by the Swedes, go for the TDs.

If you wish to play an autoloader (not recommended for new players), I would avoid the French and Swedish and go for the American line, which is much more forgiving (albeit a bit weak these days), which goes through light tanks then mediums, and ends with the T57 Heavy. I would NOT grind this as your first or second line.

LT-playing masochist. It's too much fun to be a mosquito.

_argost_ #14 Posted 25 December 2018 - 08:20 AM

Private

• 0 battles

Can someone just LIST Down what tank lines I will grind? (I don't want to f*ck this up like I did My Blitz account) First? Second? (Five tank lines plz)

And premium tanks?which is best?

Dieselnuts #15 Posted 25 December 2018 - 10:13 AM

Sergeant

• 12314 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY

Its like you asking us which guitar you should buy, you need to play it first to see if you like it. All we can do is recommend. Once you get more battles then you would be able to decide for yourself which lines you like the look of, and which higher tier premiums would be good crew trainers or credit makers for you. Don't be in a rush to get to tier 10 asap. I would just stick to tier 5 and 6, as the higher tier battles cost more credits, and you will stop making a profit. The amount of competent players on the enemy team increases as you go up the tiers, which also makes it harder.

I would recommend the Cromwell to start with. It  has a great gun and great mobility, so its fast enough to get to where it needs to be at different stages of the battle. Because its so fast, if you make a mistake you can run away. If the enemy team rush the other side of the map, you can quickly get there to help defend. Then you will start to get a feel for where you need to be, and when. Once you get the hang of predicting that, you can start to do better in the slower tanks. I would also recommend the KV-2, just to have fun.

As for a premium, I would get the Cromwell B or T-34-85M, both at tier 6. Cromwell comes with a premium crew too.

_argost_ #16 Posted 25 December 2018 - 12:40 PM

Private

• 0 battles

View PostDieselnuts, on 25 December 2018 - 10:13 AM, said:

Its like you asking us which guitar you should buy, you need to play it first to see if you like it. All we can do is recommend. Once you get more battles then you would be able to decide for yourself which lines you like the look of, and which higher tier premiums would be good crew trainers or credit makers for you. Don't be in a rush to get to tier 10 asap. I would just stick to tier 5 and 6, as the higher tier battles cost more credits, and you will stop making a profit. The amount of competent players on the enemy team increases as you go up the tiers, which also makes it harder.

I would recommend the Cromwell to start with. It  has a great gun and great mobility, so its fast enough to get to where it needs to be at different stages of the battle. Because its so fast, if you make a mistake you can run away. If the enemy team rush the other side of the map, you can quickly get there to help defend. Then you will start to get a feel for where you need to be, and when. Once you get the hang of predicting that, you can start to do better in the slower tanks. I would also recommend the KV-2, just to have fun.

As for a premium, I would get the Cromwell B or T-34-85M, both at tier 6. Cromwell comes with a premium crew too.

Ok. Thank you for your recommendations bro. I'm very sorry for repeatedly asking questions. Thank you for your advice.

_argost_ #17 Posted 26 December 2018 - 09:07 PM

Private

• 0 battles

Okay.

This are the last things I'm gonna ask.

(Your opinion Plz)

Is the Italian Tank Line Noob friendly?

'cause after hearing the bad things on the swedish lines the Italian Line seems good to start off with.

Twit_ #18 Posted 27 December 2018 - 08:50 AM

Corporal

• 12790 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY

View Post_argost_, on 26 December 2018 - 09:07 PM, said:

Okay.

(Your opinion Plz)

'cause after hearing the bad things on the swedish lines the Italian Line seems good to start off with.

At the end of the day you have to make your own choices, afaik you have yet to play a battle; the characteristics of the lines usually start to show around tier VIII, which is waaay ahead of you mate. If you don't like one of the lines you grind, it is easy to start another line. As for your question, the Italian and Swedish lines are like most fun things in life - easy to play and hard to master. I would expect you to have no trouble grinding the Swedish TD and Italian lines; it is just finding that ticking moment when you start to understand when to play aggressively with the tanks and understanding your role in the team, that you become a great player in the tanks. 

Don't worry about different opinions others have if you are worried about making mistakes - everyone makes them when they are a noob :great:

_argost_ #19 Posted 27 December 2018 - 07:59 PM

Private

• 0 battles

View PostThe_Twit, on 27 December 2018 - 08:50 AM, said:

At the end of the day you have to make your own choices, afaik you have yet to play a battle; the characteristics of the lines usually start to show around tier VIII, which is waaay ahead of you mate. If you don't like one of the lines you grind, it is easy to start another line. As for your question, the Italian and Swedish lines are like most fun things in life - easy to play and hard to master. I would expect you to have no trouble grinding the Swedish TD and Italian lines; it is just finding that ticking moment when you start to understand when to play aggressively with the tanks and understanding your role in the team, that you become a great player in the tanks. 

Don't worry about different opinions others have if you are worried about making mistakes - everyone makes them when they are a noob :great:

Thanks for your response bro!

ThomChen114 #20 Posted 06 January 2019 - 02:16 AM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 36080 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY

View Post_argost_, on 26 December 2018 - 09:07 PM, said:

Okay.

(Your opinion Plz)

The Italian tanks (before tier 8) are...adequate. Tiers 2-5 aren't too special, almost bland. They're reasonably armored (frontally) within their tiers, have workable guns and ok mobility.

Of note, on the tier 4 P26/40 and tier 5 P43, while using either the Canone 75/34 or 75/46 it's worth carrying a bit more HE shells than usual, since oddly enough it has fairly decent penetration (70) and damage (175) which at those tiers can still wreck some tanks you may run into (light tanks and paper TDs).

The tier 6 P43 bis and tier 7 P43 ter start to get interesting with their 90mm guns. The gun handling may take some getting used to, especially at longer ranges.

Owned Tier 10s: Obj 907, IS-7, Obj 140, M60, M48A5 Patton, STB-1, WZ-111 5A, 113, Centurion Action X, Super Conqueror, Badger

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users