Need Noob Tips

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Horse_the_mountain_goat #21 Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:07 AM

Sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 48824 battles
  • [YETI] YETI

By tier 10 you will be wanting more end game content in the form of advances/ clan wars/ campiagns

100% focus on Soviet Line. IS7 will always be relevant in the game and currently one of the best tanks in pubs and clan wars. The whole line leading up to it is very player friendly. Also would recommend doing the medium line at the same time for the soviets as you can pick up 3x tier 10 meds pretty cheaply xp wise.

The italian tanks post tier7 are very very good pub stompers. Not recommended for clan wars. 

UK heavy line is also good as it teaches you to make use of hull downs and ridgelines effectively 

Feel free to message me ingame for plats, even low tier as I wish someone had shown me a few things when I started playing.

Puggsley #22 Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:07 AM

Captain

• 67645 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

Heaps of others have made recommendations, they are all valid. I'll post some context to help you on your journey. And well done for getting to the forums so early in the WoT career, this will help you more than any tank will!

You have to understand that there is no line in the entire game which is noob friendly. No tank will cover shortfalls in understanding you have as a tank commander. This is why you see top tier tanks getting hardly any damage and losing over and over. Each improvement in any tank as you uptier will face enemy tanks with similar improvements.

You need to understand vision/camo mechanics, armour and penetration mechanics. Yes there are some tank lines which are easier, but that is it.

A bad tank commander in the best tank will pretty much always be beaten by a good commander in a "bad" tank.

As you work up through the tiers you will face better and better players who have a more thorough knowledge of the game. Often they will be playing their favourite tanks, they know the maps well. Don't make the mistake of rushing up to high tiers in the hope that a higher tier tank will help you win. 

Avoid gimmick tanks like the Swedish TDs. They will encourage you to play in a particular way which will not help you overall. This game is won by knowing game mechanics and being aggressive in a sensible manner. Its that simple.

I'd thoroughly recommend a Russian HT or MT as the first lines to go up. They will teach you good general play and how to be successfully aggressive. You will get TX tanks which are useful in team battles. US tanks would also be a reasonable choice.

Horse_the_mountain_goat #23 Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:38 PM

Sergeant

• Beta-Tester
  • 48824 battles
  • [YETI] YETI

View PostPuggsley, on 09 January 2019 - 02:07 PM, said:

You have to understand that there is no line in the entire game which is noob friendly. No tank will cover shortfalls in understanding you have as a tank commander. This is why you see top tier tanks getting hardly any damage and losing over and over. Each improvement in any tank as you uptier will face enemy tanks with similar improvements.

I highly disagree. learning to play on the is7 line with only a few tips is by far the easiest way to start. 

asedneil2005 #24 Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:21 PM

Private

• 7355 battles

Hi it's me from the future I [Content removed] up.

Profanity filter bypass. Content removed and user warned.

~Alastor_N

Edited by Alastor_N, 15 January 2019 - 07:10 PM.

Puggsley #25 Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:27 AM

Captain

• 67645 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

View PostHorse_the_decrepit, on 11 January 2019 - 09:38 AM, said:

I highly disagree. learning to play on the is7 line with only a few tips is by far the easiest way to start. 

You think the tank makes all the difference? Most interesting.....

I have seen a large number of IS7 players with <45% WR in it.

Ezz #26 Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:15 PM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 67774 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostPuggsley, on 16 January 2019 - 10:27 AM, said:

I have seen a large number of IS7 players with <45% WR in it.

Imagine what they'd be if they started with the leo?

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

TheBudgiesmuggler #27 Posted 17 January 2019 - 06:16 PM

Staff sergeant

• 28356 battles
  • [PXR] PXR

View PostWodka_Warrior, on 23 December 2018 - 06:05 PM, said:

Hi there congrats on finding the forums.

Russian meds.

Russian heavies.

Don't play arty. 

Have fun & good luck. 

play arty its fun and it annoys people and then they start crying and moaning and you play it more 

jumphonner #28 Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:54 AM

First lieutenant

• 53973 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-
Buy as many Tier 8 premium tanks as you can afford.

basil_liddell_hart #29 Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:55 PM

Corporal

• 37198 battles
  • [LANCR] LANCR

View Post_argost_, on 23 December 2018 - 07:55 AM, said:

Soooo

I am starting World Of Tanks

And I want suggestions:

1. What Tank Line(s) to grind? (I only play 4hours a week)?

2. Tips?

Your response Is Highly Appreciated 

Dont

WorldGreatest_Corrupters #30 Posted 19 January 2019 - 07:05 PM

Corporal

• 46942 battles
  • [SABRE] SABRE

View PostTheBudgiesmuggler, on 17 January 2019 - 10:16 AM, said:

play arty its fun and it annoys people and then they start crying and moaning and you play it more 

+1

Wodka_Warrior #31 Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:47 PM

Potato Juice Connoisseur

• 19415 battles

View Postbasil_liddell_hart, on 18 January 2019 - 01:55 PM, said:

Dont

:teethhappy:

View Postsolid_snakeMGS, on 19 January 2019 - 07:05 PM, said:

+1

Edited by Wodka_Warrior, 19 January 2019 - 09:58 PM.

kookookichoo #32 Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:43 AM

the ginchiest

• 20841 battles
  • [EYRIE] EYRIE

View Postbasil_liddell_hart, on 18 January 2019 - 03:55 PM, said:

Dont

is bitter the new toxic? :trollface:

neokai #33 Posted 20 January 2019 - 01:52 PM

hunts pixels from red line

• Senior Moderator
  • 41355 battles

Just a quick reminder that New Player section has a tougher stance on trolling and unhelpful posts.

~neokai

Spoiler

GOLDEAGLE_2015 #34 Posted 20 January 2019 - 02:27 PM

Corporal

• 4051 battles

View PostTwit_, on 24 December 2018 - 11:16 AM, said:

Not really. To grind the tank line you would need to play:
  • Type 58 - a worse version of the T34-85 with no gun depression
  • IS-2 - an arguably worse version of the IS, with little gun dep, worse armour, worse gun handling, and a terrible engine
  • 110 - arguably worse than the IS-3, due to the low alpha gun, iffy armour angling that only works when you face front-on, and a hideous lower plate that anyone can shoot

As for the 5A itself, it rewards aggressive play. For most new players that may find themselves sitting back a bit, this tank is honestly wasted with that playstyle.

Personally I went with the M48 Patton as my first tier X, and I think it is one of the most well-rounded tanks in the game - a jack of all trades! And it has fairly decent line to grind.
Other tanks that I would recommend you grind would be the Strv 103B, the 430U, Type 5 Heavy and one tank that you can play for fun, a Sheridan perhaps?

One more thing, don't worry about things like win rate statistics and all that jazz for the first couple of thousand games you play, most people are still learning how to play Tanks with 15 thousand games in! Just focus on having fun and learning about how to play from other people. Ignore [edited]that call you a tomato and move on, there are always toxic people in any game. Enjoy 

Sheridan is so much fun with derp actually get it it's great!

Edited by GOLDEAGLE_2015, 20 January 2019 - 02:28 PM.

Questman77 #35 Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:54 PM

Private

• 13419 battles
  • [REIGN] REIGN

Italian tanks are a he is not looking pop out and spank him! style! which depend on just how noob you are but nothing is stopping you from watching a few vid and becoming better! Just dont do the british Heavy line the black prince is just awful i can't explain how much i hated that tank. 

killedbynoob #36 Posted 04 May 2019 - 02:18 AM

Official Noob

• 21416 battles
  • [JOHOR] JOHOR

View Post_argost_, on 23 December 2018 - 03:55 PM, said:

Soooo

I am starting World Of Tanks

And I want suggestions:

1. What Tank Line(s) to grind? (I only play 4hours a week)?

2. Tips?

Your response Is Highly Appreciated 

line to choose soviet (obviously)

tips just follow what the more experience player did but dont get in the way

(●_●---------)<

I'm just a fish

What u expect?

_Sp4rtacus_ #37 Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:33 AM

Sergeant

• 4650 battles

View PostTwit_, on 24 December 2018 - 12:46 PM, said:

Not really. To grind the tank line you would need to play:
  • Type 58 - a worse version of the T34-85 with no gun depression
  • IS-2 - an arguably worse version of the IS, with little gun dep, worse armour, worse gun handling, and a terrible engine
  • 110 - arguably worse than the IS-3, due to the low alpha gun, iffy armour angling that only works when you face front-on, and a hideous lower plate that anyone can shoot

As for the 5A itself, it rewards aggressive play. For most new players that may find themselves sitting back a bit, this tank is honestly wasted with that playstyle.

Personally I went with the M48 Patton as my first tier X, and I think it is one of the most well-rounded tanks in the game - a jack of all trades! And it has fairly decent line to grind.
Other tanks that I would recommend you grind would be the Strv 103B, the 430U, Type 5 Heavy and one tank that you can play for fun, a Sheridan perhaps?

One more thing, don't worry about things like win rate statistics and all that jazz for the first couple of thousand games you play, most people are still learning how to play Tanks with 15 thousand games in! Just focus on having fun and learning about how to play from other people. Ignore [edited]that call you a tomato and move on, there are always toxic people in any game. Enjoy :izmena:

Exactly , when i put reserves on say 200+ XP i play poorly , under pressure , if i just play for fun i can rack up 4 kills or more .

kickim #38 Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:13 PM

First lieutenant

• 51802 battles
  • [CALM] CALM

Pro tip: Just play arty, that will save you a lot of trouble down the road.

why?

1) not only you learn the only strength and the many many weakness of spg,

2) you get to see the battle from a birds eye view and learn good positions, good deployment, good tactics as they play out

3) you learn to use mini-map more

4) you see all the stupid things other players do and learn not to do them.

5) you learn where are the arty safe zones

trust me, you will become a better, smarter tank player which ever class/nation you choose.

Edited by kickim, 07 May 2019 - 12:13 PM.

mttspiii #39 Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:24 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 31406 battles
  • [CALM] CALM

View Postkickim, on 07 May 2019 - 12:13 PM, said:

trust me, you will become a better, smarter tank player which ever class/nation you choose.

You will also be a more horrible person who's just damned the souls of his crew members to RNG hell, so there's that.

I'm fierce and I'm feeling mighty,

I'm a golden girl, I'm an Aphrodite

wasaabi #40 Posted 05 August 2019 - 05:10 PM

This Dude Abides

• Senior Moderator
  • 22308 battles
  • [HMB] HMB

View PostGabrialKhan, on 05 August 2019 - 07:00 PM, said:

Hello everyone,,

So I was platooning with a couple of people on the World of Tanks Asia Discord Server (check it out here).

I was mainly platooning with newer players, trying to see the average player knowledge for those just starting out and it was woeful. I had a player with just over 400 games in WoT, who had no idea what line to grind. His first token from the Bootcamp tutorial was spent on a 59-16, of which he had no idea how light tanks worked. Working with more players like him, I found that most new players (and mature players, they exist) don't know some basic and nuanced concepts and game mechanics. Which of course, can be forgiven - WoT is a extremely complex RPG game.

So I took a look back at the Bootcamp, seeing what new players were actually taught. Nothing about:

Sidescraping

SPG

Premium tanks

Or basic spotting mechanics, like double-bushing.

Case in point.

The World of Tanks 'New Player Guide' isn't that useful either, as most of the information is pre-1.0 stuff and horribly outdated.

So, I wanted to make a general guide that anyone can understand.

Why? Because, at its core, WoT is a genuinely fun and satisfying game. People just get caught up in the nitty-gritty of things like persisting with the Indien-Panzer or SPG rage.

People need to learn more about the game (for example the 'Road to Unicum Guides that u/taugrim does), because at the end of the day, new players are the future of this game; teaching them how to play is crucial for everyone else's enjoyment of WoT.

You have zero battles on the Asia server for WoT PC.  If you want the Blitz forums then go to http://forum.wotblitz.asia/

The Dude abides.

Spoiler

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users