A quick question about the Jackson

Jackson Turret

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Sir_Direkin #1 Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:52 PM

Purveyor of Salt

• 11799 battles
  • [VERTX] VERTX
My Wolverine crew are just about ready to move on to the Jackson, but while previewing that tank I was a little curious about the upgraded turret. Usually when upgrading the turret (at least so far from what I've noticed) you get a slight increase in reload speed, but with this you only get an increase of 30 hit points for a corresponding increase in 300 kg. The effect is a reduction in power/weight ratio, but I also noticed a 2% decrease in concealment. Is it even worthwhile getting the top turret? It seems to me that, like with the M4A3E2, the stock turret is the better option.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCumyqpRUeOPCy1RcKXl96VA

2nd MoE: A15 Crusader, AMX 12t, KV-85, M6 Heavy, M10 Wolverine, M24 Chaffee, SU-85, T-34, T-50, T1 Heavy, VK 16.02 Leopard

Alita_My_Angel #2 Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:12 PM

Bish Bash Bosh

• In-Training Moderator
  • 10902 battles
  • [HKUE] HKUE

Note that not all turret upgrades offer an increase in the rate of fire.

And the turret upgrade on Jackson isn't all for nothing, you get better dispersion while turning your turret.

Your power to weight only decreases by 0.1 horsepower per ton, so I'd say it's a pretty negligible decrease.

Your upgraded turret also gives you a "roof", which makes you less susceptible to insanely high damage "skill shot" from arty or people intentionally firing HE into the top of your turret.

For the turret on the Jumbo, the stock one is not always the better choice, it all depends on your desired playstyle. If you want to play with the 105mm, of course you would use the stock turret. But if you wish to play with the 76mm pop pop gun with decent DPM, the upgraded turret allows you to mount the improved 76mm, which is frankly much better than the stock 76mm, as the rate of fire and accuracy improved.

Edited by Alastor_N, 11 January 2019 - 11:53 PM.

Hate the game, not the player

Sir_Direkin #3 Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:01 AM

Purveyor of Salt

• 11799 battles
  • [VERTX] VERTX

That's the thing though. Does the roof actually help much against HE? The tank has pretty thin armour as it is, with the exception of the mantlet, and the roof doesn't even show on tanks.gg (not on live anyway, it shows in visual and hybrid); shows 0 mm effective, or does it count as spaced armour? Maybe it's just an error in tanks.gg (and I definitely have the upgraded turret selected on that). Lower dispersion is a good thing at least.

I had planned to keep the derp for the Jumbo, so sticking with the stock turret on that, but for the Easy 8 the plan was to go for the upgraded 76mm M1A2; it just seemed more appropriate.

Edited by Sir_Direkin, 12 January 2019 - 01:02 AM.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCumyqpRUeOPCy1RcKXl96VA

2nd MoE: A15 Crusader, AMX 12t, KV-85, M6 Heavy, M10 Wolverine, M24 Chaffee, SU-85, T-34, T-50, T1 Heavy, VK 16.02 Leopard

mttspiii #4 Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:19 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 30529 battles
  • [CALM] CALM

The E8 goes best with elite turret and 76mm

The E2 can also work with the elite turret + 76mm, but the stock turret + 105mm is rather unique as far as it goes

One benefit to the roof of the elite M36 turret is that you can use it to bait shots. Enemies try to shoot at the roof thinking it will do damage, when it actually has no hitbox. Same trick I use for T25/2.

I'm fierce and I'm feeling mighty,

I'm a golden girl, I'm an Aphrodite

Alita_My_Angel #5 Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:46 PM

Bish Bash Bosh

• In-Training Moderator
  • 10902 battles
  • [HKUE] HKUE

View PostSir_Direkin, on 12 January 2019 - 01:01 AM, said:

That's the thing though. Does the roof actually help much against HE? The tank has pretty thin armour as it is, with the exception of the mantlet, and the roof doesn't even show on tanks.gg (not on live anyway, it shows in visual and hybrid); shows 0 mm effective, or does it count as spaced armour? Maybe it's just an error in tanks.gg (and I definitely have the upgraded turret selected on that). Lower dispersion is a good thing at least.

I had planned to keep the derp for the Jumbo, so sticking with the stock turret on that, but for the Easy 8 the plan was to go for the upgraded 76mm M1A2; it just seemed more appropriate.

Wow I did not know that, at least I thought it would give some protection. Maybe it's just a placebo effect.

View Postmttspiii, on 12 January 2019 - 10:19 AM, said:

The E8 goes best with elite turret and 76mm

The E2 can also work with the elite turret + 76mm, but the stock turret + 105mm is rather unique as far as it goes

One benefit to the roof of the elite M36 turret is that you can use it to bait shots. Enemies try to shoot at the roof thinking it will do damage, when it actually has no hitbox. Same trick I use for T25/2.

​Yeah that roof trolls, I once tried to shoot at the roof of the T25/2 from the front (slightly below it), it just wouldn't register as a hit :(

Hate the game, not the player

pokeranger24 #6 Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:28 PM

Dark Meister of Tanks

• 10245 battles
  • [SPIDA] SPIDA

View Postmttspiii, on 12 January 2019 - 10:19 AM, said:

Yeha that roof trolls hard, I had to check multiple times where on the hell my shots are going

And its best to go with 105 gun and stock turret, its possible to block even tier 8 TD guns with that thing if you are careful

Jumbo is my favorite tank in the game

The Great Overlords of Wargaming have bestowed me with the Title of Dark Meister of Tanks, The controller of RNG and MM

Thou must shout my name if you want favorable RNG and MM

Also tagged with Jackson, Turret

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users