Is the Armored Cars any good?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: Is the Armored Cars any good? (10 members have cast votes)

Whats the Best Armored Car?

1. AMD 178B (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. EBR Hotchkiss (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Lynx 6x6 (3 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

4. EBR 90 (0 votes [0.00%])

5. EBR 105 (7 votes [70.00%])

Percentage of vote: 70.00%

Whats the Worst Armored Car?

1. AMD 178B (9 votes [90.00%])

Percentage of vote: 90.00%

2. EBR Hotchkiss (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Lynx 6x6 (0 votes [0.00%])

4. EBR 90 (1 vote [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

5. EBR 105 (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

boofy2002 #1 Posted 10 February 2019 - 06:33 AM

Corporal

• 15289 battles
  • [HMNZ] HMNZ

So far I got the AMD and I was wondering Is later armored cars any good?

Edited by boofy2002, 10 February 2019 - 06:48 AM.

kookookichoo #2 Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:34 AM

the ginchiest

• 20411 battles
  • [EYRIE] EYRIE

checkout skill’s wheelie showcase

southerner #3 Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:54 AM

Captain

• 16085 battles
  • [2MEKE] 2MEKE
Its a bit early in the release to ask these questions. Give it a couple of months for a consensus to firm up.
indignatio regis nuntii mortis et vir sapiens placabit ea 

LeSigh #4 Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:29 AM

It's Incredibly Disappointing

• 45531 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
They aren't 'good' but they are fun. There are better tanks tier for tier than all of them thanks to the view range challenges but ripping around the battlefield at a million miles an hour is good giggles.
This account proudly sponsored by WG

MagicalFlyingFox #5 Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:59 AM

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW

• Beta-Tester
  • 31624 battles
  • [YETI] YETI

Their effectiveness is heavily influenced by player skill at driving, scouting and map awareness.

Mild Language warning:

Spoiler

The tier 6 and 7 are quite similar with the 7 just being a similar sort of thing as the 6 but pretty much slightly better in every way. The tier 8 is a large change. 

Edited by MagicalFlyingFox, 10 February 2019 - 08:59 AM.

http://www.theuselessweb.com/

A. Guy on 02 June 2018 - 12:40 AM, said:

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW... says it all about you.

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #6 Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:42 AM

Blue Mountain Aoyama

• Beta-Tester
  • 71935 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY

View Postkookookichoo, on 10 February 2019 - 07:34 AM, said:

checkout skill’s wheelie showcase

So basically the only way for this tank to do well is to get Prok and do things that are impossible to do on the Asia server, like outspotting enemy in bushes while active scouting in a low viewrange tank and having enemies that miss.

Underhook #7 Posted 10 February 2019 - 11:43 AM

First lieutenant

• 30944 battles
  • [TOG1R] TOG1R

Good players are ripping teams apart.  The games are very short and all tanks on that flank have to retreat.

Good players can certainly get wins with these tanks but I dont think they are earning all that much XP.  I see them winning games for their team but I think that after the initial spotting of the enemy, tanks with longer view range can see them and thus get (steal) the spotting assist.

Underhook

Tank reviews  https://www.youtube.com/user/Reginaldesq

FramFramson #8 Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:40 AM

Major

• 42463 battles
  • [AVAST] AVAST

The only reason they're doing well is because our server responds so poorly to aggressive enemies so long as there's more than one of them. Really, more of them should be getting whacked on their yolo runs than are.

Maybe this will change over time as people get used to them?

LT-playing masochist. It's too much fun to be a mosquito.

Puggsley #9 Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:24 AM

Captain

• 66018 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

I free xped up to the T8 and been playing a lot of LT over the last little while. Still upgrading components.

Been great fun in the Lynx - I'm rolling a plus 70% WR in it after about 20 games or so. I think I was 10 wins from 11 games in the opening games.

Been playing reasonably aggressively at the start but pretty much an anti scout role. Mid game is more about spotting - usually they are right down on scouts and its much easier to spot. Late game is assassin time. Early spotting in the Lynx for me has been rushing to a good forward bush and bugger all active scouting except if I have a lot of guns behind me and I can get into a decent hard cover spot at the end of the yolo. I've never thought it much of active scouting as a scout tactic to begin with - bleeding health to get a couple of ally shots on a tank seems a gigantic waste to me.

Low vision range is a major issue to overcome, learning the location of a lot more scouting bushes.... But they are extremely effective at probing to find areas of the map which a team might have not deployed to.

The other tank I've been playing a lot is the Even 90, very much in an anti scout hunting role early game. Had a 65% WR in it over the last week or so. Its nearly as fast as the Lynx.  

Arties have been worried - had a guy in a Lynx yolo on westfield and 2 of the 3 enemy arty were killed inside 45 seconds. It also tied up their MTs and we were able to take huge map control early - it was a 15 - 1 win.

Wheelies are difficult to hit when driven erratically, they tie up a lot of early enemy shots and give a good opportunity to take out distracted enemies early - if your allies have shots.   

mttspiii #10 Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:37 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 30635 battles
  • [CALM] CALM

Tier 8-10 are real monsters in open maps. They drive too menacingly close, so everyone's shooting at them, so they all get demasked and get shot at by the wheelie's teammates.

They also are surprisingly resilient against direct HE hits. Wheels act as spaced armor?

I'm fierce and I'm feeling mighty,

I'm a golden girl, I'm an Aphrodite

MagicalFlyingFox #11 Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:17 AM

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW

• Beta-Tester
  • 31624 battles
  • [YETI] YETI

Maps like prok and Mali are honestly not ideal for the wheeled tanks at lower tiers due to view range. You need to make aggressive plays to win but you need to do them at the right time. It is difficult when your team isn't on the advantage. 

Maps with more defined locations are slightly better imho like Live Oaks are arguably more reliable to play. 

That being said, the insane camo that these things get allow it to get away with pretty much anything unless the enemy is camping with binos. 

MagicalFlyingFox #12 Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:21 AM

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW

• Beta-Tester
  • 31624 battles
  • [YETI] YETI

View PostAoyama_Blue_Mountain, on 10 February 2019 - 01:42 PM, said:

So basically the only way for this tank to do well is to get Prok and do things that are impossible to do on the Asia server, like outspotting enemy in bushes while active scouting in a low viewrange tank and having enemies that miss.

I mean, my twitch clip is on the ASIA server and on prok so :confused:

Spoiler

I did ace it a couple times but i cbf clipping it.

Wheeled tanks should be enemy scout denial to start, restricting the enemy's ability to get vision in most maps.

Some maps you don't have to. 

Edited by MagicalFlyingFox, 12 February 2019 - 10:23 AM.

KingANZAC #13 Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:32 AM

Corporal

• 2577 battles
  • [A1TB] A1TB

View PostPuggsley, on 10 February 2019 - 11:24 PM, said:

I free xped up to the T8 and been playing a lot of LT over the last little while. Still upgrading components.

Been great fun in the Lynx - I'm rolling a plus 70% WR in it after about 20 games or so. I think I was 10 wins from 11 games in the opening games.

Been playing reasonably aggressively at the start but pretty much an anti scout role. Mid game is more about spotting - usually they are right down on scouts and its much easier to spot. Late game is assassin time. Early spotting in the Lynx for me has been rushing to a good forward bush and bugger all active scouting except if I have a lot of guns behind me and I can get into a decent hard cover spot at the end of the yolo. I've never thought it much of active scouting as a scout tactic to begin with - bleeding health to get a couple of ally shots on a tank seems a gigantic waste to me.

Low vision range is a major issue to overcome, learning the location of a lot more scouting bushes.... But they are extremely effective at probing to find areas of the map which a team might have not deployed to.

The other tank I've been playing a lot is the Even 90, very much in an anti scout hunting role early game. Had a 65% WR in it over the last week or so. Its nearly as fast as the Lynx.  

Arties have been worried - had a guy in a Lynx yolo on westfield and 2 of the 3 enemy arty were killed inside 45 seconds. It also tied up their MTs and we were able to take huge map control early - it was a 15 - 1 win.

Wheelies are difficult to hit when driven erratically, they tie up a lot of early enemy shots and give a good opportunity to take out distracted enemies early - if your allies have shots.   

Not if a champ tk's your pole smoking [edited] first.:arta:

Puggsley #14 Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:38 AM

Captain

• 66018 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

If only all games were this exciting.

Far forward at the start and shooting into the rear of tanks on the front line, flanking, counterflanking, vision games at the end against T9's capping and trying to cap. Last kill for the top gun and victory. Some very dodgy driving at critical moments just to help elevate the heart rate.....

4.4k damage, 1390 base XP and still only 1st class?

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4776551#fjords-puggsley-panhard_aml_lynx_6x6

These vehicles are great fun. 

Topgunm #15 Posted 18 February 2019 - 07:32 PM

Private

• 84525 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY

What everyone seems to have forgotten here is that we are playing a game called world of TANKS. Armoured cars are NOT tanks and therefore do not belong in this game. If you want to drive around like a maniac go play a different game. I have issues with the fact that these vehicles are scouts that can be out scouted by spg's (almost). Plus a small repair kit only seems to fix one tyre so you need to run large repair kits to fix multiple broken (deflated) wheels.

Also these things are not suited to most of the maps due to their excessive turning circles. I know it probably involves a change of thinking on how to play but in some scenarios they are just unplayable.

I believe that including these vehicles is to the detriment of the game.

Puggsley #16 Posted 19 February 2019 - 05:18 AM

Captain

• 66018 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

So made up tanks are OK, real world fighting vehicles are not?

Lots of tanks are not really suited to some maps, HTs to open ones, light tanks and arty in cities. Its just the game, and these things are new content in a game which struggles to not keep producing OP new content. 

Topgunm #17 Posted 23 February 2019 - 10:41 AM

Private

• 84525 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY

Yeah Puggs, made up or not they are still tanks. Real or not armoured cars are still not tanks. If you wanted to be pedantic then most of the tanks in the game are created from blueprints or imagination so shouldn't be in the game but, as I said, real or not they are still tanks.

FramFramson #18 Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:25 PM

Major

• 42463 battles
  • [AVAST] AVAST
World of Tank-ish Things

LT-playing masochist. It's too much fun to be a mosquito.

CardinalMite #19 Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:47 PM

Captain

• 28066 battles

View PostTopgunm, on 23 February 2019 - 02:41 AM, said:

Yeah Puggs, made up or not they are still tanks. Real or not armoured cars are still not tanks. If you wanted to be pedantic then most of the tanks in the game are created from blueprints or imagination so shouldn't be in the game but, as I said, real or not they are still tanks.

It really does not matter, SPGs are not tanks, casemate non turreted tank destroyers are arguably less tank like than wheeled armoured cars... so what?

Fact is they are in the game whether you like them or not. They aren't OP, yes they change the meta a bit, so did the introduction of SPGs, autoloaders, swedish TDs...

You can whinge about it all you like, it will make no difference to what WG do.

Mean time, it isn't hard to kill them, hell most of the time they get themselves killed inside the first 60 seconds of the match. Yes a very good player can do amazing things in them, but the same would be true of that player in other types of tanks.

“Holiday ops is balanced for Asia because a good player opening 11 boxes will get just as many decorations as a noob opening 75..”—.Murazor new head of global festive events.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users