Wheeled Light Tanks

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Fish308 #1 Posted 27 February 2019 - 02:10 PM

Private

• 56362 battles
  • [WIP_T] WIP_T
WG introducing wheeled light tanks into the game seems to have made all my other light tanks redundant? They are all faster to get into position & unable to be shot at speed so whats the point of playing anything else? Seems to me to be yet another poorly thought out change to the game...

K4BeeTee #2 Posted 27 February 2019 - 02:27 PM

Corporal

• 11626 battles
  • [REIGN] REIGN
It's totally changed the game for the worse I reckon. What did everyone expect would happen when World of Tanks became World of Mario Karts?

Ezz #3 Posted 27 February 2019 - 02:59 PM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 69877 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
To be fair on the few maps where view range matters they'll be dominated, plus the wheelies tend to have pretty poor dpm so are screwed if you can get into a brawl with them.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

CardinalMite #4 Posted 27 February 2019 - 03:03 PM

Captain

• 29700 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostFish308, on 27 February 2019 - 06:10 AM, said:

WG introducing wheeled light tanks into the game seems to have made all my other light tanks redundant? They are all faster to get into position & unable to be shot at speed so whats the point of playing anything else? Seems to me to be yet another poorly thought out change to the game...

Lol no!

Wheeled tanks have their issues but no way have they made tracked light tanks redundant. Sure they are faster overall, but that does not make them better than regular LTs.

They have a very high skill floor meaning that for poor to average players, they would find it eassier to play regular LTs and honestly regular LTs are not recommended for novice players.

Very good players can do very well in them but then very good players do very well in most tanks.

Fact is wheelies are still very new, so people are getting caught out because they have not adjusted yet to the new meta. Similarly people will adjust to shooting these vehicles that move at higher speeds.

But for sure their speed is their armour, because lordy their armour isn't their armour. With low view range, low HP and some of them are quite large targets, they are very fragile.

Whether they will ultimately prove to be good for the game or not is still uncertain. It needs more time for everyone to adjust map strategy and tactical skills before any kind of real conclusion can be made.

Mean time I am not having a problem playing regular LTs against these.

Edited by CardinalMite, 27 February 2019 - 03:03 PM.

“Holiday ops is balanced for Asia because a good player opening 11 boxes will get just as many decorations as a noob opening 75..”—.Murazor new head of global festive events.

"It's like you literally dont read your own posts, let alone others, make up instead what you wished others said, then put a non-sensical counter argument to that imagined post."

Profanisaurus #5 Posted 28 February 2019 - 07:38 AM

le sigh

• 2017 battles
  • [PBFG] PBFG
Also of note is that they are new and shiny. The numbers will drop sharply once people have ground to the 10 because they just aren't that good.  Good fun but not good.
Thanks Conan - (Insert Eggplant here)

spacewolf #6 Posted 28 February 2019 - 09:02 AM

I still think it's morally wrong so in fact I'm right.

• Beta-Tester
  • 74309 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

Light tanks aren't redundant, you just need to be mindful of the wheelies. You also need to be mindful of some TD's derp guns, and mindful of many other things.

They are quick, but their view range is shit to the point of being a really big weakness - but they do need that weakness. They are more about active spotting and less about passive. A normal LT can do a bit of both but the wheelies just don't have the VR to pull off being a genuine passive scout.

They're fun, no doubt, but I sincerely doubt they are anything more than a gimmick. I would hardly believe anyone serious would run them in a genuine CW strat. 

Proudly sponsored by WG

TrinityShock #7 Posted 04 March 2019 - 09:17 PM

Staff sergeant

• 29683 battles

they give the advantage to those who have low ping to the server over those with higher ping. you have to lead them more and as they are a small target your chances of hitting them are also small.

forget about trying to reach the soft cover at the beginning of the game as you will get spotted by them early and die 

Make arty great again.

We wanted better MM, they gave us Wheelies 

I don't play arty anymore since the nerf, but then again I haven't given WG any more money since then either.

CardinalMite #8 Posted 04 March 2019 - 10:20 PM

Captain

• 29700 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostTrinityShock, on 04 March 2019 - 01:17 PM, said:

they give the advantage to those who have low ping to the server over those with higher ping. you have to lead them more and as they are a small target your chances of hitting them are also small.

forget about trying to reach the soft cover at the beginning of the game as you will get spotted by them early and die 

That depends entirely on which soft cover you drive towards at the beginning of the game and if you are paying attention to the map and team dispersion.

Sure you maybe can't be as forward in your fast tracked light tank as before given you are no longer the fastest on the battlefield.

Adjust your strategy then. Cars tend to die very early leaving you with the spotting advantage mid to late game. Before that you make it your mission to counter them.

Edited by CardinalMite, 04 March 2019 - 10:21 PM.

“Holiday ops is balanced for Asia because a good player opening 11 boxes will get just as many decorations as a noob opening 75..”—.Murazor new head of global festive events.

"It's like you literally dont read your own posts, let alone others, make up instead what you wished others said, then put a non-sensical counter argument to that imagined post."

Saffelicious #9 Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:21 AM

Master flipper !

• Live Streamer
  • 37403 battles
  • [YETI] YETI

The Wheeled vehicles are far from overpowered.

8/10 games I Would be better off in my T100 or 13105.

The two issues I see with them is that avg players just yolos around and its hard to predict what is going to happen.

Normal LT players drives around like they are in a wheeled and over extends massively. 

So much yoloing going on in LTs atm but im sure we will see a bit less of them soon.

In saying that we had a game on el halluf with 6 LTs on either side.

Was the most amusing game iv'e played in a while.

all of us ended up down in the bowl like a little bee hive and fought it out. was awesome seeing a little army zipping down the hill! 

Pubbie 1
"You guys run around in t10 tanks with, prem consumables, prem rounds, prem crews and even prem modules and that is not fair on the newbies in t8, how do you expect the server to survive if this is what they get from your clan. Some of us want this server to survive."
Pubbie 2
"What's pathetic and un Australian is you and the other [edited] complaining about those here behind their backs on the other forum. What's pathetic is thinking you are better than others on forums and in the game and big noting yourself when blind Feddy can see your sudden improvement on purchasing vpack"

CardinalMite #10 Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:37 AM

Captain

• 29700 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

^^^ This. From a match winning PoV most maps I wish I was in a regular LT and it can be a big challenge to be relevant without getting very much killed to death.

However they can be ridiculously fun in a keystone cops, clown car, collection of idiots kind of way. Long term without some buffs at least to health pool to encourage taking the risk of active spotting, I suspect these will be rarely seen on the battlefield except as higher tier meme tanks a bit like Pz1c's in style.

Edited by CardinalMite, 05 March 2019 - 08:38 AM.

Profanisaurus #11 Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:20 AM

le sigh

• 2017 battles
  • [PBFG] PBFG
It's just like playing a low or mid tier light. In those games you look at the enemy team, assume they have a sub 46% light and you don't go for a deep spotting bush straight up because there is a fair chance they will accidentally light you as they yolo.

Now it's just the same with higher tier games until the Armoured car spam dies out.

Puggsley #12 Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:27 AM

Captain

• 71029 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

When driving a wheelie the sixth sense sound should be modified a little bit.

Normal sound when you are spotted.

When an enemy LT is within 200m it changes to the Benny Hill music. 

CardinalMite #13 Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:37 AM

Captain

• 29700 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
OMFG yes!!!

Profanisaurus #14 Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:39 AM

le sigh

• 2017 battles
  • [PBFG] PBFG
Readies up Lynx...

Puggsley #15 Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:39 AM

Captain

• 71029 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

It almost makes me want to learn the sax. Almost.

I reckon it would be the ultimate seduction song. "Close your eyes baby and listen to what I can play on my horn..." 

CardinalMite #16 Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:18 AM

Captain

• 29700 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

It's funny, most opinion seems to be that the AMD178b is weak, but somehow for me it is working really well, at least from a win rate perspective.

24 battles, so small sample to be fair, but currently on 58% wins.

It can be very awkward to  drive with a poor turning circle and its top speed isn't really much better than tracked lights.

Also there are many matches where you get very little spotting damage with terribad view range and direct damage when low tier can be very hard to get.

The health pool is low, and combined with getting wheel damage borking your mobility, you are super fragile...

Sounds awful right?

Yet...

This is a really weird tank, I have had several battles where I got meh, assist and direct damage but still were able to get enemies killed.

You often find you go aggressively active spotting, you don't light anything, you get spotted, but then several enemies shoot at you. When they do this though, they in turn get spotted, but not by your car, but by mediums or lights with great view range not far behind you. The enemy then dies trying to kill your car but you don't get any direct reward except that you have caused a chain of events, that resulted in your team getting several kills.

The HE damage and pen is good though for its tier. I have murdered quite a few tracked LTs that thought I was food, because on the move accuracy is usually better than the opposition. Also when bottom tier that HE pen is very good for tracking higher tiers.

While the top speed and acceleration are nothing special, the fact that you can accelerate and get to the same top speed in reverse is incredibly useful.

Still a ways to go before I unlock the tier 7 but so far it is quite fun, every once in a while everything clicks, the stars align and I have had a few high damage monster games.

Puggsley #17 Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:23 AM

Captain

• 71029 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

An analogy for the wheelies I have is that they are just like a really grippy rear tyre on a road bike you are pushing hard. 

And its made of a compound which lets go really suddenly without sliding much to warn you of impending doom. You think everything is fine and dandy, you are cornering faster than you ever have before and BOOM. 

LT's are grippy but they slide a little bit to let you know "I'll bit you back". Not much, but a clear warning.

Mt's are decent, you get a good warning and can powerslide often and get away with it.

HTs are like marshmellow. 

spacewolf #18 Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:27 AM

I still think it's morally wrong so in fact I'm right.

• Beta-Tester
  • 74309 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Yea I think I didn't mind the tier 6. The 7 just became annoying. The 8 is a little more interesting, with a somewhat strange gun progression (you go backwards to go forwards, except for the 90mm HE pen). 

Proudly sponsored by WG

Profanisaurus #19 Posted 07 March 2019 - 12:03 PM

le sigh

• 2017 battles
  • [PBFG] PBFG
Agree on the 6 vs the 7 but I completed the 7 at 62% whereas I'm struggling to get the 6 back to 60%. Have even had to move another light crew into the 6 temporarily now I have the 8 with the idea of getting it back to 60.

HexHammer #20 Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:41 PM

Staff sergeant

• 33637 battles

The AMD178b has good gun depression, and a good gun, and can reverse out of trouble and those are the good parts. But it has a high profile, weak armor, and 60kmh is not really particularly great.

I have 70% winrate after 30 games, but doing less that 650 damage and less than 500 assist more good luck than personal skill TBH.

They are fun, but tracked LTs are superior IMO, at least at tier6

Edited by BrutalOlyx, 07 March 2019 - 08:41 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users