• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

StormCrowReaperManyHat #141 Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:02 AM

Ammo Racked IRL

• Beta-Tester
  • 22793 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostVindictus_Maximus, on 19 March 2019 - 10:10 AM, said:

The wheeled tanks are not great for Generals at all. To get General with light tanks you need to be able to get plenty of spotting assist, and you also need to be able to spot your own damage. If you are not spotting your own damage, you only get half the xp/prestige. And a lot of the times that the wheeled tanks bait shots to get the enemy spotted, it is actually other tanks that get that spotting

The wheeled tanks are almost as annoying to play with as they are to play against because they are so blind, the lack of reward for the constant risks you have to take. To get a General with a wheeled tank, you need to be on the attacking team, and get very lucky with successfully capping numerous times. Get out of your slow heavilly armored TDs for a few games and try playing the wheeled tanks for yourself and you will see that they are not so great

No, if you want generals playing lights, you need to play the tracked LTs

Last night of FL I got three generals and two majors and all I played was the EBR, Pantera, Even and one particularly glorious game where i sat still 350m from E and farmed 8k damage in the nUDESin 4 minutes.

To say that Wheelies are not good for farming ranks is naive at best and disingenuous at worst.

Outrage is too exhausting to maintain for years on end. Numpty fatigue has set in.

The rage of 2013/2014 has sullenly ceded ground to apathy and despair, there is no viable alternative.

#FreeFireGuard2k13

mttspiii #142 Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:08 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 31087 battles
  • [CALM] CALM

View PostVindictus_Maximus, on 19 March 2019 - 08:10 AM, said:

The wheeled tanks are not great for Generals at all. To get General with light tanks you need to be able to get plenty of spotting assist, and you also need to be able to spot your own damage. If you are not spotting your own damage, you only get half the xp/prestige. And a lot of the times that the wheeled tanks bait shots to get the enemy spotted, it is actually other tanks that get that spotting

The wheeled tanks are almost as annoying to play with as they are to play against because they are so blind, the lack of reward for the constant risks you have to take. To get a General with a wheeled tank, you need to be on the attacking team, and get very lucky with successfully capping numerous times. Get out of your slow heavilly armored TDs for a few games and try playing the wheeled tanks for yourself and you will see that they are not so great

Seeing that there's a strong bias for the attacking team (partly because of wheelies), it seems that wheelies exacerbated underlying mechanics problems in FL. Remember that the FL map was balanced prior to the introduction of wheelies, so suddenly 72kph isn't the top speed anymore.

Long-term solution would be to wait and see which FL mechanics are broken (should a breakthrough at D open up Objective 5 for a quick wheelie raid for example), short-term solution would be to simply limit wheelies (to the AUS server they all go).

As for general points, you get a spotter plane to spot your own targets so the main wheelie weakness - being blind - is negated. Not that it matters much; wheelies aren't as much OP as they are simply broken, like arty that has its own bombers, porta-arty, ability to fire across multiple maps, and its own spotter plane.

Also, there's great difficulty in killing an arty. Sure, you now have wheelies that are fast enough to hunt arty, but they are blind so can't even see arty. You have LT's but apart from crossing over the back of a flank they ain't really effective at finding arty. There's spotter planes and bombers, but 5 second delay means arty has moved out once 6th sense comes out after 3 seconds. And since they keep on not dying, they're always with an extra reinforcement. Make those weird corridor-ing mountains much, much taller and maybe things will get better.

And btw, I actually did get General with a T28. Defensive team of course.

Edited by mttspiii, 19 March 2019 - 12:11 PM.

I'm fierce and I'm feeling mighty,

I'm a golden girl, I'm an Aphrodite

Profanisaurus #143 Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:15 PM

le sigh

• 2017 battles
  • [PBFG] PBFG
Yeah I generalled in the T28 a few times last year. It's long sold now. Used to be able to drive onto a cap and hold it.  Team last year were cleverer though. This year you'd never bet on your allies to defend your flanks.

Puggsley #144 Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:53 PM

Captain

• 67026 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

View PostVindictus_Maximus, on 19 March 2019 - 10:10 AM, said:

Ummm no.

Wheelies are great for getting high ranks, they are perfect capping tools with smoke, engineer and inspire. 

And they are incredibly fast to break contact if you need a repair. Take 2 hits, bugger off get fixed and then you are straight back into the fight. Rinse and repeat.

This game had bugger all spotting (wheelies are not that crash hot at spotting), but 5 caps (which they are incredible at doing). Didn't need a second tank.

CardinalMite #145 Posted 19 March 2019 - 01:18 PM

Captain

• 28694 battles

Actually on wheelies being blind in FL, that is not  precisely true ... if you are smart. Pop an inspire consumable and it improves all skills by 15%. That also stacks with the effects of vents/optics and food so if you time it right you can dramatically improve view range on a wheelies if you have a good crew with BIA, SA etc. The fact it also improves camo means cars can take some obscene liberties and get away with murder and escape.

If you also have engineering consumable then fast capping with 3 wheelies is very doable and I saw many players with ebr 75s get General rank.

The idea that wheeled tanks can't progress ranks fast is complete [edited]. 

Edited by CardinalMite, 19 March 2019 - 01:19 PM.

“Holiday ops is balanced for Asia because a good player opening 11 boxes will get just as many decorations as a noob opening 75..”—.Murazor new head of global festive events.

U12D13 #146 Posted 19 March 2019 - 01:37 PM

IRL Garbage Collector

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 38389 battles
  • [CALM] CALM
^Which is exactly my gripe with Wheeled LTs in FL mode right now.

Since they are balanced around low hp, poor VR and crappy performance in towns (due to the wheel turning mechanic). All these are negated by:
Repair circles (easily repair any lost hp)
Inspire/Recon planes (gets rid of low VR)
Respawn (U not only deal with them once, they can spawn in another wheeled LT or, if the fight goes to town, just simply swap out for a heavy etc)

Balanced for randoms, but definitely an oversight in FL.

I'm not good at this game, its just that the rest of the server sucks~

Casual Gaming: Apply for [ANKOU] today! Simple requirements: English speaking, Wn8 = 1000+ (nego-able), new players welcome!

Competitive Gaming: Come join in the [CALM/CROWN] family! Weekly Strongholds and CW~

SiKiN #147 Posted 19 March 2019 - 01:41 PM

Staff sergeant

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 25765 battles
  • [LEFT] LEFT

View PostStormCrowReaperManyHat, on 19 March 2019 - 12:02 PM, said:

Last night of FL I got three generals and two majors and all I played was the EBR, Pantera, Even and one particularly glorious game where i sat still 350m from E and farmed 8k damage in the nUDESin 4 minutes.

To say that Wheelies are not good for farming ranks is naive at best and disingenuous at worst.

Had the exact opposite experience mostly due to my own means of not really giving a toss about the gamemode anymore which after an entire week of just grinding I guess that's an excuse... but yeah I started taking trash tanks like the IS6 and 112 for absolutely no reason other than to just wait for a result. Mind you I had a few good runs but with those tanks its mostly the enemies fault if you do well, you know what I mean?

Edited by SiKiN, 19 March 2019 - 01:43 PM.

Ezz #148 Posted 12 April 2019 - 11:44 PM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 67360 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Well the announcement for the next session is up. All the above feedback appears to have been distilled down to 'it was hard to defend'. The rest about artillery, wheelies, etc. we can hope is in the next one.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

CardinalMite #149 Posted 13 April 2019 - 01:07 AM

Captain

• 28694 battles

View PostEzz, on 12 April 2019 - 03:44 PM, said:

Well the announcement for the next session is up. All the above feedback appears to have been distilled down to 'it was hard to defend'. The rest about artillery, wheelies, etc. we can hope is in the next one.

So absolutely nothing to address cap bypassing.  Sigh WG and you said you'd listen to our feedback... this must have been the number one thing people were complaining about and it would have been so easy to prevent...

It is where a lot of ire about wheelies comes from, youd think they would want to quell that source of salt.

Edited by CardinalMite, 13 April 2019 - 01:09 AM.

“Holiday ops is balanced for Asia because a good player opening 11 boxes will get just as many decorations as a noob opening 75..”—.Murazor new head of global festive events.

Sir_Direkin #150 Posted 13 April 2019 - 01:54 AM

Purveyor of Salt

• 12127 battles
  • [VERTX] VERTX

View PostCardinalMite, on 13 April 2019 - 01:07 AM, said:

So absolutely nothing to address cap bypassing.  Sigh WG and you said you'd listen to our feedback... this must have been the number one thing people were complaining about and it would have been so easy to prevent...

It is where a lot of ire about wheelies comes from, youd think they would want to quell that source of salt.

Well, at least they've put a stop to that [edited]where TDs can attack turret 3 from that promontory. Baby steps.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCumyqpRUeOPCy1RcKXl96VA

2nd MoE: A15 Crusader, AMX 12t, KV-85, M6 Heavy, M10 Wolverine, M24 Chaffee, SU-85, T-34, T-50, T1 Heavy, VK 16.02 Leopard

FramFramson #151 Posted 13 April 2019 - 03:31 AM

Major

• 43011 battles
  • [AVAST] AVAST

View PostSir_Direkin, on 12 April 2019 - 12:54 PM, said:

Well, at least they've put a stop to that [edited]where TDs can attack turret 3 from that promontory. Baby steps.

What did they do? Go with the WG tradition of dropping a great big rock in the way?

LT-playing masochist. It's too much fun to be a mosquito.

CardinalMite #152 Posted 13 April 2019 - 07:24 AM

Captain

• 28694 battles

View PostSir_Direkin, on 12 April 2019 - 05:54 PM, said:

That isn't proven yet, all they did was improve the objective armour, hopefully yes but we will have to see.

Honestly though WG need to get better at reacting to balance issues, be they map design, tank balance or game mode rules and mechanics.

TheBudgiesmuggler #153 Posted 13 April 2019 - 04:03 PM

Staff sergeant

• 27710 battles
  • [PXR] PXR
Can't wait to see if any of the "changes" Wargaming implements are at all effective for defending teams or not...

Edited by TheBudgiesmuggler, 13 April 2019 - 04:03 PM.

Cambro_killer101 #154 Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:38 PM

Corporal

• 16065 battles
Still got a feeling the wheelies are going to rush one side and take out all the objectives within 5 min...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users