Experienced Firefighting directive

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

mrdoobie #1 Posted 13 March 2019 - 10:12 PM

Private

• 6859 battles
  • [GUARD] GUARD

It says "Gives all crew members the firefighting skill trained to 100%" for "(crew members who can have the 'Firefighting' perk do not have it trained to 100%).

Does this mean it only affects crew members that do have firefighting trained, but not to 100% (meaning you need to have all crew having firefighting skill at 0-99 to get same affect as all crew with 100%),

Or does give all crew 100% firefighting skill even if they haven't selected it as a skill?

I just made an assumption it gave all crew 100% ff even if they haven't selected it, but I'm not so sure after using the directive yet having several tanks burn to the ground.

stewiejp #2 Posted 13 March 2019 - 10:46 PM

#GetOnBoard

• Community Contributor
  • 44071 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

Or does give all crew 100% firefighting skill even if they haven't selected it as a skill?

^^ This

As far as I can see it gives 100% to all crew members (FF skill) 

[img]https://i.imgur.com/lNZn9gD.png[/img]

It doesn't mean fires will be put out straight away though - just a bit quicker - ie not as fast as an auto fire extinguisher

Edited by stewiejp, 13 March 2019 - 10:47 PM.

#GetOnBoard Studios  -  Where the magic happens - www.youtube.com/c/stewiejp   www.twitch.tv/stewiejp  

mrdoobie #3 Posted 13 March 2019 - 11:05 PM

Private

• 6859 battles
  • [GUARD] GUARD

View Poststewiejp, on 13 March 2019 - 10:46 PM, said:

^^ This

As far as I can see it gives 100% to all crew members (FF skill) 

[img]https://i.imgur.com/lNZn9gD.png[/img]

It doesn't mean fires will be put out straight away though - just a bit quicker - ie not as fast as an auto fire extinguisher

Thanks, appreciate the quick response.

BTW, after seeing the WG article with you as featured cc, I checked out your You Tube channel - some cool vids.

wasaabi #4 Posted 13 March 2019 - 11:39 PM

This Dude Abides

• Senior Moderator
  • 22308 battles
  • [HMB] HMB

From the Wiki:

"The Firefighting Skill improves the crew member's ability to put out a fire, should a vehicle ever be unlucky enough to be in such a situation. The Firefighting Skill takes effect immediately when the vehicle catches fire. The higher the Training Level for this Skill, the faster a fire is put out and the less the amount of damage per second the fire does to the vehicle before it is extinguished. The Firefighting Skill does NOT reduce the chances of a vehicle catching on fire in the first place. The Firefighting Skill is a common Skill which each one of the crew members on a single vehicle may acquire. The effective Firefighting Skill Training Level is averaged across the entire crew. If only one crewman in a crew of 4 has this Skill at 80% Training Level then the effectiveness upon the vehicle's fire fighting performance is (80+0+0+0)/4 or 20%.

Firefighting Skills are more useful for large vehicles that can stand to take some damage before being utterly destroyed, but purchasing the player controlled and consumable Manual or Automatic Fire Extinguisher is generally more effective in preventing fire from spreading to other modules or destroying the vehicle"

Note the bolded part.

The Dude abides.

Spoiler

mrdoobie #5 Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:20 AM

Private

• 6859 battles
  • [GUARD] GUARD

The extinguisher is the consumable most often dropped to free a slot for food. And there's always the chance to get set alight again before the extinguisher recharges (FV215b).

I don't disagree that the extingusiher is the most effective protection against fire, and that dropping it is a risk. It then comes down to how you manage that risk - somewhere between no fire protection at all (and accept you'll most likely burn to the ground if you get set alight), through to having 100% FF on all crew, FF Directive, BIA, Food, Vents, Preventative Maintenance perk on Driver, and Fill Tanks with CO2 consumable (costing a driver skill\perk, directive slot, equipment slot - or 2 if you weren't already running vents).

I've never considered using Preventative Maintenance perk or Fill Tanks with CO2 - do many people (or anyone) use these?

stewiejp #6 Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:16 AM

#GetOnBoard

• Community Contributor
  • 44071 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

Thanks Mr Doobie - appreciate it!

Preventative Maintenance/CO2 - Would not recommend it, doubt many others would either with so many better options available for crew skills, perks and equipment. 

#GetOnBoard Studios  -  Where the magic happens - www.youtube.com/c/stewiejp   www.twitch.tv/stewiejp  

Angmar_ #7 Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:34 AM

Corporal

• 20525 battles
  • [-RGB-] -RGB-

It really depends on the vehicle, tanks with 20% fire engines I run preventative maintenance early on a crew, tanks with 12% or 15% i'll consider it after they have a few other crew skills.

Some tanks (Russians) get set on fire pretty regularly, so I also like to give preventative maintenance to those tanks.

FramFramson #8 Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:52 AM

Major

• 43388 battles
  • [AVAST] AVAST

Engine fire isn't the only source of fire. The risk is actually more complicated than that, given that the fuel tanks being shot out is actually more common and is not affected by Preventative Maintenance, which DOES NOT apply to fuel tanks!

It also helps to know where your fuel tanks are on a tank if you're running anything but an AFE in the last slot. For instance, those notorious Chinese tanks with the fuel tank mounted just behind the LFP.  :facepalm:

Another thing you can do thanks to rechargable repair kits is to be aggressive about repairing a damaged fuel tank, if you know your tank is a firetrap and you think the recharge time is a decent gamble based on the current combat situation.

LT-playing masochist. It's too much fun to be a mosquito.

Angmar_ #9 Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:01 AM

Corporal

• 20525 battles
  • [-RGB-] -RGB-
All I know is that the Obj 260 is made of fuel tanks. Get shot in the rear, that's a fuel tank, shot from the front?, that's a fuel tank, shot from the sides? you better believe that's a fuel tank!

Puggsley #10 Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:11 AM

Captain

• 67696 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-
Spaced armour Ang, sheesh you gotta look at it half full mate.....

Ezz #11 Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:14 AM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 67774 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostPuggsley, on 15 March 2019 - 10:11 AM, said:

Spaced armour Ang, sheesh you gotta look at it half full mate.....

Odd saying that. I never really knew which way to approach it. Half full implies that someone short filled you, probably thru bad head management or shitty tap skills. While half empty sounds like you've already had half of it, so at the very least you're half a beer in.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

Angmar_ #12 Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:16 AM

Corporal

• 20525 battles
  • [-RGB-] -RGB-
I do enjoy playing it, but I wouldn't mind, if on occasion, it didn't lose a fuel tank to every pen ;D

Puggsley #13 Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:47 AM

Captain

• 67696 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

View PostEzz, on 15 March 2019 - 10:14 AM, said:

Odd saying that. I never really knew which way to approach it. Half full implies that someone short filled you, probably thru bad head management or shitty tap skills. While half empty sounds like you've already had half of it, so at the very least you're half a beer in.

I'm heading to the pub for lunch to ponder this. 

On the one hand my mate owns the pub, so rarely paying for beer is good. On the other I am the "customer" for the learners behind the bar so head management is often wanting.

MrSnuffleupagus #14 Posted 16 March 2019 - 03:53 PM

Private

• 316 battles

View PostEzz, on 15 March 2019 - 08:14 AM, said:

Or just accept that the glass is the wrong size.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users