Whats the ping like on the SEA server. Is it playable

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

jerrek1 #1 Posted 10 April 2019 - 12:34 PM

Corporal

• 3644 battles

Hello,

I would prefer to play during the day sometimes but obviously there is not enough players on the aussie server. My ping on the aussie server is about 30 and for the SEA server the drop down suggests 240 odd although I have never loaded through and tried it out. My question is for anybody who may play on that server. Is it playable do you lose to much playability.

Thanks in advance.

Ezz #2 Posted 10 April 2019 - 12:41 PM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 68705 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Where from?

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

Puggsley #3 Posted 10 April 2019 - 01:13 PM

Captain

• 68638 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

Just have a go and see, one game will not hurt anything.

I am based in Newcastle and get 20ish to ANZ and 130 to HK. Over the last month it has gone up to 190 on the very odd occasion. 

The ping is easy to adjust to, but packet loss is the killer. I find packet loss is rarely an issue to HK for me, interestingly late last week the packet loss on the ANZ server was huge while playing advances.

I play the HK server because you spend a lot less time in queue, and anecdotally there is a lot more same tier and +1 tier MM, certainly appears like this for tier 8. but you should note I don't play a lot on ANZ so its just my feelings rather than any hard data. I do find that one good platoon on the ANZ server tends to make a huge difference because you will tend to see them over and over due to the shallow pool of players.  

Overall its very playable, the slightly higher ping is offset by more game time.

I don't really notice a big change in game play up to 200 ping, as long as you modify your game play a little. Generally less snapshot type play as ping goes up. High RoF tanks are impacted the most, arty and tanks relying on scouting the least.

Angus775n #4 Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:41 PM

Sergeant

• 60748 battles
  • [PRC] PRC
Should be fine. I play during the day on HK and in the evening after about 5 PM on ANZ. I tend not to run fast light tanks when I am on HK, I have enough trouble driving normally without adding that extra ping.

jerrek1 #5 Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:42 AM

Corporal

• 3644 battles

Thanks guys I will give it a try. I think they changed the mm on aussie server some time back as I have never seen +2 match making. My highest vehicle is tier 7 so that may be why.

Cheers

jerrek1 #6 Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:15 AM

Corporal

• 3644 battles

I finally managed to get one game in hong kong server (I had an incident involving a bicycle, me and a kangaroo which has left me injured and unable to play at all). My ping was 230 +- a bit. Not ideal but it seemed playable although you certainly would not want to need much snap shooting. 

Of interest was the very strange game I had tier six match making. North side or erlenberg I took my stug to little island on the west to spot and maybe take shots. One the west side of the map there was me in my stug,  a t25 in the centre town area and an m4 with a 75 mm which followed me to the island. All others went east and mainly seemed to set up in the td area.

The m4 set up and the back of the island and then did not move tank or gun until an enemy shot it from about 10 meters. I swear it must have been a bot. The behaviour was so weird. I was spotting in front of it and arty was coming down tanks were entering the river and climbing the island and it made no moves at all. The m4 ended the game with one shot. 

I got in 2 shots whilst being targeted by at least one arty  plus at least 4 enemy tanks before I was dead. Not much I could do. No one went to the castle area. 

Somehow my team one. I have never seen such a weird setup on anz server let alone a win. Within 20 seconds of the start I though we had lost already due to the poor distribution. Is this normal on the sea server. I mainly play tiers 5 and 6 on the anz server at this point and normally half the players have 1 or multiple 10000's of games. 

Gordo_G #7 Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:06 PM

Corporal

• 41219 battles
  • [_RB_] _RB_

In Auckland (see, not hard to mention location...) I get ~30mS to ANZ and ~150mS to HK.

Funny thing it, that is better than a lot of my Aussie clan-mates get, on either server.

Regarding packet loss, check who else in using your connection - if others in the house are watching, or downloading high band-width data, it will definitely hit the packets, even though ping may be acceptable.

If practical, try using a cable - some MODEMs prioritise them, check if there is a QOS option - they can prioritise traffic too and from specified IP addresses.

jerrek1 #8 Posted 26 April 2019 - 06:00 AM

Corporal

• 3644 battles
I live in east Victoria and for whatever reason 240 ping was all I could achieve. Didn't seem good enough to play or at least all my results were bad. Maybe in a month or 2 I will give it another go. 

mr_rotary #9 Posted 04 May 2019 - 08:22 AM

Corporal

• 20891 battles
  • [-KO-] -KO-

Trying to play on the HK server from WA but it's horrid. On a good day ~130 ping but many drop-outs.

AUS server, there is no one there no matter what time of day I try to get into a game unless playing lower tiers and bots.

Bring back the Singapore server, ping was far better.

Righteous_End #10 Posted 04 June 2019 - 10:38 AM

Sergeant

• 20734 battles
  • [DREAM] DREAM

View PostGordo_G, on 25 April 2019 - 02:06 PM, said:

In Auckland (see, not hard to mention location...) I get ~30mS to ANZ and ~150mS to HK.

Funny thing it, that is better than a lot of my Aussie clan-mates get, on either server.

Regarding packet loss, check who else in using your connection - if others in the house are watching, or downloading high band-width data, it will definitely hit the packets, even though ping may be acceptable.

If practical, try using a cable - some MODEMs prioritise them, check if there is a QOS option - they can prioritise traffic too and from specified IP addresses.

WoW you get better ping than I do and I'm in Australia... I get about 45ping AU and 200-220 HK

I only like playing on the AU server because the ping is much better.

PleaseDontPushMyTOG #11 Posted 09 June 2019 - 04:53 PM

Staff sergeant

• 9169 battles

DO NOT PLAY ON THE AUSSIE SERVER!!!!

Bad players!!!

Play on the Asian server, much better players and the chance to win.

Edited by PleaseDontPushMyTOG, 09 June 2019 - 04:54 PM.

Ezz #12 Posted 09 June 2019 - 05:23 PM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 68705 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostPleaseDontPushMyTOG, on 09 June 2019 - 06:53 PM, said:

Bad players!!!

You realise if you are winning more on one server that it indicates that server has worse players right?

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

IMC_Stewy #13 Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:34 AM

Corporal

• 18892 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

View PostPleaseDontPushMyTOG, on 09 June 2019 - 04:53 PM, said:

Bad players!!!

Thats odd, I find it the opposite. Although the problem I have with the HK server is different. The playstyle is way too slow, players will sit at the back for the entire game even if the game is about to draw. I prefer the up-front gameplay of the aussie server, sniping and being passive is boring to me. But Play style is completely player-choice, if you're a player who likes to sit back and wait for the enemies to make the mistakes then HK would be better. The servers have very little difference in player skill

Holo_The_Wise_Wolf_ #14 Posted 28 July 2019 - 03:14 PM

Private

• 6310 battles
  • [LJ90] LJ90
located in Brisbane. if u use 4g hotspot its like 160-200ping. if u use NBN, its like 120-150 ping. 

AKASHA178 #15 Posted 28 July 2019 - 06:01 PM

Smurfette

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 36982 battles
  • [-ONE-] -ONE-
u guys saying 150 and 250 is hard to play im playing with 400 to 450 even on cw (in Germany since 2018)

In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him.

more than 400 new vehicles are still planned for World of Tanks

camoclaw #16 Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:38 AM

Private

• 1076 battles
  • [KIWI] KIWI
south island NZ, 80 on ANZ,180/200  HK, just played a T3 light and it worked,  great i dont have to wait til 8pm to play a T6,T7 or T8

jerrek1 #17 Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:06 AM

Corporal

• 3644 battles

when I started this thread I was getting 250 ping and it was unplayable (probably lost packets as well). Then one day I improved to mostly between 130-150 ms which Is quite playable. I suppose sometimes I am at a disadvantage but for a not particularly great player like me I don't notice the difference. Lack of que times is fantastic of course. 

I think at tiers 5- 6 the Aussie server has a stronger level of play and it is simply probably because it is so difficult to play low tiers 1- 4 that few people are starting are there are a lot of very experienced players at tiers 4 - 6. It is really noticeable on SEA at tiers 5 and 6 (I mostly play  5 - 7 at the moment ftp) you get lots of everyone goes one way games which normally indicates not many people reading the mini map and just going to the same spot regardless of the battle conditions. 

I started during the Christmas school holidays last year on Aus which was probably a good thing as there was more players and i think they had just brought in the bots at low tier but I find the experience more fun on SEA with quicker ques, more time during the day you can play and more vehicle variety (I also find the playing group to be less toxic although perhaps I miss some of the toxic chat because some of it is in different languages).

Puggsley #18 Posted 26 September 2019 - 02:55 PM

Captain

• 68638 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

Anyone know of any data about game time length? Would be good to get a handle on how long games go for (proxy for campiness) between ANZ and HK servers.

I play mostly HK, but I've played a lot more on ANZ of late. It feels a lot more campy on ANZ server, I cannot remember any games on HK where players have decided 5 minutes from time that its OK to wait out a draw rather than try for a win. Bouncing missions are easier on ANZ for sure because you can keep them at range. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users