Remove Encounter Mode from Tournaments

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Poll: Encounter Mode (3 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 20 battles in order to participate this poll.

Should there be Encounter Mode in Tournaments?

1. Yes (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. No (3 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Hide poll

Napalmer #1 Posted 23 April 2019 - 07:05 PM

Objectionable Individual

• Community Contributor
  • 46932 battles
  • [YETI] YETI

If you're a regular tournament player, you'll know that the majority of them feature Encounter mode.

This mode is horrible for tournaments for a few reasons:

• If both teams rush for the cap, they can both camp it out with no penalty
  • If one team rushes the cap, the others can use the entire of the map to reset, and run away, forcing a draw.
  • The time to cap the base is way too long in team sizes larger than two. It is near impossible to win by cap.

So, what's the solution?

Attack/Defence mode.

This mode has been used in tournaments for ages and is a perfect way to run even 1v1s, as it is impossible to camp and protect both bases at the same time for the defender.

The only criticism it has received, is that you have a 50% chance of being the defending team (which is arguably easier for weaker teams).

I would much rather luck decide what side I am on, than have either forced draws or camp-fests in encounter, but I'm interested what the community thinks.

3-Marked Tanks: Chaffee, Pz. T25 T37, Hellcat, WZ-131G FT, AMX 12T, Cromwell, Skoda T25, SU-100, WZ-131G FT, IS-3, T-54, T-10, T57 Heavy, Object 140, IS-7, E100, Maus, Centurion Action X, Super Conqueror,

AMX 50BSTB-1

Signature 

The smell of Napalm...                           

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #2 Posted 23 April 2019 - 07:59 PM

Blue Mountain Aoyama

• Beta-Tester
  • 73792 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY
Double encounter

Noobs don't snipe because they are good at snipe; noobs snipe because they can't do anything else / People don't lose because they lemming; people lemming because they are losers

Do not confuse team strength with individual strength; a single enemy killed in a 1v3 is worth more than two enemies killed in a 4v2 / Lanchester's Square Law predicts in a 2v1, the side with 2 will end with 1.5 tanks remaining, so if you won with less than that remaining, you're actually noob, not pro

When you are not losing because you outnumber the enemy, your other flank is losing because they are outnumbered; it's just math

Law of mirror: When you are holding a 1v6 against the enemy, you own team is also getting 6v1 held by the enemy

Noob self-balancing theory: When you release a good tank, enough noobs will flood to play it, until the server stats become average again

Vindictus_Maximus #3 Posted 23 April 2019 - 09:11 PM

Corporal

• 4544 battles

View PostNapalmer, on 23 April 2019 - 07:05 PM, said:

I would much rather luck decide what side I am on, than have either forced draws or camp-fests in encounter, but I'm interested what the community thinks.

You can just do a cap reset and run away with this mode as well, luck needs to be taken out of it.

The simple solution that is fair is encounter mode, with each team having a cap point counter. In the event of a draw, the team with the most cap points wins. Best of three.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users