Gameplay changed (or ruined) by mods

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #1 Posted 14 May 2019 - 12:04 PM

Blue Mountain Aoyama

• Beta-Tester
  • 74856 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY

Let's reminisce the old days and how gameplay was different before mods that provided advantage made their way into the official client.

I'll start:

Penetration indication marker. The old marker was pretty much useless since it does not consider angle or spaced armor. So it is up to the player's knowledge - Example: is VK4502B LFP pennable with gold?, or calculation: Can the sidescraping HT be penned from the side?

And because nobody really knows the answer, you have people trying to shoot at sidescrapers and anglers. Sometimes they work, sometimes not.

However there existed a mod that tells you the angle and calculates the penetration chance.

And now that mod has made it into the client.

So now you see a sidescraper? You see an AMX 49? You see an overbuffed cupola? You see the indicator red you don't even bother shooting, avoiding the dangers of a bounced shot. Armor becomes less useful, holding shots and camping becomes more common.

Noobs don't snipe because they are good at snipe; noobs snipe because they can't do anything else / People don't lose because they lemming; people lemming because they are losers

Do not confuse team strength with individual strength; a single enemy killed in a 1v3 is worth more than two enemies killed in a 4v2 / Lanchester's Square Law predicts in a 2v1, the side with 2 will end with 1.5 tanks remaining, so if you won with less than that remaining, you're actually noob, not pro

When you are not losing because you outnumber the enemy, your other flank is losing because they are outnumbered; it's just math

Law of mirror: When you are holding a 1v6 against the enemy, you own team is also getting 6v1 held by the enemy

Noob self-balancing theory: When you release a good tank, enough noobs will flood to play it, until the server stats become average again

The_average_tanker #2 Posted 14 May 2019 - 12:12 PM

Wallet warrior extraordinaire!

• 12952 battles
  • [F-S] F-S

While i try to avoid using mods, i am happy when useful mods get added to the game. How is this different from gold ammo? it gives an advantage in game to everyone, but some use it and some do not. So are we gonna request WG to return the "special" ammo for gold?

i personally hope WG introduces more QoL mods like auto return crew in to the game.

Personally i do not mind the change, means i need to spend less time on tanks.gg and can spend more time actually playing the game.

Edited by The_average_tanker, 14 May 2019 - 12:23 PM.

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #3 Posted 14 May 2019 - 12:43 PM

Blue Mountain Aoyama

• Beta-Tester
  • 74856 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY

Interesting point raised. Why doesn't WG allow mods that increase penetration for free. Why must it cost more.

So should mods cost money to use too.

Noobs don't snipe because they are good at snipe; noobs snipe because they can't do anything else / People don't lose because they lemming; people lemming because they are losers

Do not confuse team strength with individual strength; a single enemy killed in a 1v3 is worth more than two enemies killed in a 4v2 / Lanchester's Square Law predicts in a 2v1, the side with 2 will end with 1.5 tanks remaining, so if you won with less than that remaining, you're actually noob, not pro

When you are not losing because you outnumber the enemy, your other flank is losing because they are outnumbered; it's just math

Law of mirror: When you are holding a 1v6 against the enemy, you own team is also getting 6v1 held by the enemy

Noob self-balancing theory: When you release a good tank, enough noobs will flood to play it, until the server stats become average again

Angmar_ #4 Posted 14 May 2019 - 01:26 PM

Corporal

• 20612 battles
  • [-RGB-] -RGB-
I'm kinda disappointed I no longer have an advantage by being able to remember all the weak spots on all the tanks, but at the same time I'm kinda happy that I can just move the reticle around a tank and get a good idea of where to shoot and that other people don't need to view tanks.gg as much :P

Edited by Angmar_, 14 May 2019 - 01:28 PM.

The_average_tanker #5 Posted 14 May 2019 - 01:31 PM

Wallet warrior extraordinaire!

• 12952 battles
  • [F-S] F-S

View PostAngmar_, on 14 May 2019 - 10:56 AM, said:

I'm kinda disappointed I no longer have an advantage by being able to remember all the weak spots on all the tanks, but at the same time I'm kinda happy that I can just move the reticle around a tank and get a good idea of where to shoot and that other people don't need to view tanks.gg as much :P

I used to spend a lot of time on tanks.gg too. but with all the new tanks WG is adding and all the rebalances, it becomes cumbersome. Also though the reticle is useful it is not everything because RNG can still end up saying no.

View PostAoyama_Blue_Mountain, on 14 May 2019 - 10:13 AM, said:

Interesting point raised. Why doesn't WG allow mods that increase penetration for free. Why must it cost more.

So should mods cost money to use too.

I wonder how you got to paying for mods and mods for increased pen from my comment. :confused:

MagicalFlyingFox #6 Posted 14 May 2019 - 02:36 PM

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW

• Beta-Tester
  • 32540 battles
  • [YETI] YETI

Once you've developed a good baseline knowledge of all the weakspots on tanks, anything else in the future is found through looking at the armour models that are released in the patch discussion threads. 

At least that's how it is when you have been playing for a long time. 

http://www.theuselessweb.com/

A. Guy on 02 June 2018 - 12:40 AM, said:

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW... says it all about you.

FramFramson #7 Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:03 AM

Major

• 43461 battles
  • [AVAST] AVAST

I mean, that's fair, but I too am glad I don't need to look up tanks on tanks.gg anymore and it's one less thing to waste mindspace on under pressure in-game.

And the indicator is far from a guarantee anyway, due to enemy movement, latency (matters a lot when shooting smaller weakspots), and the plain old excessive RNG we all know and love.

LT-playing masochist. It's too much fun to be a mosquito.

Jurrunio #8 Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:26 PM

First lieutenant

• 18036 battles
  • [-AW-] -AW-
It's not like WG reward players for aiming weakspots. Otherwise they wont be nerfing the dispersion within the reticule twice ever since super heavies became more than just the Maus, KV-4 and KV-5.

How can armor in the game be stronger?

Make shell fly wide more, and let RNG control that.

MagicalFlyingFox #9 Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:46 PM

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW

• Beta-Tester
  • 32540 battles
  • [YETI] YETI
How did you ever play the game before the original dispersion change then? 

http://www.theuselessweb.com/

A. Guy on 02 June 2018 - 12:40 AM, said:

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW... says it all about you.

Puggsley #10 Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:51 PM

Captain

• 68014 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-
Jesus I have only really even noticed the penetration indicator. I always forget to use it. I mean always. 

CardinalMite #11 Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:00 PM

Captain

• 29196 battles
Honestly with 25% RNG, half the time the indicator is meaningless.
“Holiday ops is balanced for Asia because a good player opening 11 boxes will get just as many decorations as a noob opening 75..”—.Murazor new head of global festive events.

Puggsley #12 Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:07 PM

Captain

• 68014 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

My penetator indicator was full green after getting the first kill in this game, 1 shot full health 263 :)

http://wotreplays.eu/site/4891223#erlenberg-puggsley-vk_100_01_p

Jezzalenko1978 #13 Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:48 PM

Staff sergeant

• 38427 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

View PostCardinalMite, on 17 May 2019 - 03:30 PM, said:

Honestly with 25% RNG, half the time the indicator is meaningless.

^^^This..... dayum RNG.......  It does help with calculating sidescrape angling, rather than by eye, but shit, If it's a close call or a tight shot RNGesus slappeth away most of it anyways as it is calculated to the exact centre of the reticle, even if your shot only deviates by 5% that can change to angle anyways.  Still really a guide, knowledge of weak spots still is most important IMO

This "mod" came into the vanilla client over a year ago yeah?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users