Changes for CW, Campaigns and Advances.

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Twit_ #21 Posted 25 July 2019 - 07:05 PM

69 Recognized

• 19671 battles
  • [DUCKY] DUCKY

View PostHoPeY_, on 25 July 2019 - 05:06 PM, said:

But it is disappointing for the group having to lose battles. I don't know how to fix this.

Recognise that that you have a problem and ask for help to fix those problems, be it focus fire, calling targets, rotation on the map, listening to the calls or just simple player skill. I know there are people that are willing to help other clans in need, but that comes with respect for each other. Unfortunately Hopey due to your history a lot people that are in a position to mentor don't want to help you because they don't respect you or whatever clan you may be in. And that's something maybe you should think about and make a change for the future. I am sorry if that sounds harsh but to others it's a truth. Best of luck for the next CW event, maybe things will come out better for you then. 

The mindset you need to improve

WHY DO THEY CALL IT OVEN WHEN YOU OF IN THE COLD FOOD OF OUT HOT EAT THE FOOD 

HoPeY_ #22 Posted 25 July 2019 - 07:38 PM

Major

• 104491 battles
  • [DETOX] DETOX
Now that answer did not address the issue at all.

Ezz #23 Posted 25 July 2019 - 08:20 PM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 73775 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostHoPeY_, on 25 July 2019 - 07:01 PM, said:

Actually if you meet a similar team tier 8's would be fine. Cause they'd have them too. This is how it use to be, tier 10 CW but any tier fine. Got people involved, then grinding.

This gets at an interesting discussion point.

CW in its early days was when the game was new and CW itself was a great end game goal. Most players were new, had one or two 10s if they were lucky and especially in the early days of sea CW, having a decent 8 or a 9 could be acceptable in a pinch. The concept of tank choice wasn't really something the callers had to worry about. People on NA would get recruited to competitive clans purely because they had a ten. My early CW experience was in an is4 as an arty magnet. I ground my arse off for a bat so i didn't have to do that any more.

But the point here is that that was then, and this is now. WG have a situation where the entry requirement to being competitive in CW is far higher. It needs to be owing to the time passed and CW tanks ground since then - look at what the VN infusion caused where most of them had a plethora of tanks already. Tank locking didn't make a difference when they had a garage full of cut price 10s to play with.

The crux is that if you diminish the efforts of the competitive clans by handing out prizes to the also rans, you'll kill the top end and competitive CW dies. If you don't address the concerns of those newer to CW, there is less uptake, the grass roots die and CW dies in the longer term. And we can only assume this is why they had tier 8 CW. Almost zero grind entry requirement to be competitive from a tank perspective and a format which emulates upper tier CW.

So getting back to it, the key to WG - what changed from those early days? Two things imo - one in line with your thread - the rewards. At the time i started, there were no other sources of gold. As a ftp player things as simple as demounting equipment were either pay cash or CW. That was it. Now you can get gold from quite a few places. There's FLs nowadays, and hell, at one point there was a mission that was handing out 50 gold a day or something. Gold alone started lacking its original luster. Then as time went buy, the game itself shifted away from its ftp roots to one where (at least imo) more people invest cash. For those that put cash in, CW gold was also had far less allure. I remember when the AUS CO mentioned they were taking it easy on CW because realistically working your arse off for $5 worth of gold just wasn't worth it. As much as we needed them as an ally i couldn't argue with that logic.

The second thing that changed from my perspective related to the clans themselves. Early on it was fun, challenging and new for everyone in your clan. Talking strats and training was something you'd do for enjoyment. Gradually this got older for everyone. The CW meta could be stale at times (same maps, same opponents, same tanks). Campaigns spiced things up for a period with an exciting new format, rule set and rewards, but boy oh boy did they suck the life out of you. The time effort and frustration to compete in were next level. But then so were the rewards. Getting an m60 was a genuine buzz. But as a clan leader the challenge of battles during campaigns became secondary. Just trying to keep the clan from imploding was the main concern. Granted we haven't had a crack at the last few camps, but by the sounds this hasn't changed a great deal. And then the real kicker imo was when CW shifted to 2.0. CW no longer was a let's do a battle or two a night, it became a far more intensive time and effort affair. And yet, back to point 1, the rewards weren't substantially different.

So what now? Given our server numbers i doubt WG can even cater to both ends of the CW spectrum nor are they likely to suddenly start investing more gold into it. We don't have enough clans and competition for both ends to stay viable. The next move i presume will be down to how WG feel they'll get their best ROI on. Hopefully that is something, and not simply a killing off of CW as they did of other competitive elements like esports.

Edited by Ezz, 25 July 2019 - 08:26 PM.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

MagicalFlyingFox #24 Posted 25 July 2019 - 08:33 PM

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW

• Beta-Tester
  • 35461 battles
  • [ATLUS] ATLUS

Another campaign end, another whinge thread, rehashing the same points.

- Top clans apparently still don't put in effort

- little clans aren't getting as many rewards

- where is my walled garden?!?!?!?!111

WG are at least attempting to take steps to improve CW as End game content.

Sorry, had a sudden urge to emphasise that.

http://www.theuselessweb.com/

A. Guy on 02 June 2018 - 12:40 AM, said:

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW... says it all about you.

Vindictus_Maximus #25 Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:37 AM

Sergeant

• 9404 battles
  • [BAMF] BAMF

View PostMagicalFlyingFox, on 25 July 2019 - 08:33 PM, said:

Another campaign end, another whinge thread, rehashing the same points.

- Top clans apparently still don't put in effort

- little clans aren't getting as many rewards

I think they are pointing out the problem is getting worse, some changes/solutions are needed. And who ever said CWs is/should be end game content? CWs is something that should be used as a tool by Wargaming to keep people logging in, regardless of what their skill level is, or what tanks they own.

The fact is that discord/teamspeak channels die at the end of a CWs season, and these people do not just go play randoms instead, they stop playing and while a percentage of them drift back the next season, a lot never return at all.  

CWs can be end game content, but it can/should also be social/fun content for the casual player too. Active clans keep people coming back and logging in, unicums and scrubs alike, 16million points for TEAL is a pretty good sign that the clan system is terminally ill and needs treatment and soon

Vindictus_Maximus #26 Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:55 AM

Sergeant

• 9404 battles
  • [BAMF] BAMF

View PostEzz, on 25 July 2019 - 08:20 PM, said:

The crux is that if you diminish the efforts of the competitive clans by handing out prizes to the also rans, you'll kill the top end and competitive CW dies. If you don't address the concerns of those newer to CW, there is less uptake, the grass roots die and CW dies in the longer term. And we can only assume this is why they had tier 8 CW. Almost zero grind entry requirement to be competitive from a tank perspective and a format which emulates upper tier CW.

I think if they reduced tier8 CWs to 7vs7, and banned top clans from competing in it, that would be a helpful.

Another would be get rid of multipliers and limit reward tanks per clan to 20. Create the prize pool per clan, and then divide that prize pool evenly among all clan members regardless of how many games they play and that will also give an incentive to have leaner/smaller clans,   This will create friction within clans, some not getting picked and missing the chance of reward tanks, will get salty join/form a different clan and then you will see clans like TEAL and YETI bust up into a bunch of smaller clans, which then brings the middle cans into contention. You will probably see real clan rivalry begin again, the clans forums might come back to life.

The players in the top clans will hate this idea because they want the rewards the easy way, and frankly they would prefer banding together to club weak clans that have to fight against each other. But the greater good should prevail

There are a heap of player out there just like me that are keend to start playing CWs again, but wont under this broken system, Bust up the big clans into dozens of competing clans, and suddenly you have a genuine competition again, one that players like me might come back and play in

Edited by Vindictus_Maximus, 26 July 2019 - 07:55 AM.

jumphonner #27 Posted 26 July 2019 - 08:11 AM

First lieutenant

• 62508 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

View PostVindictus_Maximus, on 26 July 2019 - 09:55 AM, said:

I think if they reduced tier8 CWs to 7vs7, and banned top clans from competing in it, that would be a helpful.

Another would be get rid of multipliers and limit reward tanks per clan to 20. Create the prize pool per clan, and then divide that prize pool evenly among all clan members regardless of how many games they play and that will also give an incentive to have leaner/smaller clans,   This will create friction within clans, some not getting picked and missing the chance of reward tanks, will get salty join/form a different clan and then you will see clans like TEAL and YETI bust up into a bunch of smaller clans, which then brings the middle cans into contention. You will probably see real clan rivalry begin again, the clans forums might come back to life.

The players in the top clans will hate this idea because they want the rewards the easy way, and frankly they would prefer banding together to club weak clans that have to fight against each other. But the greater good should prevail

There are a heap of player out there just like me that are keend to start playing CWs again, but wont under this broken system, Bust up the big clans into dozens of competing clans, and suddenly you have a genuine competition again, one that players like me might come back and play in

Banning the guds. That makes sense. Much better than a participation medal, just get rid of the blokes who beat me and I might become the new gud.

Limit clans to 20 players? So instead of 1 Teal, you will get 5 Teals. The guds will still tend to flock together.

As the owner of all the Tier 10 tanks, i'd love to see tank locking but then there would be blokes in my clan missing out whilst they wait for their tanks to unlock.

Given that it is 50 years since a man walked on the moon we need to remember JFK's famous words "We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard"

Unfortunately in the early 21st century our culture prefers the easy way, rather than the hard way.

We are so soft. Soft of mind, soft of body, soft of will.

Boo hoo, I didnt get a pixel tank.

Boo hoo, I didnt try to get a pixel tank because Im a skrub. It is so unfair. I deserve a pixel tank.

Purveyor of Misinformation, Infamous BOT, Seal Clubber, Stat Padder and Skrublord. Mates of the Corrupt and The Sage of Asia ™.

2 MoE: 212A, M53/M55, Eagle 7, SU100, KV220-2, KV1, Churchill III, Matilda IV, SU85i, T14, Ram II, M4A2E4, T67, Excelsior

Occasionally seen on StewieJP TV. #getonboard

https://www.twitch.tv/jumphonner

Ezz #28 Posted 26 July 2019 - 08:22 AM

• Beta-Tester
  • 73775 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Arbitrary clan size limits would be a double edged sword. In theory it would create more clans and competition but it would also create a bunch more burn out. One of the benefits of larger clans is that you can spread the load. In addition to the broader aspects of actually being in a big active clan - chat, tooning and all that jazz. So while it may improve the situation for small clans of good player (and as jump noted, small clans of not so competitive players would still struggle), it would also cause a range of other negatives not directly CW related. Which points to the fact that clans as a game structure aren't simply about CW. They are about building a sense of community.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

HoPeY_ #29 Posted 26 July 2019 - 09:32 AM

Major

• 104491 battles
  • [DETOX] DETOX
I like the idea of reducing the amount of tokens per clan. Wonder if multipliers etc should go too?

Angmar_ #30 Posted 26 July 2019 - 10:01 AM

Corporal

• 20618 battles

I think the main issue my clan had this campaign was about the difficulty of trying to get games on the advanced front this time around.

They changed the number of clans that can land on the advanced front down to 16 teams, which whilst not a problem in theory, changed the auction costs for landing on the advanced front.

So, where previously we could bid a reasonable amount to make a landing in the previous campaign for example, a win on the advanced front returned more points than you likely bid (except maybe on the last day), with 2 or 3 wins giving a good profit. In this last campaign, bids to land on the advanced front were costing far more than you received for winning a game on the advanced front, even to the extent that you would still make a loss after 3 or more wins. Basically, if you had a slow start in the first few days, weren't able to invest in clan boosters, there was no way to compete for games, attempts to earn fame on the advanced front to earn our players tanks cost more than they rewarded.

The main change I would like to see in that regard is to remove the auction system and just set in place a set cost for landing on the advanced or elite fronts and just first in first served like on the basic front. If it costs 2k or more fame points to play a game, but you get back 500 for a win, how is a clan supposed to progress?

MagicalFlyingFox #31 Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:38 PM

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW

• Beta-Tester
  • 35461 battles
  • [ATLUS] ATLUS

View PostVindictus_Maximus, on 26 July 2019 - 10:37 AM, said:

I think they are pointing out the problem is getting worse, some changes/solutions are needed. And who ever said CWs is/should be end game content? CWs is something that should be used as a tool by Wargaming to keep people logging in, regardless of what their skill level is, or what tanks they own.

The fact is that discord/teamspeak channels die at the end of a CWs season, and these people do not just go play randoms instead, they stop playing and while a percentage of them drift back the next season, a lot never return at all.  

CWs can be end game content, but it can/should also be social/fun content for the casual player too. Active clans keep people coming back and logging in, unicums and scrubs alike, 16million points for TEAL is a pretty good sign that the clan system is terminally ill and needs treatment and soon

TEAL this campaign was literally 3 of the top 4 best clans on the server merging. If anyone expected the results to be any different, they are dreaming.

CW died because of WG's mistreatment of it for a few years. Expecting it to come back quickly is pure fantasy. We lost that critical mass of players where you can have serious clans and semi-casual clans in the tail end of CW1.0, with tank locking, Vietnamese botted tier 10 transfers from dead VN server and chip spam clans. CW2.0 and the fracturing of the map made the final nail in the coffin.

Its not like WG aren't trying to fix CW. They have been and most improvements have kept some population actually playing. For WG, CW changes quite quickly. The problem is you need enough population to make any of the suggestions here to work. In some cases, the suggestions just won't work. Walling off maps for skill levels for eg. Our population is small enough as it is that all walling of skill levels will do, like what it did before, is/was make clans capable of stealing wins off the top clans drop down where they can dominate.

Then the top clans stay at the top because the clans capable of stealing wins aren't exposing themselves to better teams and aren't improving, so the top echelon dwindles due to lack of activity and player bleed because last season was boring.

Its quite literally skill-based MM.

In another note, must be nice to fight multiple different clans.

Oh look, a battle popped. Who is it against?

Oh look, its TEAL.

Hey, we have doubles popped.

Oh great, which one do we fill first?

The one against TEAL.

Which one?

e: too many commas,,,,

Edited by MagicalFlyingFox, 26 July 2019 - 01:41 PM.

HoPeY_ #32 Posted 26 July 2019 - 02:36 PM

Major

• 104491 battles
  • [DETOX] DETOX

Top 3 things that have killed CW IMHO:

Lack of rewards compared to the old days.

Inability to pick fair fights (could to a better degree in the past).

Lack of low tier tanks in high tier games (for those filling out the numbers)

pr154 #33 Posted 26 July 2019 - 06:39 PM

Sergeant

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 25210 battles
  • [FIDDY] FIDDY

View PostMagicalFlyingFox, on 26 July 2019 - 03:38 PM, said:

Walling off maps for skill levels for eg. Our population is small enough as it is that all walling of skill levels will do, like what it did before, is/was make clans capable of stealing wins off the top clans drop down where they can dominate.

Then the top clans stay at the top because the clans capable of stealing wins aren't exposing themselves to better teams and aren't improving, so the top echelon dwindles due to lack of activity and player bleed because last season was boring.

Its quite literally skill-based MM.

I appreciate the "walled garden" model is fundamentally flawed for the reasons you describe, and it doesn't work without an escalation of rewards driving an aspiration to improve. I would hope that such a calibration would ensure an aspirational approach to Clan Wars. After all, there's no point dominating a pile of turds, because all you get is a pile of turds. I would suggest that developing clans probably argue they don't have a problem with skill-based matchmaking

MagicalFlyingFox #34 Posted 26 July 2019 - 08:49 PM

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW

• Beta-Tester
  • 35461 battles
  • [ATLUS] ATLUS

View Postpr154, on 26 July 2019 - 09:39 PM, said:

I appreciate the "walled garden" model is fundamentally flawed for the reasons you describe, and it doesn't work without an escalation of rewards driving an aspiration to improve. I would hope that such a calibration would ensure an aspirational approach to Clan Wars. After all, there's no point dominating a pile of turds, because all you get is a pile of turds. I would suggest that developing clans probably argue they don't have a problem with skill-based matchmaking

Yes, WG's introduction of clan tasks is one avenue to reward CW participation. I haven't really paid attention to last season's mechanics so I'm unsure of the  magnitude of the rewards given by clan tasks.

There is skill-based MM in CW, which is based on clan ELO. Making it impossible to meet the opposite end of the spectrum or a different calibre of clan through a walled garden is also skill-based MM.

I don't really have much of a problem with the current ELO-based MM, its just annoying meeting only 1 other clan because the other 2 merged into it.

View PostHoPeY_, on 26 July 2019 - 05:36 PM, said:

Top 3 things that have killed CW IMHO:

Lack of rewards compared to the old days.

Inability to pick fair fights (could to a better degree in the past).

Lack of low tier tanks in high tier games (for those filling out the numbers)

Yes the lack of rewards is an issue. Its what happens when WG neglect CW, the population that play CW drop and WG act too late to salvage it.

The reason why you can't pick a fair fight as easily is because there are less clans as a whole participating because of various reasons like the above.

For filling out numbers, bringing in lower tier tanks is disadvantaging yourself. If you can't fill the minimum amount for a team with tier 10 tanks (let alone 9), the clan shouldn't be fighting that battle.
This is a fault of the clan's management and not of CW.

pr154 #35 Posted 26 July 2019 - 10:12 PM

Sergeant

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 25210 battles
  • [FIDDY] FIDDY

View PostMagicalFlyingFox, on 26 July 2019 - 10:49 PM, said:

I don't really have much of a problem with the current ELO-based MM, its just annoying meeting only 1 other clan because the other 2 merged into it.

If it's diversity you crave we would be absolutely delighted to have you join us in the next GM Campaign ;)

SLAV_ROBIN #36 Posted 26 July 2019 - 11:16 PM

Professional Runner Away-er

• 31326 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostVindictus_Maximus, on 26 July 2019 - 11:55 AM, said:

Listen, we love feedback. But considering you have no clan history here whats so ever at all, (unless your strangely someones alt and are posting to circumvent a ban) why is your mute points holding any validitity when you have (again on this account) 0... 0....0 games in clanwars related battles. Nor participation in any sort of clan

Like actual. If your not someones alt (if you are, seriously shame on you)

Why have you decided to join this section of forum discussions when you have no reason to reallly be here?

2nd Gen Pyromaniac, born of the ANZAS winds.......crazy commando of anzaf of old, and namer of BadIntent..

"He Bravely Ran, where no man would run..."

LOOK! a wild Robin appeared! "YIKES!!~~~RUN AWAY~~~~"

PBKAC, proudly Sponsored by the WGM

All_Deaths_Matter #37 Posted 28 July 2019 - 04:40 PM

Sergeant

• 50222 battles
  • [SUPER] SUPER
You're either improving or stagnating.  Trying to move the goalposts every time won't change your own repetitive experience.  Become the change you wish to see in the world. 

Vindictus_Maximus #38 Posted 29 July 2019 - 06:08 AM

Sergeant

• 9404 battles
  • [BAMF] BAMF

View PostSLAV_ROBIN, on 26 July 2019 - 11:16 PM, said:

Listen, we love feedback. But considering you have no clan history here whats so ever at all, (unless your strangely someones alt and are posting to circumvent a ban)

This is called an  ' ad hominem '

Used by people that cannot or dont want to actually discuss the issue Could it be that you have an agenda to keep the current failing system because it is to your advantage? 

In any case, stop drifting away with your ad hominems and stay on topic please.

Vindictus_Maximus #39 Posted 29 July 2019 - 06:30 AM

Sergeant

• 9404 battles
  • [BAMF] BAMF

View PostMagicalFlyingFox, on 26 July 2019 - 01:38 PM, said:

TEAL this campaign was literally 3 of the top 4 best clans on the server merging. If anyone expected the results to be any different, they are dreaming.

If you limit the amount of reward tanks, this will stop straight away.

The top clans will fracture into multiple smaller clans competing against each other. Suddenly a lot of these guys that just roll up and have other people call their games for them, will suddenly find they are no longer in their comfort zone. They will have to start calling their own games. recruit their own players, deal with leadership issues when their egos get bruised when beaten by players that were previously their teammates.

Once pulled out of their comfort zone, this will open opportunities for the middle clans to start giving some of these clans a bloody nose, a level playing field will invite new clans. Limit the rewards per clan, get rid of the multipliers, then you will have more clans competing, more players active in clans, and a far funner clan system

The leaderboard from the  Fire Trail really just highlighted that the current system is reaching rock bottom

Ezz #40 Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:19 AM

• Beta-Tester
  • 73775 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

So campaigns would be a considerably less enjoyable experience for lots of players. Good clans would still win the tanks. Bad clans would still get bugger all, but the campaign would be more annoying. Sounds like wg's idea of progress!

I think the crux of the issue is one you list. Bad clans feel the playing field isn't level. Yet that isn't their problem. Their problem is they haven't put in the effort that the better clans have. In effect what they want is not a level playing field, they want good clans to be handicapped to give them a chance.

Edited by Ezz, 29 July 2019 - 07:22 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users