Jump to content


Why Wheelies are broken and how to kill them


  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

CardinalMite #1 Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:13 AM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 33742 battles
  • 1,594
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
  • Member since:
    04-18-2014

Great YouTube from 4TankersandDog

 

https://youtu.be/2d44LZpHwCQ

 

He explains firstly how the whole wheel shields thing works and  why it is actually mainly a thing with the ebr75, ebr90 & ebr 105 and not really the tier 6,7 or tech tree tier 8.

 

He also talks about how using HE in particular on them is a bad idea because of 0mm spaced armour being a thing.

 

Finally he talks about why they break the game without necessarily being especially OP due to improved  autoaim and stupidly good otm dispersion.

 

Whether or not you agree with his analysis, there is some good info here on both playing wheelies and killing them.


“Holiday ops is balanced for Asia because a good player opening 11 boxes will get just as many decorations as a noob opening 75..”—.Murazor new head of global festive events.

 

"It's like you literally dont read your own posts, let alone others, make up instead what you wished others said, then put a non-sensical counter argument to that imagined post."

 

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience. But then if I limited myself to only arguing with non-idiots on these forums I'd literally never post"


Warhammer124 #2 Posted 29 July 2019 - 08:36 PM

    Representative of the anti drama organization

  • Member
  • 27160 battles
  • 122
  • [R4VEN] R4VEN
  • Member since:
    10-18-2012
Before being concerned about wheelies, could we just remove arty first? :hiding:

Edited by Warhammer124, 29 July 2019 - 08:41 PM.

Hippity Hoppity no drama lords on my property 

Righteous_End #3 Posted 30 July 2019 - 07:59 AM

    Sergeant

  • Member
  • 34295 battles
  • 140
  • [T_K] T_K
  • Member since:
    07-10-2016

Interesting Video... I think they just need to remove that stupid snap to auto-aim. 

Like he said, "for any other tank in the game it's classed as a cheat".

 

one rule for these and another for the rest. that's wrong!



mttspiii #4 Posted 31 July 2019 - 06:47 AM

    Major

  • Beta-Tester
  • 34862 battles
  • 17,362
  • [PVP] PVP
  • Member since:
    04-15-2012
Basically the best way to use HE to kill an EBR is, oddly enough, to miss. Shoot under the enemy LT and all wheels get damaged.

I'm fierce and I'm feeling mighty,

I'm a golden girl, I'm an Aphrodite

 

 


Vindictus_Maximus #5 Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:37 AM

    Sergeant

  • Member
  • 11105 battles
  • 164
  • [BAMF] BAMF
  • Member since:
    12-16-2017

View PostRighteous_End, on 30 July 2019 - 07:59 AM, said:

Interesting Video... I think they just need to remove that stupid snap to auto-aim. 

 

 

That snap auto-aim does not work in zoom mode. I played about 100 games in my EBR thinking the auto-aim did not work, even raised a ticket,  because I am constantly in zoom mode and it wont lock in zoom mode.

 

So to use it, you have to zoom right out, but then the target and all around is very small, and they duck behind obstacles ect and you miss the shot that you would have got if you stayed in zoom mode. Also it does not work well in close combat situations, you right click over and over and it wont lock on the opposing LT, but he is zoomed in on you and does lock on.

 

It can be a handy tool for sure, but it does have it's drawbacks.  



Ezz #6 Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:41 AM

    How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

  • Beta-Tester
  • 77064 battles
  • 37,592
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
  • Member since:
    07-17-2012

Are you running vanilla? There were issues with the wheelie auto lock and some mods early on.


Edited by Ezz, 31 July 2019 - 07:41 AM.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, Balance TM and the Cartoon Connection

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"


Lupi #7 Posted 07 March 2020 - 12:17 PM

    Staff sergeant

  • Member
  • 35076 battles
  • 361
  • [MUPET] MUPET
  • Member since:
    06-01-2013

interesting analysis into why the EBR 105 is broken...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDxoCxatjIk&t=2s


BANNED

Puggsley #8 Posted 15 March 2020 - 03:37 PM

    Major

  • Member
  • 76334 battles
  • 2,365
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-
  • Member since:
    04-03-2014

its not really analysis though.

 

Shooting them is just practise. After CW hitting 105s was relatively easy.



CodeBasher #9 Posted 11 April 2020 - 08:19 PM

    Corporal

  • Member
  • 5488 battles
  • 44
  • [MARD] MARD
  • Member since:
    04-15-2019
It would be a huge improvement if EBR wheels weren't made of 500mm armored unobtanium. It's becoming tedious watching 180MM Death Star rounds bounce off EBR 'rubber tyres'.

NameWasStolenStresslevel #10 Posted 11 April 2020 - 08:37 PM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 52712 battles
  • 1,681
  • Member since:
    01-19-2015

I am not saying to make light tank armors made of rubber instead of whats currently made of (whatever its made of anyway), just give all light tanks some rubber filled with air around their tanks, its light weight and better than titanium so it should be a good balancing factor..

 

Today on frontlines had quite few pleaseant occasions of rekting to pieces full HP whellies autoaiming my small turreted m41D on ridge lines while missing all shots either because their were autoaiming or not.  Its satsfying to see they respawning quickly their progetto/lynx to come hunt me down soon after they die. It happened enough times today in ridge lines for me to have a thought about it. They are only annoying to me like arty is, but they seem to have disavantage if they miss their 2 shots and have no where to run away to during ridge line fights and high dpm light tanks like the m41d (running in the open doenst count as running away to me)...

 

The problem is when they cross the ridge line and its 1v1 against them, you have to be concerned about trying to use tracks to absorb their HE autoloader and to carefully aim at the center body mass at the same time, while keeping your tank on the move, so that takes lots of concentration away from the surroundings while fighthing them. Differently from fighting any other tank, fighting ebr 1v1 while getting stuned/dmg by arty is one of the most experience arguing situatios on the game right now.

 


Edited by NameWasStolenStresslevel, 11 April 2020 - 08:50 PM.

Having META problems?

 #Hashtag break the META

     (HAHAGHa i must have drank somethin)

             https://worldoftanks.asia/en/hall-of-fame/vehicles/A100_T49/#wot&w_ts=overall&w_nb=500

         Currently Hall of Fame T49's number 1 in WTR!!! (parameters are *battles +500* and *since 2014's* ranking)


Ezz #11 Posted 11 April 2020 - 08:55 PM

    How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

  • Beta-Tester
  • 77064 battles
  • 37,592
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
  • Member since:
    07-17-2012
I didn't think hesh could bounce... Oh wait...

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, Balance TM and the Cartoon Connection

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"


Bushvanker #12 Posted 12 April 2020 - 08:47 AM

    Staff sergeant

  • Member
  • 11339 battles
  • 263
  • Member since:
    04-07-2019
Try hitting one with 200 ping - they are not where the game interface shows they are.  I bet the idiots at WG didn't take that into account (well except they are probably testing and playing it with next to 0 lag). Hitting one AND doing damage is not a skill but pure RNG.  I simply give up when I encounter one - just pointless trying to do anything else (bit like 3 arty games).  WG want to put 'anti-fun' elements in the game then they have to put up with the consequences.

s70blackhawk #13 Posted 12 April 2020 - 09:47 AM

    Even salt looks like sugar

  • Member
  • 24062 battles
  • 380
  • [-ADF-] -ADF-
  • Member since:
    06-15-2013

All they have to do to unbreak wheelies is reduce the turning circle. So they can't duck and weave as much in open terrain. And makes them even worse in a city map. Force them to have to 3 point turn in a laneway.

Force them to handbrake turn, thus slowing them down, to make tight turns. Either that, make them roll over if you can't reduce that unrealistic turning circle. It's quite ridiculous watching them turn so sharp whilst maintaining 70km/hr and such a high CoG then don't roll?

 

Before the toxic mutants state "your inability to aim doesn't mean we need to nerf them" WG needs to fix these things. It is an anti-fun device in the game, especially at 200+ ping.


Edited by s70blackhawk, 12 April 2020 - 09:47 AM.

endgame
ˈɛn(d)ɡeɪm/ noun 
1. the final stage of a game such as chess, bridge or World of Tanks, when few pieces, cards or players on the server remain. 
Don't trust everything. Even salt looks like sugar.

NameWasStolenStresslevel #14 Posted 12 April 2020 - 12:20 PM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 52712 battles
  • 1,681
  • Member since:
    01-19-2015

View Postdhi67540, on 12 April 2020 - 09:47 AM, said:

Try hitting one with 200 ping - they are not where the game interface shows they are.  I bet the idiots at WG didn't take that into account (well except they are probably testing and playing it with next to 0 lag). Hitting one AND doing damage is not a skill but pure RNG.  I simply give up when I encounter one - just pointless trying to do anything else (bit like 3 arty games).  WG want to put 'anti-fun' elements in the game then they have to put up with the consequences.

 

and what about those times that the EBRs couldnt kill you because you were lucky? And what about the other players who suffer from lag and bounce off shots on you or can hit you but you never really notice because you are too busy playing your cassino game against an ebr circling you? What about all those blind shots someone couldnt hit you with because something strange keep making those shots go right past your tank? What about those times that someone hit your and low rolled so couldnt kill you or pen you? Its all luck ofc, all games have luck elements. But there is also consistency.

 

I believe its more about the way you engage them. The way i described my fights against EBRs would allow even a high ping individual to hit them. Its all about getting to know the game and learning the stuff you know. If you make them miss their shots by teasing them to shot your turret on the ridgline, then they will be left few seconds on reload time, enough tiime for you to shot them lots of time. I feel  sorry for players on your situation that relies only on luck to play this game. You will be left for luck to decide your fate in this game.


Having META problems?

 #Hashtag break the META

     (HAHAGHa i must have drank somethin)

             https://worldoftanks.asia/en/hall-of-fame/vehicles/A100_T49/#wot&w_ts=overall&w_nb=500

         Currently Hall of Fame T49's number 1 in WTR!!! (parameters are *battles +500* and *since 2014's* ranking)


GuwapoDuke49th #15 Posted 12 May 2020 - 02:18 AM

    Corporal

  • Member
  • 3707 battles
  • 28
  • [DEPH] DEPH
  • Member since:
    12-19-2017

View PostWarhammer124, on 29 July 2019 - 08:36 PM, said:

Before being concerned about wheelies, could we just remove arty first? :hiding:


How about both?

 

2 battles with 3 racing cars on each side in a row. Almost nobody was able to even get a single shot on them, except themselves on each other. (I decided to jump from a hill to death = suicded as I simply deny to play such a nonsense - we've lost the battle in under 3 minutes anyways...but better suicide than giving them the XP - blame me, hate me, I dont give a f. )

 

Whats the point with viewrange, hiding and spotting, when these things just circle all tanks and nobody is really able to do something against it? Often they die if they are just alone in the match. But 2-3 in a battle and it is just a joke.


On EU Server: GuwapoAko
 


GuwapoDuke49th #16 Posted 12 May 2020 - 02:22 AM

    Corporal

  • Member
  • 3707 battles
  • 28
  • [DEPH] DEPH
  • Member since:
    12-19-2017

View PostNameWasStolenStresslevel, on 12 April 2020 - 12:20 PM, said:

 

and what about those times that the EBRs couldnt kill you because you were lucky? And what about the other players who suffer from lag and bounce off shots on you or can hit you but you never really notice because you are too busy playing your cassino game against an ebr circling you? What about all those blind shots someone couldnt hit you with because something strange keep making those shots go right past your tank? What about those times that someone hit your and low rolled so couldnt kill you or pen you? Its all luck ofc, all games have luck elements. But there is also consistency.

 

I believe its more about the way you engage them. The way i described my fights against EBRs would allow even a high ping individual to hit them. Its all about getting to know the game and learning the stuff you know. If you make them miss their shots by teasing them to shot your turret on the ridgline, then they will be left few seconds on reload time, enough tiime for you to shot them lots of time. I feel  sorry for players on your situation that relies only on luck to play this game. You will be left for luck to decide your fate in this game.

 

If you talk about a single EBR or so, ok. They die often pretty quick. But 2-3 each side and the battle ends up in pure nonsense. And those who were in my last two battles, were almost all green/blue/violet players (good players and unicums)...so its hard to say they have no experience on how to play the game. ;)

 

This game isn't a simulator. But not even real racing cars can drive like that. And these things are supposed to be tanks! Again. Tanks!

 

Btw. Could you kindly upload a video where you engage 2-3 of them playing in a platoon? I would love to see how you kill them  :)


Edited by GuwapoDuke49th, 12 May 2020 - 02:28 AM.

On EU Server: GuwapoAko
 


kakhipudhi #17 Posted 26 May 2020 - 08:19 PM

    Corporal

  • Member
  • 21907 battles
  • 12
  • Member since:
    04-15-2014

The wheeled vehicles are broken because the only way to counter them is with other wheeled vehicles.  This throws off the balance of the game.  I admit that it is fun to play these armored cars, but it is just too frustrating to play against them.  Perhaps, reduce their vulnerability or greatly nerf their guns.  Its getting to the point or either join them or leave the game.

 



Puggsley #18 Posted 27 May 2020 - 02:06 PM

    Major

  • Member
  • 76334 battles
  • 2,365
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-
  • Member since:
    04-03-2014

Practise also helps dramatically in countering wheelies.

 

We did a few CW prep wheelie shooting sessions and was often part of the team tasked with pre-aiming for wheelies at the start of matches and we regularly killed or sent them off as 1 shots at extreme ranges.

 

Now I am pretty confident of hitting most pubbie wheelie drivers out to 300m or so. The lead is always a bit more than you think, and most pubbies a reasonably predictable.  



TheBudgiesmuggler #19 Posted 29 May 2020 - 06:51 AM

    Staff sergeant

  • Member
  • 36242 battles
  • 435
  • [PXR] PXR
  • Member since:
    03-18-2013

View PostWarhammer124, on 29 July 2019 - 10:36 PM, said:

Before being concerned about wheelies, could we just remove arty first? :hiding:


nope, don't like arty learn to move better and not sit in the open like a noob



TheBudgiesmuggler #20 Posted 29 May 2020 - 07:01 AM

    Staff sergeant

  • Member
  • 36242 battles
  • 435
  • [PXR] PXR
  • Member since:
    03-18-2013

View PostPuggsley, on 27 May 2020 - 04:06 PM, said:

Practise also helps dramatically in countering wheelies.

 

We did a few CW prep wheelie shooting sessions and was often part of the team tasked with pre-aiming for wheelies at the start of matches and we regularly killed or sent them off as 1 shots at extreme ranges.

 

Now I am pretty confident of hitting most pubbie wheelie drivers out to 300m or so. The lead is always a bit more than you think, and most pubbies a reasonably predictable.  


Love to see that video of Puggsley 1 shotting a EBR at 300m that going top speed????






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users