• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

pr154 #1 Posted 29 July 2019 - 04:47 PM

Corporal

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 17885 battles
  • [REIGN] REIGN

To ANZ Competitive Clans,

I may be sticking my head over the trench parapet here, but please hear me out... For avoidance of doubt, this is not in any way intended to be salt towards the success of top clans, or express any suggestion that the top clans are responsible for killing competitive play so please keep such thoughts/comments to yourself. Reading some of the post-Campaign forum posts and through earlier conversations with clan members, I am highly receptive to their concerns about a lack of competition within the ANZ Server community, and freely acknowledge there are only so many times YETI and TEAL can come to blows before the mode becomes tiresome for them. Furthermore, it is only fair to them that when they get a different opponent that said opponent plays to the best of their ability.

ELO-based matchmaking for Stronghold Activities is intended to match peers against peers, evolving as the capabilities of the clan grow or fade. Unfortunately this only works in a healthy and active server community, Currently the presence of a single top-shelf clan in the detachment list sends developing clans scurrying for cover for (a fairly validatable) fear of a 15-0 pasting by superior tanks and players. This isn't fair or fun for anyone regardless of the mismatch. 

I'd like to invite representative of the ANZ Clans to propose constructive community-based solutions, such that:
1) Developing clans are less inhibited about assembling an Advance detachment when a top-tier clan is in the detachment list
2) Top-tier clans enjoy a more variety and a slightly more challenging game format

One such option could be a mutually-agreeable scaled detachment structure that attempts to provide a more exciting and challenging game for the Higher-ELO clan, and an opportunity for a developing clan to take some productive lessons from the action, win or lose.
- ELO Disparity <100 - No handicap
- ELO Disparity <200 - Higher ELO takes 14 Tanks
- ELO Disparity <300 - Higher ELO takes 13 Tanks
- ELO Disparity <400 - Higher ELO takes 13 Tanks, Current Line Tanks Only

For fighting with honour and taking this handicap, the Higher ELO clan should reasonably expect that their lower-ranked opponent will play to the best of their ability

This is not a perfect solution and there are many other variables to consider

(e.g. Do High-PR legionnaires in Low-ELO clans nullify the structure? Does the Lower ELO get Reward/Campaign Tanks?)

I am not suggesting this handicap structure apply to Clan Wars or Campaigns - Purely for the Off-Season

Granted this is a complex solution, but we face a complex problem. It's not the fault of top clans for collecting the best players in the game but as the centre of power in the server, the ability to create positive community change lies predominantly with them. I invite other active ANZ clan representatives to share their thoughts as to how we reinject some life into off-season Stronghold Activity - Again, please no top-clan salt, as that is not the purpose or intent of the discussion here

HoPeY_ #2 Posted 02 August 2019 - 08:40 AM

Major

• 100009 battles
  • [SABRE] SABRE
The silence from the top clans is deafening.

pr154 #3 Posted 02 August 2019 - 09:20 AM

Corporal

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 17885 battles
  • [REIGN] REIGN

View PostHoPeY_, on 02 August 2019 - 10:40 AM, said:

I've actually had some really constructive discourse with some top-clan representatives in the background, so I'm happy to say they're not silent - Just not that public about it

Put simply, the top clans make alot of credits out of Advance victories, so understandably are not going to risk handicapping themselves to defeat without proportional reward. There's also obviously alot of politics (and occasionally tears) when you drop people out of detachments as well, so forgoing hundreds of thousands of credits for the sake of a "kum-buy-yah around the campfire" moment with weaker clans isn't a realistic ask.

A possible workaround could be a "modifier" to coin income from Advances for victory while running an under-strength detachment - Say if a detachment ran 14v15 it'd get a 10% coin boost, 13v15 it'd get a 20% boost - The idea is that being slightly outnumbered would create a more challenging game for the top clan, potentially less hard a stomping for the weaker clan, a more exciting game for all involved, and proportional reward for the political and tactical risk that the under-strength detachment takes.

Again, the obvious potential negative outcome here is the politics of dropping 1-2 players once the detachment commander realises they're facing a weaker clan. You're essentially saying "Bugger off so I can get more credits" to someone that's turned up to support the clan. It's a morality that's not worth wrestling with when the mechanism doesn't actually exist yet, but still a real consideration if it did.

Saffelicious #4 Posted 02 August 2019 - 12:34 PM

Master flipper !

• Live Streamer
  • 37403 battles
  • [YETI] YETI

View PostHoPeY_, on 02 August 2019 - 11:40 AM, said:

Why do you care?
Thought you quit? 

Pubbie 1
"You guys run around in t10 tanks with, prem consumables, prem rounds, prem crews and even prem modules and that is not fair on the newbies in t8, how do you expect the server to survive if this is what they get from your clan. Some of us want this server to survive."
Pubbie 2
"What's pathetic and un Australian is you and the other [edited] complaining about those here behind their backs on the other forum. What's pathetic is thinking you are better than others on forums and in the game and big noting yourself when blind Feddy can see your sudden improvement on purchasing vpack"

Twit_ #5 Posted 02 August 2019 - 12:40 PM

Sergeant

• 17584 battles
  • [TEAL] TEAL

View PostSaffelicious, on 02 August 2019 - 12:34 PM, said:

Why do you care?
Thought you quit? 

obviously not the forums duh :popcorn:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users