Which T8 premium tank should I choose

premium tanks

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Di_inferi #1 Posted 29 August 2019 - 07:03 AM

Corporal

• 3593 battles
  • [WOT-U] WOT-U

I want a T8 premium tank with acceptable to good exp and credit profit. It’s gonna be my first T8 so preferably a Russian or German tank since those are my main countries. Ive read some reviews about Lowe but I wanted something slightly faster

p.s. referring to tanks that are currently available to buy 

Edited by SythNek, 29 August 2019 - 10:17 AM.

Profanisaurus #2 Posted 29 August 2019 - 07:17 AM

le sigh

• 2017 battles
  • [PBFG] PBFG

A few thoughts:
Do you think you are ready to play tier 8?

Will you add anything to the team or just be a passenger?

Just I notice that you don't come close to doing your hit points of damage at low tiers and tier 8 is significantly less forgiving if you don't have the basics of competitive play understood.

However, if you are determined to do so watch the current festive fair sales and watch for a Defender/252u as a Russian tank - It's kind of idiot proof although there are exceptions to that rule.

A Skorpion is by a large margin the best German Premium tank at tier 8. The Skorp is a TD so keep that in mind before purchase. The Lowe is probably the next best option other than the light tanks but to make a good profit in a tier 8 light prem is a pretty high skill level and to be blunt you are not there currently.

Thanks Conan - (Insert Eggplant here)

Puggsley #3 Posted 29 August 2019 - 07:19 AM

Captain

• 69150 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

What sort of tanks do you like playing?

The current book training means its no longer critical to get a crew trainer in the nation you want to train. Find any premium which you should do well in and grind credits and buy the books for any nation. If that happens to be the same nation as your primary training crew tanks then good. 

The 1:30 is a fabulous tank for grinding credits, great gun and AP pen so you will be using standard ammo, fast and good camo which means you will get into good forward sniping positions and get a lot of damage reliably. Likewise the Skorp, but its a lot harder to hide.

Scouts are pretty good given that you get a lot of credit earn from spotting which costs you nothing. By far my best earner is the EVEN 90 because its got a pretty reasonable gun and great camo/vision. Besides its just great fun dodging incoming shells breaking vision then going back to do it all again. 

Rather than spend money the best return you can get in terms of getting more credits and XP will be to completely understand the game mechanics. Read the armour and vision wikis (it will take you maybe 15 minutes), maybe watch some videos and you will effectively turn each of your tanks into premium tanks compared to how you currently perform. It will cost you no money and make by far the best investment in the game you can make. 

Edited by Puggsley, 29 August 2019 - 07:36 AM.

Di_inferi #4 Posted 29 August 2019 - 10:06 AM

Corporal

• 3593 battles
  • [WOT-U] WOT-U

View PostPuggsley, on 29 August 2019 - 07:19 AM, said:

What sort of tanks do you like playing?

The current book training means its no longer critical to get a crew trainer in the nation you want to train. Find any premium which you should do well in and grind credits and buy the books for any nation. If that happens to be the same nation as your primary training crew tanks then good. 

The 1:30 is a fabulous tank for grinding credits, great gun and AP pen so you will be using standard ammo, fast and good camo which means you will get into good forward sniping positions and get a lot of damage reliably. Likewise the Skorp, but its a lot harder to hide.

Scouts are pretty good given that you get a lot of credit earn from spotting which costs you nothing. By far my best earner is the EVEN 90 because its got a pretty reasonable gun and great camo/vision. Besides its just great fun dodging incoming shells breaking vision then going back to do it all again. 

Rather than spend money the best return you can get in terms of getting more credits and XP will be to completely understand the game mechanics. Read the armour and vision wikis (it will take you maybe 15 minutes), maybe watch some videos and you will effectively turn each of your tanks into premium tanks compared to how you currently perform. It will cost you no money and make by far the best investment in the game you can make. 

I mainly play HTs, sometimes TD(with SU-100Y and Hetzer), but I’m willing to try some MTs too

Could you elaborate ‘1:30’ please? Whats the full name of that tank?

Ezz #5 Posted 29 August 2019 - 10:11 AM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 69146 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
He probably means the SU 130pm, or SU 1330 on a 24 hour clock.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

U12D13 #6 Posted 29 August 2019 - 11:25 AM

IRL Garbage Collector

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 39676 battles
  • [CALM] CALM

Here's a short summary on some newbie-proof-ish premiums:

Lowe (GER-HT)

+ Good gun handling

+ Good armor (best when hull-down)

+ Good gun depression

+ Quite newbie friendly with predictable weak spots to hide.

- Poor DPM

- Slow 

- Tendency to cause new players to forget to move and end up sniping, becoming a detriment to the team.

- Most costly german HT right now.

Vk75.01k (GER-HT, is it still on sale idk?)

+ Highest Alpha strike of all HTs at tier 8

+ Ideal for sidecraping

+ Crew configuration matches high tier German HTs 

+ Better than Mauschen in every aspect effectively

= Mediocre DPM

- Poor mobility

- Easy engine fires with HE splash

- Needs to understand the concept of sidescraping for newbies

- Poor view range

Skorp G (GER-TD)

+ Good damage per shot and DPM

+ Flexible with 360 degree rotating turret 

+ Mobile and high speed platform

- Paper for armor

- Large profile

= Camping playstyle, may or may not suit players. Newbie friendly as all you need to do is find a good bush and click.

SU-130PM (RU-TD)

+ Basically a russian Skorp G, with even more damage per shot

- Loses a fully rotational turret, but still maintains very good gun arcs

Obj252U/ Defender (RU-HT)

+ 440 damage per shot gun

+ Good armor that newbs can't screw up

+ Decent mobility

- Usual russian drawbacks like viewrange

IS-6 (RU-HT)

Basically a watered down 252 with a 390 alpha gun, thick pike-less front, slower, but has pref MM (never sees tier Xs)

I'm not good at this game, its just that the rest of the server sucks~

Casual Gaming: Apply for [ANKOU] today! Simple requirements: English speaking, Wn8 = 1000+ (nego-able), new players welcome!

Competitive Gaming: Come join in the [CALM/CROWN] family! Weekly Strongholds and CW~

spacewolf #7 Posted 29 August 2019 - 12:00 PM

I still think it's morally wrong so in fact I'm right.

• Beta-Tester
  • 73444 battles

At tier 8 the T44-100 is pretty idiot proof.  Makes pretty good creds and is a pretty flexible medium.

A HT at tier 8 isn't worth having nowadays, but if you had to have one maybe the 53TP I guess or Defender, both are pretty reasonable.

Until you get a few more games under your belt I wouldn't really try anything else as they won't be fun - they'll be a bit too technical to play. 

Proudly sponsored by WG

CardinalMite #8 Posted 29 August 2019 - 12:04 PM

Captain

• 29567 battles

Not sure I'd recommend IS6 as a newbie option any more. Even with buffs its pen is pretty bad still, so in order to do well will require experience  with weak spot exploitation and tank positioning, flanking etc.

Pref MM is nice and all but rather undermined when your  opposite number in an all tier 8 battle is a Defender or VK100.

I know that tier 8 is where people want to be for things like credit earning and playing Frontlines, but staying in the lower tiers, (maybe getting tier 6 premiums instead) may be more fun until you get a better understanding of how to at least carry your weight OP.

Edited by CardinalMite, 29 August 2019 - 12:11 PM.

“Holiday ops is balanced for Asia because a good player opening 11 boxes will get just as many decorations as a noob opening 75..”—.Murazor new head of global festive events.

"It's like you literally dont read your own posts, let alone others, make up instead what you wished others said, then put a non-sensical counter argument to that imagined post."

U12D13 #9 Posted 29 August 2019 - 12:12 PM

IRL Garbage Collector

• 39676 battles
  • [CALM] CALM

View PostCardinalMite, on 29 August 2019 - 12:04 PM, said:

Not sure I'd recommend IS6 as a newbie option any more. Even with buffs its pen is pretty bad still, so in order to do well will require experience  with weak spot exploitation and tank positioning, flanking etc.

Pref MM is nice and all but rather undermined when your  opposite number in an all tier 8 battle is a Defender or VK100.

Completely agree, but well, the OP asked for a tank currently being sold so unless the 252 pops up in the event, his next best bet is the IS-6 as a RU HT. At least it can be a bullet sponge for his team. Idk...

Casual Gaming: Apply for [ANKOU] today! Simple requirements: English speaking, Wn8 = 1000+ (nego-able), new players welcome!

Competitive Gaming: Come join in the [CALM/CROWN] family! Weekly Strongholds and CW~

Profanisaurus #10 Posted 29 August 2019 - 12:12 PM

le sigh

• 2017 battles
  • [PBFG] PBFG
What is the pen on the new VKs HE, asking for the OP.

U12D13 #11 Posted 29 August 2019 - 12:14 PM

IRL Garbage Collector

• 39676 battles
  • [CALM] CALM

View PostProfanisaurus, on 29 August 2019 - 12:12 PM, said:

What is the pen on the new VKs HE, asking for the OP.

How HE pen works (in most cases less weird gimmick ones by WG) :

Standard: Caliber divided by 2.

Hesh: Caliber

Premium hesh: Nonsense number by WG that differs per tank.

Edit: To answer the question, its 65mm (rounded up) 

Edited by U12D13, 29 August 2019 - 12:16 PM.

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #12 Posted 29 August 2019 - 12:15 PM

Blue Mountain Aoyama

• Beta-Tester
  • 76324 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY

IS-6 has no armor on the Asia server right now

How to solve all problems once and for all with just 3 lines of code:

if ( battle_type = CW | RB | SH ) {

mod_folder.disable

}

Profanisaurus #13 Posted 29 August 2019 - 12:16 PM

le sigh

• 2017 battles
  • [PBFG] PBFG
<resists the urge to post whoosh gif - I mean, it's not like this is Discord>

CardinalMite #14 Posted 29 August 2019 - 12:24 PM

Captain

• 29567 battles

View PostU12D13, on 29 August 2019 - 04:12 AM, said:

Completely agree, but well, the OP asked for a tank currently being sold so unless the 252 pops up in the event, his next best bet is the IS-6 as a RU HT. At least it can be a bullet sponge for his team. Idk...

Fair enough. Better to wait however long it takes for a Defender/252 to appear on sale imho, fact is once bought you have to live with it long term.

“Holiday ops is balanced for Asia because a good player opening 11 boxes will get just as many decorations as a noob opening 75..”—.Murazor new head of global festive events.

"It's like you literally dont read your own posts, let alone others, make up instead what you wished others said, then put a non-sensical counter argument to that imagined post."

Puggsley #15 Posted 29 August 2019 - 12:49 PM

Captain

• 69150 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

View PostProfanisaurus, on 29 August 2019 - 02:16 PM, said:

<resists the urge to post whoosh gif - I mean, it's not like this is Discord>

Plus its so cheap, and no need to worry about that aiming for weakspots guff..... Whats not to love!

Had a game in the VK100 the other night and during the countdown realised I had a full HE loadout. On cliff it was glorious, 4.7k damage and I even chased the scouts up onto the lighthouse hill, catching the Lorr 40t totally unawares for a top of the turret penetration...... I'm pretty sure he was not expecting me up there.

HE man, its the new meta

Di_inferi #16 Posted 29 August 2019 - 03:12 PM

Corporal

• 3593 battles
  • [WOT-U] WOT-U

View PostU12D13, on 29 August 2019 - 11:25 AM, said:

IS-6 (RU-HT)

Basically a watered down 252 with a 390 alpha gun, thick pike-less front, slower, but has pref MM (never sees tier Xs)

is t8 still getting matched against t10? i thought matchmaking across two tiers arent possible anymore

U12D13 #17 Posted 29 August 2019 - 03:15 PM

IRL Garbage Collector

• 39676 battles
  • [CALM] CALM

View PostSythNek, on 29 August 2019 - 03:12 PM, said:

is t8 still getting matched against t10? i thought matchmaking across two tiers arent possible anymore

2 tier MM is the normal at tier 4+. Just the frequency that you are matched in a +2 game is lowered compared to the past. 

Tiers 1 to 3 enjoy max +1 tier MM. 

Thats why pref-MM premiums are still a thing. 

CardinalMite #18 Posted 29 August 2019 - 03:16 PM

Captain

• 29567 battles
No you can still see tier 10 in a tier 8 it just isn't  80% of the time any more.

Edited by CardinalMite, 29 August 2019 - 03:16 PM.

Puggsley #19 Posted 30 August 2019 - 12:15 PM

Captain

• 69150 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-
Depends on your server as well. I find on ANZ there is a lot more T8 seeing T9 and TX due to the limited population, while on HK its surprising to be in something other than a T8 only game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users