Crew Skill - Am I missing something?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

AlfHeim21 #1 Posted 15 September 2019 - 07:25 AM

Private

• 472 battles

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to WoT and enjoying it.  I've been doing a lot of reading and YouTube watching, but one thing eludes me.  I see that Sixth Sense is a highly regarding skill to have.  I'm finding that it takes an insufferably long time to get!  Am I missing something about training my crews?  Or do I just keep grinding out games in the hope that I get it at some point?

How I'm approaching the game:

- When I get a new tank, I get a crew with 75% skill

- I'm grinding the US medium and TD lines, along with Russian light

- I'm staying in the lower tiers to learn, rather than rush

- I have Tier 1-3 of my lines, and T4 TD

- My best crew member is at 100% skill, with ~55% sixth sense (I have few crew members on 100%, so havent started skill training)

- I try to get the x2/x4 XP on all of my tanks each time I log in

I've read through the newcomer guides on this forum, as well as researched more generally.  If someone can point me in the right direction, that'd be great!

Thanks!

Ezz #2 Posted 15 September 2019 - 08:20 AM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 69271 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

Yeah skills take ages to grind. Tho the crew special at the moment really speeds things up.

If you're willing to spend gold then shifting crew into a new tank will allow you to focus the grinding effort into one crew rather than having a fresh crew each time.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

HoPeY_ #3 Posted 15 September 2019 - 11:18 AM

Major

• 101606 battles
  • [SABRE] SABRE
Frontlines starts tomorrow, get into it big time. Do not use gold. You should be able to make about 14M or more a season easily. That's 7 x 2M crew training books.

Profanisaurus #4 Posted 15 September 2019 - 12:02 PM

le sigh

• 2017 battles
  • [PBFG] PBFG
He's unlikely to have any tier 8 options though.
Thanks Conan - (Insert Eggplant here)

HoPeY_ #5 Posted 15 September 2019 - 12:08 PM

Major

• 101606 battles
  • [SABRE] SABRE

View PostProfanisaurus, on 15 September 2019 - 12:02 PM, said:

He's likely to be able to rent them...

AlfHeim21 #6 Posted 15 September 2019 - 01:17 PM

Private

• 472 battles

View PostEzz, on 15 September 2019 - 08:20 AM, said:

Yeah skills take ages to grind.

So I need to reset my expectations, and keep slowly plodding along?

View PostEzz, on 15 September 2019 - 08:20 AM, said:

If you're willing to spend gold then shifting crew into a new tank will allow you to focus the grinding effort into one crew rather than having a fresh crew each time.

My thinking there was to maintain two trained squads, and leapfrog them.  So for Tier 2 & 3, focus on those crews.  Then when Tier 4 opens up, move the crew from Tier 2 to Tier 4 (Leaving a trained crew in Tiers 3 & 4).  Good idea? Or no?

I was under the impression that you can retrain to 75% of crew skill - but the trained skills remain (sixth sense, camo, etc).

Am I right?

View PostHoPeY_, on 15 September 2019 - 12:08 PM, said:

View PostProfanisaurus, on 15 September 2019 - 12:02 PM, said:

He's likely to be able to rent them...

I didnt know about Frontlines, but I'm for sure looking into it now?

Renting - how would I do that?

Thanks everyone for the replies so far :)

Edited by AlfHeim21, 15 September 2019 - 01:18 PM.

AlexTheKid72 #7 Posted 16 September 2019 - 03:01 AM

Sergeant

• 23845 battles
  • [SABRE] SABRE

View PostAlfHeim21, on 15 September 2019 - 01:17 PM, said:

My thinking there was to maintain two trained squads, and leapfrog them.  So for Tier 2 & 3, focus on those crews.  Then when Tier 4 opens up, move the crew from Tier 2 to Tier 4 (Leaving a trained crew in Tiers 3 & 4).  Good idea? Or no?

I was under the impression that you can retrain to 75% of crew skill - but the trained skills remain (sixth sense, camo, etc).

Am I right?

Depends on the line.
Russian mediums definitely use 2 crews and rotate every 2nd tank - you will want a good crew for 140 and 430U minimum. Not much point for Swedish mediums with only 1 line though.

Yes, skills remain when you retrain to 75%. 6th sense will work if it is 100% even if commander training is 75%.

Edited by AlexTheKid72, 16 September 2019 - 03:02 AM.

Puggsley #8 Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:46 PM

Captain

• 69738 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

View PostAlfHeim21, on 15 September 2019 - 03:17 PM, said:

So I need to reset my expectations, and keep slowly plodding along?

Am I right?

I didnt know about Frontlines, but I'm for sure looking into it now?

Renting - how would I do that?

Thanks everyone for the replies so far :)

My take is that unless its a great keeper, or you really enjoy it, playing a tank you have elited is not that commonly done.

I'd suggest focusing on one crew and getting them skilled up is a better idea.

The difference between a 2 and 3 skill crew is pretty significant as you mostly have BIA there, have full vision and/or repairs and one of the better position specific skills. Assuming you want to get to higher tier tanks then moving one crew will help keep you more competitive with the other higher tier players. And if you are more competitive then you will likely be accumulating credits which you can use to buy the crew xp books. 

Grinding 2 crews just makes getting to the 3 skill point longer. 

I'd also add that rushing up tiers beyond what you feel comfortable with is a bad idea and won't help you much.

As a side note I thought when I first started playing that having that first skill before I moved up to Tier 2 was the done thing. 600 odd battles in the loltractor later.... Still remember the old Province at Tier 2 with 6th sense, a camo net and binos.....

Edited by Puggsley, 16 September 2019 - 01:01 PM.

kickim #9 Posted 31 October 2019 - 09:55 AM

First lieutenant

• 53103 battles
  • [CALM] CALM

Personally, I think any crew below tier 4 is useless, by the time your next tank is researched, your crew isn't even trained up to 100 percent yet. And at that low tiers you dun really need a good crew anyway.

Half the time you are running stock tanks, players r horrible, tanks are shit.

I was running 50pct crews at low tiers, then 75pct credit trained crews at tiers 4-5. I only start training crews at tiers 6-7.

Spend more time at tiers 6-7 and get at least 1 skill before going to tier 8, 2 skills is of course much better.

Tier 6 have some decent tanks for crew training, and some cheap or free prem tanks.

Oh, and you dun train 6th sense cos it is a perk, it does not activate until it is at 100 percent.

So train any other skill to 100 percent then retrain it with gold (can earn from frontline) to 6th sense.

southerner #10 Posted 31 October 2019 - 11:16 AM

Captain

• 19012 battles
  • [2MEKE] 2MEKE

As mentioned above keep your crew training condensed around 1 crew and spend gold to swap them around. As mentioned spend the silver once you have enough for crew training booklets. Also if you are rich enough, you can buy gold to convert to silver its the expensive option $$$$$$, but gives you faster results. 

Which skills ?, it depends on the type of class tank that they are in. But you cannot  go wrong with sixth sense, repairs and camo and BIA. Those in my book are a must.

High tier tanks, (im talking tiers 9 and 10 here), Then it goes without saying you need a crew with a high number of skills. Some layers have have a 3 man crew in the batchat with each of them 9 skills each. Other players have the commander of their batchat on 14 skills with the driver on 9 and the gunner on 11.

This is one of the reasons why you dont want to zoom up the tiers to level 10, your crews need the time to accumulate skills, and you as a player need to get savvy with the game and knowing what your tanks can and cannot do. It takes time to learn this game. Think in the terms of years and years.

Players that zoom up to higher tier tanks with 3 skills.... well the results are, it ends up in tears. And usually they incure the wrath of the team they are in.

You wanna play this game well in the higher tiers ? Then invest years of your time, spend the $$$$$$$$$$$$. And get experience, and platooning with the old hands. Really learn the tricks of the trade in tank school, (tiers 1 to 5). 

Edited by southerner, 31 October 2019 - 11:27 AM.

indignatio regis nuntii mortis et vir sapiens placabit ea 

Angus775n #11 Posted 01 November 2019 - 08:22 AM

Sergeant

• 61745 battles
  • [PRC] PRC

View Postsoutherner, on 31 October 2019 - 12:46 PM, said:

High tier tanks, (im talking tiers 9 and 10 here), Then it goes without saying you need a crew with a high number of skills. Some layers have have a 3 man crew in the batchat with each of them 9 skills each. Other players have the commander of their batchat on 14 skills with the driver on 9 and the gunner on 11.

A 9 skill crew? That is an enormous amount of crew xp even with a 0 skill BIA crew to start with.

HoPeY_ #12 Posted 01 November 2019 - 10:26 AM

Major

• 101606 battles
  • [SABRE] SABRE

Yeah would love to see a screeny of a 14 perk crew :P

My best is 8. Even getting to 6 (even female or similar) is a long grind.

Edited by HoPeY_, 01 November 2019 - 10:27 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users