• Beta-Tester
  • 75879 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY
The new Kharkov is WG taking a corridor map and making it even more corridor

FramFramson #2 Posted 06 October 2019 - 09:30 AM

Major

• 43655 battles
  • [AVAST] AVAST
New Kharkov is awful. The open fields are one of the worst-designed areas on any map in the whole damn game.

LT-playing masochist. It's too much fun to be a mosquito.

Ezz #3 Posted 06 October 2019 - 09:45 AM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 68705 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

It's difficult for pubbies on both teams to know what they're meant to do. Always feels very stagnant.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

CardinalMite #4 Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:38 AM

Captain

• 29493 battles

Honestly, I agree.

While the old Kharkov had its issues the new one just seems designed to make people camp in field. So instead half the team there is largely rendered irrelevant to the outcome of the match. It becomes all about who wins the city.

The dividing road that you can't drive out of except at either end is just stupid. No one wants to go down there because if you meet anything down there you have no options. Then either end  you come out of is a killing field.

Over on the west edge you are arty food and if you push through you are food for camping TDs. A field push can work but it requires actual teamwork across at least 5-6 tanks, so you can imagine how often that works in randoms..

“Holiday ops is balanced for Asia because a good player opening 11 boxes will get just as many decorations as a noob opening 75..”—.Murazor new head of global festive events.

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #5 Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:36 AM

Blue Mountain Aoyama

• Beta-Tester
  • 75879 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY

I feel the city is even worse

1) The original door was removed. This also renders the street useless.

1a) They also removed the fighting area west of this street; if you fight u get sniped to death

2) Added hulldown points making this alley useless for attacking

3) Reduced cover making it pretty much impossible to enter or move through the compound without taking damage

4) Covers from east side of map making main street and east alleyways useless

5) Hulldown points making attack impossible. Remembering that even if you make it to the alleyways you still have to deal with 4). South side cam even invisible snipe. (Not sure about north)

How did they manage to make this map into a HE slingfest. A city map made into a HE slingfest. Impressive.

Edited by Aoyama_Blue_Mountain, 06 October 2019 - 11:47 AM.

Zynth #6 Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:50 AM

Aufklärungspanzer Panther

• 25820 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

Note that positioning artillery at K0 and A0 allows you to hit things hull down at 5. I usually take advantage of that to try to break the flank.

It is truly unfortunate if artillery is actually needed to actually push.

RIP Aufklärungspanzer Panther 16th July 2015. You will be missed, friend.

But not for long. For "Heroes never die."

This account is proudly sponsored by Wargaming.

kovacs #7 Posted 06 October 2019 - 02:21 PM

Corporal

• Beta-Tester
  • 21563 battles
  • [-RGB-] -RGB-
WG: bad players have to feel "comfortable" - enemy must be visible and in front of their guns

Vindictus_Maximus #8 Posted 07 October 2019 - 01:33 PM

Corporal

• 5766 battles

Unlike the old map, Karkhov is great for LTs now. LTs are the main tank class I play so I am kind of biased in my opinion.

Personally I hate the new Erlenberg, the old Erlenberg was great for all classes

Dieselnuts #9 Posted 07 October 2019 - 04:45 PM

Sergeant

• 13955 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

I like the new Kharkov. But I also like Studz, new Providence, new Pilsen...

Airfield and Empires Border can [edited] right off though. 

XiNuAiLe #10 Posted 07 October 2019 - 08:48 PM

Tiny Tank Connoisseur

• 16231 battles
  • [YETI] YETI
North spawn has that great bush hill camping spot whereas the south , enemy have to push hard into order to make the camping spot work . I usually lose more in the south than in the north , the map is not balanced .

azmania3000 #11 Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:12 PM

Captain

• 46826 battles
  • [BURN] BURN

View PostAoyama_Blue_Mountain, on 06 October 2019 - 11:25 AM, said:

The new Kharkov is WG taking a corridor map and making it even more corridor

The old Kharkov could be really dynamic in the mid to late stages. Yeah opening could suck, particularly in high tier but; Fights could rotate orientation several times, all the lanes gave many options to move and shoot. You always had to concentrate on not being isolated.

This new map just doesn't have any flavour. Town plain sucks. Field is clickbait for TD and arty...….so you just grind teeth deciding your most preferred location to be slapped in the face.

IMC_Stewy #12 Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:10 AM

Corporal

• 18917 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-
I feel like the odd one out. I really enjoy Kharkov, Had some ripper matches in my UDES 15/16, 60TP and EBR105 here. I do wish they kept the gaps in the buildings to allow for more dynamic gameplay, in the city, you just have to get up in their fact and have backup to do well. With the old map, those gaps in the wall pretty much made you have to be careful with every move.

Unlike what everyone else has said, I dont mind the open field. it has enough buildings to use them to some sort of effectivity. Unfortunately it isnt great, but so many maps nowadays have some stupid field in the middle of the map. Luckily for kharkov, there is a trench so at least you can play hulldown in there abit and shoot at the mediums brawling at E1

FramFramson #13 Posted 11 October 2019 - 10:05 AM

Major

• 43655 battles
  • [AVAST] AVAST

The main problem with the fields is how impregnable and how clear a field of fire the hills are at C3 and H3. In a tank with good view range, you're usually dead before you can get close enough to spot them.

I typically go up the 7 line as I find it's the best way to disrupt the fields while not outright suiciding. Dangerous, but you can certainly get your nickel's worth.

LT-playing masochist. It's too much fun to be a mosquito.

CardinalMite #14 Posted 11 October 2019 - 12:50 PM

Captain

• 29493 battles

For me the problem with field is that to take it before say the city flank falls is only doable to push with a co-ordinated effort.

Otherwise if city is winning then the main thing is to just hold field, so city does not get flanked. Since pubbies default on field is camp then that is fine. 

On the other hand if city is falling camping field pretty much guarantees loss. If you can motivate support to push you may have a chance otherwise it is die one by one.

If field is determined to camp and wont support a push then the only other option is to abandon field and go try to help the city forces, but you have to make that decision pretty fast once things start to play out, otherwise you get to city only to find everyone is dead already.

“Holiday ops is balanced for Asia because a good player opening 11 boxes will get just as many decorations as a noob opening 75..”—.Murazor new head of global festive events.

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #15 Posted 12 October 2019 - 10:30 AM

Blue Mountain Aoyama

• Beta-Tester
  • 75879 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY
I noticed Pilsen suffers from the same issue

CardinalMite #16 Posted 12 October 2019 - 02:30 PM

Captain

• 29493 battles

View PostAoyama_Blue_Mountain, on 12 October 2019 - 02:30 AM, said:

I noticed Pilsen suffers from the same issue

When you think about it they are quite similar maps.

jerrek1 #17 Posted 12 October 2019 - 03:11 PM

Corporal

• 3690 battles

I don't mind the map to much. There is a role for every type. 

But I think it could be improved by improving the middle section. It appears some thought went into the middle section with the trenches but I think it is more exposed then expected. If you could change that middle section it may make the field more approachable. Or at least put more cover between the sniping spots and the ridge the mediums and lights end up at. Once the middle ridge is taken the advance on the sniping spots and the back ditch is to exposed. 

The city seems fine. I don't seem to see it often when I am in a heavy but watching the streamers there are more plays than in most city maps where most of the fighting is just a corner fight on maybe 2 corners. There's corners, open areas, holes in the wall.
Of course if there is multiple arty the field play on the ridge is terrible because they can pre aim and the moment you are spotted they can fire. But that's true for pretty much every ridge fight unfortunately. 

Sir_Dingleberry #18 Posted 20 October 2019 - 02:56 PM

Private

• Beta-Tester
  • 26280 battles
  • [SWAN] SWAN
in old kharkov field was so terrible, atleast in new one it is more balanced. 

khanhcoi #19 Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:25 PM

Private

• 89592 battles
  • [_VL_] _VL_
atleast this map better than Airfield i guess 

CardinalMite #20 Posted Yesterday, 06:26 AM

Captain

• 29493 battles
That's like saying getting knee capped is better than being set on fire.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users