Ranked battles - just my take

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

CardinalMite #1 Posted 29 October 2019 - 06:45 AM

Captain

• 30765 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

So while I briefly tried RB when it first came on the scene, hated it and then ignored it the last time it was on; last night I had my first serious go at it because I want to get the 50t. 

So they say  RB is a glimpse at what skill based matchmaking in random battles would be like....

If that is true and they implemented a matchmaking system like  that for random battles then I would quit the game. It produces a horrible meta, that is not fun at all.

The rewards are ok, the credits help to offset the cost of  running tier 10 constantly in try-hard setups. So long as you get decent damage the credit cost  is surprisingly  not bad. Not good, but tolerable.

But the gameplay itself? I do not have the words to fully express my loathing of how the meta works in this mode. It isn't that I wasn't able to do ok, I came to terms with what was necessary to get chevrons (after a period of adjustment) and got through the qualification round and then got to rank 5+. 

Fortunately I had recently unlocked the Progetto 65 which is a great tank and suits me.

But the games.... lemming train meta for the win, alternating with camp like an absolute muppet.

Running an LT of any sort is possible but not super effective, since everyone is try harding their setups, running food plus most tanks having ~400 base view range, basically view range saturation is super toxic. It causes the camping and it causes the lemming trains. There is very little to gain going anywhere on your own and everything to lose. 

So virtually all the maps become single lane brawls, flanking is rare... it's horrible.

Also people are so desperate to get damage and kills in the mop up, they just utterly play like complete tossers, deliberately ramming you to throw off your aim, deliberately driving  in front to block anyone else from being able to shoot. It fosters un-sportsmanlike play.

And the OP reward tanks, obviously they are being spammed, pretty much every game. Any player that doesn't at least have one of the meta tech tree tanks pretty much has no hope.

I will see how I go because I want the reward tank. But I would take Frontline (with all its faults) over this any day.

Oh also, Serene Coast, Tundra and Murovanka seem to be almost the only maps. Serene Coast in particular last night seemed to be every other match.

Edited by CardinalMite, 29 October 2019 - 06:48 AM.

“Holiday ops is balanced for Asia because a good player opening 11 boxes will get just as many decorations as a noob opening 75..”—.Murazor new head of global festive events.

"It's like you literally dont read your own posts, let alone others, make up instead what you wished others said, then put a non-sensical counter argument to that imagined post."

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience."

AlexTheKid72 #2 Posted 29 October 2019 - 07:05 AM

Sergeant

• 25771 battles
  • [REIGN] REIGN
Agree 100%. The meta is gawdawful. Only played 7 games last night, was pushed, shoved, shotblocked by teammates in 5 of them. The other 2 games I trolled in arty ..... 

Plus the "primetime" hours are shit for New Zealand.

Plus the ANZ player ping handicap, forced to play on HK.

Edited by AlexTheKid72, 29 October 2019 - 07:05 AM.

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #3 Posted 29 October 2019 - 08:09 AM

Blue Mountain Aoyama

• Beta-Tester
  • 79240 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY
But u managed to finish qual 20 battles + reach rank 5 in 1 day, it's going to take way less grind to reach rank 30 this season and rank 20 the next season to get the reward compared to FL.

Type 4 Medium Tank Chi-To

HoPeY_ #4 Posted 29 October 2019 - 08:23 AM

Major

• 104073 battles
  • [M-E-G] M-E-G

Only the first day, no one has settled into the zone they should be regarding skill. Presently you are surrounded by all sorts including many, many weak players. Going by previous rounds if you do well you will find the game play improves significantly to the point it felt like high level CW with a caller (but no actual caller).

PS. If you want to see Himalsdorf, just ready up an EBR :)

Edited by HoPeY_, 29 October 2019 - 08:25 AM.

CardinalMite #5 Posted 29 October 2019 - 08:26 AM

Captain

• 30765 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostAoyama_Blue_Mountain, on 29 October 2019 - 12:09 AM, said:

But u managed to finish qual 20 battles + reach rank 5 in 1 day, it's going to take way less grind to reach rank 30 this season and rank 20 the next season to get the reward compared to FL.

Yes.. so far, except unlike FL which while the grind can get tedious, the fundamental gameplay is relatively fun. I find the fundamental gameplay of ranked to be well, rank.

Also with FL it is 1 week on (but with boosters it is really more like half that) per month.

Ranked is limited time slot and for 3 weeks straight per season. I find that more tedious and restrictive in many ways. Last night I got lucky in that wife and kids were busy and I could dedicate several hours to it. It is unlikely to be that way every day between now and the end of the season. I will probably not be able to play several days over that period due to real life.

“Holiday ops is balanced for Asia because a good player opening 11 boxes will get just as many decorations as a noob opening 75..”—.Murazor new head of global festive events.

"It's like you literally dont read your own posts, let alone others, make up instead what you wished others said, then put a non-sensical counter argument to that imagined post."

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience."

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #6 Posted 29 October 2019 - 08:34 AM

Blue Mountain Aoyama

• Beta-Tester
  • 79240 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY

Block Quote

Going by previous rounds you will find the game play becomes a campfest against people who can snapshot your turret on the move

Ftfy

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #7 Posted 29 October 2019 - 09:42 AM

Blue Mountain Aoyama

• Beta-Tester
  • 79240 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY

The net chevrons per battle is 4/30 = 0.133 per player

So around 750 battles to finish 100 chevs

But as weaker players leave, it becomes harder to score chevrons

So the first week is going to be the make or break.

Puggsley #8 Posted 29 October 2019 - 11:16 AM

Captain

• 72668 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

Scouts seem a waste of time, its often lemming rush type play early on, plus the HTs and MTs have a strong incentive to close so they are doing their own spotting. The games don't usually go for long enough for TDS to come into play.

TDs for the same reason, you wont get many chances to sit back and farm.

Its HTs all the way, with fighting meds a fair way back, arty third and the rest way back in the dust.   

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #9 Posted 29 October 2019 - 11:50 AM

Blue Mountain Aoyama

• Beta-Tester
  • 79240 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY
I saw Napalmer in a scout yesterday...

CardinalMite #10 Posted 29 October 2019 - 12:25 PM

Captain

• 30765 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostPuggsley, on 29 October 2019 - 03:16 AM, said:

Scouts seem a waste of time, its often lemming rush type play early on, plus the HTs and MTs have a strong incentive to close so they are doing their own spotting. The games don't usually go for long enough for TDS to come into play.

TDs for the same reason, you wont get many chances to sit back and farm.

Its HTs all the way, with fighting meds a fair way back, arty third and the rest way back in the dust.   

^^^^^ so much this. That was last night virtually every battle.

Dieselnuts #11 Posted 29 October 2019 - 07:13 PM

Sergeant

• 14789 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-
I gave this a go tonight. Gameplay wasn't as bad as I was expecting (not saying its good). Just how big of a grind is this to get to the end this season? Is it 100 chevrons to finish it all?

basil_liddell_hart #12 Posted 29 October 2019 - 07:57 PM

Corporal

• 39952 battles
  • [LANCR] LANCR
I had a few things but really. whats the point.  its bad.  it wont get better.  

Profanisaurus #13 Posted 30 October 2019 - 05:01 AM

le sigh

• 2017 battles
  • [PBFG] PBFG
I was astonished by how many seriously bad players from ANZ were bashing around in tier 10 in HK pubs last night. Was sure they would all be playing ranked but nope, a sea of 47%ers.
Thanks Conan - (Insert Eggplant here)

AlexTheKid72 #14 Posted 30 October 2019 - 05:35 AM

Sergeant

• 25771 battles
  • [REIGN] REIGN

View PostProfanisaurus, on 30 October 2019 - 05:01 AM, said:

I was astonished by how many seriously bad players from ANZ were bashing around in tier 10 in HK pubs last night. Was sure they would all be playing ranked but nope, a sea of 47%ers.

Some ANZ scrubs were playing ranked .... (ME!)

Profanisaurus #15 Posted 30 October 2019 - 05:40 AM

le sigh

• 2017 battles
  • [PBFG] PBFG

I looked at ranked, then based on this I looked at my Bonds balance, then based on this I looked at my credit balance.

I decided I didn't need that grief and went to bed.

Thanks Conan - (Insert Eggplant here)

CardinalMite #16 Posted 30 October 2019 - 05:56 AM

Captain

• 30765 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

I am disappointed that Prokhorovkha doesn't appear to be in the map rotation for ranked... It seems they picked maps that always have a heavy brawl location. But the meta seems to favour heavies so much, that would it really kill WG to have a map that favoured mediums and LTs for once?

Last night was not good at all, I felt tired before I started playing and normally I would not start playing when that is the case. But of course, time to play ranked is limited  so there is that pressure to grind it.

As a result I did not play well and kept going up then back down again in chevrons... the amount of times I got a good score but were on the losing team so lost a chevron anyway or at best just maintained station, or was on the winning team and just missed out on gaining a chevron..

At least with FL you can always progress even when having a bad night. I know that the whole point of RB is that you have to be skilled to progress and that is fine. But the amount of times you see Obj 279es and Chieftains making ridiculously, insanely risky plays and just getting away with it to get more shots in....

No way is anyone going to convince me that those 2 reward tanks aren't  giving significant competitive advantage.  How is that making RB a skill based game mode?

It's bad enough trying to play mobile mediums in this mode and meta, latency swinging from 135 -280 ms really doesnt help either. If it was a consistent 200ms it would not be so bad.

I will keep trying but I am starting to wonder if the reward tank for this mode is going to be worth subjecting myself to this.

Edited by CardinalMite, 30 October 2019 - 05:57 AM.

HoPeY_ #17 Posted 30 October 2019 - 08:19 AM

Major

• 104073 battles
  • [M-E-G] M-E-G
Not the reward tank you should be after, it's the bonds.

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #18 Posted 30 October 2019 - 09:28 AM

Blue Mountain Aoyama

• Beta-Tester
  • 79240 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY

Why no Prok? Simple

Draw counts as a lose on both sides

The net Chevron is at 0.133 per battle right now, if you add one draw every 5 games the net will be -0.0133333 i.e. majority of people won't get past rank 1

People wasting 15 minutes pots calling kettles black for camping lol

Edited by Aoyama_Blue_Mountain, 30 October 2019 - 09:29 AM.

CardinalMite #19 Posted 30 October 2019 - 09:49 AM

Captain

• 30765 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostHoPeY_, on 30 October 2019 - 12:19 AM, said:

Not the reward tank you should be after, it's the bonds.

1. Only of use if there is something worth buying with bonds. This is where I get told to join a clan and play clan wars purely to then blow it on an auction.

2. I have been interested in the 50t since it was announced as one of the 2 possible rewards for either Ranked battles or Frontline. If it had been the FL reward I would not have even bothered playing ranked at all.

Problem is at the time FL started it was unknown what the reward tank would be. The AE phase 1 that I earned has almost no interest to me so.... yeah. 

In any fair world we would have been able to pick the tier reward tank out of the two just like Clan wars rewards are a choice. But WG have never been interested in a fair world.

kickim #20 Posted 30 October 2019 - 10:57 AM

First lieutenant

• 54686 battles
  • [FUNI] FUNI

Posted this elsewhere yesterday.

So Ranked battles started yesterday and I managed to play 20 odd games, here are my initial impressions on the current variation of RB.

1. Swarming seems to be the meta, seems maybe following the Frontline routine.

Whole team rushes 1 flank leaving the other flank empty or maybe a few brave defenders.

2. Damage and kill still reigns supreme.

Players are very aggressive from get go, trying to do as much damage as fast as possible, hence yolo flank swarming.

3. Kills matter.

I had a decent 2k plus damage with my Leo1, but no kills, got bottom 5th, overtook by players with less damage but with kills.

4. Spotting-assist does show up here and there, so good LT play seems recognized somewhat.

Once in my BC25t, I managed to get 3.3k spotting assist.

5. Capping does quite little (small sample size).

In 1 game, enemy swarmed 1 flank leaving other flank empty, half our team died being rolled over by enemy swarm but we managed to hold out just long enough for our other flank quickly capped without much resistance. Battle summary show few of the cappers had zero damage, bottom in xp.

Anyway, most of the games are played in the qualification stage, so Chevron chasing not really in play for at least half of them. So, things may look different to other players.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users