Ranked battles - just my take

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

Puggsley #41 Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:13 AM

Captain

• 72678 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

Maybe that was the only way he could get a shot Blue? Looks like he is wedged up against the rocks on the right side (?).

One snapshot is a pretty harsh measure of skill, I think all of us would fail that test.

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #42 Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:53 AM

Blue Mountain Aoyama

• Beta-Tester
  • 79242 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY
Oh he did that again a second time after getting shot

Type 4 Medium Tank Chi-To

Puggsley #43 Posted 05 November 2019 - 10:03 AM

Captain

• 72678 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

Kind of hard to decide without the context. 

Hell everyone makes mistakes. Been really interesting watching some of Skill's recent videos where he is showing a much wider range of battles and seeing the noob mistakes even he makes. Its warmed my heart to see him yolo at times just like I do! :)

CardinalMite #44 Posted 05 November 2019 - 12:06 PM

Captain

• 30765 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

I do like when he picks a tank and regardless of results records 3 battles with it. Obviously small sample but watching how a unicum self anslyses and asseses his performance is really interesting.

It also shows how in some  battles it is more about getting the most out of an un-winnable match, that sometimes turns into a special hard carry. Rather than how many just give up or sabotage the team and  do pointless farm damage instead.

“Holiday ops is balanced for Asia because a good player opening 11 boxes will get just as many decorations as a noob opening 75..”—.Murazor new head of global festive events.

"It's like you literally dont read your own posts, let alone others, make up instead what you wished others said, then put a non-sensical counter argument to that imagined post."

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience."

Puggsley #45 Posted 05 November 2019 - 02:01 PM

Captain

• 72678 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

Its good, he talks about what he is hoping to gain as well and how much he is willing to give up to get to a certain spot.

Always looking to get the most out of the game regardless of what it looks like. 

AlexTheKid72 #46 Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:39 AM

Sergeant

• 25774 battles
  • [REIGN] REIGN
Ranked battles last night was definitely the highlight of my 23k games. 2 games out of 16 teams were intellect deficient, the rest were gold, and 2 games (a win and a loss) were the best I have been part of.
I wish every session was like this, randoms included.

I also turned blue, apologised for the high risk shots, actually got thanked for taking them afterwards!

Edited by AlexTheKid72, 06 November 2019 - 07:41 AM.

CardinalMite #47 Posted 07 November 2019 - 06:21 AM

Captain

• 30765 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

I havent been able to play much this week, only 2 sessions since last Friday, currently  sitting at tier 9. Got to within 1 chevron  of tier 10 several  times then got bad runs where I drop to like 8.5 'ish before recovering. 

Hopefully will be able to get bronze done next session, just need to string 3 consistent games in a row..

Consistency is the hard bit, people are more interested in farming damage than winning the matches, which utterly goes against my basic attitude to WoT.

I get why they do it in ranked, it makes sense in many ways, just ensure that if a loss you wont lose a chevron and if a win it will guarantee at least 1. But it really distorts the meta in a way that is not fun. Taking a risk is punished severely, camping is encouraged and of course the blob lemming meta. But also if you are that guy that actually goes back to reset cap or stop a lone LT or medium raid to kill your arty, you are pretty much screwing yourself over very often because meanwhile  you are missing out on the damage farming.

You might secure the win because you did the right thing but not secure much reward. Basically it encourages selfish play. Yay.

One upside is that I see less Chieftains, 907s and Obj 279es now as accounts with those   have already gone up a division. I am sure that it is all skill being accurately reflected and not simply having competitive advantage tanks.... for sure.... yes.

Meanwhile the few you do see at this level are often driven really badly so at least they are less distorting  of match outcomes when faced vs less effective tech tree tanks.

Edited by CardinalMite, 07 November 2019 - 06:30 AM.

“Holiday ops is balanced for Asia because a good player opening 11 boxes will get just as many decorations as a noob opening 75..”—.Murazor new head of global festive events.

"It's like you literally dont read your own posts, let alone others, make up instead what you wished others said, then put a non-sensical counter argument to that imagined post."

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience."

Puggsley #48 Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:03 AM

Captain

• 72678 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

View PostAlexTheKid72, on 06 November 2019 - 09:39 AM, said:

Ranked battles last night was definitely the highlight of my 23k games. 2 games out of 16 teams were intellect deficient, the rest were gold, and 2 games (a win and a loss) were the best I have been part of.
I wish every session was like this, randoms included.

I also turned blue, apologised for the high risk shots, actually got thanked for taking them afterwards!

Nice mate, those games are great. 

I had one in a random last night on Overlord where we came back from being 4 tanks down and the enemy pushing really aggressively, we were backed into a quarter of the map after 5 minutes. Team rallied and slowly whittled them down, noone did anything stupid, lots of info about who was reloading and coordinated pushes when full clips were loaded. Totally memorable, especially as it was the game i got Coal 2.3 done :).  

CardinalMite #49 Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:30 AM

Captain

• 30765 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

In an exception that proves the rule I had a game last night on Karelia ranked battles a bit like that. Other team won hill at start because they had more armoured mediums like 907s and 430Us.

Fortunately the mediums we had including myself acted as forward spotters on the middle and north of the map instead, leveraged the reasonably placed TDs to kill un-coordinated  pushes and eliminate  hill snipers.

The heavies held the south corner with TD support and arty spanked anyone stupid enough to get lit.

It was very campy to be fair but this is one of those situations where the MM makeup of the teams meant it was the only viable strategy on our side.

Everyone called targets, did their roles and supported each other. Shame that isn't  typical of ranked.

Edited by CardinalMite, 07 November 2019 - 09:35 AM.

Ezz #50 Posted 08 November 2019 - 04:29 AM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 71144 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Late to thread but have to say I prefer this grind to FL. Mostly due to not seeing the same map with the same blob cap meta every single battle. Granted I'm only driving an ebr but at least there's variety.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

Dieselnuts #51 Posted 14 November 2019 - 07:30 PM

Sergeant

• 14789 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

I actually made an effort this season. Made it to division 3. The teams are just terrible. I often get the ones that give up all the map for free and camp and wait to die.

I have 4 out of 5 of those token thingos, next season we start from scratch right? My plan is just to rank up a couple divisions again and snag the 3rd tier of annual rewards? I dont have to make it to the end of this season do I?

CardinalMite #52 Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:02 PM

Captain

• 30765 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

Thing is map repetition might be an issue with Frontline, but the map sizes, tier therefore lack vision saturation and make for much more enjoyable gameplay.

Add in a reward system that active punishes you if you don't camp in many situations and overall I just find ranked largely not fun.

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #53 Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:49 PM

Blue Mountain Aoyama

• Beta-Tester
  • 79242 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY
*And everybody still camps at the same bushes anyway because going into open results in instant death from invisible snipers who are too far to be spotted*

Type 4 Medium Tank Chi-To

CardinalMite #54 Posted 14 November 2019 - 11:04 PM

Captain

• 30765 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Argh...! Second night in a row stopped 1 chevron away from rank 8 division 2. Basically had a run of bad games dropped below rank 7,  3 times before clawing back to exactly where I started the session.  FML.

Ezz #55 Posted 14 November 2019 - 11:12 PM

• Beta-Tester
  • 71144 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostCardinalMite, on 15 November 2019 - 01:04 AM, said:

Argh...! Second night in a row stopped 1 chevron away from rank 8 division 2. Basically had a run of bad games dropped below rank 7,  3 times before clawing back to exactly where I started the session.  FML.

My tip, don't play while on the turps (may or may not apply). Last night i'd had a few, had 3 bonus battles left and needed 9 chevs to finish. Got 6 done in 3 battles. Decided i should have another whiskey. Continued to play. Ended up -1 for the night.

Tonight, somewhat more sober, scrapped my way without bonus battles to needing 2 chevs with 5 mins left before curfew. Got malinovka. Giggity.

Edited by Ezz, 14 November 2019 - 11:12 PM.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

CardinalMite #56 Posted 14 November 2019 - 11:29 PM

Captain

• 30765 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostEzz, on 14 November 2019 - 03:12 PM, said:

My tip, don't play while on the turps (may or may not apply). Last night i'd had a few, had 3 bonus battles left and needed 9 chevs to finish. Got 6 done in 3 battles. Decided i should have another whiskey. Continued to play. Ended up -1 for the night.

Tonight, somewhat more sober, scrapped my way without bonus battles to needing 2 chevs with 5 mins left before curfew. Got malinovka. Giggity.

Wish I had that excuse. I did not play very well tonight and had a lot of teams that blobbed  went to one location then didn't push, got surrounded died . This seems be particularly bad on Murovanka, way worse than in random queue.

Unfortunately on those occasions I was not driving a tank that could lead the charge and the tanks that could just would not.. 

HoPeY_ #57 Posted 16 November 2019 - 09:08 PM

Major

• 104073 battles
  • [M-E-G] M-E-G

Whoop, made Bronze, so proud of myself :)

Ezz...found I did a lot better while drinking.

CardinalMite #58 Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:01 AM

Captain

• 30765 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

Things I have learned from ranked.

One thing ranked has done is helped me understand that I need to re-think gameplay with vision saturation like you get with everyone on try hard mode running all tier 10 with food / directives etc.

You don't see  this in quite the same way in many random battles, but this certainly an area I need to improve on especially when it is an all tier 10 random battle.

I also need to get at least one decently  fast tier 10 heavy with turret armour and/or a 430U.

But mainly I need to take less risks than I currently do to secure a win.

I also have to accept that one of my preferred classes to play is much less relevant in tier 10 (ebr excepted). For sure you can still get monster games in tier 10 LTs but it seems much harder to do so consistently with a health pool and armour that means you have virtually  no margin of error. Perhaps my opinion will change a bit when I unlock the T100.

Or maybe just get gud. Definitely some self evaluation is in order.

HoPeY_ #59 Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:08 AM

Major

• 104073 battles
  • [M-E-G] M-E-G
No one cares about the #1 players results?

Ezz #60 Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:13 AM

• Beta-Tester
  • 71144 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
I'm sure wg will scrutinise their performance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users