Jump to content


High tier HE, does anybody else do this?


  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

FeeTFooD #1 Posted 04 November 2019 - 06:14 AM

    Major

  • Beta-Tester
  • 27215 battles
  • 13,084
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
  • Member since:
    03-13-2012

I decided to dip my toes into high tiers again, partially because I had a bad losing streak while working on T5 MoE and partially because I felt like listening to big booms and seeing big numbers. I didn’t have the best success due to lack of practice, but I started doing something which I had never really done before with the E-100, Jagd E-100 and Waffle IV - HE spam. 

 

Due to the abundance of impenetrable turrets and stupidly armoured tanks, I increased the HE load on the Waffle (150mm) and E-100 to 10 rounds to make it 10 HEAT, 10 HE and the remainder as AP, and with the Jagd E-100, 5 HEAT and 5 HE. What I used to do was mostly use AP on these guns and spend more time aiming, but when faced against something that you can’t penetrate - like a hull down or face hugging Soviet heavy, HE is great. Sure the 150mm will only hit for around 350, and the 170 for about 500, but it’s better than nothing. 
 

With the Waffle IV I used to prefer the longboi 128 for the penetration, accuracy and DPM and I played a few games with it and only managed 1000-1500 damage per game due to poor positioning, passive play and not wanting to brawl. With the 150mm however, even though I only had one game, I managed to do almost 3000 damage on Malinovka - including a penetrating hit for 1001 damage against a soviet T9 TD. 
 

Anybody else do this?


kilig ako


Ezz #2 Posted 04 November 2019 - 06:58 AM

    How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

  • Beta-Tester
  • 69052 battles
  • 36,194
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
  • Member since:
    07-17-2012
Umm yes?

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"


Puggsley #3 Posted 04 November 2019 - 07:58 AM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 69099 battles
  • 1,757
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-
  • Member since:
    04-03-2014

Sure do, getting 2.5k from my first HE clip in the Foch 155 was a great way to start a game.

 

Against a good sidescraper I will reach for HE very early on.



Dieselnuts #4 Posted 04 November 2019 - 08:30 AM

    Sergeant

  • Member
  • 14030 battles
  • 218
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-
  • Member since:
    12-16-2015

Watch this vid for research purposes.

 



Alita_My_Angel #5 Posted 04 November 2019 - 01:37 PM

    Bish Bash Bosh

  • Moderator
  • 11816 battles
  • 443
  • [LIHKG] LIHKG
  • Member since:
    08-13-2015
I take more HE rounds in my 60TP than I do AP. In the meta of tanks getting hull down everywhere or side-scraping, I would just dunk a few HE rounds at him and make him look like a fool.

Hate the game, not the player


FramFramson #6 Posted 04 November 2019 - 03:34 PM

    Major

  • Member
  • 43948 battles
  • 3,553
  • [AVAST] AVAST
  • Member since:
    02-22-2015
Yep. Another HE user here. My IS7 carries some for sure (though that ammo capacity is really limiting). Anything with a high-enough calibre gun gets some HE.

LT-playing masochist. It's too much fun to be a mosquito.


Twit_ #7 Posted 05 November 2019 - 12:23 AM

    Staff sergeant

  • Member
  • 18749 battles
  • 251
  • [P__C] P__C
  • Member since:
    11-28-2017

HE is fun for getting the cool one shots but rarely consistent 

 

Just load AP or HEAT and get the full dmg roll every time


The mindset you need to improve

 

 

WHY DO THEY CALL IT OVEN WHEN YOU OF IN THE COLD FOOD OF OUT HOT EAT THE FOOD 


FeeTFooD #8 Posted 05 November 2019 - 11:04 AM

    Major

  • Beta-Tester
  • 27215 battles
  • 13,084
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
  • Member since:
    03-13-2012
I’m happy using HE at long range, it’s really useful at completely messing up Skorpions and light tanks. 

kilig ako


Puggsley #9 Posted 05 November 2019 - 01:04 PM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 69099 battles
  • 1,757
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-
  • Member since:
    04-03-2014

And Leos and ptas, and grilles and FV4005s and all sorts of things.

 

For ages my anti Maus strategy was firing big calibre HE at the lower curve on the turret face for 500 damage, and very commonly starting an engine fire. The second one would then burn him out. 



Politx_killer #10 Posted 05 November 2019 - 02:13 PM

    Loard of Luck™

  • Beta-Tester
  • 42075 battles
  • 6,911
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
  • Member since:
    09-19-2012
Always carry HE on bigger calibers. Comes in handy for leaving a 2% HP tank on 1% so it can kill you.

Forever duelling with pistols for Reaps hat collection.

Also just for Feet


FeeTFooD #11 Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:07 AM

    Major

  • Beta-Tester
  • 27215 battles
  • 13,084
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
  • Member since:
    03-13-2012

View PostPolitx_killer, on 05 November 2019 - 05:13 PM, said:

Always carry HE on bigger calibers. Comes in handy for leaving a 2% HP tank on 1% so it can kill you.

2% on 1hp. 


kilig ako


FramFramson #12 Posted 06 November 2019 - 09:44 AM

    Major

  • Member
  • 43948 battles
  • 3,553
  • [AVAST] AVAST
  • Member since:
    02-22-2015

View PostFeeTFooD, on 05 November 2019 - 06:07 PM, said:

1hp. 

 

Had one of these literally happen to me yesterday. I was on Great Wall in the King Tiger and ran into a solo 1v1 shitfight against an O Ni. I penned him first but then failed to pen the next 4 shots (booo!), meanwhile he was HE'ing away, so I would have been toast and he would be sailing on with no real damage.

 

Got me down to about 30-ish HP or so and then decided to ram/HE me for the last shot. He ended up putting me on exactly 1 HP, so out of... frustration or something, he decided to go to facehug(e) mode. This had the opposite of the intended effect for him because 1) Apparently, even though the Tiger II is a fairly tall tank, he couldn't depress his gun low enough to actually shoot me (?!). 2) he actually covered me from being shot at any further by his own arty 3) his weakspots became gigantic and unmissable.

 

So while RNG had offered him up a nearly free kill, he ended up leaving with only about 300 HP (eventually another of his teammates came around and shot me). I'm sure he came away from that fight in an entirely sanguine and dispassionate mood. :trollface:


LT-playing masochist. It's too much fun to be a mosquito.


FeeTFooD #13 Posted 06 November 2019 - 10:14 AM

    Major

  • Beta-Tester
  • 27215 battles
  • 13,084
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
  • Member since:
    03-13-2012

View PostFramFramson, on 06 November 2019 - 12:44 PM, said:

 

Had one of these literally happen to me yesterday. I was on Great Wall in the King Tiger and ran into a solo 1v1 shitfight against an O Ni. I penned him first but then failed to pen the next 4 shots (booo!), meanwhile he was HE'ing away, so I would have been toast and he would be sailing on with no real damage.

 

Got me down to about 30-ish HP or so and then decided to ram/HE me for the last shot. He ended up putting me on exactly 1 HP, so out of... frustration or something, he decided to go to facehug(e) mode. This had the opposite of the intended effect for him because 1) Apparently, even though the Tiger II is a fairly tall tank, he couldn't depress his gun low enough to actually shoot me (?!). 2) he actually covered me from being shot at any further by his own arty 3) his weakspots became gigantic and unmissable.

 

So while RNG had offered him up a nearly free kill, he ended up leaving with only about 300 HP (eventually another of his teammates came around and shot me). I'm sure he came away from that fight in an entirely sanguine and dispassionate mood. :trollface:

I can’t beat that story but I have a similar one with a 1v1 with an O-Ni. He was on about 1100hp, I was in my Jagdpanzer IV with the 88. I shot him twice from distance with gold, he hit me one and nearly killed me. I rushed in and he was powerless to defend himself. I was too small and agile for him to ram me to death and he could shoot me. I just kept circling and putting shots in. 
 

one of those “why the hell did I delete the replay” moments. 


kilig ako


Ezz #14 Posted 06 November 2019 - 10:24 AM

    How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

  • Beta-Tester
  • 69052 battles
  • 36,194
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
  • Member since:
    07-17-2012
One of my favourite HE moments was coming upon a 100hp 54e1 in my T49. Derp hit him smack centre of the gun, zero damage, got clipped. HE love.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"


FramFramson #15 Posted 06 November 2019 - 12:11 PM

    Major

  • Member
  • 43948 battles
  • 3,553
  • [AVAST] AVAST
  • Member since:
    02-22-2015

View PostFeeTFooD, on 05 November 2019 - 09:14 PM, said:

I can’t beat that story but I have a similar one with a 1v1 with an O-Ni. He was on about 1100hp, I was in my Jagdpanzer IV with the 88. I shot him twice from distance with gold, he hit me one and nearly killed me. I rushed in and he was powerless to defend himself. I was too small and agile for him to ram me to death and he could shoot me. I just kept circling and putting shots in. 
 

one of those “why the hell did I delete the replay” moments. 

 

Circling someone in a casemate tank. :D


LT-playing masochist. It's too much fun to be a mosquito.


FeeTFooD #16 Posted 06 November 2019 - 12:38 PM

    Major

  • Beta-Tester
  • 27215 battles
  • 13,084
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
  • Member since:
    03-13-2012

View PostEzz, on 06 November 2019 - 01:24 PM, said:

One of my favourite HE moments was coming upon a 100hp 54e1 in my T49. Derp hit him smack centre of the gun, zero damage, got clipped. HE love.

Wouldn’t have happened in the manticore. 


Edited by FeeTFooD, 06 November 2019 - 12:39 PM.

kilig ako


MagicalFlyingFox #17 Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:04 PM

    Destroyer of Tier 6 CW

  • Beta-Tester
  • 32761 battles
  • 13,598
  • [YETI] YETI
  • Member since:
    10-03-2012

View PostFeeTFooD, on 06 November 2019 - 03:38 PM, said:

Wouldn’t have happened in the manticore. 

That's more because the manticore would have died before then. 100hp tank, can't pick a fight with that. 


http://www.theuselessweb.com/

 A. Guy on 02 June 2018 - 12:40 AM, said:

Destroyer of Tier 6 CW... says it all about you.


Puggsley #18 Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:59 PM

    Captain

  • Member
  • 69099 battles
  • 1,757
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-
  • Member since:
    04-03-2014

My recent fav was a close run game in the Grille td.

 

Was down to about 4 v 4 and there were only lightly armoured tanks on the enemy so I loaded a HE round. 

 

Crested a hill and came across a FV4005 with about 1600hp left and facing the other way. 

 

Blapped him for 1150 or so in the turret, which also set him on fire and he burned out for about 1500hp all told. :teethhappy: 

 

 

 



FeeTFooD #19 Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:10 PM

    Major

  • Beta-Tester
  • 27215 battles
  • 13,084
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
  • Member since:
    03-13-2012

View PostPuggsley, on 06 November 2019 - 04:59 PM, said:

My recent fav was a close run game in the Grille td.

 

Was down to about 4 v 4 and there were only lightly armoured tanks on the enemy so I loaded a HE round. 

 

Crested a hill and came across a FV4005 with about 1600hp left and facing the other way. 

 

Blapped him for 1150 or so in the turret, which also set him on fire and he burned out for about 1500hp all told. :teethhappy: 

 

 

 

My worst ever was firing HE from the JPE100 at a Lorraine 40t. Hit and penetrated. I had a high chance of one shot killing it. Instead I low rolled and it survived.


kilig ako


mttspiii #20 Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:57 PM

    Major

  • Beta-Tester
  • 31782 battles
  • 17,055
  • [PVP] PVP
  • Member since:
    04-15-2012
I bring a lot of HE in my Chinese tanks. Stuff those damn sidescrapers.

I'm fierce and I'm feeling mighty,

I'm a golden girl, I'm an Aphrodite

 

 





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users