AMA JayMA Ask Me Anything

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
132 replies to this topic

FeeTFooD #61 Posted 28 November 2019 - 10:09 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 27955 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
I know I’ve already had my questions but I do have one more.

Low population on the ANZ cluster means a lot of us are forced to go to HK to play anything above T5 before 6pm DST. For some of us, the ping and packet loss can suddenly spike and become unplayable.

As a result, if we want to play with a stable connection we’re stuck playing T5 against bots. Are there any plans to add :bots: in T6 vehicles? Some of the time they better than actual players (seeing people lose to :bots: is hilarious). This would open up T6 and 7 outside of peak times.

Is this something you would be willing to implement?

kilig ako

Ezz #62 Posted 28 November 2019 - 10:41 AM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 69271 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostFeeTFooD, on 28 November 2019 - 12:09 PM, said:

Is this something you would be willing to implement?

As a side suggestion that has come up a few times - but could the boosters be rejigged so queue time isn't counted. Might keep a few more people playing on ANZ who would normally switch to HK so not to waste their reserves.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

Vader108 #63 Posted 28 November 2019 - 10:44 AM

Sergeant

• 55350 battles

View PostEzz, on 28 November 2019 - 12:41 PM, said:

As a side suggestion that has come up a few times - but could the boosters be rejigged so queue time isn't counted. Might keep a few more people playing on ANZ who would normally switch to HK so not to waste their reserves.

Yes, people like me... :hiding:

Seriously the reason I mostly play on the HK server is not the queue time, its the wasting of reserves. 

If reserves counted in game time only I would be on Au way more. 

CardinalMite #64 Posted 28 November 2019 - 11:06 AM

Captain

• 29621 battles

Agreed. The way reserves work right now actively disincentivises players from playing on the ANZ server.

Right now I am intensively grinding for credits and using a credit booster on the ANZ server is incredibly wasteful as you watch it tick down while queuing. I would almost always use the ANZ server if it wasn't for this.

“Holiday ops is balanced for Asia because a good player opening 11 boxes will get just as many decorations as a noob opening 75..”—.Murazor new head of global festive events.

"It's like you literally dont read your own posts, let alone others, make up instead what you wished others said, then put a non-sensical counter argument to that imagined post."

pr154 #65 Posted 28 November 2019 - 01:08 PM

Sergeant

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 19525 battles
  • [REIGN] REIGN

View PostVader108, on 28 November 2019 - 12:44 PM, said:

If reserves counted in game time only I would be on Au way more. 

Rejigging so that they operate like the national camouflage or tank rental system (i.e. +50% credits for the next 10 battles) would probably encourage more social play with reserves running as well... You don't want to be waiting for your mates to win/die any more than you want to wait in queue while those reserves are ticking away

HoPeY_ #66 Posted 29 November 2019 - 02:06 AM

Major

• 101667 battles
  • [SABRE] SABRE
4. Tonight a nothing special night, CW on HK. Late I notice near 2.5K users online on AU. Is that 2K bots or more? This is getting stupid.

HoPeY_ #67 Posted 29 November 2019 - 04:18 AM

Major

• 101667 battles
  • [SABRE] SABRE

5. [Content removed] Take this thread for example. CW is a complete joke now and god knows where the staff member involved is. Does WG wish it had a passionate crew involved here that understood the community and what it needed [Content removed]?

Insults to WG Staff. Content removed, user sanctioned.

~Wasaabi

Ezz #68 Posted 29 November 2019 - 04:33 AM

• Beta-Tester
  • 69271 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
I'm not sure how you link the performance of the anz staff with the decline of the game globally.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

Currently moderating your English speaking community : AALGMadibaCenturion_NZ, Elite911, Moonbase Patrol Copter 7

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

FeeTFooD #69 Posted 29 November 2019 - 04:47 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 27955 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostHoPeY_, on 29 November 2019 - 07:18 AM, said:

5. [Content removed] Take this thread for example. CW is a complete joke now and god knows where the staff member involved is. Does WG wish it had a passionate crew involved here that understood the community and what it needed [Content removed]?

View PostHoPeY_, on 29 November 2019 - 07:21 AM, said:

Ban me if you like but the total incompetence here for the last few years is not my fault. You had a golden honey pot and you broke it.

OK Boomer

Quote updated.

~Wasaabi

kilig ako

LeSigh #70 Posted 29 November 2019 - 05:38 AM

It's Incredibly Disappointing

• 48859 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Bonus question. Is there any chance we could see a 'coming this month' news item like other servers do and Asia used to to let us know what specials might be coming?

Edited by LeSigh, 29 November 2019 - 05:38 AM.

This account proudly sponsored by WG

Puggsley #71 Posted 29 November 2019 - 05:56 AM

Captain

• 69805 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

View PostFeeTFooD, on 29 November 2019 - 06:47 AM, said:

OK Boomer

Displaying bigotry based on when someone is born is not the best look.

Surely there are plenty of holes in the opinion expressed to point out?

Ezz #72 Posted 29 November 2019 - 06:04 AM

• Beta-Tester
  • 69271 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
That's the point of the meme. It brings with it any number of meaningful discussion points that millennials twitterise into a character efficient aphorism.

IMC_Jezza #73 Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:36 AM

First lieutenant

• 39436 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-
From what I understand, greater than 50% of the Honkers/ANZ playerbase is ANZ based players...

The suggestion of jigging the boosters to cancel out queue times is extremely valid, and could serve 2 purposes....... getting people on the ANZ server, and keeping them there.....

JayRated #74 Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:58 AM

Founder and C.E.O. of Friendship Bracelets Pty Ltd

• Administrator
  • 3766 battles
  • [WG] WG

View PostNapalmer, on 27 November 2019 - 08:41 PM, said:

1. The Sydney Event was great, and so was Cairns. Any ideas as to what month next year the next player gathering will be?

2. Have you considered becoming partnered with the Unbranded Lemon Beverage?

3. Any idea when the Ranked Compensation will be given out, and how it will be done?

4. What's your thoughts on the Sandbox server? Personally, I don't like any of the changes.

5. Double-barrelled tanks before Christmas? :hiding:

Hey Napa!

1. We haven't locked anything in just yet, but you can probably expect the first WeeGee ANZee event of next year to occur by March, and probably in New Zealand!

2. I have, but then that would mean it would become a branded lemon beverage. D:

3. As Ezz hypothesised in a comment below yours, I am under the impression that the rewards that Asia missed out on from season 1 of RB will be divided between the payouts for seasons 2/3 or provided at the end of season 3. But I have confirmed that Asia players will be compensated for the missing season, Matteo would be able to provide more clarity on the when and how.

4. I actually like the idea behind the changes. I think encouraging SPG players to actually choose ammo based on the objective they're trying to achieve with any given shot, as opposed to one shell doing everything. It's Sandbox, which means there's a long way to go before it reaches the public server, but I think the reoccurring attention HQ have been giving to SPGs this year should be seen as a positive step in the right direction.

5. My lips are sealed. :bush:

JayRated #75 Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:01 AM

• Administrator
  • 3766 battles
  • [WG] WG

View PostHoPeY_, on 27 November 2019 - 10:44 PM, said:

2. 90% of players I see in 279's seem to have bought them. That fine? should we all buy them as they are hard to deal with in CW.

3. Obvious place to grind them seems to be the AU server when you see 100 online when it should be empty. Any chance of controlling the opening times of AU to stop rigging?

2. 90%? Where are you getting that figure? Obviously it's not fine but as long as there are things people want there will be other people finding ways to procure them illegitimately. This is not a World of Tanks problem this is a humanity problem, but that's not to say we aren't sanctioning accounts that are reported to have earned tanks through illicit means.

3. How can you grind a 279(e) on a server that struggles to get Tier 10 games? All of the bots that we're dealing with are playing between Tiers 1-3, tiers that are actually exempt from being able to complete campaign missions.

Ezz #76 Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:04 AM

• Beta-Tester
  • 69271 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
3. Find a group of willing participants, go to empty server at odd hours, click battle. Totally legit and I wouldn't ever advocate rigging. I'm sure wg have extensive checks in place to prevent this right???

Edited by Ezz, 29 November 2019 - 10:05 AM.

JayRated #77 Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:16 AM

• Administrator
  • 3766 battles
  • [WG] WG

View Postchook_on_a_stick, on 27 November 2019 - 11:40 PM, said:

1) How come someone who has not played in years  and quite possibly spent no money in the game, gets a free tank for being "loyal" (i.e. remaining registered) , but a player who has played say 10K+ games and spent possibly thousands of dollars in the last say 12 months gets (comparitively speaking) zip e.g.https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/announcements/well-deserved-reward-1118/   or  https://worldoftanks.asia/en/news/general-news/seniority-awards-2019-announcement/  ? Why reward players who do not play and do not spend money ? What is the logic here? Why does WG value them more than people who play and actually spend money?
2) Why does the Asia staff not run giveaways and do videos like the EU and NA servers? 
3)  What Napalmer said about ranked - where is our chance to pick up the missed bonds?
4)  Why is the Asia English website never up to date (i.e. articles are posted on the EU or NA server days before they get tot he Asia portal) when compared to teh EU and the NA server - this is especially weird given that we are AHEAD of those time zones....?
5) Take a break.... have a freebie - this question is on me. ;-)

1. As a free to play game that already cops a lot of flak for it's paid features and paying customers, do you think it'd be a smart call to reward people for how much money they've spent in the game? Besides, someone who's inactive and received the reward isn't exactly flexing it over you anyway, because they've stopped playing, all of the Super Hellcats you've seen in the game are from players who have been around for years and are still playing the game, hence the Well Deserved Reward, so I believe this is a bit of a moot point.

2. You mustn't be looking very hard, because we run giveaways all the time. ANZ has just spent the past month giving away codes on it's stream and through CCs, we recently gave away about 100 TL-1 'Pretty Fly' Offspring tanks. Vondle has been producing a weekly 'WoT to Know' video series, he and I stream every week, Conan streams every week, we've got a Skirmishes event coming up next week which will also be streamed and feature giveaways. So yeah, I would recommend keeping an eye on the Portal or the news in your WGC to make sure you're across all the giveaways, streams and video content that we consistently produce. :)

3. Answered in my response to his question.

4. Yes we are ahead of them in terms of time zone, but everybody still gets the release from HQ and the same time. Because of this, content, videos, leaks and more are often provided by HQ around 11am-1pm UTC, which is the equivalent of 1-3am Sydney time, or 10-1am Singapore time where the Asia content team is primarily based. While the content team does their very best and has spent countless late nights in the office trying to ensure a streamlined release of news and announcements, they can't always stay in the office until midnight several nights a week, compared to EU/NA who because of their time zones are able to receive assets in the middle of their working day. Yes this is absolutely a process that can be improved, and the content team (both local and global) have come a long way this year; but that is why you will occasionally see a delay between our release of an article/video and that of our global colleagues.

5. Love a freebie! Thanks for your questions mate. :)

CardinalMite #78 Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:16 AM

Captain

• 29621 battles

I was watching various streamers during Ranked battles, most of which are European and it was legit shocking how much more rare it was to see Obj 279es and Chieftains on their streams, throughout all phases of RB.

Having none in either team was quite common.

In comparison, here in Asia, you'd often see matchups with at least one 279e and 1 Chieftain, sometimes 2 of each and that carried through all from start to finish of the event.

I somehow dont believe Asia players are amazingly better at campaign missions and Clan wars participation.

Draw your own conclusions..

Edited by CardinalMite, 29 November 2019 - 10:19 AM.

“Holiday ops is balanced for Asia because a good player opening 11 boxes will get just as many decorations as a noob opening 75..”—.Murazor new head of global festive events.

"It's like you literally dont read your own posts, let alone others, make up instead what you wished others said, then put a non-sensical counter argument to that imagined post."

JayRated #79 Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:31 AM

• Administrator
  • 3766 battles
  • [WG] WG

View PostNameWasStolenStresslevel, on 28 November 2019 - 04:01 AM, said:

Hello JayRated and thank you for the oportunity. I have 5 questions. It would be nice if i could get at least some of them answered but not worries if you cant.

1- Are there any problems with Honk Kong (HK) server regarding hardware or structural issues on handling large populations in peak hours? 

Details

2- What about adding some badge or prizes or skin/camo for forum engaged community??

Details

3- Is the player base really decreasing like some people said or is there any prediction that the game is going to lose players? 

Details

4- Will WG remove Win rate statistics from WTR metrics???

Details

5- Do you think it would be nice to have more statistics in the game like "Platoon Ratio" (number of battles in a platoon) or "Annonymous Ratio" (number of battles while playing using the annonnymizer feature)??.

Details

Thx and good day!

Hey mate, thanks for sending your questions through! I hope I can provide at least some sort of answer to all of them.

1. The increased latency is likely due to a cable issue that's currently impacting parts of SEA and Taiwan. As far as I'm aware there is no structural issue with the server or it's ability to handle higher populations of players.

2. If I'm honest, and I said this in my last AMA, the Forums are no longer the focus as an official communication channel from either the point of view of WG or the community at large. The World of Tanks Asia Discord server has between 5-10 times the number of people online at any one time than the number of unique posters on the forums in an entire month. Our Discord server will continue to be optimised to make it more accommodating for all types of players and we will continue to support the Forums for it's dedicated users, but the age of forums being the key external communication channel for gaming communities/the internet at large has long been eclipsed by social media.

3. Like any 10 year old game World of Tanks looses players, there's no disputing that. But there is still absolutely a large enough active player population in all regions to make this game viable and sustainable for many years to come. The closing of the Korea server was more a logistical decision more than a 'dead game' one, as Korea is still one of our leading markets in Asia. As long as people continue to play World of Tanks, our servers will continue to run.

4. Not that I'm aware of, no.

5. I've always been a big fan of statistics, and I'd always love to see more of them! And while I know there's a lot of improvements coming to platooning in future I'm not sure if platoon based statistics (or anonnymiser stats, for that matter) will be part of that.

Have a good day also!

JayRated #80 Posted 29 November 2019 - 10:41 AM

• Administrator
  • 3766 battles
  • [WG] WG

View PostHoPeY_, on 29 November 2019 - 04:06 AM, said:

4. Tonight a nothing special night, CW on HK. Late I notice near 2.5K users online on AU. Is that 2K bots or more? This is getting stupid.

View PostHoPeY_, on 29 November 2019 - 06:18 AM, said:

5. [Content removed] Take this thread for example. CW is a complete joke now and god knows where the staff member involved is. Does WG wish it had a passionate crew involved here that understood the community and what it needed [Content removed]?

Insults to WG Staff. Content removed, user sanctioned.

~Wasaabi

4. This is due to some redirect anomalies that are sending players to the ANZ server upon login, it was occurring last weekend too. They're not bots.

5. Just trying to work out what you're implying through all the red pen. Are you saying you have a better understanding of what the community needs? There's a fair few people I know who'd beg to differ. Managing a game is not about tailoring the experience to how one particular individual likes to play a game, it's about trying to find a compromise that works for the most elite high skill player and the noobiest noob. It's almost an impossible task, which is why variables are always subject to change.

Also tagged with AMA, JayMA, Ask Me Anything

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users