Change my mind - Game is no longer Free to Play

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

BabyGroot #1 Posted 12 January 2020 - 04:25 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 44453 battles

Hello everyone, it's been forever since I last visited these forums. Previously whenever I thread these waters it is to debate and or guide others with whatever game elements.

Anyway, this time it's different. For the past few weeks I've been trying to get back in the game. But i'm struggling real hard with the current meta = GOLD rounds at high tier matches.

I'm not gonna go deeper than that. I think a few rounds on my type 5 pretty much tells me everything wrong with the game right now.

I'm more interested in what the current and presently active players opinion of the game are. Because I really want to have a fun time playing the game, but the meta.. just ruins it for me. I can't enjoy the game if I will be restricted to playing the best tanks that I have to load a ton of gold rounds in order to win.

Things used to be different, I've got 40k something battles and I was for the most part a free to play, player. My load out was always 80 - 90% Normal/HE rounds + 10 - 20% Gold (That I rarely used) because back then the meta allows you to play the game without having to load gold.

So anyway, what are your thoughts? I personally think the game has evolved into pay to win over the years... Change my mind.

Need HELP with Individual Missions?

Follow this link: Urchin's obj. 260 quest log & other EPIC battle replays.

NZ_Tanker #2 Posted 12 January 2020 - 07:16 PM

Private

• 4856 battles

its pretty much pay to win.

alot of Apcr and Heat gets used 

i seen teams smash our team useing that ammo. when a tier 10 users apcr or heat to hit tier 8 tanks 

i have seen enemy teams smash the team im on with gold rounds when games over in 4 mins it tels me they spam heat and apcr while my team used normal ammo

BabyGroot #3 Posted 12 January 2020 - 07:55 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 44453 battles

View PostNZ_Tanker, on 12 January 2020 - 07:16 PM, said:

its pretty much pay to win.

alot of Apcr and Heat gets used 

i seen teams smash our team useing that ammo. when a tier 10 users apcr or heat to hit tier 8 tanks 

i have seen enemy teams smash the team im on with gold rounds when games over in 4 mins it tels me they spam heat and apcr while my team used normal ammo

I've also notice that on replays that QuickyBaby features on his channel, you can see the amount of gold rounds they carry which is honestly alarming.

I know there's whales who spam gold rounds back then, but back then it was really uncommon. Now it seems to be the norm.

I guess that's the reason why my friends list is no longer require me to scroll multiple levels to get to the offline names. Most of them had the sense to quit.

Ezz #4 Posted 12 January 2020 - 07:57 PM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 69877 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Paying had always conferred a competitive advantage in wot. The main change is how obvious wg make it these days.

Edited by Ezz, 12 January 2020 - 08:26 PM.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

afoxq #5 Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:24 PM

Ultimate LUCK Killstealer

• 34310 battles
  • [LUCK] LUCK

Credit earning / farming is super ez pz right now 

Prem time - Daily 50K Bonus and Weekly Vault
Rewards for merits giving random consumables / equipment you can sell
Boxes give random consumables you can sell
Holiday Ops Credit Bonus 

I can run shoot prem ammo all day and on winning games I still make a credit profit, so why bother with even shooting normal ammo ...  

Edited by afoxq, 12 January 2020 - 08:25 PM.

Survived the Bread & Butter Rektage of 2015/16

Survived the DPS Bus Apocalypse of 2014

Winning was is LUCK™

SleepyConstable #6 Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:12 PM

Private

• 977 battles
  • [REIGN] REIGN
I fire APCR or HEAT depending on the map .
Looking for an active that regularly use credit boosters :D

mig31foxhound #7 Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:42 PM

Frenchie of RTA2

• Beta-Tester
  • 20593 battles
Completely agree. It's what I trying to tell before the long break. It just unfair when you armor advantage get completely ripped off then what is the point of playing brainless super heavy and you can't be one?

Don't mind me, I'm just a green tomato.

I'm just a Derp Apprentice of The Derp Side.

Come to the Derp Side...

ibianconeri #8 Posted 13 January 2020 - 01:22 AM

Captain

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 29249 battles
Well, at least the lower tier don't get affected. And after 2 years taking a break from this game. The lower tier still fine while the tier X is just unplayable for me. Since I'm a "brainless" Heavy Tank driver, I just can't afford to let my Maus or Type 5 to be chipped away by the "Gold Slinger" mediums. But at least there's no excessive micro transactions like the "normies" game that wouldn't let you to play the game peacefully as free player.

Edited by ibianconeri, 13 January 2020 - 01:22 AM.

signature.png

"All the good things come to those who wait"

BabyGroot #9 Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:40 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 44453 battles

View Postafoxq, on 12 January 2020 - 08:24 PM, said:

Credit earning / farming is super ez pz right now 

Prem time - Daily 50K Bonus and Weekly Vault
Rewards for merits giving random consumables / equipment you can sell
Boxes give random consumables you can sell
Holiday Ops Credit Bonus 

I can run shoot prem ammo all day and on winning games I still make a credit profit, so why bother with even shooting normal ammo ...  

But that requires a premium time? So the game is basically pay to play now.

[edit]

View Postmig31foxhound, on 12 January 2020 - 10:42 PM, said:

Completely agree. It's what I trying to tell before the long break. It just unfair when you armor advantage get completely ripped off then what is the point of playing brainless super heavy and you can't be one?

It looks like super heavies are the worst tanks to play now since your supposed armor advantage is now a joke.

Edited by BabyGroot, 13 January 2020 - 02:44 AM.

afoxq #10 Posted 13 January 2020 - 03:44 AM

Ultimate LUCK Killstealer

• 34310 battles
  • [LUCK] LUCK

View PostBabyGroot, on 13 January 2020 - 02:40 AM, said:

But that requires a premium time? So the game is basically pay to play now.

10 Episodes of Front Lines also meant a massive credit farm. 

Combo that with Clan and/or Personal Credit Boosters ...

Even without prem time, if one plays decently, farming credits is not really a problem. 

And you wonder why people complain that WG Asia has not been giving us consumable / equipment discounts xD

Survived the Bread & Butter Rektage of 2015/16

Survived the DPS Bus Apocalypse of 2014

Winning was is LUCK™

jerrek1 #11 Posted 13 January 2020 - 04:44 AM

Corporal

• 4780 battles

I went for about 6 months last year free to play. Note I had amazon prime which used with twitch to give me a commander each month, couple of rentals which I did not use that much and one day of premium time. 

I used that one day of premium time to grind a line to tier 6 each month. But most of the month I just played what I had. Having a little bit of gold so you can move equipment was valuable in conserving my credits (although I think an upcoming patch may be doing away with the transfer fee). 

I have only paid for one prem vehicle (tier 6 for a crew trainer) which was cheap I think 15$ or so. 

Grinding new tanks and crews would be the hardest aspect to free to play. The tank rewards and things make it easier on free to play by reducing the amount of grinding and giving you equipment you can sell. Even those large med kits and repairs add up. 

Up to tier 7 it made no real difference, the tanks don't have great armour. You may occasionally have to shoot prem but you can deal with a bit on free to play.

At tier 8 you need to shoot a bit more prem due to heavily armoured tanks but by picking the correct ones (with high normal pen or good HE) you can still do it and obviously tiers 9 and 10 are getting harder. You would not be able to play mostly tiers 9 or 10. Just the odd game

Heavy tanks are going to be the hardest so you probably need to stick away from them above tier 7. Because the of over armoured tanks like type 4 and 5 and Russian heavies prem shells have become virtually not optional. That's the game balance. 

I do recall an equipment sale last month (I think) so we still get them.  

Profanisaurus #12 Posted 13 January 2020 - 05:02 AM

le sigh

• 2017 battles
  • [PBFG] PBFG
29th November, but who is counting, right?
Thanks Conan - (Insert Eggplant here)

Warhammer124 #13 Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:02 AM

Representative of the anti drama organization

• 20165 battles
  • [-VAM-] -VAM-
The game is pretty much free to download, not free to play.
Hippity Hoppity no drama lords on my property 

Ezz #14 Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:28 AM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 69877 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostWarhammer124, on 13 January 2020 - 11:02 AM, said:

The game is pretty much free to download, not free to play.

In that sense it's always been and remains free to play. Further it's possible to be competitive at certain tiers completely for free.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

Dread_Pirate_BlackHeart #15 Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:37 PM

Captain

• Beta-Tester
  • 36407 battles
  • [NZAD] NZAD

Its moving away from pay to win too.

Every player is expected to own at least 1 premium tank, and heavily encouraged to take a premium account, so these two "pay to win" methods are now just the standard.

The most overpowered tanks in the game atm are highly unobtainable to 95% of players, with two examples being the tier 10 Obj 279(e) and the Chieftain.

Which are both only obtainable through TIME spent in the game, and incredible, unbelievable, God level amounts of "luck".

So the game is swinging towards what I would call "Play to win".

It must be seriously hard to play this game for free and NOT get a free premium tank, they throw them at us.

BokNaai_domPoeste #16 Posted 13 January 2020 - 01:00 PM

First lieutenant

• 26999 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

yip game has essentially turned into a HUGE money grab, just amusing how many mentally challenged humans are still out there that spend real money on this game.

but then again, there is hardly any more free to play games where grind is lowed down if you do no spend real $$$.

WOT has just gone full middle finger on the "free to play" crowd.

gotta give it to them though, finding new innovative ways to fleece their customers.

ibianconeri #17 Posted 13 January 2020 - 03:18 PM

Captain

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 29249 battles

View PostBokNaai_domPoeste, on 13 January 2020 - 12:00 PM, said:

yip game has essentially turned into a HUGE money grab, just amusing how many mentally challenged humans are still out there that spend real money on this game.

but then again, there is hardly any more free to play games where grind is lowed down if you do no spend real $$$.

WOT has just gone full middle finger on the "free to play" crowd.

gotta give it to them though, finding new innovative ways to fleece their customers.

My god, I couldn't help myself, this just too funny to ignore. Yes Indeed, it must be some rich kid or either just the one who you just mentioned. 

signature.png

"All the good things come to those who wait"

BabyGroot #18 Posted 13 January 2020 - 11:06 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 44453 battles

Based on these comments, it would seem that the game is technically still free to play. With the exception of high tiers, the point upon which it is essential to either pay to stay competitive, or become a dedicated player to gather resources provided in game to stay afloat if you're not paying for premium time.

Also note this is from the perspective of Free player. And from my point of view, the end content (tier 8+) per se is accessible for free. But not without huge incentives to pay.

You either spend real money or spend tremendous amount of time grinding.

In the end I think the game is free, but it is essentially pay to win (in high tiers) in multiple elements most notably gold rounds.

Edited by BabyGroot, 13 January 2020 - 11:08 PM.

Profanisaurus #19 Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:39 AM

le sigh

• 2017 battles
  • [PBFG] PBFG

SirFoch manages to play all tiers with virtually no gold (he makes an exception for HESH) and while he has a Premium account he doesn't need it.

So, it is possible, just not for most players.

Thanks Conan - (Insert Eggplant here)

Sevatar_ #20 Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:00 AM

Space Batman

• 40965 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostProfanisaurus, on 14 January 2020 - 10:39 AM, said:

SirFoch manages to play all tiers with virtually no gold (he makes an exception for HESH) and while he has a Premium account he doesn't need it.

So, it is possible, just not for most players.

Ehhhh different servers though. EU does not spam gold like us. He does recommend high base pen vehicles with the latest being the buffed leo line.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users