Jump to content


Helpful hints?

help newbie tanks tech tree

  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

XxxGr1ffinxxX #1 Posted 10 March 2020 - 11:11 AM

    Corporal

  • Member
  • 3811 battles
  • 12
  • [TRAX] TRAX
  • Member since:
    10-29-2017

Hey everyone!

So i'll have a quick talk about me, and why im here asking. so i currently am in grade 11 in school (epic) and i love my warships, but unfirtunately im unable to play it thatnks to A) my laptop doesnt have enough storage and B) last time i done that with my old laptop... it didnt end well for it. and currently i'm playing wot blitz. so yeah, i've been getting into tanks a lot more. and i watch replays alll the time. i'm getting a hard drive to actually have enough storage for anything, but i'm hoping if i can run blitz alright on minimum, normal wot might run alright as well.

 

anyway, thats me. i know a bit about tanks, where to aim (kinda, i know the lower plates and things) i know about premium shells, better penetration in a trade off for less damage, gun calibers and that stuff. however i've heard of hull lock and im not too sure what that is. im going up the kv2 line, AT british tank destroyers, french lights, german td's, russian td's, im very open to what line i grind. i know the jadpanzer is a beast, and the other t10's and i'm hoping to understand SPG's better. 

long story short any hints or tips and advice to help make learning fun will be greatly appreciated. also if its better on different servers (i play NA on blitz)

anyway, feedback will be greatly appreciated, even recommendations to lines, like i said im very open to what, i will learn

 

 



wasaabi #2 Posted 10 March 2020 - 04:49 PM

    This Dude Abides

  • Senior Moderator
  • 23436 battles
  • 7,018
  • [FIDDY] FIDDY
  • Member since:
    07-15-2012
You have found the forums so that is a good start.  Read the pinned notices in this subforum such as the Frequently Asked Questions as a start http://forum.worldoftanks.asia/index.php?/topic/79669-new-player-frequently-asked-questions/

 

 

 

 

 

 WoT ANZ Community Contributor http://www.youtube.com/c/BadTanking


imma_rage_quit #3 Posted 11 March 2020 - 07:38 AM

    First lieutenant

  • Member
  • 32126 battles
  • 998
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
  • Member since:
    05-25-2013

don't race up the tiers, it will only make a you a bad player and canon fodder.

find a class you like and specialize. in other words learn how to play that good or at least above average.

 



steeve_old #4 Posted 11 March 2020 - 04:16 PM

    Corporal

  • Member
  • 43530 battles
  • 69
  • Member since:
    11-27-2015

as bash said take your time and master the lower tiers, get crew skills by playing elited tanks

The difference between a 85% crew and a 4 skill crew is unbelievable



XxxGr1ffinxxX #5 Posted 28 April 2020 - 07:47 AM

    Corporal

  • Member
  • 3811 battles
  • 12
  • [TRAX] TRAX
  • Member since:
    10-29-2017

View PostBash_sh, on 11 March 2020 - 09:38 AM, said:

don't race up the tiers, it will only make a you a bad player and canon fodder.

find a class you like and specialize. in other words learn how to play that good or at least above average.

 

uh oh... is it bad i'm up to the kv-2 already... and the amx elc bis

well maybe i'll pull the handbrake here and specialise, or understand. 

i must say the reason i'm up to the elc bis is that the tier 2,3 and 4 ;light' tanks are... well, dont get me wrong, there were games i blocked 1k+ damage in the amx 40, but i really enjoy the light tank experience.

and i'm still discovering what i like best



XxxGr1ffinxxX #6 Posted 28 April 2020 - 07:48 AM

    Corporal

  • Member
  • 3811 battles
  • 12
  • [TRAX] TRAX
  • Member since:
    10-29-2017

View Postwasaabi, on 10 March 2020 - 06:49 PM, said:

You have found the forums so that is a good start.  Read the pinned notices in this subforum such as the Frequently Asked Questions as a start http://forum.worldoftanks.asia/index.php?/topic/79669-new-player-frequently-asked-questions/

yees, i've played nearly 3k wows games, so i found the forums eventually, maybe at the 1.5k game mark

and watching quackybaby helps :D



MagicalFlyingFox #7 Posted 28 April 2020 - 06:59 PM

    Destroyer of Tier 6 CW

  • Beta-Tester
  • 36066 battles
  • 13,955
  • Member since:
    10-03-2012

View PostXxxGr1ffinxxX, on 28 April 2020 - 09:47 AM, said:

uh oh... is it bad i'm up to the kv-2 already... and the amx elc bis

well maybe i'll pull the handbrake here and specialise, or understand. 

i must say the reason i'm up to the elc bis is that the tier 2,3 and 4 ;light' tanks are... well, dont get me wrong, there were games i blocked 1k+ damage in the amx 40, but i really enjoy the light tank experience.

and i'm still discovering what i like best

Its fine, tier 5 and 6 are the sweetspots when it comes to learning the games mechanics. 

 

Some tanks with the changes are now quite bad and need to be addressed, but most should be fine. Feel free to ask on the forums if you have any questions. 


http://www.theuselessweb.com/

This account is proudly sponsored by Wargaming. 


LeSigh #8 Posted 28 April 2020 - 07:47 PM

    It's Incredibly Disappointing

  • Member
  • 57949 battles
  • 4,418
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
  • Member since:
    03-19-2013

View PostXxxGr1ffinxxX, on 28 April 2020 - 11:48 AM, said:

and watching quackybaby helps :D

 

oh...QB is okay for the basics but there are much better players streaming and on YouTube.

Watch Dakillzor, Yzne, CarryBarry, Skill4LTU, Circon even our own Bolagnaise, Ravvi, Flying_Elite. Most of them are better players than QB. I'd even suggest Vondle when he's on the WG asia Thursday night stream but don't tell him I said that.
 

Circon's YouTube definitely, as it includes a variety of tiers.

 

I was going to propose SirFoch as well, Foch is very good player and fires (almost) no gold but he's a big ball of angry cynicism most of the time which is probably not going to inspire new players.

 

 


Edited by LeSigh, 28 April 2020 - 07:49 PM.

This account proudly sponsored by WG

XxxGr1ffinxxX #9 Posted 29 April 2020 - 08:56 AM

    Corporal

  • Member
  • 3811 battles
  • 12
  • [TRAX] TRAX
  • Member since:
    10-29-2017

View PostLeSigh, on 28 April 2020 - 09:47 PM, said:

 

oh...QB is okay for the basics but there are much better players streaming and on YouTube.

Watch Dakillzor, Yzne, CarryBarry, Skill4LTU, Circon even our own Bolagnaise, Ravvi, Flying_Elite. Most of them are better players than QB. I'd even suggest Vondle when he's on the WG asia Thursday night stream but don't tell him I said that.
 

Circon's YouTube definitely, as it includes a variety of tiers.

 

I was going to propose SirFoch as well, Foch is very good player and fires (almost) no gold but he's a big ball of angry cynicism most of the time which is probably not going to inspire new players.

 

 

yes i've heard of circonflex. i should probably watch a few of his vids

i mean, i watch every 'wot best replays' vids, so could that count? only the best make it there

otherwise thank you very much for these countless names, will get around to them



XxxGr1ffinxxX #10 Posted 29 April 2020 - 09:00 AM

    Corporal

  • Member
  • 3811 battles
  • 12
  • [TRAX] TRAX
  • Member since:
    10-29-2017

View PostMagicalFlyingFox, on 28 April 2020 - 08:59 PM, said:

Its fine, tier 5 and 6 are the sweetspots when it comes to learning the games mechanics. 

 

Some tanks with the changes are now quite bad and need to be addressed, but most should be fine. Feel free to ask on the forums if you have any questions. 

yes that is very true. but for the american t57 heavy line, i know that you get all mediums until the t57 ofc. so that would be a bit of a weird one

and well, the kv2 is a bit of a special one. its playstyle is completely and utterly foreign to anything else



azls73 #11 Posted 29 April 2020 - 09:11 AM

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta-Tester
  • 40372 battles
  • 490
  • Member since:
    06-07-2012

Bro,,WOT PC are far better then Blitz in many many ways !!

I suggest you upgrade to bigger disk with new Windows 64 bit after that

you may go all out battle for years to come !!

WOT with 35GB of sizes,,our battle platform must be in tip top

other wise you have to do all over again and again before 

going to tanks college !!

 

azls73



MagicalFlyingFox #12 Posted 29 April 2020 - 10:54 AM

    Destroyer of Tier 6 CW

  • Beta-Tester
  • 36066 battles
  • 13,955
  • Member since:
    10-03-2012

View PostXxxGr1ffinxxX, on 29 April 2020 - 11:00 AM, said:

yes that is very true. but for the american t57 heavy line, i know that you get all mediums until the t57 ofc. so that would be a bit of a weird one

and well, the kv2 is a bit of a special one. its playstyle is completely and utterly foreign to anything else

There are a fair share of unique playstyles but you can learn most of the mechanics of the game in the mid tiers. After that, its learning playstyles specific to tanks, which is something you should also being doing. The most important thing though is getting the basics down and getting more experience in how games sort of flow and what you can do. 

 

Autoloaders are a playstyle that requires a lot more awareness about your own, your team and the enemies positioning. Its not recommended to start off with those lines and instead visit them after you gain more experience. Its a playstyle that rewards high awareness, good mechanical skill and knowledge and punishes a lack of all of those incredibly harshly. A lapse in judgement can see your battle contribution end. That being said, the only real way to get better at them is to play them. 


Edited by MagicalFlyingFox, 29 April 2020 - 10:54 AM.

http://www.theuselessweb.com/

This account is proudly sponsored by Wargaming. 


XxxGr1ffinxxX #13 Posted 30 April 2020 - 07:08 AM

    Corporal

  • Member
  • 3811 battles
  • 12
  • [TRAX] TRAX
  • Member since:
    10-29-2017

View Postazls73, on 29 April 2020 - 11:11 AM, said:

Bro,,WOT PC are far better then Blitz in many many ways !!

I suggest you upgrade to bigger disk with new Windows 64 bit after that

you may go all out battle for years to come !!

WOT with 35GB of sizes,,our battle platform must be in tip top

other wise you have to do all over again and again before 

going to tanks college !!

 

azls73

believe it or not, my laptop actually has a 64x processor! 

and i got an external hard drive to compensate, with 2tb!. it runs really well, love it.

my mother has asked that my gaming only happens on a proper pc, so i've already got some picks. 

the toasty bros on YT done a $250 gaming pc, with expansion, as in you arent going to be stuck with that forever. 

if you have any other starter pc ideas, by all means let me know! :D



XxxGr1ffinxxX #14 Posted 30 April 2020 - 07:11 AM

    Corporal

  • Member
  • 3811 battles
  • 12
  • [TRAX] TRAX
  • Member since:
    10-29-2017

View PostMagicalFlyingFox, on 29 April 2020 - 12:54 PM, said:

There are a fair share of unique playstyles but you can learn most of the mechanics of the game in the mid tiers. After that, its learning playstyles specific to tanks, which is something you should also being doing. The most important thing though is getting the basics down and getting more experience in how games sort of flow and what you can do. 

 

Autoloaders are a playstyle that requires a lot more awareness about your own, your team and the enemies positioning. Its not recommended to start off with those lines and instead visit them after you gain more experience. Its a playstyle that rewards high awareness, good mechanical skill and knowledge and punishes a lack of all of those incredibly harshly. A lapse in judgement can see your battle contribution end. That being said, the only real way to get better at them is to play them. 

ah yes, very wise words, thank you!

i do like the autoloading lights, buuut i would love the wheeled tanks as well :/ 

nonetheless, like my wows,journey, i will succeed!



azls73 #15 Posted 30 April 2020 - 07:23 AM

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta-Tester
  • 40372 battles
  • 490
  • Member since:
    06-07-2012

View PostXxxGr1ffinxxX, on 30 April 2020 - 07:08 AM, said:

believe it or not, my laptop actually has a 64x processor! 

and i got an external hard drive to compensate, with 2tb!. it runs really well, love it.

my mother has asked that my gaming only happens on a proper pc, so i've already got some picks. 

the toasty bros on YT done a $250 gaming pc, with expansion, as in you arent going to be stuck with that forever. 

if you have any other starter pc ideas, by all means let me know! :D

Well since WOT is running well on your Portable disk,,well done good for you !!

i have my many branded HP dell etc desktop refurbished with i3 i5 just upgrade the RAM and Nvidia/AMD or using Intel HD

tanks will flying - i sell pc's to office's it is my day jobs my night jobs battle inside WOT 

come to Malaysia then !! 

take care then bye



CelestiaLudenberg #16 Posted 30 April 2020 - 10:38 AM

    On Conan's Naughty List

  • Member
  • 25806 battles
  • 1,105
  • [IMPCT] IMPCT
  • Member since:
    09-17-2016

The game has a very steep learning curve, not as steep as games like R6S, but it is still pretty overwhelming.

 

Best thing to do is to hang around tier 6, especially now that tier 6 and below has been rebalanced to more forgiving.

 

Figure out what playstyle you like the most/works best for you, then use that to figure out which lines fit the bill. Always make sure you fully understand a vehicle before going to the next tier, as tempting as it may be to get to the top tier tanks as fast as you can, don't.

 

I rushed up myself when I first started and it was a terrible decision.

 

My typical rule of thumb is that when you can reliably do your own tanks health in damage, or in the case of light tanks, your tanks health in assist, then you are okay to go to the next tier. So say you are playing tier 6 heavies, when you can manage to do around 850-1000 damage in majority of your games, you are good to start the process for tier 7. Rinse and repeat.

 

You don't have to fully abide by this, you can easily get the higher tier tank and have games in it, but just don't spam play it. Also when I say you should aim for your own health in damage, I mean when you have the tank fully upgraded/equipped as not having the top gun/engine/turret etc massively gimps performance so it is unfair to measure from then.

 

In terms of suggestions for a PC, it entirely depends on your budget, pricing where you live etc, but this game can run on the shit heaps schools have, so requirements are pretty low. Even just doing the tried and true used Dell Optiplex then throwing a 1050TI in it will do the trick [1050/TI cause it gets all its power from the PCIe slot, and most office PC's don't have PSU's to accommodate a discrete GPU]

 

If you have any questions or whatever, feel free to hit me up.


When you show her all 96kw from your mighty 20E


XxxGr1ffinxxX #17 Posted 30 April 2020 - 10:54 AM

    Corporal

  • Member
  • 3811 battles
  • 12
  • [TRAX] TRAX
  • Member since:
    10-29-2017

View Postazls73, on 30 April 2020 - 09:23 AM, said:

Well since WOT is running well on your Portable disk,,well done good for you !!

i have my many branded HP dell etc desktop refurbished with i3 i5 just upgrade the RAM and Nvidia/AMD or using Intel HD

tanks will flying - i sell pc's to office's it is my day jobs my night jobs battle inside WOT 

come to Malaysia then !! 

take care then bye

oh very nice! woah malaysia is preeetty far away



XxxGr1ffinxxX #18 Posted 30 April 2020 - 10:56 AM

    Corporal

  • Member
  • 3811 battles
  • 12
  • [TRAX] TRAX
  • Member since:
    10-29-2017

View PostCelestiaLudenberg, on 30 April 2020 - 12:38 PM, said:

The game has a very steep learning curve, not as steep as games like R6S, but it is still pretty overwhelming.

 

Best thing to do is to hang around tier 6, especially now that tier 6 and below has been rebalanced to more forgiving.

 

Figure out what playstyle you like the most/works best for you, then use that to figure out which lines fit the bill. Always make sure you fully understand a vehicle before going to the next tier, as tempting as it may be to get to the top tier tanks as fast as you can, don't.

 

I rushed up myself when I first started and it was a terrible decision.

 

My typical rule of thumb is that when you can reliably do your own tanks health in damage, or in the case of light tanks, your tanks health in assist, then you are okay to go to the next tier. So say you are playing tier 6 heavies, when you can manage to do around 850-1000 damage in majority of your games, you are good to start the process for tier 7. Rinse and repeat.

 

You don't have to fully abide by this, you can easily get the higher tier tank and have games in it, but just don't spam play it. Also when I say you should aim for your own health in damage, I mean when you have the tank fully upgraded/equipped as not having the top gun/engine/turret etc massively gimps performance so it is unfair to measure from then.

 

In terms of suggestions for a PC, it entirely depends on your budget, pricing where you live etc, but this game can run on the shit heaps schools have, so requirements are pretty low. Even just doing the tried and true used Dell Optiplex then throwing a 1050TI in it will do the trick [1050/TI cause it gets all its power from the PCIe slot, and most office PC's don't have PSU's to accommodate a discrete GPU]

 

If you have any questions or whatever, feel free to hit me up.

thank you good... maam/sir for these tips! 

and for the pc... i work at maccas (that should explain the budget :D



MagicalFlyingFox #19 Posted 30 April 2020 - 11:22 AM

    Destroyer of Tier 6 CW

  • Beta-Tester
  • 36066 battles
  • 13,955
  • Member since:
    10-03-2012

A decent optiplex with an SSD will set you back maybe around $400-$500. A GTX 1050Ti will be around $250. Its possible to bargain hunt but prices wont stray too far. 

 

I do recommend an SSD simply for the quality of life improvement of not waiting 5 minutes for the PC to turn on and game loading times will decrease a lot too. 


http://www.theuselessweb.com/

This account is proudly sponsored by Wargaming. 


XxxGr1ffinxxX #20 Posted 30 April 2020 - 01:36 PM

    Corporal

  • Member
  • 3811 battles
  • 12
  • [TRAX] TRAX
  • Member since:
    10-29-2017

View PostMagicalFlyingFox, on 30 April 2020 - 01:22 PM, said:

A decent optiplex with an SSD will set you back maybe around $400-$500. A GTX 1050Ti will be around $250. Its possible to bargain hunt but prices wont stray too far. 

 

I do recommend an SSD simply for the quality of life improvement of not waiting 5 minutes for the PC to turn on and game loading times will decrease a lot too. 

eek! yeah nah, its gonna take a looot of savings, maybe a better job even.







1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users