Which gun should you use on the KV-2?

guns KV-2 derp comparison heavy tanks

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

obj_19 #1 Posted 12 March 2020 - 12:18 AM

Corporal

• 1945 battles

what's a KV-2 (for those whove never encountered or seen one)

well, its one of the tier VI tanks after the KV-1.
its a bit like 

KV-1S
        /
KV-1 => T-150

\      ^
         \    ||

KV-2

the only difference between those 4 tanks are, that KV-2 and the T-150 use a 107 mm gun (150 and 122 on KV-2, 85, 76, 122 and 56 mm on the T-150) and the KV-1S has a better 122 mm than the ones used on the other tanks listed.and the fact that the T-150 is just a KV-1 with the same turret added a cupola, or the top turret is bigger and rounder with a small weakspot in the mantlet and cupola.
the similarities, are, they are all KV tanks (even the T-150), and they share some of the same guns. most common being the 122 mm used in T-150, KV-1 and KV-2, although the KV-1S uses a different 122 mm. second is the 57 mm in the t150 and Kv-1. the KV-1S is a KV-1 with thinner armor and more mobility, T-150 is a bulkier and less mobile KV-1 that has a few upgrades. the KV-2 however, has a MASSIVE fridge of a turret and a Massive 150 mm M-10 howitzer ( an artillery gun, since the KV-2 is an assault tank made for attacking bunkers, hence the massive caliber).
the KV-2 is reliable and can even destroy an IS-4 (tier X) on full  health (if the  is4 refuses to attack you) shooting it in the sides and rear engine deck. needless to say, its a great tank for its tier and can oneshot lots of higher tier vehicles and same tier vehicles.
now for the gun choices
150mm gun
the 150mm on the KV-2 is the biggest no arty gun in tier VI. and it has 100% chance to damage upto tier VII's frontally with the HE shell, reliably (im talking around 200-150 at tier 8 and 750+ at tier VI and below).
the downside is, its less accurate, and stopping to aim leaves it vulnerable. and it has a 20sec reload time, and if with a bad-ish crew upto 25 seconds. the front of the tank (drivers area and below gun mantlet), is weak. easy pickings for other tanks if you stop to aim that massive gun of yours. but its still the best gun if you choose to deal damage reliably.
107 mm gun
the 107 mm, is a gun that, if you want the T-150, you definitely take the time to research. it will save you a lot of grinding on the T-150 with the 85 mm on it. and the gun can be used as the stock gun on the KV-3. the 107 is the top gun of the t-150 and costs 14,400 exp and ~64K credits. and 10,800 credits to arm it with 40 AP shells only. the shells are cheap as well compared to the 150 MM, which can take a solid 9K off you for just ~20 HE shells.
the 107 is more accurate and has a shorter aimtime. it also allows for better RoF and DPM and better gun depression. it has a great 162 mm penetration on the standard round, meaning you can pierce the front of the O-I (unangled) with no problem whatsoever. and also the AT-2 tier V tank destroyer with no problems. the other good side is, it can overmatch some tier V and VI tanks sidescrapind and deal a decent ~300 dmg average per shot. which is same for the HE of the 152mm on angled armor where the average is around a solid 300 or 450. BUUUUUT..... this gun has nearly half the reload time of the 152 mm, meaning you finish off your opponents faster. the only 2 downsides are you cant oneshot unless you ammorack something or shoot some arty, and the fact that the gun is a lot like the 76 mm on the M4A1 and Sherman III, the shell drops fast and isnt the most accurate, but the latter can be overcome easily by some head scratching and trial and error.
so, for the big question, which gun SHOULD you use??
it entirely depends on you! whether you prefer to reliably deal damage every 20 seconds or want to fight your opponents and constantly be in the battle. so based on playstyle or strategy or map, you can even switch between the guns. here are my map strategies:
all desert maps except el halluf: 150 mm 
all snow maps: 150 mm
mines: 150 mm if you go behind the hill close to the houses and vineyard, 107 if (i strongly advise against this) you prefer to snipe medium tanks coming from the direction of the said houses and vineyards with that easily irritable nashorn or that one Su-100 that tries to push you to go brawl with the mediums.
every other summer map excluding malinovka: 150 mm
malinovka: 150 mm and 107 mm is perfect here.
so it all breaks down to the way you play. every player has a different and unique playstyle, and i recommend experimenting around with both guns, and researching the 107mm even if you wont use it, makes life easier, and you wont have to grind it on the T-150, and the grind is much more fun when you oneshot and have hilarious snapshot and blindshots.
I STRONGLY RECOMMEND RESEARCHING THE 107 AS IT MAKES LIFE EASIER AND TIME SHORTER WITH THAT 85 MM OF THE T-150.
wish you all the best KV-2 drivers, and players choosing to play the kv-2, i hope you all have fun oneshotting TD's and lights.
happy tanking, o7 commanders, o7.

retired blitz unicorn.

not a noob, not too good in pc

arty lover.

kv2 driver in both blitz and pc.

im retrying wheelies
ive always wanted a pz.sfl.ivc
i suck at writing guides lol
******aggressive dabbing******

ForbiddenName #2 Posted 12 March 2020 - 06:27 AM

Corporal

• 39691 battles
  • [SABRE] SABRE
Awesome that wargaming lets you know which random map you will next get so you can change your barrels.... whish I could get that type of subscription service.

jumphonner #3 Posted 12 March 2020 - 06:34 AM

First lieutenant

• 58130 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

View Postobj_19, on 12 March 2020 - 02:18 AM, said:

so, for the big question, which gun SHOULD you use??

it entirely depends on you! whether you prefer to reliably deal damage every 20 seconds or want to fight your opponents and constantly be in the battle. so based on playstyle or strategy or map, you can even switch between the guns. here are my map strategies:
all desert maps except el halluf: 150 mm 
all snow maps: 150 mm
mines: 150 mm if you go behind the hill close to the houses and vineyard, 107 if (i strongly advise against this) you prefer to snipe medium tanks coming from the direction of the said houses and vineyards with that easily irritable nashorn or that one Su-100 that tries to push you to go brawl with the mediums.
every other summer map excluding malinovka: 150 mm
malinovka: 150 mm and 107 mm is perfect here.
so it all breaks down to the way you play. every player has a different and unique playstyle, and i recommend experimenting around with both guns, and researching the 107mm even if you wont use it, makes life easier, and you wont have to grind it on the T-150, and the grind is much more fun when you oneshot and have hilarious snapshot and blindshots.
I STRONGLY RECOMMEND RESEARCHING THE 107 AS IT MAKES LIFE EASIER AND TIME SHORTER WITH THAT 85 MM OF THE T-150.

Completely [edited] question.

If you are not derping HE with the 152mm, you are doing KV2ing all wrong.

The 152mm with HE is the ONLY reason why you would play the KV2.

Infamous BOT, Seal Clubber, Stat Padder, Skrublord and 1AR Untermenschen. Mates of the Corrupt and The Sage of Asia ™.

2 MoE: KV220-2, KV1, Churchill III, Matilda IV, SU100, SU85i, T14, Ram II, M4A2E4, T67, Excelsior

Occasionally seen on StewieJP TV. #getonboard

https://www.twitch.tv/jumphonner

mttspiii #4 Posted 12 March 2020 - 08:16 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 32703 battles
  • [PVP] PVP
TL;DR, use the 152mm, research the 107mm.

I'm fierce and I'm feeling mighty,

I'm a golden girl, I'm an Aphrodite

Warhammer124 #5 Posted 12 March 2020 - 09:25 AM

Representative of the anti drama organization

• 21783 battles
  • [-VAM-] -VAM-
KV-2 without derp gun is like pineapples on pizza.
Hippity Hoppity no drama lords on my property 

Mudguts_Cheese #6 Posted 12 March 2020 - 10:29 AM

Face like a Robber's Dog

• Beta-Tester
  • 44445 battles
  • [LEFT] LEFT

View PostWarhammer124, on 12 March 2020 - 01:25 AM, said:

KV-2 without derp gun is like pizza without pineapple

FTFY

Bigglesfliesagain_ #7 Posted 12 March 2020 - 12:07 PM

First lieutenant

• Beta-Tester
  • 31122 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

No you have interpreted the tech tree wrong, there is only one gun for the KV 2.

#XVMStatsMatter

#DepthMatters

#Are[InsertClanNameHere]Recruiting

Angus775n #8 Posted 12 March 2020 - 12:21 PM

Sergeant

• 64120 battles
  • [PRC] PRC
152mm for the lols and epic damage :-)

Edited by Angus775n, 12 March 2020 - 12:21 PM.

obj_19 #9 Posted 12 March 2020 - 05:03 PM

Corporal

• 1945 battles

View PostForbiddenName, on 12 March 2020 - 03:27 AM, said:

Awesome that wargaming lets you know which random map you will next get so you can change your barrels.... whish I could get that type of subscription service.

well this part's sorta tricky to explain... but i have this weird feeling every time before i play glacier, westfield and elhalluf. (except the fact i never guess elhalluf, i always feel like hmmm desert map??) but then for glacier and westfield i know for sure everytime coz i'll be sitting around thinking, hey what if i go play glacier and just click the battle and im at glacier.
ik it sounds like complete [edited] but its true for me

View PostWarhammer124, on 12 March 2020 - 06:25 AM, said:

KV-2 without derp gun is like pineapples on pizza.

i like pineapples on pizza idk why

View PostBigglesfliesagain_, on 12 March 2020 - 09:07 AM, said:

No you have interpreted the tech tree wrong, there is only one gun for the KV 2.

that only 150 mm gun is guided by stalin. and blessed by stalin 7 times before the battle. but stalin has a gulag rattan stick known as the 107mm. just to punish tanks who think that rushing a kv-2 while its reloading and not paying attention to the gun selection is a great idea.

View Postjumphonner, on 12 March 2020 - 03:34 AM, said:

Completely [edited] question.

If you are not derping HE with the 152mm, you are doing KV2ing all wrong.

The 152mm with HE is the ONLY reason why you would play the KV2.

this is true, but the 150 with ap will always deal 750+ dmg if it penetrates. i tried AP once and it bounced of the front of a jgpz iv, so i dont ap.
but the KV-2 is the punisher of the basement known as the gulag, so its kinda entertaining to oneshot some tier V's with the 107's ap.

View Postmttspiii, on 12 March 2020 - 05:16 AM, said:

TL;DR, use the 152mm, research the 107mm.

best way to sum it up, yes.
i remember when i used to play blitz with a friend, every time i oneshotted a nashorn or a wz-113-g ft or some other poor soul, id scream in the chat with all caps GO TO GULAG (emphasis where i spam the A's) and i'd hear giggles from my friend on discord. and i also pitted the borsig and a KV-2 versus an IS-4 hence the part where it can beat a whole IS-4, tho in the match the borsig took ~580 hp off the IS-4 and the IS-4 flanked and killed th borsig and went for the nearby afk waffletractor auf IV. while he did that i snuck a shot into his rear and did a little to his engine and face hugged him while reloading and the IS-4 absorbed an HE shell to the 'forehead' as QB calls it. then another shot into the turret cheek and i flanked and shot him in the rear with he again and somehow killed him.

Edited by obj_19, 12 March 2020 - 05:09 PM.

retired blitz unicorn.

not a noob, not too good in pc

arty lover.

kv2 driver in both blitz and pc.

im retrying wheelies
ive always wanted a pz.sfl.ivc
i suck at writing guides lol
******aggressive dabbing******

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users