How to fix the trash that Ranked has devolved into

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Napalmer #1 Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:26 PM

Objectionable Individual

• Community Contributor
  • 49930 battles
  • [FORT] FORT

A few simple fixes that would actually gauge player skill, and actually make the mode fun:

1.  Remove SPG - Seriously, why does this even exist in ranked? A mode based supposedly on player skill and you have a RNG and map-dependent class able to participate? Nuke it into orbit.
  2.  Reduce team sizes - This reduces camping, which is one of the biggest issues. Also, with smaller teams it gauges your PERSONAL skill better. Either 7v7 or 10v10 would work.
  3.  Hard cap on ONE Tank Destroyer per team - again, this is to prevent static gameplay. Seeing as half the MT players think they're actually TDs, this wouldn't affect the MM that much.
  4.  Change the battle type to Attack/Defence - This clearly defines the goals for both teams and has been one of the most effective ways to run tournaments in the past.
  5.  Allow players a few seconds before the battle to swap their tank if required (Similar to Frontlines respawn). This prevents issues where you have a bad tank for a map, and aren't able to perform to your skill level.
  6.  Remove battles that give neutral chevron gain - When you have a mode based on chevron ratio, neutral battles are effectively -1 and losing battles are -2. I have proposed a solution in the past for this, and am happy to redo it if people are curious on my thoughts.
  7.  Remove Reward Tanks - This one is quite controversial, but I believe in a relatively level playing ground. If you're being compared to your peers, at least compare with vehicles that everyone can get.
  8.  Provide bonus exp in relation to distance to target - Anything over 400m gets no bonus and the bonus increases exponentially as you get closer. This encourages teamwork, aggressive play and co-ordination.

Ranked used to be a decent mode. It has devolved into slow, campy gameplay, that rewards bad habits and selfish play. It is entirely up to RNG if you get a bad team or not, and if your team is losing you MUST be #1 on exp otherwise your chevron ratio (and ultimately ranking) drops. Why punish players that play well but have to put up with trash teams that refuse to even play the game?

This camping meta seems to only be an issue on HK server, so I doubt HQ will ever pay any attention, but I'm curious to see whether the rest of the community agrees with me.

It's sad that Team Clash on EU and RU is considered more competitive than Ranked.

Edited by Napalmer, 26 March 2020 - 10:27 PM.

3-Marked Tanks: Chaffee, Pz. T25, T37, Hellcat, T78, WZ-131G FT, AMX 12T, Cromwell, Skoda T25, SU-100, WZ-131G FT, IS-3, T-54, T-10, T57 Heavy, Object 140, IS-7, E100, Maus, Centurion Action X, Super Conqueror,

AMX 50B, STB-1

Twitch.tv/TheNapalmer

Interested in ANZ Frontlines? Join the discord HERE and join the nightly games!

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #2 Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:39 PM

Blue Mountain Aoyama

• Beta-Tester
  • 79240 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY

Any mode that doesn't encourage winning will suck. Ranked has sucked since the first iteration, and will continue to.

Just replace Chevrons with winrate.

Since you are curious:

1.  Remove SPG - No opinion, people ask for this in randoms anyway. Yet people still bring it to CW. And they dominate so hard in RB in Malinovka and etc. because people are just hulldowning. I will let the playerbase decide what they want, although I am not hoping for any answer since they are so hypocritical.
  2.  Reduce team sizes - If 7v7 reduces camping, then battles should be much more dynamic when the score is 8:8. But they aren't.
  3.  Hard cap on ONE Tank Destroyer per team - No opinion. Since this is like the arty hard cap. Soon there will be LT hard cap too. Not a problem if people play to win to begin with.
  4.  Change the battle type to Attack/Defence - Works if people are playing best of 6 on the same map. Otherwise it will just make winrate drift towards 50% due to bad@balance. Also one side is obligated to camp to win.
  5.  Allow players a few seconds before the battle to swap their tank if required Completely screws MM. Players do not suffer risk of bringing certain tank types e.g. Wheelies and arty OP but screwed in city. Now they can be OP forever. Also for example, people can screw with MM e.g. I pick a HT. After the match is made, I switch to EBR so my team now has 2 EBR.
  6.  Remove battles that give neutral chevron gain - Not sure what this means. Chevron system is bad anywayz.
  7.  Remove Reward Tanks - No opinion. Same problem applies to all modes.
  8.  Provide bonus exp in relation to distance to target - I can't support this. Sniping done correctly is also playing to win. There are some positions that can only be hit from a hill 400m away from example. When you scout in Malinovka Prokhorovka Highway, you need somebody to shoot. In Mines you need snipers to counter hill, the "dynamic gameplay" southwest island also requires sniping the mid, in Malinovka you need snipers to prevent free movement. and people who captured mid needs to snipe hill or enemy base. And by reducing the XP the shooter earns, you also screw the scout that takes from what the shooter earns. But XP and Chevron system is bad anywayz.

Edited by Aoyama_Blue_Mountain, 26 March 2020 - 11:30 PM.

Type 4 Medium Tank Chi-To

jerrek1 #3 Posted 27 March 2020 - 05:07 AM

Corporal

• 5053 battles

1. They reduced it to 2 because they know its craps the game but I doubt it will go further. I laughed watching truvoodoo this last week because anytime he wanted to ensure chevrons going up he purchased a T92 and played arty. Because they survive to the end and get risk free shots couple of times a minute he got consistent chevrons without loosing them often. Hence why the arty que is always full.

3. Rubbish. It makes no difference to how each person plays. If they wanted to charge in like a light tank they would have chosen that. Some of the best aggressive vehicles in tier may be TD. Like 268v4. 

5. As mentioned above allowing the person with all the OP vehicles there choice based on map is not fair.

7. Probably should but at least because they have implemented the double chevron things they have reduced the advantage of the 279E and chieftain. If you want to place high in the leagues you really need to double up with multiple vehicles.

8. Rather than this I would like to see them further define and expand the vehicle roles scoring.  

Ezz #4 Posted 27 March 2020 - 06:53 AM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 71144 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

As I start I'd be very interested in how it would play if you just removed reward tanks and wheelies. The other bits dunno really. I quite enjoyed ranked this season, but then I only needed to reach div 1 so it wasn't all that hard.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

Vindictus_Maximus #5 Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:07 AM

Sergeant

• 8594 battles

Tier10 is just broken beyond repair, and I cannot see any way Wargaming can fix it.

The SPGs are a joke for sure, but  the high alpha TDs have completely ruined tier10 for me. Because they allow horrible, horrible players to enjoy success where they should have no right to do so. Here is an example I found last night, but I could find players exactly like him with ease

Pol9lUC.jpg

jIeWuB4.jpg

2k average damage, 1.1 damage ratio, 1.84 destruction ratio. Players like this would just get slaughtered with ease in mid an low tiers, which is why tier10 is just infested with weak low skill players.

Why would this  guy ever try to learn the game? Why would he even bother playing any other tank than tier10 TDs?

Tier10 is a crap tier, with boring play style, filled with crap players, with tanks that allow said crap players to have great games. Often at the expense of skilled players who get punished.

Get rid of high alpha TDs, get rid of SPGs, get rid of the reward tanks, until then I will stick to mid tiers where good players prosper and crap players suffer.

Ezz #6 Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:09 AM

• Beta-Tester
  • 71144 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
44% win rate won't get him far in ranked tho. It's a mode that heavily rewards those that know how to win.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

Vindictus_Maximus #7 Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:21 AM

Sergeant

• 8594 battles

View PostEzz, on 27 March 2020 - 07:09 AM, said:

44% win rate won't get him far in ranked tho. It's a mode that heavily rewards those that know how to win.

But can you see why players like that guy gravitate to tier10 SPGs and TDs. And how it just ruins the tier as a fun mode to play?

He has played for a month, gets smashed in every tank he plays except the JgPz E100, which allows him to sit in a bush at the back, do 2k damage per game and get Ace Tanker medals, nah tier10 is +redacted+

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #8 Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:30 AM

Blue Mountain Aoyama

• Beta-Tester
  • 79240 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY

View Postjerrek1, on 27 March 2020 - 05:07 AM, said:

Hence why the arty que is always full.

BTW do u know the arty queue is actually faster than the EBR queue

Edited by Aoyama_Blue_Mountain, 27 March 2020 - 07:30 AM.

Ezz #9 Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:35 AM

• Beta-Tester
  • 71144 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
He gets smashed in the jpe too tho. 44% win rate just shows how much of a detriment to his team he's being. And on topic do we even know how he is going in ranked this season?

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #10 Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:39 AM

Blue Mountain Aoyama

• Beta-Tester
  • 79240 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY

View PostVindictus_Maximus, on 27 March 2020 - 07:07 AM, said:

The SPGs are a joke for sure, but  the high alpha TDs have completely ruined tier10 for me. Because they allow horrible, horrible players to enjoy success where they should have no right to do so. Here is an example I found last night, but I could find players exactly like him with ease

Well the fact that this guy below ranked up pretty fast shows some serious issues with the Chevron system. This was taken last week.

Ezz #11 Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:00 AM

• Beta-Tester
  • 71144 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Isn't that div 3 tho blue? It always seemed odd that they chose div 1 to have a star, div 2 to have 1 stripe and div 3 to have 2 stripes.

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #12 Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:12 AM

Blue Mountain Aoyama

• Beta-Tester
  • 79240 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY
Div 3 has 3 stripes, div 2 has 2 stripes, div 1 has 1 stripe

Ezz #13 Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:17 AM

• Beta-Tester
  • 71144 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Are you 100% on that? I could have sworn there's some oddity with it. But the other thing I suspect is happening is people paying for ranked services. Spotted a 45%er get a radleys the other night. Odd....

Edited by Ezz, 27 March 2020 - 08:18 AM.

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #14 Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:29 AM

Blue Mountain Aoyama

• Beta-Tester
  • 79240 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY

Erm pretty sure. I was high div2 during that battle.

And I can rule out paid services because he was playing like a 40%. We lost because he camped instead of spotting to reset. I was an arty in the opposite cap and the splash only worked once. His player statistics for this season is also like a 40%. But his Chevron rate is 50+%

Edited by Aoyama_Blue_Mountain, 27 March 2020 - 08:30 AM.

Vindictus_Maximus #15 Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:57 AM

Sergeant

• 8594 battles

View PostAoyama_Blue_Mountain, on 27 March 2020 - 07:39 AM, said:

Well the fact that this guy below ranked up pretty fast shows some serious issues with the Chevron system. This was taken last week.

I do not like the Chevron System either, promotion should be based on performance regardless of the win or loss. For most decent players, short term win/loss rates fluctuate  - while performance remains consistent. 

A performance based system, involving tech tree HTs. Meds and tracked LTs would maybe interest me in tier 10. I cannot stand these braindead SPGs and TDs, they just make RBs a joke

Ezz #16 Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:15 AM

• Beta-Tester
  • 71144 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Except the chevron system rewards good performance in the losing team too. It allows both retention and potentially even gaining of chevrons. Consistent good performance is how people get thru ranked.

Edited by Ezz, 27 March 2020 - 10:16 AM.

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #17 Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:28 AM

Blue Mountain Aoyama

• Beta-Tester
  • 79240 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY

The problem is what is good.

Right now the system thinks camp sniping is good.

This has been a problem since the first RB and the usage of the Chevron system.

Fix that and people will stop campsniping. Or campers will at least stay in the lower tanks or just quit the game mode. Right now the pushers are quitting the game mode so it will get worse and worse.

Also when u call SPG brain dead, look at the battle I posted above and notice the two highest damage are both SPG. I wonder what kind of battles are taking place to let SPG have such high damages.

Edited by Aoyama_Blue_Mountain, 27 March 2020 - 10:31 AM.

Ezz #18 Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:36 AM

• Beta-Tester
  • 71144 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
I suspect the camp sniping isn't ranked per se, that's the game. The meta shifted to that as maps shifted to either corridors or push and die vision areas. As vindi notes big tds just compound that problem. But again these aren't ranked specific issues. That's just the upper tier meta.

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #19 Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:00 AM

Blue Mountain Aoyama

• Beta-Tester
  • 79240 battles
  • [DADDY] DADDY

Or the good players meta. Correlation observable between stats and how long a player survives. This is a game where u feed on others' mistakes after all. Tourney and CW end with timeout way more often than randoms.

Two tanks hulldown, who is going to move? I see many Kranvagn shooting HE during RB.

Ezz #20 Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:13 AM

• Beta-Tester
  • 71144 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

Further critical choke points which appear a mystery to half of pubbies are basically over loaded in ranked so pushing isn't going to happen. Again tho imo that's the maps rather than ranked. Not going to useless flanks points more at how useless half of maps are. If anything ranked simply highlights how broken some things are in the game, rather than the other way around.

Note again I'm somewhat biased in that I didn't have as much pressure to perform this season. Plus I also tried to steer clear of heavies which imo are most impacted by broken tanks and arty. I enjoyed it enough that I'll give it another wang when I get back to my PC just for the bong rewards.

Edited by Ezz, 27 March 2020 - 11:14 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users