Jump to content


ANZ 2020 - April and Onward (JayMA III)

ANZ 2020 Plans AMA JayMA VonMA Doesnt work as well does it

  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

JayRated #1 Posted 27 April 2020 - 04:01 PM

    Founder and C.E.O. of Friendship Bracelets Pty Ltd

  • Administrator
  • 5246 battles
  • 67
  • [WG] WG
  • Member since:
    10-12-2017

To say it’s been a crazy start to the year I think is a bit of an understatement at this point. Coming back from Christmas break and starting work straight away on the Bushfire Relief stream seems like an eternity ago. I hope you are all safe and well. Staying home and playing Tanks!

 

I want to start this very long post with an admin update. As you may have heard by now there’s been some movement in the ANZ Tanks team. Following Kozzy’s departure in January, I’ve been asked to step into the position of Product Manager for World of Tanks in ANZ. I’m incredibly excited to make this move, but of course it leaves the question of who will serve as your official babysitter Community Manager. With that in mind I think we can all agree that there is no more fitting replacement than our very own Vondle, who will continue to excel in the role as he establishes himself further within our beloved community.

 

Vondle and I are so excited to continue working together under this new team structure. Part of the philosophy we’ve agreed on in the ‘new’ ANZ team is working with as much transparency as we are contractually allowed to share. With that in mind, I’d like to talk about what our priorities are for the ANZ team in 2020 as we all continue to squelch across this absolute wet blanket of a new decade.

 

You can also consider this the Third Chapter in the acclaimed ‘JayMA’ series - but this time Vondle will be along for the ride. Welcome him to the new role and get to know him better! We will be responding to this thread from tomorrow until the end of the week.



JayRated #2 Posted 27 April 2020 - 04:01 PM

    Founder and C.E.O. of Friendship Bracelets Pty Ltd

  • Administrator
  • 5246 battles
  • 67
  • [WG] WG
  • Member since:
    10-12-2017

Bots

Let’s start with an obvious one that’s in a pretty good place as I write this. Over the past 6 months we’ve banned close to 10,000 accounts running bot programs on the APAC servers, with a new system set up running daily detection sweeps. 

 

As is the nature of combating ‘bot’ accounts there will always be more popping up and some that might slip through the cracks, but we are looking at ways to incorporate our social and in-game reporting channels with the updated anti-bot measures. Eventually, the goal is to have your reports automatically processed through our new system.



JayRated #3 Posted 27 April 2020 - 04:02 PM

    Founder and C.E.O. of Friendship Bracelets Pty Ltd

  • Administrator
  • 5246 battles
  • 67
  • [WG] WG
  • Member since:
    10-12-2017

Server Population

Before we get onto the enormous record-breaking weekend we had recently, I’d like to definitively put to bed the “dead game/dead server” comments that get thrown around with varying degrees of seriousness. In 2019, we saw an increase in player-base for both Australia and New Zealand in World of Tanks. Not only in numbers of active players, but also in engagement with the ANZ server. In fact region-wide we are seeing some of the highest engagement levels for the game since it launched in Asia, and that was even before COVID-19.

 

Anyway, allow me to address the 7,000 elephants in the room. Earlier this month the ANZ server saw record-high numbers online over a 4 day period, smashing our previous highest totals considerably. As much as I’d like to pat myself on the back for a job well done (I do that enough as it is) this was obviously an anomaly caused by instability on the HK server, which prompted the game client to direct players to ANZ as the more stable of the two options.

 

While that is obviously not the new normal, it did prove a point I have long been trying to argue with those critical of ANZ match-making times. I’ve pulled some #confidential info to share with you guys that will hopefully make my point, let’s compare two sets of average match-making times for Tiers 8, 9, and 10 on ANZ. 

 

Avg Waiting Time (sec)

Veh lvl

01-04-20

02-04-20

8

73.5

25.3

9

89.0

28.1

10

143.6

58.6

 

Veh lvl

05-04-20

06-04-20

8

24.2

43.8

9

26.8

51.2

10

55.4

94.0

 

The table up the top shows the day before the redirection change and the first day it started. Notice the obvious drop in queue time as the population increases. The second table is the last day of the redirection change and the first day ‘back to normal’. The 6th of April was a Monday, and there was a peak of just under 3K players online, so why are queue times still almost half the length they were on Wednesday, April 1st? Because by this point ANZ players were actually queuing on ANZ instead of HK. Why? They thought they could get games.

 

Q: What happens when ANZ players queue on ANZ thinking they’ll get games? 

A: They get games.



JayRated #4 Posted 27 April 2020 - 04:02 PM

    Founder and C.E.O. of Friendship Bracelets Pty Ltd

  • Administrator
  • 5246 battles
  • 67
  • [WG] WG
  • Member since:
    10-12-2017

Routing

The issue of routing is always a tricky one because it’s just as much a game of ‘chicken or the egg’ between us and ISPs as it is for you as you bounce between WG Support and your own ISP trying to solve the issue. With that being said, there are still some positive updates I can share to this end.

 

We have identified that TPG (and to a lesser extent iiNet) are among the two most troublesome ISPs for ANZ players of our game. Of all the trace reports we collect, these two seem to present routing issues consistently. With that in mind we will be approaching these companies (and others if necessary) to start a dialogue with them in hopes of optimising our routing with their networks long term, but in order to support that we will need as much (current) evidence as possible. If you are experiencing poor ping and are with one of these ISPs, please post your trace report here.

 

Regarding other ISPs and WoT routing in general, we are also prioritising routing optimisation within APAC specifically this year. Looking at improving our internal capacity to review routing issues while also trying to optimise routing for the region as a whole. While no concrete solves are in place as yet we will be sure to keep you updated as we work through this process.



JayRated #5 Posted 27 April 2020 - 04:03 PM

    Founder and C.E.O. of Friendship Bracelets Pty Ltd

  • Administrator
  • 5246 battles
  • 67
  • [WG] WG
  • Member since:
    10-12-2017

Clans and Community Activities

The challenge ANZ presents from a clans and clan wars perspective is unique within the APAC region, and with the exception of Latin America, unique globally as far as World of Tanks goes. A big part of this challenge is trying to play within a system that requires the population to work effectively, but the seemingly obvious calls of ‘change it’ similarly require the population to justify what would be close to a year of developer resources. Clan engagement and competitive activity are the team’s top priority at the moment, and over the coming weeks we will be continuing to engage with ANZ clans of all sizes to ensure we change the current clan system for the better.

 

While nothing is set in stone just yet, our revisions will be focused on reducing the number of ‘tech’ victories, leveling the playing field, and ensuring any rule violations or inappropriate behaviour are handled more effectively.


Community activities on the other hand is something ANZ really excels at, and we’re not going to stop just because we can’t, well, ‘commune’ at the moment. Napa’s Discord server will soon be expanding to facilitate any other themed episodic game modes that should soon reappear. 1AR Shenanigans are still happening aplenty, plus the ANZ team will be upping the ante on their weekly streams soon, bringing codes and quality banter along with them!

JayRated #6 Posted 27 April 2020 - 04:03 PM

    Founder and C.E.O. of Friendship Bracelets Pty Ltd

  • Administrator
  • 5246 battles
  • 67
  • [WG] WG
  • Member since:
    10-12-2017

Other Plans for 2020

Obviously player gatherings would have their own section on this enormous thread were we not in the situation we’re currently in, but rest assured you will have the opportunity to catch up with us in Australia and New Zealand this year should it become legally possible! Otherwise Vondle and I will be hard at work on everything else we have planned this year. Next month we will be launching an all new version of the Community Contributor program, alongside the first ever ANZ server-exclusive event! You can also expect to see the return of competitive tournaments for cash prizes before the year is out.

 

Last (but never least) we need someone to replace Vondle as a Content Producer! If you think you’ve got what it takes to make cool stuff for World of Tanks in ANZ you can apply for the role here.

 

If you actually got to the bottom of this whole post, congratulations! Go and crack yourself open an unbranded lemon beverage. Vondle and I will be lurking this thread answering questions for the rest of the week. Stay safe, stay home, play Tanks!



AKASHA178 #7 Posted 27 April 2020 - 05:01 PM

    Smurfette

  • Council of Armored Forces
  • 43495 battles
  • 5,729
  • [FUNI] FUNI
  • Member since:
    10-22-2012

View PostJayRated, on 27 April 2020 - 11:01 AM, said:

To say it’s been a crazy start to the year I think is a bit of an understatement at this point. Coming back from Christmas break and starting work straight away on the Bushfire Relief stream seems like an eternity ago. I hope you are all safe and well. Staying home and playing Tanks!

 

I want to start this very long post with an admin update. As you may have heard by now there’s been some movement in the ANZ Tanks team. Following Kozzy’s departure in January, I’ve been asked to step into the position of Product Manager for World of Tanks in ANZ. I’m incredibly excited to make this move, but of course it leaves the question of who will serve as your official babysitter Community Manager. With that in mind I think we can all agree that there is no more fitting replacement than our very own Vondle, who will continue to excel in the role as he establishes himself further within our beloved community.

 

Vondle and I are so excited to continue working together under this new team structure. Part of the philosophy we’ve agreed on in the ‘new’ ANZ team is working with as much transparency as we are contractually allowed to share. With that in mind, I’d like to talk about what our priorities are for the ANZ team in 2020 as we all continue to squelch across this absolute wet blanket of a new decade.

 

You can also consider this the Third Chapter in the acclaimed ‘JayMA’ series - but this time Vondle will be along for the ride. Welcome him to the new role and get to know him better! We will be responding to this thread from tomorrow until the end of the week.

yay congratulation mate 

View PostJayRated, on 27 April 2020 - 11:01 AM, said:

Bots

Let’s start with an obvious one that’s in a pretty good place as I write this. Over the past 6 months we’ve banned close to 10,000 accounts running bot programs on the APAC servers, with a new system set up running daily detection sweeps. 

 

As is the nature of combating ‘bot’ accounts there will always be more popping up and some that might slip through the cracks, but we are looking at ways to incorporate our social and in-game reporting channels with the updated anti-bot measures. Eventually, the goal is to have your reports automatically processed through our new system.

excellent work 


In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him.

 

more than 400 new vehicles are still planned for World of Tanks


 

 


AKASHA178 #8 Posted 27 April 2020 - 06:06 PM

    Smurfette

  • Council of Armored Forces
  • 43495 battles
  • 5,729
  • [FUNI] FUNI
  • Member since:
    10-22-2012

View PostJayRated, on 27 April 2020 - 11:03 AM, said:

Clans and Community Activities

The challenge ANZ presents from a clans and clan wars perspective is unique within the APAC region, and with the exception of Latin America, unique globally as far as World of Tanks goes. A big part of this challenge is trying to play within a system that requires the population to work effectively, but the seemingly obvious calls of ‘change it’ similarly require the population to justify what would be close to a year of developer resources. Clan engagement and competitive activity are the team’s top priority at the moment, and over the coming weeks we will be continuing to engage with ANZ clans of all sizes to ensure we change the current clan system for the better.

 

While nothing is set in stone just yet, our revisions will be focused on reducing the number of ‘tech’ victories, leveling the playing field, and ensuring any rule violations or inappropriate behaviour are handled more effectively.


Community activities on the other hand is something ANZ really excels at, and we’re not going to stop just because we can’t, well, ‘commune’ at the moment. Napa’s Discord server will soon be expanding to facilitate any other themed episodic game modes that should soon reappear. 1AR Shenanigans are still happening aplenty, plus the ANZ team will be upping the ante on their weekly streams soon, bringing codes and quality banter along with them!

you guys did fantastic job over discord, which is better for communication over Skype 


In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him.

 

more than 400 new vehicles are still planned for World of Tanks


 

 


K4BeeTee #9 Posted 27 April 2020 - 11:08 PM

    Corporal

  • Member
  • 14197 battles
  • 35
  • Member since:
    04-05-2016
Congrats, righteous promotions indeed! :)

LeSigh #10 Posted 28 April 2020 - 05:24 AM

    It's Incredibly Disappointing

  • Member
  • 53452 battles
  • 4,254
  • [FLEX] FLEX
  • Member since:
    03-19-2013

View PostJayRated, on 27 April 2020 - 08:03 PM, said:

and quality banter along with them!

 

Someone other than you and Vondle taking over?


This account proudly sponsored by WG

Ezz #11 Posted 28 April 2020 - 07:01 AM

    How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

  • Beta-Tester
  • 72791 battles
  • 36,636
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
  • Member since:
    07-17-2012
#banter

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"


LeSigh #12 Posted 28 April 2020 - 09:06 AM

    It's Incredibly Disappointing

  • Member
  • 53452 battles
  • 4,254
  • [FLEX] FLEX
  • Member since:
    03-19-2013

A few questions:

1, What happened to changing the support system so it shows us the information we enter when we raise a ticket if we return to a ticket or we get a response?
2, Can we get rid of the stupid privacy rubbish?  An IGN is not a method of identifying anyone beyond this game, so why does it have to be secret as to what actions are taken against a player either in response to a ticket or in general if action is taken as they have violated the EULA? I mean surely they would revoke those rights once they breach anyway?
3, Can we have a summary of actions taken against people reported for suiciding (as requested by WG staff)?  It does feel like the only action taken is the support team copying and pasting the form replies.

4, Marks of excellence are broken for the tanks that moved up to tier 5 in 1.9 is this on anyone's radar for a fix? Just we've had 3 fix patches since 1.9 and it's still borked.

5, Can we PLEASE get it changed so CWs reward camo can be moved between tanks (The first two - "Clan Elite" and "Clan digital summer" ). It was all well and good to have them locked until WG started bringing out skins for tier 10 tanks. It seems mad that you can move any other camo but not ones earnt as a reward.

 

...as an opening bid.


Edited by LeSigh, 28 April 2020 - 09:08 AM.

This account proudly sponsored by WG

Vondle #13 Posted 28 April 2020 - 10:11 AM

    Corporal

  • Administrator
  • 14456 battles
  • 12
  • [WG] WG
  • Member since:
    10-02-2012

View PostLeSigh, on 28 April 2020 - 11:06 AM, said:

A few questions:

1, What happened to changing the support system so it shows us the information we enter when we raise a ticket if we return to a ticket or we get a response?
2, Can we get rid of the stupid privacy rubbish?  An IGN is not a method of identifying anyone beyond this game, so why does it have to be secret as to what actions are taken against a player either in response to a ticket or in general if action is taken as they have violated the EULA? I mean surely they would revoke those rights once they breach anyway?
3, Can we have a summary of actions taken against people reported for suiciding (as requested by WG staff)?  It does feel like the only action taken is the support team copying and pasting the form replies.

4, Marks of excellence are broken for the tanks that moved up to tier 5 in 1.9 is this on anyone's radar for a fix? Just we've had 3 fix patches since 1.9 and it's still borked.

5, Can we PLEASE get it changed so CWs reward camo can be moved between tanks (The first two - "Clan Elite" and "Clan digital summer" ). It was all well and good to have them locked until WG started bringing out skins for tier 10 tanks. It seems mad that you can move any other camo but not ones earnt as a reward.

 

...as an opening bid.


1. Most likely still on the cards, we're actually doing a fair bit of work with CS soon and I'm sure more transparency when it comes to tickets will be definitely one of the main focuses of this.

2. This is a definite no, and is common practice across the large majority of online games. While I believe their IGN and actions taken by CS should be kept private, I wouldn't mind if you were 100% notified if action HAD been taken upon an account you reported, which is done in some other games (and I quite like), this is something Jay and I are currently investigating, as it would reinforce the system is working for you guys, and that meaningful action is taking place.

3. This could be something similar to us releasing the number of accounts that have had action taken against them, akin to what Jay posted for the action taken against bots, but a itemised account of every account and every action would be a no because of what I stated in 2.

4. This is on the teams radar for a fix.

5. This is a good suggestion :) , I will pass it up the line but don't exactly hold your breath for it in the mean time.

 

 

 

 



LeSigh #14 Posted 28 April 2020 - 10:26 AM

    It's Incredibly Disappointing

  • Member
  • 53452 battles
  • 4,254
  • [FLEX] FLEX
  • Member since:
    03-19-2013
RE: 3 - That is all I was after. A summary to indicate actual actions are being taken would be a good start. I'm definitely seeing repeat offenders in what I alone have lodged (and I accept I am almost certainly the number 1 reporter).
This account proudly sponsored by WG

Ezz #15 Posted 28 April 2020 - 11:23 AM

    How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

  • Beta-Tester
  • 72791 battles
  • 36,636
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
  • Member since:
    07-17-2012
Any chance of up late missions for the ANZ server? Ie missions must be played on anz. Double bonus, anz don't miss out plus you'll get more players on anz from anyone outside anz looking to do the mission.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, RIP Balance and the Cartoon Connection

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"


JayRated #16 Posted 28 April 2020 - 12:46 PM

    Founder and C.E.O. of Friendship Bracelets Pty Ltd

  • Administrator
  • 5246 battles
  • 67
  • [WG] WG
  • Member since:
    10-12-2017

View PostEzz, on 28 April 2020 - 01:23 PM, said:

Any chance of up late missions for the ANZ server? Ie missions must be played on anz. Double bonus, anz don't miss out plus you'll get more players on anz from anyone outside anz looking to do the mission.

 

That's pretty much exactly what we're planning when I mentioned the ANZ server-exclusive event above! More details will be shared early May. :)



Rowendy #17 Posted 28 April 2020 - 01:37 PM

    Private

  • Member
  • 55334 battles
  • 3
  • [CROWN] CROWN
  • Member since:
    10-28-2017
Congrats Jay and Vondle

LeSigh #18 Posted 28 April 2020 - 07:19 PM

    It's Incredibly Disappointing

  • Member
  • 53452 battles
  • 4,254
  • [FLEX] FLEX
  • Member since:
    03-19-2013
Vondle you should have put an IQ test on the ability to come up with questions for the Devs. Dear god, some of the stuff in that thread.
This account proudly sponsored by WG

LeSigh #19 Posted 28 April 2020 - 08:08 PM

    It's Incredibly Disappointing

  • Member
  • 53452 battles
  • 4,254
  • [FLEX] FLEX
  • Member since:
    03-19-2013
An additional question. If I have someone on my blacklist it's usually for a good reason, does anonymiser still bypass this?  It certainly used to and I got the racist or mind-boggling idiocy I probably muted them for.
This account proudly sponsored by WG

JordyBro #20 Posted 29 April 2020 - 05:25 PM

    Captain

  • Council of Armored Forces
  • 26279 battles
  • 1,377
  • [KINGS] KINGS
  • Member since:
    12-25-2012
Nice, excited to hear a focus on tournaments 

 





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users