If WG is capable of fixing just one problem let it be This

arty Artillery Gameplay problems stun

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

Poll: ARTY FIX ASAP (8 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 20 battle in order to participate this poll.

IF WG CAN JUST FIX ONE THING JUST ONE LET BE ARTY BUT HOW?

1. Remove arty completely refund everyone and give us arty strike same used in clan wars and front line battles unlockable only at a certain personal rating figure. (5 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

2. Arty stays remove stun completely nerf the accuracy and damage limit to 1 per team (3 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

Vote Hide poll

adampurkis #1 Posted 15 May 2020 - 08:44 PM

Corporal

• Beta-Tester
  • 23747 battles
  • [FIDDY] FIDDY

Been playing for 7 years love this game ( loved this game). Then they added high tier artillery we were getting 4 to 5 arty per team it was just ridiculous 400 to 1k damage if your in a glass cannon paper tank.

Then they reworked it was still terrible all though you had less of them per game and all the arty players ( hide in the back clicker captains) just kept raging.

After that they reworked arty for some reason I feel the arcs of fire are a lot higher we are getting hit pretty much behind everything they are doing crazy damage including splashing others, even so accurate they can hit light tanks and mediums on the move. This is only the beginning, They added stun. The higher the tier the longer the stun which has pretty much ruined the game completely for me. First Minute into the game we get spotted by a wheeled vehicle that defies all laws of physics by the speed /weight and cornering prowess. Then you get hit smack on the turret dead center while on the move to your position. Module damage tracked and two crew dead. stunned pretty much defenseless in a Russian heavy tank with Stalinium armor unable to shoot a accurate round into anything 5 meters away.you heal your crew repair your broken module or modules and carry on a few seconds later the second arty hit? Could it be this guy has a unbelievable rate of fire? No, Your [edited]. Your entire team is [edited] their are 3 of them on each team. The 3rd arty hits the tank next to you stuns you, you still have module damage left over and no repair kits or any kits left over. The enemy comes in and being unable to shoot properly due to the stupid stun countdown you die.

Now I know this game has a lot of flaws tier 8 is full of premium tanks that somehow perform better than all the stuff on the tech tree, Wheeled vehicles have destroyed the camo/spotting mechanic completely, cannot be stopped and most time when hit side on with a 122 shell will just result in a critical hit. Moreover they have rendered all other light tanks in the game completely useless including the glass cannon TD that usually go to there favorite spot. The maps well lets just not even talk about how the tanks have outgrown the map.I mean Mines? Tier 10? No WG. Just NO.

War gaming seem to be more interested in adding content more tanks to grind more premium russian stalinum armored tanks that everyone will buy, Then get nerfed and then add more new ones then put fake specs for the players to see and tell them its BALANS all tanks are BALANS . 

Atleast WG could fix one problem just one let it be arty the vehicle line that has been reworked twice a third if what they say it true and what some say should never have even been added the game. 

Edited by adampurkis, 15 May 2020 - 08:48 PM.

Ezz #2 Posted 15 May 2020 - 09:40 PM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 77427 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Would rather they addressed balance of the actual tanks, stopped relying on power creep, addressed issues with their maps, tweaked the rewards to make it less viable for bots and bot like play. Arty is what it is. 

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, Balance TM and the Cartoon Connection

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

IAOSIHanaReVana #3 Posted 20 July 2020 - 01:02 PM

Corporal

• 5572 battles
  • [5J] 5J

Arty consumables should be given to LT player imo, as a way of damaging enemies with their passive scouting without exposing themselves. 

Giving them by PR is just... illogical as player distribution in MM isn't PR or WTR based.

as you can see i'm a red hot tomato

Gregori190 #4 Posted 23 August 2020 - 07:19 AM

Corporal

• 10258 battles
  • [RABID] RABID

Interesting that this blog was posted: https://worldoftanks.asia/en/news/featured/nooblog-07b/ with a focus on minimising artillery fire. Yes, artillery fire does take a lot of the fun out of the game, and I always enjoy games where artillery is not present.The feeling that you are being hit by someone who "is not in the actually battle" creates discontent. WOT console maps are much more playable than PC as their not as artillery friendly and provide more cover.

Artillery grievances on your team:

• Watch you take damage in the melee and steal the kill when the enemy is one shot
  • Focus on easy kills as opposed to tactical strikes for the team
  • Taking damage from their fire. This should be nullified.  

Artillery grievances on adversary team:

• You get punished for trying to push (untenable)
  • Tar pits heavy or slower tanks
  • Receiving focused fire from more than one SPG 
  • SPG ability to hit fast moving LT which is totally ridiculous

Not to mention the in game animosity artillery creates. I don't play artillery as it is the lowest class of play from my standpoint.  

JDBC567 #5 Posted 23 August 2020 - 12:22 PM

Sergeant

• 594 battles
arty should involve skill.
the arcade aim/sniper aim mode should be disabled. let the arty players calculate where to shoot. with experiance, you can guess the position where the shell will land fairly accurately(if the physics are still game like).
just give us the shell velocity and the gun elevation angle. its a simple calculation after that.

Puggsley #6 Posted 24 August 2020 - 10:17 AM

Major

• 76345 battles

View PostGregori190, on 23 August 2020 - 09:19 AM, said:

Interesting that this blog was posted: https://worldoftanks.asia/en/news/featured/nooblog-07b/ with a focus on minimising artillery fire. Yes, artillery fire does take a lot of the fun out of the game, and I always enjoy games where artillery is not present.The feeling that you are being hit by someone who "is not in the actually battle" creates discontent. WOT console maps are much more playable than PC as their not as artillery friendly and provide more cover.

Artillery grievances on your team:

• Watch you take damage in the melee and steal the kill when the enemy is one shot Maybe they are trying to not stun you (see point below). Killing low health tanks is one of the priority things to do in this game. It removes a gun. If you are trying for a win then kills from whomever on your team is good. And if credit/xp earn is important then this is an advantage, you get to save your shot for an enemy where you can get full damage and you get half the xp and credits from the arty kill.  
  • Focus on easy kills as opposed to tactical strikes for the team Easy kills are the correct strategic decision in the majority of cases, particularly if the low health enemy has pulled back and is difficult to hit by the front line tanks. Killing 1 low health tank >>> damaging 2 full health with the one shot in nearly all cases. 
  • Taking damage from their fire. This should be nullified. You don't take friendly fire damage at all nowadays. Your arty can however stun you. 

Artillery grievances on adversary team:

• You get punished for trying to push (untenable) Sometimes, but on the other hand getting closer to arty makes buildings and rocks more effective cover.
  • Tar pits heavy or slower tanks These suck for a variety of reasons including ease of arty hitting you. And these days arty does bugger all damage so they might just be off killing light tanks which is apparently really easy to do. 
  • Receiving focused fire from more than one SPG This sucks but you can manage it to some extent - not fighting close to your allies is critical here. For nearly all arty players hitting 2+ tanks with the one shot is in the top 2 of priorities. Don't make yourself a tasty target.
  • SPG ability to hit fast moving LT which is totally ridiculous Purely RNG sometimes you get unlucky. For SPG very very hard to hit a fast moving tank which is not going in a straight line. They are not firing guided missiles.

Not to mention the in game animosity artillery creates. I don't play artillery as it is the lowest class of play from my standpoint.  

If you play a bit of arty it helps you understand what their significant weaknesses are and how you can mitigate them.

AssaultPioneer #7 Posted 01 September 2020 - 03:23 PM

Private

• 16882 battles
  • [NZA] NZA
Would rather they fix the disappearing equipment of my tanks every second bloody patch. I know I'm not the only one this happens too. How many people fall in to the trap of repurchasing equipment for their tanks that just disappeared with an update. Yah comrade, lets make equipment disappear. hahahah, then they buy more equipment. hahahah. Have previously raised tickets with no resolution. Hopeless.

Gregori190 #8 Posted 09 September 2020 - 03:27 PM

Corporal

• 10258 battles
  • [RABID] RABID

View PostPuggsley, on 24 August 2020 - 10:17 AM, said:

If you play a bit of arty it helps you understand what their significant weaknesses are and how you can mitigate them.

Hi,

Thanks for the response, I have played artillery on console and found it only takes knowledge but not skill. And console maps are better for mitigating artillery fire than their PC equivalents. 

I also note your version of artillery player conduct and accept that while there may be some players who play in the ideal scenario your have portrayed, I find it differs in the main either in reality or perceived and does impact on the victim negatively, and to a far greater extent than being taken out by an enemy Light, Medium, Heavy or Tank Destroyer.

Despite your explanations that attempt to justify the presence of artillery the facts remain:

• that artillery players get a free ride on everyone else
  • it is a broken mechanic in the game and does not stop camping, rather it promotes it
  • there is no cover due to over generous splash damage radius that just whittles a tank in cover down
  • artillery hit fast moving tanks with or without RNG and this can be seen regularly in game
  • that artillery is a leading controversial element in the game that receives consistent and ongoing complaints to have it removed
  • artillery creates and harbours player animosity due to the acrimonious nature of the play style from artillery between the victim and the perpetrator (artillery player) 

As an aside, do we see any polls or calls to remove any other class of tank other than SPG's? =  No

Why? Because the other classes don't stimulate the level of player frustration, angst, and game dissatisfaction that artillery does enough to warrant the level of player protest that SPG play has . 

Edited by Gregori190, 14 September 2020 - 07:24 PM.

Ezz #9 Posted 09 September 2020 - 03:44 PM

• Beta-Tester
  • 77427 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Remove wheelies polls existed I'm pretty sure. Sub class tho to be fair.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

Puggsley #10 Posted 11 September 2020 - 08:32 AM

Major

• 76345 battles

View PostGregori190, on 09 September 2020 - 05:27 PM, said:

Hi,

Thanks for the response, I have played artillery on console and found it only takes knowledge but not skill. And console maps are better for mitigating artillery fire than their PC equivalents. 

I also note your version of artillery player conduct and accept that while their may be some players who play in the ideal scenario your have portrayed, I find it differs in the main either in reality or perceived and does impact on the victim negatively, and to a far greater extent than being taken out by an enemy Light, Medium, Heavy or Tank Destroyer.

Despite your explanations that attempt to justify the presence of artillery the facts remain:

• that artillery players get a free ride on everyone else
  • it is a broken mechanic in the game and does not stop camping, rather it promotes it
  • there is no cover due to over generous splash damage radius that just whittles a tank in cover down
  • artillery hit fast moving tanks with or without RNG and this can be seen regularly in game
  • that artillery is a leading controversial element in the game that receives consistent and ongoing complaints to have it removed
  • artillery creates and harbours player animosity due to the acrimonious nature of the play style from artillery between the victim and the perpetrator (artillery player) 

As an aside, do we see any polls or calls to remove any other class of tank other than SPG's? =  No

Why? Because the other classes don't stimulate the level of player frustration, angst, and game dissatisfaction that artillery does enough to warrant the level of player protest that SPG play has . 

WG has access to a huge amount of data which we don't.

Feelings do not equate to data. Basic psychology theories explain how people develop highly skewed perspectives, based on confirmation biases. We all have them, its about recognising them as far as possible and minimising their impact on your play. For example, you get triggered when an arty hits your speeding LT (an extremely lucky shot for the arty) and it buggers up your play for the next few games because you interpret that extreme luck as arty being OP. 

They have stated that arty is balanced as far as they are concerned and are not planning on removing it.

Learn how to minimise its impacts because it is here to stay for the foreseeable future. And playing some arty will help you quickly understand its limitations and how to make it as difficult as possible for them.

Gregori190 #11 Posted 13 September 2020 - 08:44 PM

Corporal

• 10258 battles
  • [RABID] RABID

View PostPuggsley, on 11 September 2020 - 08:32 AM, said:

WG has access to a huge amount of data which we don't.

Feelings do not equate to data. Basic psychology theories explain how people develop highly skewed perspectives, based on confirmation biases. We all have them, its about recognising them as far as possible and minimising their impact on your play. For example, you get triggered when an arty hits your speeding LT (an extremely lucky shot for the arty) and it buggers up your play for the next few games because you interpret that extreme luck as arty being OP. 

They have stated that arty is balanced as far as they are concerned and are not planning on removing it.

Learn how to minimise its impacts because it is here to stay for the foreseeable future. And playing some arty will help you quickly understand its limitations and how to make it as difficult as possible for them.

Hi Puggsley,

I think your liberally applying confirmation bias on the premise of discounting a unified and global dissatisfaction regarding the presence of SPG's in the game and the favour they are granted. Soon the collective of individuals voicing their protest will be labelled as conspiracy theorists. Regardless of the ongoing debate and the "push it under the carpet" approach by WG here are the hard hitting facts that reinforce the argument against artillery:

1. No other class of tank has a limit on its presence in a team roster, that is, only 3 are allowed as it was cut back! This initself clearly identifies that an artillery presence has a a significant single unit ratio advantage over other tanks.  
  2. The former is called a precedent and admits that there is a fault and an ongoing problem with this class of tank, which is further strengthened as WG has played around with splash damage, direct hit power etc:, and yet the presence of this class still creates huge dissatisfaction. That is because the class does not meet the majority of players expectations with a meaningful game experience .  

Furthermore, the reduction of playable SPG's in a game is not a balancing intervention but rather an attenuation to keep a minority of players who choose to play SPG's happy. 

In regards to your advice about "data" :

In research data is not information. It has to be translated and statistically significant. Where the studies independent or internal? How was the research conducted? Longitudinal or cross sectional? What were the working hypotheses and how were they framed, and where are the results? Were they peer reviewed? Given the global dispersion of the player population are the results culturally applicable? Since you referenced them I would be interested to see them. Please send the links.

As an aside, imagine your invited to play a game that states:

• you will be targeted by an enemy that is outside of your range and will create damage and potentially destroy you.
  • the results will impact on your game statistics and player standing
  • the unseen enemy will have friendly units spot for it
  • the unseen enemy will benefit from striking you at a distance where you cannot retaliate. 
  • The unseen enemy will have modes of targeting that you do not have.

Wow! That sounds enticing (not really it is actually absurd)

WOT is a great game and I love it, because of the game play among LT, MT, HT & TD's. Only want to see it better and grow. Change is necessary for anything that wishes to exist. Just fix it and make the game truly enjoyable. In the future, gaming entities will be responsible for providing a safe environment for players that does not subject them to feeling distraught and victimised. There may even be a correlation between the negative emotional and psychological effects of shell shock actual and shell shock digital. This is a potential line of enquiry that could well be explored.  

Wodka_Warrior #12 Posted 13 September 2020 - 10:40 PM

Potato Juice Connoisseur

• 21804 battles
  • [TATI] TATI

View PostGregori190, on 13 September 2020 - 08:44 PM, said:

Hi Puggsley,

I think your liberally applying confirmation bias on the premise of discounting a unified and global dissatisfaction regarding the presence of SPG's in the game and the favour they are granted. Soon the collective of individuals voicing their protest will be labelled as conspiracy theorists. Regardless of the ongoing debate and the "push it under the carpet" approach by WG here are the hard hitting facts that reinforce the argument against artillery:

1. No other class of tank has a limit on its presence in a team roster, that is, only 3 are allowed as it was cut back! This initself clearly identifies that an artillery presence has a a significant single unit ratio advantage over other tanks.  
  2. The former is called a precedent and admits that there is a fault and an ongoing problem with this class of tank, which is further strengthened as WG has played around with splash damage, direct hit power etc:, and yet the presence of this class still creates huge dissatisfaction. That is because the class does not meet the majority of players expectations with a meaningful game experience .  

Furthermore, the reduction of playable SPG's in a game is not a balancing intervention but rather an attenuation to keep a minority of players who choose to play SPG's happy. 

In research data is not information. It has to be translated and statistically significant. Where the studies independent or internal? How was the research conducted? Longitudinal or cross sectional? What were the working hypotheses and how were they framed, and where are the results? Were they peer reviewed? Given the global dispersion of the player population are the results culturally applicable? Since you referenced them I would be interested to see them. Please send the links.

• you will be targeted by an enemy that is outside of your range and will create damage and potentially destroy you.
  • the results will impact on your game statistics and player standing
  • the unseen enemy will have friendly units spot for it
  • the unseen enemy will benefit from striking you at a distance where you cannot retaliate. 

Wow! That sounds enticing (not really it is actually absurd)

WOT is a great game and I love it, because of the game play among LT, MT, HT & TD's. Only want to see it better and grow. Change is necessary for anything that wishes to exist. Just fix it and make the game truly enjoyable. In the future, gaming entities will be responsible for providing a safe environment for players that does not subject them to feeling distraught and victimised. There may even be a correlation between the negative emotional and psychological effects of shell shock actual and shell shock digital. This is a potential line of enquiry that could well be explored.  

Post of the year ◝(⁰▿⁰)◜

Ezz #13 Posted 13 September 2020 - 10:54 PM

• Beta-Tester
  • 77427 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Really sets the stage when they mess up a there they're their as part of they're intro... Hashtag

Puggsley #14 Posted 15 September 2020 - 10:29 AM

Major

• 76345 battles

View PostGregori190, on 13 September 2020 - 10:44 PM, said:

Hi Puggsley,

• you will be targeted by an enemy that is outside of your range and will create damage and potentially destroy you. Like unspotted tds?
  • the results will impact on your game statistics and player standing  Like unspotted tds?
  • the unseen enemy will have friendly units spot for it  Like unspotted tds?
  • the unseen enemy will benefit from striking you at a distance where you cannot retaliate.  Like unspotted tds?

Wow! That sounds enticing (not really it is actually absurd) See how your argument sounds when you swap out SPG for Unspotted TDS which have exactly the same characteristics you describe?

WOT is a great game and I love it, because of the game play among LT, MT, HT & TD's. Only want to see it better and grow. Change is necessary for anything that wishes to exist. Just fix it and make the game truly enjoyable. In the future, gaming entities will be responsible for providing a safe environment for players that does not subject them to feeling distraught and victimised. Maybe there will even be some personal responsibility in the future? There may even be a correlation between the negative emotional and psychological effects of shell shock actual and shell shock digital. Only for snowflakes who have lost all grip on reality. This is a potential line of enquiry that could well be explored.  Good luck with that.

Obviously I don't have access to WG data. You should send your request directly to them.

They do and set the rules of their game. They have stated after the last round of arty changes and in many Developer Blogs that they think arty is reasonably balanced. I read that as they are not planning any major changes. But that is using my old school acceptance of the meanings of words being pretty well fixed and not changing to suit whatever argument you are prosecuting.

Live with it or do something else.

I see you have strong post modernist tendencies. You mention cultural impacts and worry about other people being responsible for mental health. You keep viewing the world as you think it should be. You even go as far as to equate actual battlefield shellshock with the risk of playing a game. 

I appreciate snowflakes are very delicate and tender beings who are incredibly narcissistic. I hope that you don't suffer too much from the incredibly dangerous world. One day you might even grow up and see that the world does not have to revolve around you. Most people do that at about 6 years of age, but some take a little longer.

Edited by Puggsley, 15 September 2020 - 10:29 AM.

Gregori190 #15 Posted 15 September 2020 - 04:03 PM

Corporal

• 10258 battles
  • [RABID] RABID

View PostPuggsley, on 15 September 2020 - 10:29 AM, said:

Obviously I don't have access to WG data. You should send your request directly to them.

They do and set the rules of their game. They have stated after the last round of arty changes and in many Developer Blogs that they think arty is reasonably balanced. I read that as they are not planning any major changes. But that is using my old school acceptance of the meanings of words being pretty well fixed and not changing to suit whatever argument you are prosecuting.

Live with it or do something else.

I see you have strong post modernist tendencies. You mention cultural impacts and worry about other people being responsible for mental health. You keep viewing the world as you think it should be. You even go as far as to equate actual battlefield shellshock with the risk of playing a game. 

I appreciate snowflakes are very delicate and tender beings who are incredibly narcissistic. I hope that you don't suffer too much from the incredibly dangerous world. One day you might even grow up and see that the world does not have to revolve around you. Most people do that at about 6 years of age, but some take a little longer.

Hi Puggsley,

When you start making demeaning inferences about another party you are in debate with it is a sure sign that you have lost your standing. In this instance, and for your own sake, it would have been better not to reply.   

steeve_old #16 Posted 15 September 2020 - 05:11 PM

Corporal

• 43530 battles

When you compare being traumatized by a game noone is forcing you too play to people actually getting bombed you will lose all credence and i love the way you state "rather an attenuation to keep a minority of players who choose to play SPG's happy"  ignoring the fact that arty is so popular they to limit it to 3 per match

You should have tried to play back when there was 7 artys per side

Puggsley #17 Posted 17 September 2020 - 01:39 PM

Major

• 76345 battles

View PostGregori190, on 15 September 2020 - 06:03 PM, said:

Hi Puggsley,

When you start making demeaning inferences about another party you are in debate with it is a sure sign that you have lost your standing. In this instance, and for your own sake, it would have been better not to reply.   

mmmmmmm equates playing a game with shellshock. 

You certainly established your credentials. 

Ezz #18 Posted 17 September 2020 - 01:52 PM

• Beta-Tester
  • 77427 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Some players play as if they are shellshocked. Does that count?

Gregori190 #19 Posted 17 September 2020 - 05:43 PM

Corporal

• 10258 battles
  • [RABID] RABID

View PostPuggsley, on 17 September 2020 - 01:39 PM, said:

mmmmmmm equates playing a game with shellshock. 

You certainly established your credentials. 

at least you have ceased with the shallow armchair psychology

Gregori190 #20 Posted 17 September 2020 - 05:50 PM

Corporal

• 10258 battles
  • [RABID] RABID

View PostEzz, on 17 September 2020 - 01:52 PM, said:

Some players play as if they are shellshocked. Does that count?

absolutely lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users