the challenger. my notes and observations (GUIDE)

guide td british challenger

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

obj_19 #1 Posted 01 June 2020 - 10:47 AM

Corporal

• 3040 battles

so.you got your first TRULY british tank destroyer. not the achilles, its lend lease, and its american made.

quick note: the in-game tank is the cruiser tank challenger at stock and with top turret and second 17-pdr the avengee. WG just put the 94mm 32-pdr for buffing it improving gameplay purposes.

stock

stock, the tank is the challenger. its just the cavalier chassis with a bigger turret and better engine. 

(cromwell is cavalier with RR MK IVB engine and 75mm guns. if you put the dang RR MK IV engine its a cavalier)

its 17-pdr is okay, but for its tier it sucks. stock grind isnt bad if you play this big and misunderstood teaboy aggressively. 

second gun/stock turret

The second gun has penetration that is higher than the first gun. it can penetrate tier 8 with ease, it have better fire rate, and it have better DPM. It is almost the same gun, but better in three aspects above (DFOxTrOxTron)

although, it has some difficulty penetrating the tier 8 tanks Frontally, its helpful to have allies around.

second gun /top turret

congratulations. you have the AVENGER not the CHALLENGER. you can rotate turret 360° and have ridiculously thicc armor at the back of your turret.it helps. a lot. but wait!!! the front has 40mm only, and the sides is worse too.you now take full dmg from arties. best play as a sniper at the start of the game and a flanker/hunter at the end of the game if you have more than 60% of your health left.

top gun,top everything

now you have a proper sniping gun. DPM doesnt change much but alpha does. the 32-pdr is 94 mm ø caliber. so, it has 280 alpha. it acts like a 90mm with only high rolls and 105mm with a low roll. you cant turn turret fully. only 60° to each side. its good for snapshotting and accuracy is mediocre. 

basic summary and tactics

-Abuse bush cover

-You are a TD thats fast and a turret with 60° traverse to each side.retreat when you need to.you will get flanked

-You save HP you carry the team. (if you target unsupported lone opponents like arty)

-open fields are your killing field if you have good cover

-Relocate fast when needed.

-Allies are important when playing aggressively. your turret traverse is inadequate and you can be circled

-have a retreat route ready, there is a reason why you go like 50 km/h

-Avoid Premium tier 8 tanks if you are alone,because if they even smell you they'd turn you into roadkill, some tanks are worth fighting with an ally and not alone. in general keep a distance and soft+hard cover when fighting VS tier 8 tanks and keep an ally to help out.

Follow these steps,then you would do around 1k- 1.6k dmg per game like me. if you want to play aggressively, have atleast 2 medium tanks to 2 heavy tank allies to help if you happen to be in a cinch.

note:this tank is a lengthened overloaded cromwell chassis on steroids and the top gun is a 90/105 mm with a mid life crisis and the top turret is so high it shifted the useful armor to the place ur opponents rarely see. do not play aggressively unless you have the HP to trade effectively and you have the guarantee your team is winning. pick off weak, lone opponents and dont go after players that might or actually do have support. target isolated foes.

thats it for the guide/my notes and observation of the challenger.

obj_19

Edited by obj_19, 01 June 2020 - 11:38 AM.

retired blitz unicorn.

not a noob, not too good in pc

arty lover.

kv2 driver in both blitz and pc.

im retrying wheelies
ive always wanted a pz.sfl.ivc
i suck at writing guides lol
******aggressive dabbing******

DFOxTrOxTron #2 Posted 01 June 2020 - 11:09 AM

Private

• 17664 battles
  • [S4BRE] S4BRE
Few things to note here. on the basic summary. the AMX ELC bis (tier V French Light Tank) has 30 degrees traverse angle which means it turns 15 degrees left and right. and if you accept my critics then this would be one of it
the flaw in your guide is the use of effectiveness of every sentences. the word "congratulations" and this sentence in particular "now you have a better gun. more easy to pen tier 8 tanks right? better fire rate right?. exactly. explains it all. just a pen and rof boost. same gun (more or less)." has a bit of flaw. the first flaw is the sentence have no point, what i mean by that is the sentence assumes that the player already played the tank. it would be more proper if the sentence were more like this "The second gun has penetration that is higher than the first gun. it can penetrate tier 8 with ease, it have better fire rate, and it have better DPM. It is almost the same gun, but better in three aspects above", the sentence looks more effective and it really helps out the new players that is looking at this guide.

Need to mention that M10 Achilles are NOT Loaned vehicles by the Americans to the British. It was a help from the Americans due to lack of Resources that the British had at the time. There were around 1.650 M10 that was brought to British Soil and 1.100 of them were converted/mounted with the 
British Ordnance QF 17 pounder high-velocity 76.2 mm.

obj_19 #3 Posted 01 June 2020 - 11:40 AM

Corporal

• 3040 battles

View PostDFOxTrOxTron, on 01 June 2020 - 08:09 AM, said:

Few things to note here. on the basic summary. the AMX ELC bis (tier V French Light Tank) has 30 degrees traverse angle which means it turns 15 degrees left and right. and if you accept my critics then this would be one of it
the flaw in your guide is the use of effectiveness of every sentences. the word "congratulations" and this sentence in particular "now you have a better gun. more easy to pen tier 8 tanks right? better fire rate right?. exactly. explains it all. just a pen and rof boost. same gun (more or less)." has a bit of flaw. the first flaw is the sentence have no point, what i mean by that is the sentence assumes that the player already played the tank. it would be more proper if the sentence were more like this "The second gun has penetration that is higher than the first gun. it can penetrate tier 8 with ease, it have better fire rate, and it have better DPM. It is almost the same gun, but better in three aspects above", the sentence looks more effective and it really helps out the new players that is looking at this guide.

Need to mention that M10 Achilles are NOT Loaned vehicles by the Americans to the British. It was a help from the Americans due to lack of Resources that the British had at the time. There were around 1.650 M10 that was brought to British Soil and 1.100 of them were converted/mounted with the 
British Ordnance QF 17 pounder high-velocity 76.2 mm.

thanks.corrected required fields.

retired blitz unicorn.

arty lover.

im retrying wheelies

_GoldShellsGrimmy_ #4 Posted 01 June 2020 - 11:42 AM

Private

• 15052 battles
  • [LEM0N] LEM0N
Great effort though I feel like this guide is way too over complicated for a tank with a simple playstyle. Or maybe I'm "artistic" :trollface:

obj_19 #5 Posted 01 June 2020 - 11:43 AM

Corporal

• 3040 battles

View Post_GoldShellsGrimmy_, on 01 June 2020 - 08:42 AM, said:

Great effort though I feel like this guide is way too over complicated for a tank with a simple playstyle. Or maybe I'm "artistic" :trollface:

thanks! appreciate it!

retired blitz unicorn.

arty lover.

im retrying wheelies

crazib #6 Posted 01 June 2020 - 11:54 AM

Captain

• 60961 battles
  • [LEM0N] LEM0N
where is your 1.6k dpg over 100 games in your challenger?

Come visit my stream: twitch.tv/crazib

my replays thread

obj_19 #7 Posted 01 June 2020 - 12:01 PM

Corporal

• 3040 battles

View Postcrazib, on 01 June 2020 - 08:54 AM, said:

didnt sc, but had it last night, i didnt mean DPG i meant you have games like that regularly..

Edited by obj_19, 01 June 2020 - 12:07 PM.

retired blitz unicorn.

arty lover.

im retrying wheelies

Darksider267 #8 Posted 01 June 2020 - 02:55 PM

wait, I can change this?

• 15462 battles
  • [LEM0N] LEM0N

View Postcrazib, on 01 June 2020 - 01:54 PM, said:

Alright, challenge accepted. 2.6k dpg challeger coming soonTM???

NA Transferree

3 marks: Object 140, IS-7, T110E5, Conqueror, WZ-111 111 1 1 11 1-4, T-10, M103, T-44, IS-3, T26E4, T32, T29, M6 Type 64

CaptainNoch_01 #9 Posted 01 June 2020 - 04:18 PM

Sergeant

• 23109 battles
  • [G-I] G-I

Last I played Challenger, it didn't have the 20pdr yet, just the 17pdr (150 alpha damage). While I didn't have the best stats in it, the tank was playable and this was during the time when 3/5/7 was so much more apparent. I can only imagine how much more effective the Challenger can be now when most battles are just +1 mm. 

I am planning to rebuy the Challenger in the near future to fix my stats on it.

signature.png

Why do I still play this game? 

mttspiii #10 Posted 01 June 2020 - 09:17 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 33254 battles
  • [PVP] PVP

View PostCaptainNoch_01, on 01 June 2020 - 04:18 PM, said:

Last I played Challenger, it didn't have the 20pdr yet, just the 17pdr (150 alpha damage). While I didn't have the best stats in it, the tank was playable and this was during the time when 3/5/7 was so much more apparent. I can only imagine how much more effective the Challenger can be now when most battles are just +1 mm. 

I am planning to rebuy the Challenger in the near future to fix my stats on it.

Aye, I remember when I played it that it's like I got a cheapo Comet. In exchange for the 17-pdr, I get half the HP, half the gun handling, half the turret turning, half the mobility, half the armor, and so on...

I'm fierce and I'm feeling mighty,

I'm a golden girl, I'm an Aphrodite

gadaguna #11 Posted 22 June 2020 - 11:49 AM

Private

• 21047 battles

View Postmttspiii, on 01 June 2020 - 01:17 PM, said:

Aye, I remember when I played it that it's like I got a cheapo Comet. In exchange for the 17-pdr, I get half the HP, half the gun handling, half the turret turning, half the mobility, half the armor, and so on...

But but... Challenger's top turret has a glorious 200 mm turret back, Comet don't even come close lol.

Jokes aside, with the added gun and current MM.
Challenger seems to be at the very least stands on the same ground with T25/2.

The 32 pounder seems to be the same with Caernarvon's gun, and it has good gun handling. Probably this will make Challenger lands more shot compared with T25/2. (Only used the 32 pounder on Caernarvon atm)

200 mm turret back is just pure meme, especially funny when it manages to bounce ISU-152 AP shell when we're trying to [edited].

Even with all of its quirks (no armor, squishy gargantuan turret), Challenger is quite fun at times.
Now with 32 pounder available, seems it'll be much more fun experience than what it used to be.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users