How to *ENJOY* playing WOT

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

HyderaBadass1 #1 Posted 20 June 2020 - 08:07 PM

Private

• 3155 battles

SPIRITUAL GUIDANCE FOR WOT NEWBIES ... or any player, really

“If only I get that next tank I’m grinding for, then this will be so much more fun.” If this sounds like you, you’re in for disappointment. The promise of new, better vehicles is the fool’s gold that unfortunately makes WOT (and Wargames as a company) tick.

Higher-tier tanks aren’t always more enjoyable to play. There are some vehicles that are better than others. and there are some that you personally will find more fun than others, but jumping up a tier always means the enemies you face become tougher, too. The end of a long, hard grind can often be a big let-down.

Even if you’re competent and have a good vehicle, you will:

• Get maimed or taken out by snipers whom you can’t see at all, with some regularity (though you’ll learn map positions that reduce how often);
  • Get tracked and sit helpless and immobile while various enemies shell you into swiss cheese, with some regularity (though you’ll learn techniques to reduce how often);
  • Be utterly dependent on teammates having tactical awareness, skill and an interest in teamwork to get victories … most of the time. Sometimes, Personal Missions distract them from even caring much about team victory.

You can’t win them all. You’re doing good if you lose only 50% of your battles. That’s a lot of frustrating defeats, and a new tank won't change it much

In conclusion, WOT is kind of like life. Don’t strive too much for some imagined future reward to make the game for you. Just have fun playingnow. Don’t grind miserably; understand the limits of a PvP world where game balance will never, ever allow you to have many serious advantages over your opponents.

P.S. Semi-pro WOT players who post their battles on YouTube cherry-pick their most outstanding games to publish, so don’t expect to just cruise around the map without a thought for teammates and rack up 11 kills. That’s not normal play, even for the best of the best. Don’t compare yourself to that. It'll just make you feel bad. Enjoy.

NameWasStolenStresslevel #2 Posted 21 June 2020 - 09:48 AM

Captain

• 47636 battles

I like your tips, you have a positive view of the issue of being a new player in WoT. Honestly thats a quite healthy guidance for new players who are prompted to rush the tiers.

When I was a new player I rushed to get the T57 heavy because I thought the higher up you go in the tiers, the better the tank gets and so the more games I would win since I would have more armor and more HP lol.... I didnt even know that 46%WR was a bad thing. But people kept calling me "tomato" in game and mentioning a tool that would show my stats during game, so I started to get curious about stats and curious about the possibility of being able to impact a game.

So I can even understand why new players rush the tiers, there is just more reasons to go up than to stay low for a new player. WG fails to provide players with a proper understand of how the game can be fun for everyone, and not just towards the players who play for fun...

so the guide is accurate to a new player/noob alternative of seeeing the game, maybe its not always about improving, its about enjoying the game from a different angle. Its an interesting alternative indeed. But I would stay in low tiers if I dont want to take the game content seriously, other players might attack you in chat in high tiers, just warning you.

Having META problems?

#Hashtag break the META

(HAHAGHa i must have drank somethin)

https://worldoftanks.asia/en/hall-of-fame/vehicles/A100_T49/#wot&w_ts=overall&w_nb=500

Currently Hall of Fame T49's number 1 in WTR!!! (parameters are *battles +500* and *since 2014's* ranking)

Adrien007 #3 Posted 21 June 2020 - 11:41 PM

Private

• 0 battles

Wow, thanks for the good advice. From this thread a lot Causing me to continue to play very well.

Marketsavvy

ahwai82 #4 Posted 22 June 2020 - 12:39 PM

Corporal

• 2922 battles
  • [KAFC] KAFC

sadly cant have fun when every match a blowout, 2min in 6-0 by 4min in match already a defeat..this is playing t5 t6 for me

is this even fun? no matter which perspective you look at it not even a single bit is fun

improve right? but how a newbie like me wanna improve when match dont even last past 5min

gadaguna #5 Posted 22 June 2020 - 05:47 PM

Private

• 21047 battles

View Postahwai82, on 22 June 2020 - 04:39 AM, said:

sadly cant have fun when every match a blowout, 2min in 6-0 by 4min in match already a defeat..this is playing t5 t6 for me

is this even fun? no matter which perspective you look at it not even a single bit is fun

improve right? but how a newbie like me wanna improve when match dont even last past 5min

Maybe change the mindset.

If you truly put your mind into it, you will get better insight from each defeats.

Most of the time it'll be negligent, yet as you stockpile experiences and knowledge.

Just like how you invest in stocks or mutual fund accounts, it'll take time before it'll be something significant.

With enough battles, you will eventually get better.

As for team melting like butter sliced with hot knife, that can't be helped since it's beyond our control.

But we also has our blame for our defeat.

There are other better options that we could take, but didn't.

This, we can take control of it for the next time.

Maybe try to learn something like:

1. Where did I get spotted
  2. Why did I get spotted
  3. From where did enemies shot me

And hope that the next game will be more favorable.

Also, tier 5 - 6 in 3k battles account.

How much is your crew's major qualification?

Less than 100% and it's hindering you by a great degree.

ahwai82 #6 Posted 23 June 2020 - 12:43 AM

Corporal

• 2922 battles
  • [KAFC] KAFC

View Postgadaguna, on 22 June 2020 - 05:47 PM, said:

Maybe change the mindset.

If you truly put your mind into it, you will get better insight from each defeats.

Most of the time it'll be negligent, yet as you stockpile experiences and knowledge.

Just like how you invest in stocks or mutual fund accounts, it'll take time before it'll be something significant.

With enough battles, you will eventually get better.

As for team melting like butter sliced with hot knife, that can't be helped since it's beyond our control.

But we also has our blame for our defeat.

There are other better options that we could take, but didn't.

This, we can take control of it for the next time.

Maybe try to learn something like:

1. Where did I get spotted
  2. Why did I get spotted
  3. From where did enemies shot me

And hope that the next game will be more favorable.

Also, tier 5 - 6 in 3k battles account.

How much is your crew's major qualification?

Less than 100% and it's hindering you by a great degree.

my crew most 80% so no skill and just say quite poor, so i play careful and hope for the best

but most of the time my lack of map awareness and experience add to the issue..so i kinda play follow others hope i can learn a thing or two and not being useless

just today and few other days before things got worst, endless defeats very very poor match..very campy match until im bored or one sided blowout match..keep getting the same thing over and over i dont see any reason to play anymore

in the end im just bad at this game and ranting over team or the game or what changes nothing so better to stop and leave

gadaguna #7 Posted 24 June 2020 - 09:56 AM

Private

• 21047 battles

View Postahwai82, on 22 June 2020 - 04:43 PM, said:

my crew most 80% so no skill and just say quite poor, so i play careful and hope for the best

but most of the time my lack of map awareness and experience add to the issue..so i kinda play follow others hope i can learn a thing or two and not being useless

just today and few other days before things got worst, endless defeats very very poor match..very campy match until im bored or one sided blowout match..keep getting the same thing over and over i dont see any reason to play anymore

in the end im just bad at this game and ranting over team or the game or what changes nothing so better to stop and leave

80% major qualification is just... Thrashy

You can't spot on your own, aiming took ages, shells landing everywhere except where it needed to be, apparent slightly sluggish mobility.

In my opinion, you only start to play the tank properly with 100% crew.

When I'm grinding tier 4, every 1% increment closer to 100% is satisfying. Faster reload, faster aiming, and more reliable shots are a nice reward for the grueling initial grind.

Problem with following others and joining the lemming train is, most of the time the train will become indecisive and turn into sitting ducks.

Coupled with light tanks that don't provide intel to your team (which seems to be plenty nowadays), it will be a matter of time before you're butchered helplessly. Unable to return fire. And yes, it's not a fun experience.

If your team is able to spot the enemies, at the very least you can return fire occasionally. But it will be a boring campfest, it's only a matter of endurance of who will become impatient first.

Also, matchmaker seems to be drunk lately.

Consecutive loss seems to be not that uncommon, at least in the past 2 weeks it's also like that for me.

This might be a bias.

But nowadays, people are not willing to communicate at all. No one bother with plan and strategy most of the time.

Back when I'm closer to your position, seems the team is more receptive at communication within battle.

Now it's mostly when a mute moron doing risky unrewarding play died, they ping the map to some guy endlessly. So much for the radial messages created by glorious WG.

If you decide to quit. In the spirit of OP's post and Marie Kondo's meme.

Just try to have fun with this game, and if it doesn't just quit and try have fun somewhere else.

Quitter never wins and winner never quits is an overrated statement, at least in this context.

So yeah.

Mixed into uncooperative team. Boring campfest. Your tank is not working properly yet. You don't feel masochist enough to endure the grueling grind. It's just not a joyful gaming experience.

You don't have to wait until 10,000 games to quit. Just quit whenever it doesn't bring you joy.

ahwai82 #8 Posted 26 June 2020 - 02:57 PM

Corporal

• 2922 battles
  • [KAFC] KAFC

View Postgadaguna, on 24 June 2020 - 09:56 AM, said:

80% major qualification is just... Thrashy

You can't spot on your own, aiming took ages, shells landing everywhere except where it needed to be, apparent slightly sluggish mobility.

In my opinion, you only start to play the tank properly with 100% crew.

When I'm grinding tier 4, every 1% increment closer to 100% is satisfying. Faster reload, faster aiming, and more reliable shots are a nice reward for the grueling initial grind.

Problem with following others and joining the lemming train is, most of the time the train will become indecisive and turn into sitting ducks.

Coupled with light tanks that don't provide intel to your team (which seems to be plenty nowadays), it will be a matter of time before you're butchered helplessly. Unable to return fire. And yes, it's not a fun experience.

If your team is able to spot the enemies, at the very least you can return fire occasionally. But it will be a boring campfest, it's only a matter of endurance of who will become impatient first.

Also, matchmaker seems to be drunk lately.

Consecutive loss seems to be not that uncommon, at least in the past 2 weeks it's also like that for me.

This might be a bias.

But nowadays, people are not willing to communicate at all. No one bother with plan and strategy most of the time.

Back when I'm closer to your position, seems the team is more receptive at communication within battle.

Now it's mostly when a mute moron doing risky unrewarding play died, they ping the map to some guy endlessly. So much for the radial messages created by glorious WG.

If you decide to quit. In the spirit of OP's post and Marie Kondo's meme.

Just try to have fun with this game, and if it doesn't just quit and try have fun somewhere else.

Quitter never wins and winner never quits is an overrated statement, at least in this context.

So yeah.

Mixed into uncooperative team. Boring campfest. Your tank is not working properly yet. You don't feel masochist enough to endure the grueling grind. It's just not a joyful gaming experience.

You don't have to wait until 10,000 games to quit. Just quit whenever it doesn't bring you joy.

Well nothing can be done as game is designed for us to pay and im not one of the paying customer so my experience is well like you say thrashy. Wg trying to make new player experience better but still without forking out some money its gonna be rough and this is what i experience. What to do then just what it is.

Actually i play tanks as a alternative to warships, i'm thinking some mid tiers i can play have some fun but i never thought the campfest is at this rate. Sometimes i even have to entertain myself while playing with some youtube waiting for something to happen. I dont know what to do my team wanna camp enemy wanna camp so everyone camp lol until a point i got really bored i moved and dead within 2sec.

I dont know but for now just leave game for awhile. Maybe i will come back later or not. In the end just a game never torture ourself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users