Tank Review - GSOR 1008 (Holiday Ops 2021)

gsor 1008 lootbox review tank destroyer td 2021 autoloader british holiday ops

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

pr154 #1 Posted 10 December 2020 - 07:38 AM

Sergeant

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 27749 battles
  • [FIDDY] FIDDY

Hey Tankers!

With the release of Holiday Ops 2021, we take a look under the hood of another vehicle that you have the chance to secure through the lootboxes - the Tier VIII Premium British Autoloading Tank Destroyer, GSOR 1008.

Like them or not, Wargaming has reserved a number of new vehicles for distribution through lootboxes-only this holiday season, including: - Bisonte C45 (Tier VIII Italian Heavy Tank) - GSOR 1008 (Tier VIII British Tank Destroyer) - M4A1 FL 10 (Tier VI French Medium Tank)

There are few "apples for apples" comparisons to GSOR 1008, as the only same-tier autoloading tank destroyer is the French AMX AC 48 whose gun only has a 20 degree firing arc as opposed to GSOR 1008's full 360deg range of movement. For review purposes, this means context is important, but on the battlefield in means a unique way to experience World of Tanks.

Firepower

GSOR 1008 can dump it's 4-round magazine in the space of 6 seconds, unloading a potential 1,280 damage from its 105mm main armament. While this sounds impressive enough, shot-for-shot its 320 alpha damage and 226mm base penetration with standard AP rounds feel somewhat lacking compared to the guns of other same-tier turreted TD's. Their standard rounds are punching closer to 400-500 alpha with penetration values in the mid-200's thanks to calibres typically 120mm and up. Other than AMX AC 48 however, every other turreted TD needs a ~10 second reload while GSOR 1008 is capable of sending an over-exposed enemy vehicle back to the garage with a single burst.

Once that 2-key is dabbed, GSOR 1008 loads a magazine of APCR with 321mm penetration that screams out of the barrel at over 1,400m/s. That order of penetration places among the Top-12 penetrators across a Tier hosting 100 vehicles. Wheeled vehicles will soon learn to either give this tank a wide berth or encourage their team-mates to treat it as a priority target.

Like most autoloaders, the killing potential of firing a burst is offset by low damage-per-minute compared to its single-shot contemporaries. Base output of 1535DPM is substantially less than the 1895DPM you get with AMX AC 48, and well short of other turreted tank-destroyers at-tier which average closer to 2400-2500DPM. The 36-second reload on GSOR 1008's magazine also provides ample time to put the kettle on once suitable cover has been sought.

GSOR 1008 has slightly better gun handling than its larger-calibre contemporaries, with 0.33m/100m base dispersion with you gun bloom only deteriorating a further 0.08m/100m during turret traverse. Unaided by vertical stabilisers, this means a turn of the turret will bloom you out to 0.41m/100m while other turreted TD's at-tier will be dispersing at 0.49m/100m on average. By comparison, it suffers significantly higher dispersion from hull-traverse and firing on the move so do bear this in mind should you choose to use its decent mobility for a little "run and gun".

Positioning and Playstyle

Given the only other "GSOR tank" in the game is the Tier IX Light Tank GSOR 3301, you might be forgiven for thinking this 105mm-armed tanked destroyer is at the smaller end of the spectrum. It's not. Fully-equipped, this chonky boi weighs in at 44 tonnes making its 30 tonne tech-tree brother the Charioteer look like it could do with a burger.

(Historical trivia - GSOR stands for "General Staff Operational Requirement" and was a means the British government used to define specifications for vehicles under development - Exactly what that specification is in the case of GSOR 1008, we'll sadly have to leave to historians to speculate)

In spite of this weight, GSOR 1008 sits among the top-three of the sneakiest turreted Tier-VIII tank destroyers with a base camouflage value of 17.73. With a manless oscillating turret design, the gun is free to sit very high in the turret which coupled with 11 degrees of gun depression means you can present an extremely small target when properly positioned. Hard to see and hard to hit? Sounds good to me!

370m base viewrange is average for turreted tank-destroyers at-tier, but GSOR 1008 has an unusually weak radio set projecting only 570m as opposed to 700-770m of its contemporaries. To this end, guarding flanks alone or at excessive distances from your forward scouts would be inadvisable, although let's be honest nobody really cares about the radio or the radioman bleeding all over the place... GSOR 1008 makes the Top-3 for mobility among the Tier-VIII turreted tank destroyers, with a 60kph forward speed and sprightly 17kph reverse speed. The latter is underrated and invaluable for those situations when you need to dump your clip to shut down an enemy tank before seeking hard cover to avoid the vengeance of their team-mates.

In terms of protection from incoming fire, concealment and mobility should be relied upon over armour. Oftentimes your best defense will be assess the enemy HP against your remaining rounds and try to secure the kill, even if you need to eat a round from them to do so. This trick only works so many times per game, as GSOR 1008 has just 1,200HP to work with. While this is better than most other turreted tank destroyers at-tier, it's still short of Medium Tank territory.

Crew / Equipment

While developing your crew, equipment and skills should focus on concealment and viewrange. Vents, Low-Noise Exhaust and Coated Optics will allow you to continue to use your decent base mobility without compromising on viewrange or concealment.

Once the crew is developed to cover core tank-destroyer skills, there is a fantastic opportunity to experiment with more aggressive builds. Base mobility of GSOR 1008 is such that if you were to fit a turbocharger and improved rotation mechanism, you would produce a slightly overweight Lorraine 40t capable of accurate fire and useful gun depression, and developing a taste for scones over croissants. What's not to like about that?

In Summary

I have really enjoyed playing this tank! GSOR 1008's horrendous damage-per-burst has absolutely melted many foes bent on pressing my position, while its mobility enables either a quick escape or the ability to seize the initiative and begin chipping away at the enemy flank. Lovers of the Lorraine 40t will adapt very comfortably to GSOR 1008 and likely find it an upgrade from their baguette-fed autoloader.

Those lucky enough to roll GSOR 1008 in the Holiday Ops lootboxes will be rewarded with a tank that carries unique fighting capabilities among its contemporaries, and the tactical flexibility to flip the stereotypical tank-destroyer playstyle on its head once the basic crew skills are mastered.

Follow me on Facebook at "World of Tanks with pr154" for other reviews, content and event guides!

https://www.facebook...118611986712274

Edited by pr154, 10 December 2020 - 07:39 AM.

jumphonner #2 Posted 10 December 2020 - 09:13 AM

Captain

• 65716 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

Had a couple games last night at top tier........just wow. You can just destroy a tier 8 with that clip.....then need to get out of the way for the loooong reload. Rinse and repeat.

Against the higher tiers, it isnt as good but still a fun tank to drive.

Purveyor of Misinformation, Infamous BOT, Seal Clubber, Stat Padder and Skrublord. Mates of the Corrupt and The Sage of Asia ™. Somewhere above The Lupi Line.

Raseiniai Heroes Medal recipient https://youtu.be/YStYjTXUS1k

3 MOE: Eagle 7 2 MoE: 212A, M53/M55, T29, T28HTC, SU100, Pz V/IV, KV220-2, KV1, Churchill III, Matilda IV, SU85i, T14, Ram II, M4A2E4, T67, Excelsior

Chat ban free since 15 March 2020

Ezz #3 Posted 10 December 2020 - 09:18 AM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 76229 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Strikes me as fun to play but pretty horrible for gameplay. So pretty standard for wg these days.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, Balance TM and the Cartoon Connection

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

mttspiii #4 Posted 10 December 2020 - 12:06 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 34630 battles
  • [PVP] PVP

So 1008 vs Lorry 40t vs Bourra vs BC12t?

50 100 doesn't have the camo

I'm fierce and I'm feeling mighty,

I'm a golden girl, I'm an Aphrodite

CardinalMite #5 Posted 10 December 2020 - 01:46 PM

Captain

• 32942 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostEzz, on 10 December 2020 - 01:18 AM, said:

Strikes me as fun to play but pretty horrible for gameplay. So pretty standard for wg these days.

Yeah, the blatant P2W kind of spoils it for me a bit with that APDS pen and shell velocity. Basically this is another incremental step where the tiniest mistake is un-recoverable because tank health vs alpha and/or clip potential just means tanks get deleted.

“Holiday ops is balanced for Asia because a good player opening 11 boxes will get just as many decorations as a noob opening 75..”—.Murazor new head of global festive events.

"It's like you literally dont read your own posts, let alone others, make up instead what you wished others said, then put a non-sensical counter argument to that imagined post."

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience. But then if I limited myself to only arguing with non-idiots on these forums I'd literally never post"

CardinalMite #6 Posted 10 December 2020 - 01:48 PM

Captain

• 32942 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View Postjumphonner, on 10 December 2020 - 01:13 AM, said:

Had a couple games last night at top tier........just wow. You can just destroy a tier 8 with that clip.....then need to get out of the way for the loooong reload. Rinse and repeat.

Against the higher tiers, it isnt as good but still a fun tank to drive.

That said of all the the tier 8s it is probably one of the least affected by being bottom tier given the premium pen and shell velocity.

“Holiday ops is balanced for Asia because a good player opening 11 boxes will get just as many decorations as a noob opening 75..”—.Murazor new head of global festive events.

"It's like you literally dont read your own posts, let alone others, make up instead what you wished others said, then put a non-sensical counter argument to that imagined post."

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience. But then if I limited myself to only arguing with non-idiots on these forums I'd literally never post"

Ezz #7 Posted 10 December 2020 - 01:56 PM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 76229 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostCardinalMite, on 10 December 2020 - 03:46 PM, said:

Yeah, the blatant P2W kind of spoils it for me a bit with that APDS pen and shell velocity. Basically this is another incremental step where the tiniest mistake is un-recoverable because tank health vs alpha and/or clip potential just means tanks get deleted.

Kinda like the old WTE, but now it's a premium so it's stuck with us.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, Balance TM and the Cartoon Connection

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

CardinalMite #8 Posted 12 December 2020 - 08:07 AM

Captain

• 32942 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

So I won this on 3rd box which has got to be the luckiest I have been at Holiday ops over the last few years.

Had a couple of battles in it using vents,  v-stabs and Optics...

Its a very strong tank played right, while I did carry some premium ammo, I never used it,  the standard pen is, while not stellar, good enough most of the time.

That kind of pisses me off tbh, having such extreme premium ammo was just completely OTT and is utterly unnecessary. The tank would be absolutely fine with say 270-280pen premium especially with that shell velocity.

I also got the Bison, (after only 16 boxes this year).  Played a match in it on Paris where I got perfectly hull down just above the bridge and got utterly perforated by someone, through the turret driving a GSOR in a tier 8 match.

WG you [edited] up, made the GSOR, a tank that could be played very effectively (and fun, 11 degrees gun depression!)standard mode just toxic to the game.

It's a tier for tier better Char Futur, trading a longer reload for superb gun depression and vastly faster intraclip. That assessment doesn't even include the premium ammo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users