277 what in the absolute [edited]?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

FramFramson #1 Posted 27 September 2021 - 01:13 PM

Major

• 55880 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

[edited] me, what have I got to do to get the 277 to actually PENETRATE ANYTHING? Silly me for thinking 340mm heat pen is good, I guess?

Seriously, what the [edited]. I pen maybe 1 in 3 shots with it. MAYBE. Actually, now that I think about it, the pen ratio is probably below 1 in 4. I was running all gold in it because it's almost entirely for CW only, but I added some regular AP in just because I got sick of the HEAT [edited] with me. Not much improvement, since you DO need 340 pen for a lot of those face-to-face TX engagements.

I mean, I can block with it, get bounces often lots. Take positions, be in a decent spot, etc. I just can't trade or even contest the positions I take because my shots are almost completely ineffectual.

EDIT, looking at my games tonight, It's even worse. I'm seeing things like 5/1, 9/2, etc. as my average. One game I blocked near 6.5k and held off about 5 tanks for well over 5 straight min, IIRC (which did win the game because I tied up so many of them for so long), but only did 1400 damage. That would have been a loss if they had been depending on me to do my fair share of damage.

I've been shooting on green pen indicators most of the time. That thing is a [edited] LIE. Fixed pen indicator my [edited] [edited].

Perfect example: Last game I failed to pen the UFP of a TNH T Vz. 51 three time in a row with heat. Sure it was angled some, but FFS it's only 130mm! There's no spaced armour there! The best effective is only supposed to be 250-ish mm. HOW IS 340 HEAT BOUNCING EVERY TIME?!?

Edited by FramFramson, 27 September 2021 - 01:38 PM.

CardinalMite #2 Posted 27 September 2021 - 01:40 PM

Captain

• 34462 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

To be fair on some matches, particularly when outnumbered the best thing you can do is just be a blocker, tying up opponents and stalling their push. In order to block really well when at a numerical disadvantage you often have to compromise on getting good opportunities to do damage, because to do so would involve risking taking damage.  In addition if you are outnumbered you get tracked... a lot, stuck on place with little except the hardest of cupolas to shoot at.

I keep saying I am going to buy the 277 for use in ranked because I enjoyed playing the T-10 (started out a struggle but towards the end was doing much better). However since I avoid playing tier 10s in general I find it hard to justify the credits.

Question though Fram, how did you find the experience of playing the T-10? Did you find it effective for you?

I only ask because as a more mobile heavy, the T-10 (and presumably the 277 is a similar playstyle) probably would be better fighting mediums rather than other heavies. At least that is how I found it worked.

So perhaps you might want to consider positioning more as a flanking heavy rather than slogging it vs others front on so much? Just a suggestion. 

Edited by CardinalMite, 27 September 2021 - 01:44 PM.

“Holiday ops is balanced for Asia because a good player opening 11 boxes will get just as many decorations as a noob opening 75..”—.Murazor new head of global festive events.

"It's like you literally dont read your own posts, let alone others, make up instead what you wished others said, then put a non-sensical counter argument to that imagined post."

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience. But then if I limited myself to only arguing with non-idiots on these forums I'd literally never post"

FramFramson #3 Posted 27 September 2021 - 01:43 PM

Major

• 55880 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

I do tend to follow the mediums where feasible. Sometimes you gotta tank though. I wouldn't be bitching about bouncing SConq turrets in some head-on folly. But like... I DID have the flat side of a Maus right in front of me several times tonight and almost none of those shots penned even flat on, point blank. What the hell gives?

I had no major problems with the T-10. Even still have mine. Of course 330mm HEAT at Tier 9 is a bit different from 340mm at TX.

Edited by FramFramson, 27 September 2021 - 01:52 PM.

wasaabi #4 Posted 27 September 2021 - 04:03 PM

This Dude Abides

• Senior Moderator
  • 23585 battles
  • [FIDDY] FIDDY

Fram I would suggest you use the Battle Hits mod you can get in Aslain's pack, it shows where your shells actually hit (and also the ones that hit you) so you can see if it actually landed in a penetrable spot.  Compare the places it hits (and the angle) to the armour model in tanks.gg and you should get an idea.

Certainly the 277 gun is trollish so best fired when stationary and use all the assistance you can from crew and equipment and you will find it can pen.

WoT ANZ Community Contributor http://www.youtube.com/c/BadTanking

FramFramson #5 Posted 27 September 2021 - 04:36 PM

Major

• 55880 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

View Postwasaabi, on 27 September 2021 - 03:03 AM, said:

Fram I would suggest you use the Battle Hits mod you can get in Aslain's pack, it shows where your shells actually hit (and also the ones that hit you) so you can see if it actually landed in a penetrable spot.  Compare the places it hits (and the angle) to the armour model in tanks.gg and you should get an idea.

Certainly the 277 gun is trollish so best fired when stationary and use all the assistance you can from crew and equipment and you will find it can pen.

What baffles me is that I never had these issues when it was exclusively a CW tank I didn't play in randoms.

Several_Sins #6 Posted 28 September 2021 - 06:34 AM

Arty Sympathizer

• Beta-Tester
  • 26957 battles
  • [RNS] RNS

I haven't had the same experience with the 277 as you, BUT, the gun is super trollish like wasaabi says.

I tend to use it as a brawler and wiggle wiggle wiggle to stop people penning it's IS-3 [edit] turret. 

Note though, and honestly don't know if it's a regional thing - but I only have it on my NA account and the playstyles tend to be a bit different. Often enough when I do tend to follow the mediums the games are almost thrown because of it's accuracy. Maybe it can be mitigated by equipment and crews, but again, I've got it set up as a brawler.

340 heat pen should be enough for most situations? Ahhh, the philosophy of Russian guns.

AMD Ryzen 5 2700X @ 4.2Ghz  |  16GB DDR4  | RX 5600 XT

Custom loop, inside a glass desk.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users