How do you maintain mods which alter game text so they're up to date without rewriting them from...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

FramFramson #1 Posted 01 October 2021 - 04:36 AM

Major

• 57017 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

This is for simple stuff like crew names, tank descriptions, etc.

I know how to alter the in game text where you convert between the .mo and .po files the game's text is stored in (.mo is the editable format, .po is what the game actually uses).

Unfortunately, you can't have .po files which ONLY contain modded content - the game doesn't "fill in the blanks". So as far as I know, you can only edit in-game text by making copies of the entire relevant text file (for example, 'france_tankmen.po' if you wanted to give a German crewman a silly name), then edit it and put it in an appropriate mod folder.

This isn't a big problem, except that every time there's a new event or content, the game's base text files change, leaving new text items broken. So for example the Waffentrager special crew are currently showing in-game by their file names, e.g. 'WT_event_commander_G2_' or something like that (don't have it right in front of me). So if I have text changes to 'france_tankmen.po', I need to basically extract the .mo, make all my changes again, and then replace the file. Only some lists have quite a few changes so not only is this tedious, but sometimes it's easy for me to forget what changes I've made.

Is there any way to maintain .mo files such that I can copy my edits over to a few file quickly? Or any other solution?

Aslain #2 Posted 01 October 2021 - 02:32 PM

Captain

• 49 battles
I have a solution which I'm using for myself, it's a batch script that is automaticaly converting from mo to po and back, and patching what's needed to be patched, maybe it's not perfect but it does it's job. Contact me privately if you are interested in help, preferably on discord https://discord.gg/6eWrNfT

Edited by Aslain, 01 October 2021 - 03:22 PM.

FramFramson #3 Posted 02 October 2021 - 01:08 AM

Major

• 57017 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

Wow, a reply from Aslain? Pretty neat that a minor question from a server you don't normally play on attracted your of attention.

Anyway, sounds great, will hit you up on Discord for sure to give it a try!

Aslain #4 Posted 02 October 2021 - 05:25 PM

Captain

• 49 battles

View PostFramFramson, on 01 October 2021 - 05:08 PM, said:

Wow, a reply from Aslain? Pretty neat that a minor question from a server you don't normally play on attracted your of attention.

Anyway, sounds great, will hit you up on Discord for sure to give it a try!

It's ok, I'm happy I can share some knowledge :)

AlexTheKid72 #5 Posted 03 October 2021 - 06:27 AM

Staff sergeant

• 35629 battles
  • [RAWR-] RAWR-

View PostAslain, on 01 October 2021 - 02:32 PM, said:

I have a solution which I'm using for myself, it's a batch script that is automaticaly converting from mo to po and back, and patching what's needed to be patched, maybe it's not perfect but it does it's job. Contact me privately if you are interested in help, preferably on discord https://discord.gg/6eWrNfT

Thankyou for your services to the community.
One day I'll pay you dude :)

signature.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users