How some HEAVY players unknowingly remove their arty from the fight

tactics spg heavy tanks

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

HyderaBadass1 #1 Posted 18 October 2021 - 11:37 PM

Private

• 6927 battles

Answer: By pushing too hard around "corners" too early in the battle, they put the enemy's heavies behind protective cover.

In not all but many maps in WOT, masses of heavy tanks meet at a choke point that is like a corner. Early in the battle, when both sides are almost equally matched, a key to success is which side's heavies have more  supporting artillery (SPG) fire pounding the opposite side's tanks. With their adversary heavies being repeatedly stunned and damaged by supporting artillery, their own force gets multiplied.

However, artillery shells don't fall straight down like bombs from an airplane, they angle in. So, when the enemy is pushed and held around the corner, friendly arty only have line of fire into mountain stone or building bricks -- they're deprived of enemy units to shoot at. Heavy drivers can gain from having map awareness of friendly arty positioning and where these corners are. Sometimes, you can gain a ton by pulling back or holding back only slightly, drawing the enemy into a hail of SPG shells. (Yes, later in the battle when one side has weakened, it's a great idea to push around the corner, but not too soon in a way that removes your team's firepower from play.)

Even late in games when I'm playing an SPG, sometimes I wish I could easily direct message a single heavy holding a corner and say, "Pull back just slightly -- I can help you take that last guy out."

Question: So why don't the arty just relocate so they aren't blocked by the corner anymore? Well, they'd love to, but often the corner is sharp enough that to get a firing angle, they'd put themselves in the enemy heavies' sights. Also, they often can't relocate without exposing themselves to being spotted and quickly eliminated. Don't forget, most SPGs are have almost no armor and hit points, and many move slowly, so relocating can be suicide.

This isn't an automatic victory formula, but something heavy players should consider in certain tactical situations.

Attached Files

• Attached File   WOT maps.png   547.06K

Edited by HyderaBadass1, 18 October 2021 - 11:39 PM.

don_WarDaddy_AVI #2 Posted 19 October 2021 - 01:31 AM

No Party, Without Arty!

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 10778 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

View PostHyderaBadass1, on 18 October 2021 - 08:37 PM, said:

Answer: By pushing too hard around "corners" too early in the battle, they put the enemy's heavies behind protective cover.

In not all but many maps in WOT, masses of heavy tanks meet at a choke point that is like a corner. Early in the battle, when both sides are almost equally matched, a key to success is which side's heavies have more  supporting artillery (SPG) fire pounding the opposite side's tanks. With their adversary heavies being repeatedly stunned and damaged by supporting artillery, their own force gets multiplied.

However, artillery shells don't fall straight down like bombs from an airplane, they angle in. So, when the enemy is pushed and held around the corner, friendly arty only have line of fire into mountain stone or building bricks -- they're deprived of enemy units to shoot at. Heavy drivers can gain from having map awareness of friendly arty positioning and where these corners are. Sometimes, you can gain a ton by pulling back or holding back only slightly, drawing the enemy into a hail of SPG shells. (Yes, later in the battle when one side has weakened, it's a great idea to push around the corner, but not too soon in a way that removes your team's firepower from play.)

Even late in games when I'm playing an SPG, sometimes I wish I could easily direct message a single heavy holding a corner and say, "Pull back just slightly -- I can help you take that last guy out."

Question: So why don't the arty just relocate so they aren't blocked by the corner anymore? Well, they'd love to, but often the corner is sharp enough that to get a firing angle, they'd put themselves in the enemy heavies' sights. Also, they often can't relocate without exposing themselves to being spotted and quickly eliminated. Don't forget, most SPGs are have almost no armor and hit points, and many move slowly, so relocating can be suicide.

This isn't an automatic victory formula, but something heavy players should consider in certain tactical situations.

I completely agree with this post. Once I was playing a game with O-I and my platoonmate was in an SPG Hummel. He literally said to me to this, fall-back... you are scaring them, let them come.
:bush:

MrFlibbleIsVeryCross #3 Posted 19 October 2021 - 06:16 AM

Private

• 282 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
I have some questions.

- If bot accounts can manage 45% playing in arty and a human can't while maining arty, are they actually helping the team?
- Are heavy tank players really going to take advice from an arty main?

Napalmer #4 Posted 19 October 2021 - 11:15 AM

Objectionable Individual

• Community Contributor
  • 54483 battles
  • [L1ME] L1ME
Honestly I'm not going to trust an artillery to hit their shots, let alone 'support' me. If they're missing out on damage that I'm getting instead, too bad so sad.

3-Marked Tanks: Chaffee, Pz. T25, KV-220-2, KV-1, T-34S, Chi-Nu-Kai, Hellcat, T37, T78, WZ-131G FT, AMX 12T, Cromwell, Skoda T25, SU-100, King Tiger ©, T71 DA, IS-3, Super Pershing, T-54, E 50, T-10, T57 Heavy, Object 140, IS-7, E100, Maus, Centurion Action X, Badger, Super Conqueror, AMX 50B, STB-1, Strv 103B

Twitch.tv/TheNapalmer

Interested in ANZ Frontlines? Join the discord HERE and join the nightly games!

Ezz #5 Posted 19 October 2021 - 01:11 PM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 77831 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostNapalmer, on 19 October 2021 - 01:15 PM, said:

Honestly I'm not going to trust an artillery to hit their shots, let alone 'support' me. If they're missing out on damage that I'm getting instead, too bad so sad.

So much this.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, Balance TM and the Cartoon Connection

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

CelestiaLudenberg #6 Posted 19 October 2021 - 04:12 PM

On Conan's Naughty List

• 26036 battles
  • [IMPCT] IMPCT

When you show her all 96kw from your mighty 20E

__xXx_Fury_o7o7o7 #7 Posted 19 October 2021 - 04:56 PM

Sergeant

• 22197 battles
  • [FIDDY] FIDDY

View PostNapalmer, on 19 October 2021 - 01:15 PM, said:

Agree 100%

signature.pnggwQAWQl.gif

Member Council of Armored Forces 

mttspiii #8 Posted 20 October 2021 - 09:41 AM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 35336 battles
  • [KYLIE] KYLIE

View PostNapalmer, on 19 October 2021 - 11:15 AM, said:

This. The best defense an HT gets in the game is to intimidate its opponents into not shooting at it, and the best way to do so is to take a corner and leaving the enemy to guess if there's a lone HT there, or ten.

Retreating to lure enemies into arty killzones means, especially in those maps, leaving good positions for the enemy tanks to occupy while your HT's are exposing their sides or rears or LFP's to advancing enemy fire, only for your team's arty to try hitting them for 300 damage every 30 seconds or so.

I'm fierce and I'm feeling mighty,

I'm a golden girl, I'm an Aphrodite

HyderaBadass1 #9 Posted 20 October 2021 - 11:29 AM

Private

• 6927 battles
Yep, LOL. I expected a blast of hate, since (a) guys attracted to heavies are a take-charge do it yourself personality type generally,  (b) it's good for them to push in a lot of situations, and ( c) many of the Heavy guys just generally hate arty and would like the game better without it.

I admit, I can't lecture unicum-WR Heavy drivers with 40,000-70,000 more battles of experience than me. They know what they're doing and don't take advice from anyone. (Come to think of it, why would they be reading a Game Guides & Tutorials section of the Forum?)

Anyway, purpose of post was just to say, it's something to think about in some situations, if you've got 2 or 3 SPGs, say, and want a hand from them. Hanging back and letting them come to you works in some situations, and it doesn't hurt to be aware of what SPG firepower is available behind you.

Edited by HyderaBadass1, 20 October 2021 - 11:29 AM.

Zynth #10 Posted 20 October 2021 - 10:32 PM

Aufklärungspanzer Panther

• 27023 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

Learn better positioning for artillery.

If you want to stay in a position that can't support your team, its your loss, move and you can support anywhere on the map

Edited by Zynth, 20 October 2021 - 10:32 PM.

Welcome back, friend. 7th March 2021.

This account is proudly sponsored by Wargaming.

dirty_clicker #11 Posted 20 October 2021 - 11:11 PM

Corporal

• 2314 battles
  • [ARTY] ARTY

View PostZynth, on 20 October 2021 - 10:32 PM, said:

If you want to stay in a position that can't support your team, its your loss, move and you can support anywhere on the map

Try moving to a place with good shots when your entire team either camps one corner or lemmings one way.

mttspiii #12 Posted 21 October 2021 - 03:11 PM

Major

• Beta-Tester
  • 35336 battles
  • [KYLIE] KYLIE

View PostHyderaBadass1, on 20 October 2021 - 11:29 AM, said:

Yep, LOL. I expected a blast of hate, since (a) guys attracted to heavies are a take-charge do it yourself personality type generally,  (b) it's good for them to push in a lot of situations, and ( c) many of the Heavy guys just generally hate arty and would like the game better without it.

I admit, I can't lecture unicum-WR Heavy drivers with 40,000-70,000 more battles of experience than me. They know what they're doing and don't take advice from anyone. (Come to think of it, why would they be reading a Game Guides & Tutorials section of the Forum?)

Anyway, purpose of post was just to say, it's something to think about in some situations, if you've got 2 or 3 SPGs, say, and want a hand from them. Hanging back and letting them come to you works in some situations, and it doesn't hurt to be aware of what SPG firepower is available behind you.

You have 20-30 seconds to plan your shots and reposition accordingly, without the threat of enemy tanks suddenly shooting at you when they see a weakness in your positioning. HT's don't have that leisure.

I'm fierce and I'm feeling mighty,

I'm a golden girl, I'm an Aphrodite

spacewolf #13 Posted 22 October 2021 - 03:57 AM

I still think it's morally wrong so in fact I'm right.

• Beta-Tester
  • 80831 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Let's be honest: arty are the cyclists of the WOT world.

Proudly sponsored by WG

AlexTheKid72 #14 Posted 23 October 2021 - 05:03 AM

Staff sergeant

• 35308 battles
  • [RAWR-] RAWR-

View PostHyderaBadass1, on 20 October 2021 - 11:29 AM, said:

I'll agree for Airfield.
W, S, A and D work for arty as well as other classes. It doesn't hurt to position your arty where there's angles on the fight.

signature.png

4SUM_ROX_BATMAN #15 Posted 25 October 2021 - 05:16 PM

Sergeant

• 25686 battles
  • [DUCKY] DUCKY

Content-Removed

Off-Topic, User-Warned

__xXx_Fury_o7o7o7

"JS, JS They ain't made for the shit, they're soft, I done drill first think last, All these man wan' talk 'bout drill, they do drill rap but ain't got no heart"

"Deqwan got bored in his arm real quick 'cah the boy tried to cover his tizzac, Mars got cheffed by the W street true say it was me that did that, Rage is dead, SK's dead, all now none of us man been packed ride for Latz On sight got on-sighted all now he ain't been back"

___Speed___ #16 Posted 25 October 2021 - 05:39 PM

Corporal

• 4891 battles
  • [DUCKY] DUCKY

Content-Removed

Off-Topic, User-Warned

__xXx_Fury_o7o7o7

4SUM_ROX_BATMAN #17 Posted 25 October 2021 - 05:43 PM

Sergeant

• 25686 battles
  • [DUCKY] DUCKY

Content-Removed, User Already Warned

__xXx_Fury_o7o7o7

"JS, JS They ain't made for the shit, they're soft, I done drill first think last, All these man wan' talk 'bout drill, they do drill rap but ain't got no heart"

"Deqwan got bored in his arm real quick 'cah the boy tried to cover his tizzac, Mars got cheffed by the W street true say it was me that did that, Rage is dead, SK's dead, all now none of us man been packed ride for Latz On sight got on-sighted all now he ain't been back"

4SUM_ROX_BATMAN #18 Posted 25 October 2021 - 05:48 PM

Sergeant

• 25686 battles
  • [DUCKY] DUCKY

Content-Removed, User Already Warned

__xXx_Fury_o7o7o7

4HEAD_rEaLdArKNiNjA_xDdD #19 Posted 25 October 2021 - 07:07 PM

wait, I can change this?

• 20417 battles
  • [DUCKY] DUCKY

View PostZynth, on 21 October 2021 - 12:32 AM, said:

Just don't play arty, problem solved

NA Transferree

3 marks: Object 140, IS-7, T110E5, Conqueror, WZ-111 111 1 1 11 1-4, T-10, M103, T-44, IS-3, T26E4, T32, T29, M6 Type 64

__xXx_Fury_o7o7o7 #20 Posted 25 October 2021 - 07:15 PM

Sergeant

• 22197 battles
  • [FIDDY] FIDDY
All please try and keep to the topic of the thread.

signature.pnggwQAWQl.gif

Member Council of Armored Forces 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users