Do you have a method of playstyle to account for lag?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

azmania3000 #1 Posted 21 June 2022 - 09:16 AM

Captain

• 53328 battles
  • [SUITS] SUITS

Because I don't. I let the subconscious do the heavy lifting and go by feel. Just trying allow visual cues of tank movement and shot placement to find rythmn.
This often leads to bouts of rage, tinfoil claims of enemy spies lurking in the shadows and excessive smoke breaks, because I know that lag is a handicap.

The problem: my ping to HK reports in a range from 130-150
The solution; git gud loser

Is there a more methodical process to make the game experience more enjoyable? e.g. listening to music at a tempo similar to delay? 
Or do I just have to swallow the fact that;

-peek-a-boo tactics and snapshots have low chance of success

-my inputs are not precise and I am prone over-peek
-I must increase exposure time when taking shots

-Playing LT's really sucks

I know that there is a lag compensation mechanic which messes with my brain even harder.

Ezz #2 Posted 21 June 2022 - 09:48 AM

How many flipping posts do I need to get past Major?

• Beta-Tester
  • 78150 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

Arty of course because RNG clicking is RNG clicking.

Reducing peaks etc. helps as you note. And beyond that i revert to a shoot from camo style wherever appropriate - never really got the groove of heavies as a result.

Noting that things like driving and aiming are possible to adapt to (git gud looozah). It's mostly reaction based issues where you'll be at the biggest disadvantage. Hence stuff like lights are manageable as long as you are mostly working with range, camo as opposed to CQ brawling etc..

Also, don't be afraid to be an auto aim baddy at times. Can really help by unloading some of the focus required for aiming so you can worry more about the driving aspect.

Plus, always remember EBR crashes, cliff leaps and accidental drownings in pubs are expected and encouraged.

Edited by Ezz, 21 June 2022 - 09:50 AM.

Who the [edited] are you? Get Spoofed! "wouldn't be a proper WG balance change if they didn't [edited] something up after all "

>9000 cynicism brought to you by P2W, Balance TM and the Cartoon Connection

R. Pubbie: "why are all PBKAC players so rude, arrogant and nasty? and why do Mods favor them?"

Aoyama_Blue_Mountain #3 Posted 21 June 2022 - 11:02 AM

Blue Mountain Aoyama

• Beta-Tester
  • 91005 battles
  • [BIGD] BIGD
Play more LT and scout more, use more autoaim.

azmania3000 #4 Posted 21 June 2022 - 11:46 AM

Captain

• 53328 battles
  • [SUITS] SUITS

View PostAoyama_Blue_Mountain, on 21 June 2022 - 01:02 PM, said:

Play more LT and scout more, use more autoaim.

ok ill try more autoaims and see if anything happens

SanyaVladimirovnaLitvyak #5 Posted 21 June 2022 - 12:20 PM

Captain

• 59099 battles
  • [FORT] FORT

I also let my subconscious do the work, but as long as the ping is stable, I feel I can trust my gut as to what will hit regardless of what is actually on screen.

More than once I've shot without thinking, and on screen there is no way there is a line of sight, only to have the game register a penetration after 150-200ping.

Autoaim is useful, as long as you're within the right balance of shell velocity, distance from enemy, and lateral movement relative to each other.

When lag is high, I usually either play tanks with high shell velocity to autoaim, or tanks that dont require snapshots like scouts and flankers, or even short range autoloaders as you can just autoaim when ur circling an enemy.

If its showing Xmas lights and the ping is unstable I just stop. Not really worth the stress.

PS: stable 130ping is very playable and snapshot-able, I used to have 120-140ping at best when the server was in SG. Or maybe I just don't know what I'm missing from living next to the server

Edited by SanyaVladimirovnaLitvyak, 21 June 2022 - 12:21 PM.

FramFramson #6 Posted 21 June 2022 - 12:51 PM

Major

• 62666 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-

230-240 ping every day.

- Make sure to play with Server Reticle on. I don't care how awkward it might feel, it is an absolute MUST

- Also, even with Server Reticle, if you can afford to, sometimes wait a half second to take the shot even when fully aimed, just to ensure server matches your aim.

- Autoaim is a friend not an enemy at that ping (confirms server is receiving the correct aim and tracking at all times, so long as your turret traverse is fast enough), just realize you need fast shells to make it work at distance against moving targets.

- Related: Sometimes ya just gotta shoot more gold for the higher shell velocity.

- Stealth & positional gameplay over brawling, ESEPECIALLY when it comes to ridgefighting, which is shit with high ping.

- On the other hand, heavy enough armour doesn't care what your ping is if positioned correctly. But we're talking HEAVY armour for it's tier, like angled E-hundo, T95, etc.

- While the pen indicator still works, it becomes quite unreliable at higher pings. You'll need to learn when to second-guess it and take the shot (or not take the shot) in spite of the indicator.

- Picking tanks with good dispersion and accuracy becomes more important than it otherwise would.

- Don't be afraid to use food or bounty/bonds gear to buff a tank you play often, or going whole hog on crew books to. You need what edge you can get to offset your handicap. Costs credits of course, and means you have to invest more resources into fewer tanks, but better for crappy ping to mean a lower average credit intake rather than low damage and chronic losing.

- Can always play sky toilet! :P

- RAMMING SPEED :izmena:

You can still brawl, snipe, snapshot and all the rest, but just bear in mind that your chance of success will be lower, so that that into account when gambling on riskier shots or exposures. You are 100% more likely to lose more HP, earlier, if you just play "normally".

Edited by FramFramson, 21 June 2022 - 12:56 PM.

azmania3000 #7 Posted 22 June 2022 - 07:51 AM

Captain

• 53328 battles
  • [SUITS] SUITS

Nope that's it for me.

Maybe I'll play for 2-3 hours on ANZ but I can't hack it anymore. It's unplayable for me. I need late aim corrections being a southpaw and can't adjust position with sticky WASD keys.

Cant peek, cant snapshot, cant make clutch plays. I cant carry. Stupid packet loss. The game takes a few extra moments on killshots where it feels like I'm drifting in space.

Lagg blows like someone's mother

FramFramson #8 Posted 22 June 2022 - 10:01 AM

Major

• 62666 battles
  • [-1AR-] -1AR-
Oh, packet loss - that's very different. Packet loss means you're plain [edited].

struth #9 Posted 22 June 2022 - 02:46 PM

Crikey

• 54565 battles
  • [1ARRV] 1ARRV

Are you new to lag?

I have always played with it, I guess you adjust.

My HK ping recently went from average 250 red dot to average 140 green dot, the difference is much better, so I don't see 140 ping as so bad.

VN server used to give me 120 ping.

I find at 140 ping, or 0.14 seconds lag, the game is reasonably playable and snap shots are easier, but my reflexes are not what they once were, I probably run at about 900 ping anyway :confused: 

The best way to deal with it however is to blame your WR on bad ping

steeve_old #10 Posted 22 June 2022 - 04:52 PM

Corporal

• 45338 battles

lag +packet loss=arty and icecream

chill watch the flow click some shite

azmania3000 #11 Posted 22 June 2022 - 11:17 PM

Captain

• 53328 battles
  • [SUITS] SUITS

View Poststruth, on 22 June 2022 - 04:46 PM, said:

Are you new to lag?

I find at 140 ping, or 0.14 seconds lag, the game is reasonably playable and snap shots are easier, but my reflexes are not what they once were, I probably run at about 900 ping anyway :confused: 

The best way to deal with it however is to blame your WR on bad ping

eh not new to lag but wanted to tighten my gameplay. I think there's some times of day where packet loss is insane and I'm pretty sure the computer is giving me auto-bounce shots. Spikes above 150 are a death sentence.

For me its the difference between HK and ANZ is penning 40% of shots and penning 75%. This converts to more wins and a positive credit balance.

Perhaps this is the biggest stickler; I want to F2P high tier and its pretty hard to buy new tanks if you're dropping 50k+ credits per tier X battle

And there's no way im dropping coin on this game for a 3 hour window to babysit the kids

Edited by azmania3000, 22 June 2022 - 11:22 PM.

teysanook #12 Posted 23 June 2022 - 04:03 PM

Major

• Senior Moderator
  • 37932 battles
  • [T1RKX] T1RKX
For me, I would use VPN for any acceptable routing, or else complain to ISP, and had their technical team worked at night. :child:

มองหารหัสเชิญชวนอยู่หรือกรอกรหัสนี้ไปสิ TANKSANOOK สมัครบัญชีใหม่ได้ที่ https://asia.wargaming.net/registration/th/ อย่าลืมกด "มีรหัสเชิญ?" เพื่อใส่รหัสด้วยนะ

ประสบปัญหาเกี่ยวกับตัวเกม หรือต้องการติดต่อกับทางทีมงานอย่างนั้นหรือ ภาษาไทยก็มีให้บริการนะ เข้าไปดูได้ที่ ช่องทางติดต่อทีมงานเมื่อพบปัญหาผ่านทางศูนย์บริการลูกค้าและ Discord ทางการ

หากมีปัญหาการเชื่อมต่อ ไม่ว่าจะถูกตัดออกจากเซิร์ฟเวอร์ แล็ก หรือกระตุก ขอให้ดูที่ ประสบปัญหาการเชื่อมต่ออยู่หรือ มาอ่านกระทู้นี้ก่อน

กำหนดเวลาปิดดูแลบำรุงประจำสัปดาห์ของ World of Tanks ภูมิภาคเอเชีย ดูได้ที่ กำหนดเวลาการปิดบำรุงดูแลเซิร์ฟเวอร์ประจำสัปดาห์

เข้าร่วมพูดคุยกับทีมงานหรือผู้เล่นไทยได้ที่ Discord ทางการของ World of Tanks APAC ช่อง 'ภาษาไทย' หรือได้ที่่ช่องสนทนาภายในตัวเกม WoTTH

หากพบการกระทำผิดกฎเกม อย่าลังเลที่จะส่งแจ้งมาได้ทางข้อความส่วนตัว (Private Message)

ทีมงานผู้ดูแลกระดานสนทนาภาษาไทย

teysanook - Senior moderator

_Shimada_Arisu_ - Moderator

Causider - Moderator

Yoriya - Moderator

อย่าลังเลที่จะติดต่อพวกเขาหากคุณกำลังประสบกับปัญหา หรือต้องการความช่วยเหลือในด้านใดก็ตาม :honoring:

azmania3000 #13 Posted 23 June 2022 - 04:51 PM

Captain

• 53328 battles
  • [SUITS] SUITS

View Postteysanook, on 23 June 2022 - 06:03 PM, said:

For me, I would use VPN for any acceptable routing, or else complain to ISP, and had their technical team worked at night. :child:

yeh ive used vpn before but the cost to play a game is too much.
Looked at the router today and and im not sure my QoS has been active.

I pushed the gaming button for frig's sake
but see you heff to read the fineprint

So, to speak technically; if I didn't number the boxes will my gaming button work?

azmania3000 #14 Posted 23 June 2022 - 04:57 PM

Captain

• 53328 battles
  • [SUITS] SUITS
I tried a HK test game just now and seem somewhat satisfied

It's a bit rich on the credits though. Even with prem account and not using consumables, hitting over 85% sprem won't make bank. poor hellcat

struth #15 Posted 24 June 2022 - 01:14 PM

Crikey

• 54565 battles
  • [1ARRV] 1ARRV

View Postazmania3000, on 23 June 2022 - 01:17 AM, said:

eh not new to lag but wanted to tighten my gameplay. I think there's some times of day where packet loss is insane and I'm pretty sure the computer is giving me auto-bounce shots. Spikes above 150 are a death sentence.

For me its the difference between HK and ANZ is penning 40% of shots and penning 75%. This converts to more wins and a positive credit balance.

Perhaps this is the biggest stickler; I want to F2P high tier and its pretty hard to buy new tanks if you're dropping 50k+ credits per tier X battle

And there's no way im dropping coin on this game for a 3 hour window to babysit the kids

Yep, high packet loss makes the game unplayable and ruins the little time I get to enjoy shooting tanks sometimes too.

I find tier 7 and the lack of hard core or experienced gamers there is forgiving of ping issues. It is also pretty forgiving on the credits side.

The cost of new tanks is hard though, I tend to sell old tanks I don't use anymore to fund new ones and only really run a few of the tanks in the garage regularly. I can see it would be hard to come up with enough credits to buy high tier tanks in F2P mode though.

I also run premium time so that helps. Current session stats put my hits at 63% and pens at 69% after 125 games (my ping during those games was between 130 to 150 with no really bad packet loss) . I choose my shots and really only fire when I am confident of penning, so only fire with green pen marker. I'm sure that helps me with credit costs, but of course wins = more credits so you still have do your best to enhance the teams chances while picking your shots.

As for ping though, I think being choosey about when to and not to shoot and doing my best to be in sync with the days ping levels by leading a bit more, or understanding that the ping simply prevents some shots being worth firing. For example trying to hit someone's small cupola at close range when playing pokey pokey against them, just is not easy with over 100 ping, those times are really when the 0.1 second lag effects you most. It is not so bad for long range shooting though.

So a bit of sniping helps offset ping for me.

Of course tanks with  high velocity shells help a lot too.

TLDR:

Use high velocity rounds

Avoid close range pokey pokey fights

Adjust to ping with regards to leading shots

Play a longer range game

Find a way to contribute regularly to the team with a mid to long range game.

Cheers

Edit.

PS. just noticed your stats, so I am not trying to teach you how to suck eggs, just saying what helps me to overcome ping.

Edited by struth, 24 June 2022 - 01:17 PM.

azmania3000 #16 Posted 24 June 2022 - 04:54 PM

Captain

• 53328 battles
  • [SUITS] SUITS

View Poststruth, on 24 June 2022 - 03:14 PM, said:

TLDR:

Use high velocity rounds

Avoid close range pokey pokey fights

Adjust to ping with regards to leading shots

Play a longer range game

Find a way to contribute regularly to the team with a mid to long range game.

All advise is warmly received. Think i resolved the packet lossses and am now just dealing with lagg...

Ah bless you auto-aim. Rather than point the gun centre-mass it just has to, I mean has to point at an autobounce angle of the tank's front plate, shooting in line with the dead tank gun

Lul just kidding; its a 0 dmg track shot

Angus775n #17 Posted 25 June 2022 - 08:08 AM

Staff sergeant

• 78955 battles
  • [PRC] PRC

yeah, auto aim can be a problem. Depends which tanks are involved, the heights of the two tanks can lead to no pens, even when circling.

But on the balance it does make life easier and means I can concentrate on driving, as opposed to crashing into stuff.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users